By Apex_Predator87 0 Comments
Codenames: Apex, the Apex Predator, the Dark Knight, the Dark Avenger, Ms. America.
Real Name: Mary. Unknown last name.
Current Alias: Mary Wayne.
Class: Hero & Vigilante.
Occupation: Rich Recluse.
Base Of Operations: General City
Affiliation: None. Formerly the Justice Alliance in the 1940‘s.
Citizenship: United States with no criminal record.
Place of Birth: Unknown.
Education: Equal to College level and several PhD’s.
Marital Status: Widow.
Relatives: Jackson (Husband, deceased). Sarah, Jack, Karen and John (Children, deceased). No known extended family or siblings.
Weight: 250 lbs. The density of her skeletal structure causes her to weigh more than she would under normal circumstances.
Physical Form: Mary is a very beautiful woman who has an athletic, very well toned, build with a shapely figure.
Pyche Profile: Mary has suffered a lot of trauma over the course of her long life. She has witnessed her husband die in her arms and seen the horrors of war first hand. Mary has witnessed the death of many friends and loved ones while she continues to live on. She has fought many villains who have tried to take control of her mind, tortured her and even experimented on her. Because of this, Mary suffers from post traumatic stress disorder to this very day and tends to keep to herself, preferring to be alone rather than be around people.
Created by: ParagonxXx
POWERS & ABILITIES
Berserker Rage: In times of extreme rage, duress or pain, Mary's Berserker Rage will activate. When Apex is under this Berserker Rage, she is unable to tell the difference between friend and foe, all her enhanced senses become all the more sharper, she becomes 2x stronger, her speed increases by double and she heals from any injury in seconds no matter how severe.
Enhanced Senses: Apex possesses enhanced senses that are comparable to those of the animal kingdom. She can see at far greater distances, with perfect clarity, than an ordinary human up to at least 2 miles distant. She retains this same level of clarity even in near total darkness and complete darkness. Apex's hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, allowing her to detect sounds ordinary humans couldn't hear at a greater distance, enough to hear a teardrop in another room that has thick walls with enough focus. She is able to recognize people and objects by scent, even if they are well hidden. Apex can track a target by scent, even if the scent has been greatly eroded by time and weather factors, with an extraordinary degree of success. She can also use her keen sense of smell to detect lies due to chemical changes within a person's scent and hearing any irregularities in their heart beats.
Healing Factor: Apex has a near miraculous healing process, typically referred to as her mutant healing factor, that regenerates damaged or destroyed tissues of her body far beyond the capabilities of an ordinary human. Mary can regenerate greatly damaged or destroyed tissue within a few seconds. Apex has been shown to fully heal from numerous gunshot wounds, severe burns covering most of her body and regenerate missing eyes within a matter of seconds. Among the more extreme depictions of her healing factor involves Mary having her skin, muscles and internal organs incinerated from her skeleton only to fully regenerate the tissue within minutes. Apex can simply regenerate missing limbs or organs in a matter of hours.
In addition to accelerated healing of physical traumas, Apex's healing factor makes her extraordinarily resistant to diseases, drugs and toxins. However, she can still suffer the immediate effects of such substances in massive quantities; For example, Apex has been incapacitated on several occasions with massive amounts of powerful drugs and poisons. On at least one occasion, she was once kept anesthetized by one of her enemies when they constantly pumped 120 milliliters of anesthetic a minute into her system.
Although her body heals, Apex's healing factor does not suppress the pain she endures while injured. Because of this, Mary does not relish the thought of being hurt and going into situations where extreme pain is certain. On occasion, she has deliberately injured herself, or allowed herself, to be injured for varying reasons, including freeing herself from capture, intimidation, strategy or simply indulging her brave nature.
- : Apex's healing factor also dramatically affects her aging process, allowing her to live far beyond the normal lifespan of a human. Mary retains the health, appearance and physical vitality of a woman in the physical prime of her life, despite being well over 100 years of age. While seemingly ageless, it is unknown exactly how great her healing factor extends her life expectancy.
- : Apex’s healing factor is so powerful, she is able to use her blood to heal others of their injuries, illnesses and other life threatening situations so long as her blood is either injected or drips upon an open wound.
- : Due to a combination of her healing factor and the traumatic events she has experienced throughout her life, Apex's mind is highly resistant to telepathic assault and probing. Her mind also possesses what she refers to as "mental scar tissue" created by all of the traumatic events over the course of her life. It acts as a type of natural defense, even against the most powerful telepaths.
Reactionary Adaptation: Apex is able to adapt to any situation regardless of the source. On one occasion, she was hit by a gun that emitted powerful sound waves that would have turned her brain to jelly. However, she adapted to the situation when her auditory canals closed up, making her impervious to the sound weapon. On another occasion, Apex was in danger of drowning and her body adapted by giving her the gills of a fish to enable her to breathe underwater. In the best example of this power yet, Mary was able to adapt to the energy powers of a super being trying to kill her by developing a temporary null field around her body which cancelled out her energy form and in turn, defeating him. Although this power makes Apex incredibly difficult to kill, it is not impossible.
Ressurection: Apex can die again and again, but she will always come back to life after a period of 1 to 6 hours. Although she has rarely died, Mary has done it just enough times that she desparately seeks to avoid it. Dying is painful and rather taumatic. The last thing Mary needs, or wants, is more trauma.
Retractable Bone Claws: Apex’s skeleton includes four retractable 12-inch long bone claws, two in each arm, that are housed beneath the skin and muscle of her forearms. Apex could, at will, release these slightly curved claws through her skin between the knuckles on each hand. The skin between the knuckles tears and bleeds, but the blood loss is quickly halted by her healing factor. Apex can unsheathe any number of her claws at once, although she needs to keep her wrists straight at the moment her claws pass from her forearms into her hands. When unsheathed, the claws are entirely within Mary’s forearms, allowing her to bend her wrists when they are extended. The claws are made of the same organic metal-like substance that Apex’s skeleton is made of and is also non-magnetic in nature like the rest of her skeletal structure. Mary’s bone claws are sharp and dense enough to slice through substances as durable as metals, wood and stone.
Super-Human Durability: Apex’s entire skeletal structure is made of an organic, and non-magnetic, metal-like bone that is so durable, it nearly equals the indestructability of true adamantium. Mary’s muscles are also denser and harder, making her very durable. She is durable enough to the point that if a person beats her with a metal bat stick, the bat would break and Apex would show little discomfort. This is how she survived other forms of extensive punishment throughout her career such as falls from several stories like when she landed on a car from 100 feet with no injury.
- : Apex's body is highly resistant to certain elemental extremes, particularly cold, to the extent that she can sleep nude in subarctic conditions with no apparent injury.
Super-Human Speed & Agility: Apex is able to move at low level super-human speeds. She has attacked faster than the eye could follow and her speed is as such that she can hit someone before they can pull the trigger with their hand guns. Mary is so fast that it is possible for her to dodge gunfire even at point blank range from multiple gunners at the same time. Apex can also run at approximately 65 mph at a sustained, prolonged state without tiring.
Super-Human Stamina: Apex's healing factor grants her super-human stamina and is partially immune to fatigue toxins generated by physical exertion and thus she has greater endurance than actual humans. Mary is able to physically exert herself at peak capacity for at least 24 hours before the build up of fatigue toxins began to impair her. Apex’s lung capacity is also at the super-human level enabling her to hold her breath for extended periods of time underwater. Another remarkable, but mundane, ability is the fact that Mary only needs one hour of sleep per day.
Super-Human Strength: Apex’s natural strength is augmented by the demand placed on her musculature due to her mutation. Her skeleton is superhumanly strong and nearly unbreakable, which also removes the natural limitations of the human skeletal structure by allowing her to lift weights that would damage a human skeleton. Apex has been depicted with sufficient strength to break steel chains, support the weight of a dozen men with one arm and lift the 450kg/955 lb mutant over her head before tossing him across a room. Apex's strength is enough to allow her to jump 24 feet straight up and 48 feet across from a standing still position.
- : 4,560 lbs.
- : 5,102 lbs
- : 4,385 lbs.
- : 5,041 lbs.
- : 6,575 lbs.
- : 5,260 lbs.
WEAKNESSES & LIMITATIONS
Berserker Rage: Whenever Apex comes out of her Berserker Rage, she becomes proportionately tired, depending on how long her rage lasted. She also becomes very thirsty and hungry when she comes out of her episodes of anger. If an opponent can survive one of Apex's Berserker Rages, then they can take advantage of Mary's weakened state in order to defeat her. Apex cannot enter another Berserker Rage until she fully recovers from the last one.
Enhanced Senses: Due to her enhanced senses, Apex is typically more vulnerable to loud sounds and/or noises than ordinary people.
Resurrection: Although Apex can come back to life after being killed, she is not immortal. There are a number of ways to prevent her from coming back. Aging, decapitation and incineration are the most effective ways to insure that Apex will not be able to come back to life. Mary is also unable to resurrect anyone other than herself.
SKILLS & OTHER ABILITIES
Eidetic Memory: This is an ability to vividly recall images from memory after only a few instances of exposure, with high precision for a brief time after exposure, without using a mnemonic device. Mary’s memory is so incredibly good that when she recalls something, it is almost as if she is reliving that memory. Unfortunately, having such a great memory has also contributed a great deal towards her post traumatic stress disorder.
Expert Acrobat: Proficient in gymnastics and acrobatics, to the peak of human ability. Apex is particularly skilled in parkour and free running.
Expert Inquisitor: Apex is adept in the use of interrogation techniques, employing anything from law enforcement methods to outright torture. Several techniques she has used have included hanging a person over the edge of a building by one leg or chaining a person upside down and beating them. Sometimes, Mary uses her frightening appearance to get answers. "Fear is an excellent motivator" she once said.
Expert Marksman: Due in part to her training in Ninjutsu, Apex almost never misses her targets because 9 out of 10 times she is successful. Mary is an expert marksman that is skilled with throwing projectile weapons, archery and firearms. Apex has been practicing such skills since the early days of her training and is almost on par with those beings who never miss their targets.
Expert Mechanic and Driver: Apex is proficient at combat driving. Se has also pioneered improved vehicle designs. In addition, she has been trained and is proficient in basic vehicular operations.
Expert Pilot: Apex been seen flying the various versions of planes with ease and flying a helicopter.
Expert Tracker: Apex was trained in hunting techniques by African Bushmen (the Ghost Tribes of the Ten-eyed Brotherhood, among others). Mary can hunt man or beast in almost any terrain.
Genius Inventor & Gadgetry: Mary’s intelligence allows her to invent amazing levels of high technology to aid in her crime fighting. In fact, every piece of equipment she uses is something she created herself even if it’s based on already invented technology by someone else.
Genius-Level Intellect: Apex's IQ is possibly well over 200 but no one knows for sure. Mary is a brilliant, virtually peerless, detective, strategist, scientist, tactician and commander; she is widely regarded as one of the keenest analytical minds on the planet. Even with her super-human powers, Apex often uses cunning and planning to outwit her foes when "out-fighting" them does not work.
- : Throughout her long life, Mary has studied Biology, Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Mythology, Geography, & History. Gained degrees in Criminal Science, Forensics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Engineering. Mary has mastered Diverse Environmental Training, Security Systems and illusion/sleight of hand. She gained even more degrees in Biology, Physics, Advanced Chemistry and Technology. Mary has learned Forensic, Medical Sciences, Expanded Computer, Engineering Sciences and Expanded Device Pool use of personal powered armor and systems. She has also learned database creation on underworld crime bosses, rogue's gallery foes and other supers; improved material sciences for body armor and micro-machinery.
Indomitable Will: Apex has an almost super-human force of will. Mary's unstoppable determination, sense of discipline, morale and strength of will make her an extremely formidable opponent. This makes Mary able to function while tolerating massive amounts of physical pain and also allows her to resist telepathy or mind control.
Intimidation: Apex has the ability to instill fear in others, even the people that know her best are intimidated by her. Mary’s ability to inspire great fear made her eligible for induction into the Sinestra Corps, although she was able to fight off the power ring's control and reject it.
Master Detective: Weather Apex can be considered the "World's Greatest Detective" is up for debate, but she is capable of observation, forensic investigation, inductive and deductive reasoning of the highest caliber. Human intuition is an unlearnable trait and one of Apex's most effective tools. Given any mystery, she can arrive at an accurate conclusion with a fraction of the data available.
Master Escapologist: Apex has been described as being better than the great Harry Houdini as an escape artist.
Master Martial Artist: Apex is one of the finest combatants Earth has ever known. Mary was trained around the world for decades to master many martial arts. To date, Apex has mastered 127 styles of martial arts including MMA, Muay Thai, Escrima, Krav Maga, Capoeira, Savate, Yawyan, Taekwondo, Judo, Jui-jitsu, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Ninjutsu, Kendo, Fencing, Kenjutsu, Kali, Bojutsu, Wrestling, Francombat, Boxing, Kickboxing, Hapkido, Sambo, Wing Chun, Parkour, Shorin Ryu, Silat, Chin Na, Kyudo, Aikido, Varma Ati, Jeet Kune Do, Shaolin, Ba Gua, Hung Gar, Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Kenpo and Karate. Apex’s primary form of combat is a harmonious mixture of Jui-jitsu, Taekwondo, Judo, Muay Thai, Savate, Karate, Kung Fu, Boxing, Capoeira, Krav Maga, Aikido and Ninjutsu.
Master of Disguise: Apex has mastered the art of disguise. During the long decades of her life, she also learned Expanded Disguise techniques. Apex has many aliases she uses to infiltrate the underworld or just to go undercover in public situations.
Master of Guerrilla Warfare: Apex’s advanced and extensive Ninjutsu and law enforcement training has made her a master at stealth, espionage, infiltration and sabotage. Mary is capable of breaching very high-security facilities with ease and without being detected. Apex's stealth prowess he is capable of breaking into a top-secret base a mile under Gothic City and even the infamous Area 51 completely unnoticed. Mary has proven to be very familiar with military protocols, as she anticipated and countered law enforcement and paratrooper tactics and strategies.
Master Shield Fighter: Apex’s years of training and experience with her unique shield, as well as it’s physical properties, allow her to accomplish amazing feats with the item. Aside from bashing foes and blocking incoming attacks, Mary is able to throw it with nearly perfect aim. Apex can hit multiple targets with the same throw by means of ricochet and could even achieve a boomerang-like return effect, allowing her to strike enemies from behind or retrieve the shield without objects to ricochet from.
Master Tactician & Strategist: Apex commonly utilizes cunning tactics to outwit her foes. She is an excellent leader and at times has commanded teams of men in times of war.
Multilingualism: Due to her travels around the world, Apex is extremely fluent in English, Spanish, Japanese, German, Russian, French, Latin, Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian, Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Arabic, Turkish, Polish, Greek, Portuguese, Hebrew, Thai, Vietnamese and possibly more.
Pressure Point Locator: Apex has studied pressure points for decades. She knows where to strike the human body in order to paralyze, incapacitate or even kill her opponent.
Weapon Master: Through her martial arts training, Apex has become a master on virtually all types of weaponry. Mary is truly an exceptional swordsman as evident in her fight when she beat a 600 year old man with slowed aging who had mastered the skill for centuries. Apex is proficient with most melee weapons because of her mastery of Okinawan Kobudo. Mary was trained and became proficient in all arms and learned expanded melee weapon techniques, as well as expanded weapon/device sciences. Mary still practices during her combat sessions to keep her skills intact, though she prefers unarmed combat.
This is the equipment Apex used during the 1940‘s.
Apex Body Armor: Although Apex dressed in a suit that looked like a varient of the American flag during the 1940‘s, it was actually a form of body armor. In 1931, Mary read an article in the Evening Star where a bullet proof vest was demonstrated before law enforcement officials. Fascinated by such a discovery, Mary used her detective skills to find out everything she could about that vest. Once she was satisfied, she used her genius level intellect to not only create her own form of body armor, but also improved upon the initial design. As a result of extensive research and development, Apex created a suit of body armor that could resist all forms of small arms fire and explosions as powerful as single stick of dynamite. The armor was also designed to fit snugly around Mary’s form, but without restricting movement. Apex also designed the armor to resist the sharp edge of knives and swords.
Apex Pistol (Colt M1911): During the days of World War II, Apex used a hand gun that had a 7-round clip and could be fired as fast as she could pull the trigger. Bullet velocity was 830 feet per second. She always carried 4 extra ammo clips on her most of the time. Shortly after the war, Apex sold the weapon.
Apex Shield: Apex’s shield is a concave disk that is 2.5 feet in diameter, weighing 12 pounds. Made from a unique combination of True Adamantium and Vibranium, Apex’s shield was completely indestructable. Given to her by the U.S. Government, Mary decided to use it during the 1940‘s as part of her crime fighting career. Apex is a master in it’s use as she is capable of throwing it with expert precision. A magnet installed inside the sleeve of both of her gloves enables her to catch the shield when it automatically returns to her grasp.
The shield has great aerodynamic properties: it is able to slice through the air with minimal wind resistance and deflection of it’s path. It’s great overall resilience, combined with its natural concentric stiffness, enables it to rebound from objects with minimal loss of angular momentum. It is virtually indestructible: it is resistant to penetration, temperature extremes and the entire electromagnetic spectrum of radiation. The only way it can be damaged in any way is by tampering with its molecular bonding. To this very day, Apex still has this shield safely tucked away somewhere.
Apex Utility Belt: Apex’s old utility belt she wore in the 1940‘s was no where near as advanced as it would be in the modern era, but it was very useful in the days of World War II. Mary’s utility belt contained mission-specific equipment such as smoke pellets, ninja throwing stars, military cable, lock picks, grenades, and several other materials.
This is the equipment Apex is using in the modern day.
Apex Helmet: The helmet Apex uses is made out of the same material as her armor with the addition of Aramid-fiber and exotic-metal threads for added protection. Built into the helmet in the forehead, between the eyes and across the throat are trauma plates for extra protection, impact dissipation and edged weapon attenuation.
- Detective Vision: This is one of Apex's most useful gadgets, as it allows her to see people through walls and detect usable and useful objects in the environment. It can also show the skeletons of any and every human. Unarmed enemies are blue, enemies with firearms are orange and enemies and weapons such as knives, bottles, pipes and body armor are highlighted in yellow. The weapon and emotional state of the enemy is also identified. The layout color was blue, but Apex could change it to help tracking chemical substances. Apex can also see through multiple layers of the human body. She can switch from scanning the skin, muscles, and skeletal systems. She can also identify victims with a DNA analysis.
- Crime Scene Playback: Apex can re-wind a crime scene to see how the death/crime was committed via the Apex computer at her HQ. If the people in the crime scene are not known to Apex then they will appear instead as nondescript holograms whose movements were estimated from environmental clues. However, if the assailant and victim are known to Apex then the crime scene will fill in those details and give accurate looking holograms.
--Multifunction Binoculars: Built right into the lenses of his eyes and controlled by mental command. Magnifies up to 60 times. Equipped with infrared and limited ultraviolet imaging, as well as frame capture, stop-motion camera and computer up-link.
--A radio receiver/transceiver.
--An audio processor with voice command equipment.
--A field of view display projector.
--An inertial GPS system with 2D/3D mapping systems.
--Nerve Agent Rated Gas Mask that is built right into the helmet. This allows for normal operation when exposed to nuclear, chemical, airborne and biological toxins, knockout gas and all forms of nerve gas. This made out of nanotechnology and automatically forms around her mouth in the event a dangerous substance is detected in the air.
--Rebreather that provides oxygen for 2 hrs.
--A built-in throat microphone/broadcaster unit that scrambles and augments his voice.
--Voice Synthesizer installed in the neck to enable her to hear any voice and synthesize it with 100% accuracy. By hacking into the communication systems of her enemies, Apex can even give orders to them through their headsets by changing her voice to match that of a crime boss.
Apex Armor: The armor Apex wears is a ergonomically articulated combat armor that is electronically cooled, made of Nomex fire-resistant material. The tri-weave body armor also consists of an outer and inner layer made from an ultra-lightweight titanium-dipped tri-weave fiber mesh. Sandwiched in between is the MR-fluid based liquid armor system. The proprietary Smart MR-fluid hardens in response to impacts, specifically designed to provide superior shock absorption, as well as enabling greater force delivery behind counterattacks. The liquid body armor layer is also more flexible, allowing for greater maneuverability and faster elimination of multiple targets in quick succession (i.e. Fear Takedowns). The armor is high tech in nature and offers Apex her full mobility, making it very effective against bullets and bladed weaponry. However if shot with a highly damaging bullet the suit was designed to compress around the wound and stop the bleeding.
The suit's subsystems are symbiotically integrated with Apex’s car and provide a quick launch capability via the vehicle's electromagnetic ejection system (analogous to launch from a railgun). Designed to withstand up to 6Gs of acceleration, the suit increases navigational capability by tolerating high acceleration maneuvers without risk of injury (vis-a-vis gliding, grapnel boosting and high-speed ejection from Apex’s car).
The armor has non-reflective black coloration and internal heat baffles, which provides blending in low-light/darkness and supresses Apex's infra-red heat signature, making her hard to spot with thermal, heat and infrared scans. For added stealth, the armor is capable of bending the light around Apex to render her invisible.
The armor also has a taser built into it, which delivers a low-amperage electrical shock to anyone who comes into contact with it. This taser is good for one use before needing recharging.
Apex realizes she lives in a world full of technology and Precognitive Super-Humans. As an added preparation against these threats, Apex has installed insulation throughout her suit and weapons to protect herself against EMP’s, which renders EMP styled attacks useless against Apex's suit, gadgets and technology.
When facing someone who has precognition of any kind, via tech or a super ability, Apex can produce a strobe effect to disorient her target and prevent them from concentrating enough to use their power, tech or skill. If this does not work, Apex has also installed a nullification field that stretches out in a 10ft radius around her, rendering such precognitive powers, or similar abilities to predict an opponent’s moves via powers or tech, useless so long as her opponent is inside said null field. To those opponents capable of predicting an opponent’s move using skill only, Apex makes use of a fast acting chemical pellet which he smashes on the ground which becomes a gaseous substance and when inhaled by his opponent, causes all the synapses inside their body to fire all at once every few seconds, causing their limbs to twitch uncontrollably for several minutes. Since Apex wears a full facial mask, which includes a gas mask installed inside of it, he is immune to his own chemical gas attack.
Apex Cape: Apex has a cape that is made of Nomex fire-resistant material and lined with triple-weave Kevlar which can detach with a press of a button at her shoulders. The cape can be made rigid with an electrical current provided by the microprocessor power source stored in Apex's utility belt to emulate gliding. It’s points are also weighted for use as an offensive weapon.
Apex Gauntlets: Apex's gauntlets are reinforced along the knuckles, metacarpals, fingertips and palms effectively making them blunt weapons which allow Apex to inflict extra damage in a slugfest while in combat. On each gauntlet are three bladed scallops which can serve as climbing spikes, sword breakers (When successfully blocking long melee weapons such as swords and staves, Apex may make a grabbing feat to disarm or break the opponent's weapon) and when unlocked they can be launched at a single target as high tension spring loaded darts (all three bladed scallops on a gauntlet launch simultaneously). Apex's gauntlets can store various small items, such as lock picking tools or extra pellet-based weaponry.
The gauntlets also include a holographic screen projector in the left gauntlet that allows her to communicate with her allies face-to-face. In addition, the gauntlets provides the ability to remotely control Apex’s car using haptic controls that are mounted on the gauntlets. The gauntlets themselves posses retractable blades and sensors that work in conjunction with Detective Mode to analyze foreign samples and upload data to remote sites. This suit also holds a projector in the right gauntlet, which can show blue-colored holograms.
- Batarangs: Apex makes use of self-replicating nanotechnology that is capable of producing a number of different types of Batarangs for use as offensive, non-lethal, weapons. Apex can throw up four Batarangs at the same time.
- Folding Batarang: Good Blunt Throwing damage
- Close-Quarters Impact Batarang: Excellent Blunt Throwing damage, half standard throwing range.
- Hard Impact Edge Batarang: Excellent Blunt Throwing damage.
- Cutting Edge Batarang: Remarkable Edged Throwing damage.
- Remote Controlled Batarang: Excellent Blunt Throwing damage. Can be remote controlled by Apex. This Batarang can also be programmed to scan an entire city for electronic devices, voices, chemical and toxic agents when thrown and flown over the city. It can also be programmed to be thrown at an enemy, miss and then strike from behind.
- Sonic Batarang: Used to disable shock collars to prevent it from alerting other henchmen with a sound of alarm.
- Electrical Charge: Located at the end of each finger, Apex is capable of producing an electrical charge with a range of 100ft to stun, or knockout, enemies or power electrical devices.
- Freeze Blast: Located in the palms, Apex is capable of firing a sub-zero freeze blast that is capable of temporarily imobilizing an opponent. Nanotechnology is used to reproduce this ice and insure Apex never runs out.
: Located in both forearms and coming out close to the back of her hands is the grapnel line that allows Apex to traverse rooftops, giving her a boost to glide higher and further. The grapnel is a magnetic gas-powered grapple that shoots out a claw shaped projectile on a retractable high-tensile cord which grabs onto a surface pulling Apex to her target in order to scale sheer surfaces and/or swing across gaps. A later boost upgrade launches her high into the air above the target point if she desires (so Apex can glide from there). The grapple can also pull down walls, grab enemies and pull them closer or pull weapons straight out of a opponents hands; The following items are components of the Grapnel:
--: Slows Apex's fall the further she descends. Remarkable strength, supports 400 lbs. indefinitely and 800 lbs. for shorter periods.
--: Fires a hook that snaps open after firing and clamps shut once the button at its joint hits it's target. Contains 200 ft. of de-cel cord (See Above).
--: Fires diamond-bit piercing darts that can attach up to a Remarkable material. Contains 200 ft. of thermoplastic line (Incredible strength, can support up to 600 lbs.).
- Mini Computer: Built right into the left gauntlet, this operates as a standard personal computer in game terms; Equipped with fax modem, GPS system, minidisk rewritable drive, access to the Apex-Computer via microwave link and can be used to remote control the car or other vehicles Apex has.
Apex Boots: The soles of Apex’s boots are made from lightweight rubbers and are much more flexible to allow for full extension when kicking. The boots feature a unique "slingshot" ankle reinforcement design that acts as both armor and as reinforcement for the ankle joint when kicking or landing from high distances. The bottom is a flexible split sole design and is textured for a variety of surfaces. The boots also have steel toes, making them much more effective when on the offensive. Located in a compartment in the left heel of Apex's boot is an Ultrasonic Batcall signaling device capable of attracting live bats to it as a form of protection and cover for Apex during a getaway. The Ultrasonic Batcall function is limited to bats only and merely summons all bats within a 10 mile range to converge upon the same area as the device. The pulses emitted by the Batcall can be heard by any character with at least Excellent Abnormal Sensitivity or Hyper-Hearing. Apex's boots can store various small item, such as lockpicking tools or other based designed weaponry.
Utility Belt: As Apex, she never goes into action without her utility belt. Equipped with twelve pockets of varying size. A failsafe in the belt will cause it to explode and be completely destroyed should the buckle or pouches be opened incorrectly. The utility belt contains a wide array of devices such as:
- : Making use of nanotechnology to produce more when needed, Apex can spray a vulnerable area on a wall and cause it to crumble with a small explosion. The explosive gel can also be used in the thick of combat to temperarily stun enemies either by shooting a small glob on them or by spraying the ground and letting them walk over it.
Smoke Pellet: An extremely fast acting smoke pellet when smashed against the floor, Apex uses this when she needs to make a quick get-away unseen. She can also use this tactically in combat by making it impossible for her opponents to see and take them down.
Line Launcher: This allows Apex to traverse long gaps and she can even use it as a tightrope or a perch should she desire to do so. She can even change direction by firing the line launcher again in a different direction.
Remote Hacking Device: This device allows Apex to hack into nearly any computer system or device that is powered by electricity and control it.
Disruptor: The disruptor allows Apex to shoot a vehicle and tag it with a tracking device so she can follow it using Detective Vision. But the disruptor’s main purpose is disabling guns, stun sticks, mines, detective mode jammers, turrets, un-manned tank drones, certain kinds of medic packs, camouflage armor, etc. The disruptor has an ammo clip of 4 shots before it needs time to recharge.
Crime Scene Investigation Kit: Contains sample bags, blood-drying bags, fingerprinting kit, odor-analyzing chromatograph and independent detachable video camera. Linked directly to Apex's uniform, her car, and the Apex computer at her HQ.
- Hand-Cuffs: Based on police-issue Ty-Cuffs, these restraint devices are made of sapphire-impregnated nylon with a stranded metal cable center
- First Aid Kit: Mini medical kit to treat trauma related injuries for human victims or those who do not have a healing factor.
- Acetylene Torch: A strong miniaturized laser used as a cutting tool.
- Incidentals (normally always carried): Keys, money, lock picks, mini-cell phone, antitoxin assortment, signal flares, wireless listening devices, small halogen flashlight.
- Universal Tool: Used to aid in electronics work. Tip contains various Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, wrenches, lock picking device, drill bits and other implements. Inside the base are full lineman's kit, multiline analyzers, cell phone analyzers and other electrical analysis gear. Can record and play back audio and video signals. Tool can be safely used as a hammer.
Explosives: Apex carries a number of explosive devices in her utility belt. Once she uses one or more, nanotechnology reproduces more for later use.
- Pellet Grenades: Can be strung together with bungee-prima cord (See Below). Can be attached to surfaces with an internal contact cement reservoir or thrown for a 5-sec. delay. Remarkable EA damage, 12 ft. blast radius.
- Concussion Grenades: Can be set for explosive or flash-bang detonation and for a delay of 3 sec. to 40 min. Can also be set off by radio remote. Remarkable EA damage, 12 ft. blast radius.
- Bungee-Prima Cord: Rope-like explosive normally used to link larger charges. Must be set off by a separate charge. 6 ft. blast radius, Good EA damage.
- : Each single grenade contains millions of reflective filaments designed to reflect and baffle lasers and light energy.
Aerosol Sprays: Apex carries a number of aerosol sprays in her utility belt. Once she uses one or more, nanotechnology reproduces more for later use.
- : Fills an entire area with dense fog for 10 minutes. Single-use only.
- : Contains 8 oz. of paint, virtually invisible unless looked at through infrared optics.
- : Contains 8 oz., detonates when charged electrically. Incredible Edged Attack damage.
- : Disables electronics for 10 minutes.
- : Renders targets unconscious for 3 hrs. and without memory of the 5 minutes preceding exposure.
Tracer Devices: In case Apex needs to track targets and follow them, she has a number of tracing devices to help her out with that. Once she uses one or more, nanotechnology reproduces more for later use.
- : Less than an inch in diameter, 3-mile range.
Capsules: Apex likes being prepared for as many scenarios as possible, so she keeps a number of capsules in her utility belt. Once he uses one or more, nanotechnology reproduces more for later use.
- : Remarkable intensity, 25ft radius. Those in the affected area pass out for 2 hrs. and lose their memory of the 5 minutes preceding exposure.
- : Excellent intensity, 25ft radius. Those in the affected area become violently ill for 10 minutes and throw up.
- : Excellent intensity, 25ft area radius. Those caught up inside are unable to perform any action until one round after leaving the affected area or 15 minutes (10 minutes if outdoors or in a windy area), whichever comes first.
Uniquely, the Apex Car has the ability to transform, on the fly, into "Battle Mode" which gave it the appearance of a battle tank, with a wider wheel base and higher ground clearance. It features various weapons, including a Vulcan Minigun, 60mm Cannon, Missles and non-lethal riot suppressors. Enemies who touched the Apex Car were knocked out by a charge of electricity. Other features included an EMP to stun hostile drones and knock missiles out of the air, a Drone Virus; a device that allowed drones to be hacked and turned against each other. Finally, the car possessed and a Power Winch to pull down walls or to allow the car to act as a counter weight. In that mode, the Apex Car could not travel at it's top speed. However, it gained the ability to move sideways and diagonally indefinitely, which gave it full maneuverability and control in firefights. The headlights all turned red in that mode.
The Apex Car's momentum could be transferred to Apex herself by accelerating and then ejecting, which allowed Apex to gain speed and height to her glide, and allowed for faster traversal of the entire city, not just the streets. The Apex Car could be used in conjunction with the Apex Jet and presumably allowed for quick transfer from one cockpit to another.
Appearance & Features: Due to it's heavily armored exterior, the Apex Car is easily capable of withstanding automatic fire from an assault rifle and a grenade launcher blast with no ill effect on it's performance. In fact, it could take several shots from missiles armed by a helicopter before the car would be destroyed.
The Apex Car featured a central single man cockpit, as opposed to the traditional two seater coupé design that previous models typically adhered to. However, the Apex Car featured room to transport two passengers within a sealed compartment in the back. It could also strafe short distances and avoid enemy attacks. It's also fast enough to be able to drive on walls and on ceilings. Each wheel had an independent suspension and turn, which gave the Apex Car a zero turning radius. The car could turn its wheels 90° and crab steer (drive sideways).
- : From the rear exaust. Causes temporary blindness for any car behind.
- : Allows for excellent chemical analysis.
- Mini medical emergency unit; containing medicial supplies, instruments and equipment.
- Excellent information storage/analysis/retrieval with satellite linkup to the Apex computer mainframe. May be pre-programmed to follow certain actions should Apex be injured or incapacitated.
- Internal air supply provided within the cockpit of the Apex Car contains sufficient air of 1 hour should it need to be sealed from gas based attacks.
- Excellent range, has direct link-up to Gothic City PD.
- Allows for Apex, or a passenger, to be ejected from the car.
- Allows for great traction in snow and ice.
- May be self-sealed with bands of steel-alloy and wheel-sheaths allowing protection from outside forces. If anyone tries to break in the car, it sends out an electrical shock that acts like a taser, knocking them out instantly.
- In the unlikely event that one or more of the car’s tires has a blowout, each tire can reinflate in a matter of seconds.
- Limited voice-controlled driving either while in the car or via remote control.
- 99.95% accurate. Anti-Tracking system installed that bounces his car’s signal to 500 million locations around the world just in case someone decides to get smart and try tracking Apex’s vehicle.
- Full range multi-band radio and communication system (including loudspeaker), may tie in with satellite and computer networks; Range: 200 miles.
- Digital video and audio recording/playback (including infrared and night vision) for live surveillance with built-in DVD recorder or the retrieval and manipulation of previously recorded footage.
- Radar/Sonar detection sensors, including the complete electromagnetic spectrum from microwaves to hard radiation. The car is equipped with a Vital signs detector which may be keyed to specific individuals in advance; Range: 10 miles.
- WayneTech hybrid power cell with jet turbine
- Horsepower: 1200 bhp
- Top speed 220 mph without afterburner; 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds
- Fuel type: Nitro methane
- Raises maximum speed threshold by 40%
- Temperature at vent: 1,100 °C
- Electromagnetic ejector seat
- Enhanced intel and recon capabilities
- AI and remote guidance systems
- Immobilizer Missiles
- Payload: 5gm high explosive cl-20/hmx cocrystal
- Warhead: 2.75 in (70 mm)
- Guidance: Laser/infrared homing
- Material: Advanced synthetic fiber composite
- Diameter: 4 ft 7 in (1.40 m)
- Advanced all terrain traction technology
- Containment Unit
- Purpose: Passenger transport
- Space: 3 Seats
- Resistant to kinetic forces exceeding 4,500 lb/sq in
- Air Brakes with regenerative energy mechanism
- Materials: Graphene composite
- Actuator: High speed hydraulic cylinder
- Stopping distance reduction: 78%
- Armor Plating
- Thickness: 120mm at thickest point
- Material: Carbon nanotube aggregate
- Blast resistance: Explosive reactive armor around cockpit
- Vulcan Gun
- Ammunition gauge: 25mm
- Length: 1.8 meters
- Purpose: Anti-tank and surface to air combat
- 60mm Cannon
- Ammunition type: 60mm high explosive penetrate shells
- Muzzle velocity: 1,680 meters per second
- Estimated to penetrate 820 mm of steel armor at point blank range
- Riot Suppressor
- Ammunition: Non-lethal slam rounds
- Slam rounds: Flexible plastic casing filled with 50 grams of rubber pellets
- Designed to deliver minimum long-term trauma & render combatant immobile
- Electroshock Defense
- Voltage: 200 - 300 kv range
- Delivery: Front and rear conductor rods
- Purpose: Propel combatant
- Gyroscopic Wheels
- Hydraulic arm-mounted
- Capable of 360 lateral spin for combat maneuvering
- Bullet proof synthetic fibers
- Multipurpose grapple claw
- Range: 60m
- Weight supported: 2.2 t
Mary’s true last name has been lost to history, but it is known that she was born sometime in the year 1833. She was just an average looking kid who tended to get sick a little more often than most. Unfortunately, Mary was also bullied like a lot of kids are today and one day that bullying went a little too far. The young teen was pushed and she fell backwards over a steep hill and when she came to rest at the bottom, Marry was impaled by the branch of a freshly fallen tree trunk. The poor teenager died within a few short seconds.
Mary came back to life an hour after she had died only to find that she was still impaled through the chest. For the next 15 minutes, she suffered agonizing pain as she struggled to get the wooden branch out of her, but she finally did it and the wound healed in seconds, much to Mary’s amazement. But that wasn’t the only change that came over the young teenager. In an attempt to wash away all the blood from her wound, she caught a look at herself in the reflection of a nearby lake. Before Mary was just average, but now she was absolutely gorgeous. Before she was skinny, but now she has a beautifully sculpted body with well toned muscle. At the time, Mary did not know what to think of the changes and would only learn many years later that she had undergone a transformation because of her mutant DNA. All her senses had become so heightened, she found every sight and smell a fascinating new discovery.
Mary tried to eventually return home, but her parents didn’t even recognize her as their own daughter because she looked so different. The newborn mutant was chased out of her own home and was forced to make a living on her own for a time. Living on the streets was hard, but Mary managed to survive by stealing food and sleeping anywhere she could. The young woman never did reveal her secret to anyone out of fear of persecution and hatred. A year later, she chanced upon her Uncle Frank who took pity on her and took her in.
Mary lived with her Uncle Frank for the next several years until she got married to a kind young man who stole her heart. For nearly a decade, the mutant enjoyed marital bliss and raising a family of three lovely children with a fourth one on the way. But then the Civil War broke out and Mary’s husband joined the Union, much to his wife’s many protests to stay out of it. But duty overcame loyalty to family and Mary saw her husband leave for war, never to see him alive again.
A few years into the American Civil War and Mary recieved word of her husband’s death. Completely overcome with grief, the young widow sank into a pit of depression and dispair. Just when things could not get any worse, they did when some Confederate deserters threatened her and her family. Overcome with rage when the men tried to rape her and have fun with her kids, Mary attacked the men with such savagry that she does not even remember what happened next. One moment, the Confederate men were trying to rape her and the next, Mary was standing over their dead bodies with blood on her hands and clothes. Unfortunately, it had been too late for her children as they had become trapped inside the house as it burned thanks to the Confederate soldiers.
Mary became lost to the world, wandering aimlessly for weeks, lost in her own grief and pain. When she finally snapped out of her grief, she decided to fight the enemy in the war. Mary helped fight the Confederates in what remained in the Civil War, becoming a ruthless fighting machine as she fought bravely against the enemy. The Union did not approve of her actions, but they couldn’t stop her.
The American Civil War eventually came to an end with the Union gaining the victory. It was then that Mary decided to become a gunslinger and bounty hunter. She discovered she had a knack for being able to shoot fast and accurate and gained a reputation as one of the greatest gunslingers in history. At the turn of the century, Mary would mysteriously disappear from the history books, her last story ending with her literally riding her horse into the sunset. Her story would later become a legend that would fascinate many through the years and well into the 21st century. Dozens of novels and movies have been made of her, but no historian knows what truly happened to her but many theories exist.
The First World War
Mary changed her last name and took a new identity. By the time the first world war came about, Mary became one of the very first costumed vigilante’s ever to exist. Some would call her a hero even while others denounced her as a lawless vigilante. In the years prior to the first world war, Mary had traveled the world over as she learned how to fight and honed her mind and body to absolute perfection. Now that she came back to the civilized world, she found a new war to fight and fight she did.
It was during this time that Mary adopted the name of Apex helped the United States win the first world war. This had been the second war Apex had fought in and it was now starting to take it’s toll since she had already developed post traumatic stress disorder years prior. Mary pushed on, however, and after the war ended, she resumed her crime fighting career for a decade before she, again, vanished from the history books. For the next ten years, Mary would travel around the world once again, seeking knowledge about what she was, refining her skill as a martial artist and learning everything she could on how to fight crime even better.
Joining the Justice Alliance & World War II
Mary would eventually find her way back to America and with a new last name and identity. She would pretend to be her own daughter as she adopted a new costume. This time, a more inspirational costume as she wanted to give hope to those she saved instead of fear. This time, Mary aimed to become a hero rather than a vigilante. As Apex, her efforts worked and by the time World War II broke out, she had been awarded her shield that was made of a unique combination of true adamantium and vibranium.
It was also during this time that Apex would join a team called the Justice Alliance and she would help them on many missions during the war. She didn’t always get along with her teammates, but she had to make at least some effort to help the public think she thought of them as dear friends. Unfortunately, many details have been lost during those years so most of the missions Apex undertook with the Justice Alliance were either considered classified or lost to the dust bin of history.
Retirement, World Travels & Training Theron King
It was shortly after the war that Apex hung up her costume and shield, disappearing from the lime light and retiring. Every few years, she would travel the world again to hone her skills as a martial artist, gain new knowledge and improve mentally. But, for the most part, Mary decided to live as a hermit. Every decade or so, Mary would change her last name and identity before moving elsewhere. Living as long as she had, the woman known as Apex decided it was best that she stay out of the world’s way. She had lost the will to keep fighting, she was plagued by nightmares every night and her post traumatic stress disorder was worse than ever.
One day, a knock came on Mary’s door and young black man stood there. She slammed the door in his face, but Theron King would not be denied. Using his keen detective mind, he found out who Mary really was and where she was living. Theron asked Mary to train him and no matter how many times she said no, Mr. King would not accept it. Finally, Mary decided to train the young man just to get him to go away and leave her alone.
For years, Mary trained Theron’s mind and body to the absolute peak of perfection. He was a mutant like her, he had already been great but now he was a perfect fighting machine. Her knowledge, what she had learned through her years of traveling the world, Mary had passed onto him. At last, Theron’s training came to an end and he left her. To Mary’s surprise, she missed her former student and without even realizing it, she had made a friend. Her first true friend in many years. Theron would go on to become the Apex Predator and Mary would keep up with his many exploits until the day he died.
The New Apex
Theron had told his friends about Mary and when he died, it was Superion who showed up at her doorstep. After some persuading, Mary reluctantly took up the mantle of Apex once again. But no longer would she wear the colors of the American flag. She would adopt a costume that would honor the man she had trained and so she dressed as a bat. Mary discovered that dressing as a bat struck fear into the hearts of criminals. It did not matter to Apex if every criminal was not dumb enough to fall for such fear tactics, just that it did to enough of them. Theron King had left everything to her. His equipment, his technology, everything. Today, Mary patrols the streets of General City as the new Apex. She does it to honor a good man she once knew. Perhaps this time she can make more of a difference than she ever had in the past.