gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

If anyone deserves some time in the spotlight, it's Princess Leia. We know there are layers to her characters and we only got small glimpses into them in the original Star Wars trilogy. This was a figure that would stand up to Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, Chewbacca, and even the slimy Jabba the Hutt. But for a character that witnessed her home planet get destroyed, we never really saw any emotion or much concern. That's where this series comes in. Leia's first job is to the mission. As part of the Rebel Alliance, she had no choice but to fight for the freedom of the galaxy. After the others in command feared she was too precious to be placed in danger, she set out with a fellow Alderaanian X-Wing pilot, Evaan, to search for and rescue other Alderaanians being hunted by the Empire.

As she sets out for Naboo, Mark Waid gives us some flashback glimpses into her childhood. We see how her toughness and rebelliousness started at a young age. Journeying to Naboo was a nice nod in acknowledging the prequel films and allows the action to take place in a familiar setting that would be far enough from the Empire to immediately arrive and cause problems. The result is intrigue and twists as Leia sets out to find some Alderaanians.

The art by Terry and Rachel Dodson is really working for this series. Leia has the combination of her toughness mixed with her elegance. Young Leia looked pretty darn cute and it was cool to see Bail Organa have his Jimmy Smitts resemblance. Jordie Bellaire's colors are amazing as always. It's interesting when you compare the different art styles from this and the other two Marvel Star Wars books. They each have their own style yet all capture the essence of the characters.

We also have a nice cliffhanger to keep us on edge until the next issue.

The Bad

I'm a little on the fence with the Empire's mission to hunt down Alderaanians. It's perfectly understandable that they would want to finish the job the destroyed Death Star started. There is also the strong possibility of further sympathy for the Rebellion due to Leia's position in the Alliance as well as with any remaining Alderaanians. It just seems with the destruction of the Death Star, they might have their hands full dealing with other things in order to keep their presence and control over the galaxy.

When Leia was on Naboo and saw a certain image, it was a nice nod but a little far fetched.

The Verdict

This book continues to show that Princess Leia doesn't need the likes of Han Solo or Luke Skywalker to take part in dangerous missions. Getting a chance to deal with the loss of her home planet and continue her duty to her people while trying to thwart the Empire's plans at the same time is great to see. Mark Waid is showing the different layers to Leia as well as what she is capable of doing. The Dodsons are really getting into the groove with the art, giving this book it's own vibe while still feeling like it fits perfectly alongside the other Marvel Star Wars comics. With plenty of twists and turns, this books simply channels the spirit of Princess Leia and the feeling of the Star Wars universe.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

story started straightening itself out better and the art was improved compared to Issue #1

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 45

Like issue 1, this was another 3 star book for me. I don't think Waid has Leia's voice down and that kind of pains me to say because he is one of my favorite writers. There have been several instances throughout both issues that felt very off. On top of that, I don't find this story particularly compelling. It makes sense that she would want to do this but I'm not sure it is the best way to do a mini-series based on a character, as you pointed out in the review Tony, that definitely deserves the spotlight. Leia is interesting and could easily carry a compelling story. Unfortunately, this isn't that compelling story. I'll keep reading but I certainly hope it improves. I wavered between 2 and 3 but decided it didn't quite deserve a 2.

The art is a bit of a plus and minus for me. At times it looks great but then there are moments where it looks sloppy. Faces are especially inconsistent.

I think my favorite part of the issue was seeing some of Leia's childhood. I hope that is something Waid continues to do in this mini.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Naboo? Really? Does she know her mother is from there? Otherwise, thats just convient. The type that untalented hack writers, who are just glorified fan-fic-ers, like to use. The kind of crap i feared Disney would allow once they took over & removed the EU.

I just hope they have Leia & Evaan be a couple & han was just a war-type flirtation.

Also, I question how much she actually did during the rebellion before Ep4. She was arrested for the Deathstar plans. Nothing else.

Windu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was a great issue. It is definitely the best of the Leia series so far and maybe the best issue out of Marvel's SW line right now, IMO.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I was really happy she had a vision when she saw a picture of her mom. I was hoping they would make Leia more Force Sensitive.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this series is okay but it's nothing great, unlike the other two titles; I'd drop it if it weren't a limited series, but as it is I'll stick with it

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 owie  Moderator

Better than the first issue.

I don't think this really feels like Leia to me though. Sort of a random, slightly younger and more impetuous girl than the smart, steely woman that Carrie Fisher portrayed.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I thought it was a good issue. That cliff hanger at the end is a doozie!

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm enjoying this pairing of Leia and Evaan more than I thought I would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

@ms-lola: This is my least favorite of the Star Wars titles, because it feels more Disney than Star Wars. Leia's attempt to hug it out with Evaan at the end of the first issue was laughable, and as @owie pointed out, way out of character. Also, the Dodsons' art is inappropriate for the character. I realize that Leia is an iconic female character in sci-fi/fantasy/comics and so the Dodsons are compelled to put their stamp on her, making her bosomy and accentuating her curves like they do every woman they draw, but NO. Just no.

Evaan is my favorite part of this book. I wish she had been reserved for a forthcoming Rogue Squadron-esque book, but ah, well.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 owie  Moderator

@neghead said:

@ms-lola: This is my least favorite of the Star Wars titles, because it feels more Disney than Star Wars. Leia's attempt to hug it out with Evaan at the end of the first issue was laughable, and as @owie pointed out, way out of character. Also, the Dodsons' art is inappropriate for the character. I realize that Leia is an iconic female character in sci-fi/fantasy/comics and so the Dodsons are compelled to put their stamp on her, making her bosomy and accentuating her curves like they do every woman they draw, but NO. Just no.

Evaan is my favorite part of this book. I wish she had been reserved for a forthcoming Rogue Squadron-esque book, but ah, well.

I agree with you about the Dodson treatment, too. It's not as bad as, for instance, putting Greg Land on Spider-Woman--he sexualizes his female characters far more--but it's in the same vein. Less debasing, but still unnecessary. Honestly the art has been a lot looser than I normally associate with Dodson, it's kind of sketchy.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@neghead said:

As someone who isn't (or wasn't) very into Star Wars, I wouldn't have noticed the difference in how Leia is being portrayed in here. There is a definite difference between the Leia here and the one in the Star Wars book, but then again, that one has been all action from the outset.

The criticism about Dodson is fair, I have to admit. While the first book did seem to have a bit more effort in some differences between the females, it is pretty generic, isn't it? The whole curvaceous thing going on is a little over the top (this is said sarcastically).

Thelma and Louise have got nothing on these two, then again, Evaan is playing straight (wo)man to Leia's exuberant cowgirl mentality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

@ms-lola: And one kind of expects the opposite since Leia was raised as an aristocrat and Evaan's job heavily involves adrenaline. I suspect the pilot's demeanor is forced, playing to social roles and expectations, and any lack of mirth on her part is being stuck with Leia.

Y'know, to undermine my own entire argument, I reread the promotional info for this series as I started responding to you [I've already learned not to make an argument without doing research first. ;)], this series is the first opportunity that Leia has had to mourn the destruction of her entire planet, including the only family she has ever known. So, A: It now makes more sense that Leia would act out of character, and B) Her efforts to get Evaan to like her, though juvenile, are totally reasonable when you consider that the pilot is as close to her own family as the princess is going to come.

@owie I attribute the artistic look to the inking.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.