Follow

Power Girl

Character » Power Girl appears in 1722 issues.

Kara Zor-L is the older, wiser, and stronger counterpart of Supergirl from Earth 2 but resides on the Prime Earth.

What comics were these PG scenes from?

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry, I didn't know where else to post this. I've been collecting PG comics for the last half year, favorite DC character for sure. But I'm having a hard time trying to find the comics that have these scenes. Help?

1) PG vs. Darkseid, I think it was an Earth-2 comic?

2) The comic where PG threatens Superboy Prime with her heat vision to turn him into Super girl Prime ^^

I think I got her key issues already, but if there's any hidden gem stories, doesn't matter if the issue is worth a lot, I'd be happy know.

tyia :)

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By achilles100

@achilles100: I haven't read too much JLI/JLE, but I have read some of the early 2000's JSA, and the late 70's All Star Comics stuff. I do like seeing her interactions...but the problem is I can't get enough of her :) I find myself fast-forwarding through parts she's not in it. That might be why I can take the PG/Atlee and PG/HQ duos better.

I'm three issues in to the newer JSA All-Stars series, and I'm enjoying it much more than the WF Huntress/PG line. I find PG works best when she has more contrasting personalities to play off of. Huntress is too stoic/friendly with PG's personality…I'd imagine it's hard to write for, as opposed to when she's butting heads with other allies, or really desperate to protect weaker ones getting her in trouble. Perhaps a three member team dynamic would work well? Who would the characters be? I'm not as familiar with DC, but maybe good food for thought ^^

I remember seeing a Cooke book awhile back, I'll check it out.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions; for the original question, I'm -fairly- certain the comics I'm looking for is Green Lantern #25, and Earth-2 Worlds End, around #24-26, just need a TPB to confirm it :)

I've always thought that PG would work great in a three person team with Wonder Woman and perhaps Black Canary. Or perhaps with someone like the just reintroduced Vril Dox. She always butts heads with Diana, and she certainly would with Dox, doubly so if he brought Lobo along for the ride.

BTW, you're right about the PG vs Darkseid thing, it is World's End #24 -26 if you wan the full thing with her at least, but the main part is 25.

Generation Lost 18 features a brainwashed PG fighting a heavily outmatched JLI, if you like that sort of thing. There's a bit of the old JLI magic working there as well.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By achilles100

@mouser066 said:

Sorry, I didn't know where else to post this. I've been collecting PG comics for the last half year, favorite DC character for sure. But I'm having a hard time trying to find the comics that have these scenes. Help?

1) PG vs. Darkseid, I think it was an Earth-2 comic?

2) The comic where PG threatens Superboy Prime with her heat vision to turn him into Super girl Prime ^^

I think I got her key issues already, but if there's any hidden gem stories, doesn't matter if the issue is worth a lot, I'd be happy know.

tyia :)

I can't quote you issue numbers or anything, but yeah, PG vs Darkseid was Earth 2. She made that threat in an issue of Sinestro Corps War IIRC. I think her wiki here covers her key issues pretty well. Pretty much most of JLE, the old All-Star Comics post 1977, (she's actually a few months older than Star Wars), her 1986 mini if you're a completist, (it's pretty terrible), her Warlord issues, (IIRC the only time she ever got to Skarataris), early 2000s and late 90s Supergirl and Aquaman (both PAD series), 2000s JSA sometime around issue 30 I think, JSA All-Stars, her retcon mini with Johns and Conner, and both runs of her own solo title. Plus if you're interested, the one or two issues of Bombshells she's in. And Green Lantern: Circle of Fire, where she's featured, plus a couple of issues of BOP that she's in, (don't recall off-hand which), and things like Kingdom Come, and most of the other major cross overs of the last forty years or so. Just don't expect to see her in many Superman crossovers from the past twenty, she was in one of them with Supergirl and a Superboy IIRC, but not the other stuff. There's also the Superman/Batman stuff with her, including Public Enemies plus the one off Earth 2 thing and the newer Batman/Superman stuff from the nu52, and the Supergirl Candor trade, which has the one off Earth 2 thing plus a SG story with PG where they go into Kandor for some reason, and fight Ultraman. Well, PG does, SG mostly pouts and loses control....she was in her angry phase then. It was notable for containing a reference to a much better story that we never got to read, that of a timewar between Saturn Queen and Power Girl over Supergirl.

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100: Thanks for the in-depth reply, I'm roughly familiar with half of what you mentioned :)

I never read DC much until Injustice 2 came out, I was mostly a 90's Marvel kid. So the last half-year I've spent trying to familiarize myself with the DC universe and its multiple Crises, and piece together PG's roles in the multiverses/timelines. It's honestly a bit daunting, even with the wiki, lol, but I'll keep at it.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

She plays a pretty big role in Infinite Crisis. Well worth checking out.

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mouser066

@jakefuryv2: Yeah, my collection pretty much started with JSA Classified 1-4, Infinite Crisis 1-7, and the PG Palmiotti/Connor run.

I do wish she had her stab at Superboy Prime in Infinite Crisis. He's pretty much her arch-enemy, responsible for the death of her father-figure, Golden Age Superman.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakefuryv2: Yeah, my collection pretty much started with JSA Classified 1-4, Infinite Crisis 1-7, and the PG Palmiotti/Connor run.

I do wish she had her stab at Superboy Prime in Infinite Crisis. He's pretty much her arch-enemy, responsible for the death of her father-figure, Golden Age Superman.

That sort of thing has pretty much been one of her biggest problems, she never gets to be the one to beat the bad guy. It's really kind of pathetic that her fight with Darkseid in the nu52 was probably her best showing ever in a fight, even though she wound up pretty much getting punked there, she did at least hurt him and do other things that only a few others in the DCU have done. But that's mostly it, the Palmitotti/Connor run of her series treated her as mostly a jokey character when they should have been giving her some great, epic stories and establishing her as a serious character. The second run was subordinated to Winick's Generation Lost storyline, and wasn't even finished in Power Girl itself, but rather Generation Lost...so when you look at the trade for the Winick run, you kind of wind up wondering what happened. Which is a shame because in some ways, it's one of her best stories, even though she's a more marginal player than the central characters, her JLI teammates and friends. You get to see a rather badass future PG who's the leader and sole surviving powerhouse of the JLA, (with that interesting black costume with the "S" shield, marking the first time PG's ever worn that.

But that aside, she really doesn't have any real classic stories that are hers, in the way that say Year One was a Batman story, or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was a Superman story. She's been in some great DC stories, but only as a relatively minor character, usually as one of Superman's chief captains. Even much newer characters than her have some great stories that are theirs. Infinite Crisis for example was billed at the time as being a big Power Girl story, but in reality it was a Superman Prime/Superboy story, where PG was held captive helplessly for most of the time, and depicted in a very out of character manner throughout. I would really suggest that it's one of the worst PG stories, as was the meandering sequel of sorts to Kingdom Come in JSA....both written by Geoff Johns, the guy who basically brought her back in JSA, but only at the fan's demand, noting that he himself failed to see any appeal to her character, beyond the obvious.

Sadly, we really never got to see the writers who could have done her justice get a real go at her. Gail Simone had a bunch of running jokes about her in BOP and her other titles like WW. They played on the obvious, but in a more wink and nod way than usual. And when she actually wrote Power Girl briefly in WW, she treated her surprisingly well, and got her voice better than Johns, a guy who had much more time writing her. Then there was Darwyn Cooke, who only ever did a few art pieces, (commissions I suspect), of a fifties Marilyn Monroe type PG, and never got his chance to write her, which is sad because he excelled at writing that type of Silver Age character.

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100: I personally like her build-up to Infinite Crisis in JSA Classified 1-4 ^^;

In my mind IC was almost her "definitive" story; it went through her personal identity crisis (a bit meta; 1985-2003 PG was a big mess, I thought Johns was clever with that) and it re-connected PG with her roots, meeting GA Superman & Lois Lane. As far as I know, it's the only real personal trial PG has ever gone through. It's just if she wasn't written to be stuck to that #$#! anti-monitor power battery half the time, she could've had the spotlight.

But I agree a lot with your sentiments.

While I do like the Palmiotti/Connor run, their strong point seems to be PG character development and humor, not really serious stories and antagonists that carry a weight of menace. I think they got PG's character down pat though, or even defined it.

With Winnick, yeah, bizarre. She convinces Batman everyone has memory loss, next issue she's fighting magical dinosaurs lol

I did like Gail Simone's brief time with PG ("I always wanted to punch Wonder Woman in the face" XD). I don't think the modern day Gail Simone would be receptive to PG though, if you gate, I mean "get" my drift…

With the World's Finest Huntress/PG comic, I'm sorry to say, it bored me out of my brains. Nice covers though ^^; I honestly do not think Huntress and PG have an interesting dynamic. Even during the pre-Crisis stories.

I kind of see where you're going with the Monroe thing. PG is pretty much the singular legacy of Golden-Age Superman in retrospect. I think if DC goes from there with that, they have the foundation to build her up again…the last remnant of Golden/ Silver Age values. I don't think she has even ever killed anyone. PG has a definitive personality that characterizes her, unlike Supergirl's who simply follows the fashion of the times.

Just my thoughts ^^;

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, Huntress and Power Girl never really worked for me either. I liked her dynamic more with characters like the JLE/JLI, or the JSA. The thing with Huntress felt forced to me, rather like the Atlee thing for that matter, or the Harley Quinn thing. It's not that I don't think it could work, just that they never gave enough reason for it to.

For what it's worth, the nu52 did give PG at least something of an origin, and had her around from the looks of it five years old or so when Krypton blew up, and then had Superman and Lois raise her as their daughter, even though she was actually older than him. Prior to that, she never even had that, only the same rocketed away as a baby origin as SM.

Far as the Monroe thing goes, Cooke was fresh off doing his epic The New Frontier, which would have led to and era with younger character like SG, (as was shown in one of the last panels of that book), and he was doing commission work AFAIK, or maybe just did some drawings for fun, but whatever the reason, he managed a few drawings of PG basically imagining her in that way. And...it occurs to me that would have made a great "Elseworlds" type story, a Fifties era PG who looked like Monroe and sort of gave off her vibe, along with that Silver Age optimism mixed with great weirdness and imagination that Cooke captured so wonderfully in his story. PG would just kind of work fighting a giant alien starfish....

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mouser066

@achilles100: I haven't read too much JLI/JLE, but I have read some of the early 2000's JSA, and the late 70's All Star Comics stuff. I do like seeing her interactions...but the problem is I can't get enough of her :) I find myself fast-forwarding through parts she's not in it. That might be why I can take the PG/Atlee and PG/HQ duos better.

I'm three issues in to the newer JSA All-Stars series, and I'm enjoying it much more than the WF Huntress/PG line. I find PG works best when she has more contrasting personalities to play off of. Huntress is too stoic/friendly with PG's personality…I'd imagine it's hard to write for, as opposed to when she's butting heads with other allies, or really desperate to protect weaker ones getting her in trouble. Perhaps a three member team dynamic would work well? Who would the characters be? I'm not as familiar with DC, but maybe good food for thought ^^

I remember seeing a Cooke book awhile back, I'll check it out.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions; for the original question, I'm -fairly- certain the comics I'm looking for is Green Lantern #25, and Earth-2 Worlds End, around #24-26, just need a TPB to confirm it :)

Avatar image for powergirlbestgirl
    Powergirlbestgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread made me wanna get all trades and interesting singles that power is in... But old friends and bomb squad are both 40$+? Are all her trades rare outside powertrip? Really wanna complete my small pg collection but this last strech seems pretty pricey

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread made me wanna get all trades and interesting singles that power is in... But old friends and bomb squad are both 40$+? Are all her trades rare outside powertrip? Really wanna complete my small pg collection but this last strech seems pretty pricey

Yeah, that's odd. I got mine at Barnes and Noble, which lists it at $13, but temporarily out of stock online. Maybe looks at your local brick and mortar Barnes, plus your LCS. I don't know why Amazon is so pricey on this.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mouser066

@the_living_tribunal_24: hiya :) Honestly though, other than PG or Superboy Prime stuff, I'm not really interested in any other comics right now lol

@powergirlbestgirl: Same here, couldn't find Old Friends cheap.I just went ahead and bought PG #27, almost the same price as the TPB. That, and All-Star Comics #58 were my main PG expenses, rest I just get whenever I happen on something on my PG pull list at comic book/used books stores.

@achilles100: hah, all female theme :) I was thinking a team myself that matches the Supes/Bats/WW trifecta, but with kind of lost, forgotten characters. I'm not too familiar with new stuff since 90's was my era...so for me it's PG, Azrael (from post-Knightfall Batman), and...well, honestly I never read Wonder Woman. But maybe a hero that gots the magic side covered. Maybe Ares :P

And thanks for the suggestions, will check'em out, I think I've seen Generations Lost somewhere ^^

Avatar image for powergirlbestgirl
    Powergirlbestgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouser066: I guess ill just have to wait or save up to spend like 100$ on three trades lol :(. The only shops near me are tiny or horribly unsorted

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powergirlbestgirl: $100 is around what I spent for All-Star Comics #58 and PG #27, though I paid kinda high for 27, and got a good price for 58 on ebay for a condition I thought was a satisfactory.

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mouser066

Well, got Green Lantern #25 and read the TPB for Earth 2 World's End (zzZZZ).

I was wrong about GL #25 about the PG vs. Superboy Prime crotch thing, comic was awesome though. My next guess is somewhere in Final Crisis. Anyone know?

Edit: I think I got it, it's Tales of the Sinestro Corp: Superman Prime.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By achilles100

@mouser066 said:

Well, got Green Lantern #25 and read the TPB for Earth 2 World's End (zzZZZ).

I was wrong about GL #25 about the PG vs. Superboy Prime crotch thing, comic was awesome though. My next guess is somewhere in Final Crisis. Anyone know?

Edit: I think I got it, it's Tales of the Sinestro Corp: Superman Prime.

It's from the Sinestro Corps War story, but I don't know which book.

Edit, I found it via some google. It's Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman-Prime #1.

Did they ever actually show Cyborg Superman getting beaten by Superman, Supergirl, and Power Girl in that story though? And if so, in what comic? I just got the bit where they throw the beaten Cyborg Superman to the ground in front of Prime, and was wondering if there was something I missed.

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100: Ah, in GL #25, Cyborg Superman "dies" when I John Stewart and Guy Gardner toss the huge Yellow Power battery thing at Anti-monitor. Cyborg says "thank you" and willingly clings to Anti-monitor as it's about to be hit with it.

In the epilogue though, some aliens find him and reconstruct him...not sure where that storyline goes though.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouser066: I would have liked to see the fight where Superman, PG, and SG beat the power-ringed Cyborg Superman, but I missed it-----if they ever showed it. For all I know, they could have just shown the bit I saw, where the three of them throw him to the ground, utterly beaten, in front of Prime.

mouser066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100: it's gotta be from Tales of the Sinestro Corp: Cyborg Superman....it's the only one from the Sinetro war I haven't read yet.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.