Follow

Professor X

Character » Professor X appears in 7595 issues.

Professor Charles Xavier is the creator of the X-Men and founder of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. His dream of peaceful coexistence between mutants and humanity has long been the driving force for the X-Men. An immensely powerful telepath and scientific genius, Xavier was among the world's greatest masterminds. Killed at the hands of a Phoenix crazed Cyclops, Xavier's memory and dream still remains and motivates his X-Men to keep fighting for a world that fears and hates them.

Charles Xavier is a heartless ba$tard.

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Power NeXus

Even though Cyclops now has full leadership of the X-Men, and Charles is obsolete, Charles Xavier is still generally thought of the wise, benevolent leader of the X-Men. 
    Why? 
    I have no idea. He's completely sick. 
    Let me list off a few reasons for you... 

1. He never gives a flying crap when his students die. 

First, he put together the original team of X-Men. They went through a few roster changes, everything was cool. Then he sent the team to investigate Krakoa. Cyclops was the only one who returned. All the rest were, presumably, dead. So Xavier said, "Hmm. Now that my whole team of seasoned veterans has probably been killed by a mysterious adversary, I think I'll put together a smaller team of completely inexperienced teens, and send them to the same island." Then that whole team died too (well, two of them actually survived, but Xavier had every reason to believe they were all dead). Xavier thought, "Hmmm. A whole team of dead kids might besmirch my reputation. I'll just mindwipe everyone who knew they existed. Now, even though I still have no evidence at all that the original team is even alive, I'll make another team of mutants, and send them to the island! Maybe this team won't die or anything." With luck, this team actually managed to rescue the original team, to which Xavier said, "Yay! The original team is safe (screw the second team, nobody cares about them)! This totally justifies everything I've done up to this point!"  
    Some time later on, the entire team (now a mix of the first and third teams, plus some new guys) got abducted by the Brood. Xavier fully believed they were all dead. So he said, "Crap! Now my whole team is dead! Now I have to put together another team of random kids and throw them into a war zone. I think I'll call this new team the New Mutants. I guess ''X-Men" is just unlucky or something. And just so I don't freak the kids out and make them want to leave, the information I give them about the original teams will be completely minimal."

2.Even if your mutant powers are totally useless, you still have to put on a uniform and be a superhero if you want to stay at his school. 

Case in point: Doug Ramsey. Doug had the ability to instantly understand languages. That power isn't worth a steaming pile of dog s#it in a fight against mutant terrorists and Sentinels. Doug was often even a hindrance to the rest of the team, since they constantly had to go out of their way to keep him from getting killed. But, nevertheless, Xavier had his rule: If you are a mutant who wants the sanctuary and protection of my super-secret school, then you are required to put on a stupid costume and constantly risk your life for my ideals. If you don't want to do that, then GTFO fool.  
    And wasn't if just convenient for him that mutant powers so often manifest during puberty, when a kid is still very confused and easily impressionable about what they should do with their lives. Then when their powers manifest and their whole life suddenly goes to Hell in a handbasket, they are easy pickings for Xavier to find them, pretend to be a wise man with a safe school, then indoctrinate (see also: brainwash) them into believing in his personal ideals and worldview.

3. Xavier never even went into battle himself. 

I can just imagine the dialogue... 

DOUG RAMSEY: Professor Xavier, if you are so keen on making all of us risk our lives for your all-important ideals, then why don't you ever go out into the field with us? 
    CHARLES XAVIER: Stupid question. I'm in a wheelchair, you moron. I'm totally useless in a fight. 
    DOUG: Yeah, so am I. But you still make me fight... 
    CHARLES: I am a helpless invalid!!! 
    DOUG: You're one of the most powerful mutants on earth, and you don't even need your legs to use your powers. 
    CHARLES: Shut up, kid! You expect me to fight in this stupid wheelchair?? 
    DOUG: We have the tech to build one of the world's most advanced combat training centers in our basement. We have the tech to make a visor that completely stops Cyclops' eyebeams, one of the most powerful destructive forces on earth. We have the tech to make a suit that keeps Havok's powers in check. Beast used simple spare parts we had lying around to make a machine that overloaded Unus' force field. I'm sure that, if you actually tried, you could scrounge up the tech for a good battle-ready hoverchair. 
    CHARLES: Stfu, whelp!!!! )))***mindwiiiiiiiipe***((( This conversation never happened. Now go fight Magneto for me. 

4. Juggernaut 

Xavier pretty much made Juggernaut the villian he would be for most of his life. He was a pompous little pr!ck when they were growing up. Cain was jealous of Charles for being favored by their father. And Charles, even when his telepathy developed and he could see into Cain's mind and sense his jealous hatred, did absolutely nothing to keep all bridges with his step-brother from being burned. 

5. Legion 

Not much of a point to expand on here, but having an illegitimate son who wants to kill you isn't exactly a positive thing. 

6. Danger 

Charles Xavier tried to lock away the existant of a senting being, for the sake of giving his precious X-Men a cooler training room. 
    When Xavier first incorporated Shi'Ar technology into the Danger Room, he did not expect the tech to become self-aware. The being reached out to Xavier, asking, "Where am I"?. Xavier knew that the existance of a sentient force in the technology you put a real crimp in his plans to use the tech for the Danger Room. So he did his best to just 'shut away' the being so it wouldn't mess up his plans.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@Power NeXus:
    it all definitely started with the Deadly Genesis arc. I couldn't agree more.
    SilverSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SilverSentry

Wow Xaiver is a Douchebag 2,3 are funny and true .

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

Cyclops is far worse.  
    He's the self-proclaimed leader of the mutant race who has taken his followers to live a secluded existence on a barely-afloat rock. 
    Scott has formed his own death squad and army, deliberately ignored the opinions/suggestions of his long-time friends and allies and placed an insane amount of faith in one girl of whom little is actually known, resulting in the death of multiple X-Men including Nightcrawler.  

Side-note: Charles' paralysis is more symbolic. It's a major plot hole, but as is comics. 

Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
    TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey Charles ... F@CK YOU !

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Kastiel

Charles and Scott are both equal when it comes to leadership skills. They could care less about death.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mutant X

All this may be true, but just think of how many lives he has saved from constructing a school where mutants can live safely, let alone assembling the X-Men, who have saved countless lives throughout the course of their existence.

InvisibleKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By InvisibleKitty

Yeah he has his Good and Bad points,Just like Noah in Heroes he think s in the Grey Area.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crom-Cruach

This is a big problem with the X-Men in general, their leaders are almost always unlikable douchebags. One of the reasons I tended to only read solo stories when I read anything x-men related.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Korg

Scott is ten times the bastard Xavier has been retconned to be. Emma is even worse. Mutantkind would be better off with Xavier leading again. Scott has done nothing but alienate mutants from humankind, and has also lost a lot of X-Men and students, who he seemingly could not care less about. He and Emma are both horrible hypocrites who have cost many mutant (and human) lives since they took the reins from Xavier. If I was a mutant, I would want Xavier back in charge. Yes, he sent two teams to their deaths years ago. Scott does so on a regular basis, and never shows any remorse. He and Emma got a busload full of kids killed through their ineptitude. A busload of kids who were turned away from the school for not being mutants anymore.  
    A few other notes: 

•  Xavier has gone into battle. Fatal Attractions is a good example.
    • Xavier opened the school to humans, so obviously not everyone had to be a superhero to stay there.
    • I think Cain's father had much, much more to do with his persona as Juggernaut than Xavier did. There's also the fact that they made amends some time ago.
    • Legion didn't want to kill Xavier. He wanted to kill Magneto, and killed Xavier by accident.
    OldIdiotAccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By OldIdiotAccount

LOL.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Korg:

Mutantkind would be better off with Xavier leading again.

With Xavier leading again there'd be no mutantkind to speak of.

Scott has done nothing but alienate mutants from humankind, and has also lost a lot of X-Men and students, who he seemingly could not care less about.

Humans are already alienated. Scott just made it official. And I refuse to believe that he doesn't care about the lives of the mutants. It's simple - you else take care of the living, or bury the dead. Why do you think he created X-Force? Because he wanted to eliminate all the anti-mutant terorists before they strike again.

He and Emma got a busload full of kids killed through their ineptitude.

They were killed because of the betrayal of Icarus, who told Stryker about the bus.

A busload of kids who were turned away from the school for not being mutants anymore. 

Without powers it makes no sense for them to stay.

Xavier opened the school to humans, so obviously not everyone had to be a superhero to stay there.

And how many humans actually stayed?
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Charles Xavier is one of the greatest men who's ever lived in the Marvel Universe...

Then everything was retconned and he was turned into a sociopath, thanks Marvel -__-

Scott's the greatest leader in comics.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Theworldbreaker

Yah fuck you charles!     

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Charles Xavier is one of the greatest men who's ever lived in the Marvel Universe...Then everything was retconned and he was turned into a sociopath, thanks Marvel -__-Scott's the greatest leader in comics.

LMAO, pretty much exactly what I was going to put :) 

I'd be fine with it if they gradually turned him into a sociopath, that's character development... But to shove a bunch of new stories into Xavier's past and be all "oh, yeah, he's actually been a total d-bag all these years" is just ridiculous. It would have been far better for him to have slowly become addicted to his telepathy and the influence it holds, rather than having it so he had been corrupted by the power years ago, and has been basically a massive hypocrite for most of his existence.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.