zack_freeman's Power Girl #13 - ...What a Difference a Day Makes! review

Avatar image for zack_freeman

Review: Power Girl #13

Power Girl suffers attacks in both her secret and superheroic identities, as she combats OMACs seemingly activated by the resurrected Maxwell Lord at the same time one of her employees betrays her company.

The Good

Power Girl's one of those titles that really need a clean, appealing style, especially after Amanda Conner's crisp work has become so strongly identified with the character. I really thought that'd be too tough an act to follow, but Basri handily captures that fun vibe while still keeping a unique style. Winick also does a bang-up job of making the classic "superhero with a secret identity" dynamic work when the real life soap opera stuff can so often seem boring in comparison to the superheroics. You'll be surprised at how gripping this issue's cliffhanger is, given that it's just about one of PG's employees embezzling money from her. As always, the best plots are shaped by the character and this was especially effective for fitting Kara's characterization as a well-meaning woman who's sometimes too trusting. Even though it wasn't any new information, I also liked the sequence summarizing PG's history from her own perspective. And the scenes with Kara handling her buzzing staff and some potential come-on's were actually quite cute.

The Bad

You know, there really isn't too much to gripe about here, except to say that, while it does execute the tradition well, it's not an especially new take on the solo superhero title that will really get you excited.

The Verdict - 4/5

This is a good companion piece to Winick's other stellar book this week, GENERATION LOST, showing Power Girl's perspective of Maxwell Lord's act of global deception. As dark as things get (and they do get dark), I'd describe this title as light and appealing in the best way, because that's exactly what it should be. Any readers concerned about Gray, Palmiotti and Conner's departure from this title should breath easy knowing it's in good hands.

Other reviews for Power Girl #13 - ...What a Difference a Day Makes!

I feel, strangley pleased! 0

Let me start off by saying that Power Girl before this, was one of my favorite books, for a year. Almost every issue delivered a fun story, with  amazing artwork. I was so p----- about the creative team change, I had so much fun reading Power Girl before this, I love Judd Winnick almost to death, but he's nothing compared to Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti writing Power Girl. Sami Basri's art had nothing on me especially next to Amanda Connor. The story connects with Power Girl's teammates in th...

All Is Not Lost.... 0

At this point my enthusiasm and (overall) positive outlook on the series is pretty low. As the last 12 issues solidified my perception of Jimmy and Amanda as the quintessential creative team for Power Girl, I'm even more convinced that no other writer could create such a unique and entertaining book that (imo) fits the character quite well.  But like it or not it's now up to Winick and Basri to keep this book afloat. I'll admit there are some aspects of his game plan that I'm looking forward to,...