shawn87's Power Girl #1 - Power Girl review

Avatar image for shawn87
  • shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

Power Girl Lacks Power Writing

The Story:
Taking place shortly after the events of Infinite Crisis, Power Girl begins to see things that aren't there like enemies attacking her, a plane crashing and the Legion Of Super Heroes attacking her. Power Girl also experiences issues with her powers as well as gaining different ones for a short period of time. She struggles to find her place in this new world and runs into Psycho-Pirate.

My Thoughts:
This was my first venture into the world of Power Girl which was written by Geoff Johns. Upon finishing this I'm not completely impressed by this. I was hoping it would be better than it was. At times I was bored, kinda wishing the story would just hurry up and finish. The main focus being on Power Girl trying to find her place in this world which is fine but at times the dialogue was a little annoying. It almost seems like it was directed to a younger audience.

The part I did enjoy most was when Power Girl shed some insight on herself like when she talked about her costume. She said when she first made her costume she wanted to have a symbol on her chest but couldn't think of one so she left it open. She was hoping she would eventually come up with one and then close the hole in her chest. I kind of wish at some point they would give her a symbol and fall through with that plan. The chances of that are probably slim to none since Power Girl is known for her two biggest assets and I'm sure DC wants to keep it that way.

The art is by Amanda Conner and has a very cartoonish feel to it. It's nice though and suits the type of comic it is. I enjoyed the covers even more than the interior art.

Would I recommend this? Honestly, probably not unless you're a big Power Girl fan. It really isn't an essential read. You could skip over this and be fine. I didn't really learn that much about Power Girl that I found myself caring about and I really wanted to like her which I do, but this comic didn't offer anything that got me excited.

Rating: 2.5/5