Follow

Poison Ivy

Character » Poison Ivy appears in 1964 issues.

A brilliant botanical biochemist, Pamela Isley is a fervent eco-terrorist out to save the world's plant life by any means necessary. She often finds herself at odds with Batman, though they have, on occasion, fought on the same side.

So... What The Heck Happened to Ivy?

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Okay, I'm beyond confused here. At the end of Birds of Prey #12, Katana grievously wounded Poison Ivy (after she betrayed the team, don't get me started on that), and we were left to believe she died... maybe. There didn't seem to be any mention of her fate in Birds of Prey #13 (I only skimmed through it, but I didn't see anything)... but she's currently over in Swamp Thing as a part of the whole Rotworld thing (with a strikingly different design...), and there doesn't seem to be any mention of how she got there, either, or when that takes place in relation to her Birds of Prey appearances, as far as I can see, and as far as I know she's supposed to be appearing later on in one of the Death of the Family stories...

So, did I miss something? Did she die in BoP #12? If she's still alive, how did she survive? Was she only critically injured? Did they get her medical attention? Did they just leave her there? Nothing seems to want to explain that.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SupBatz

I was wondering the exact same thing recently...

Spoilers from Birds of Prey:

Having Ivy join the BoP was a great chance for some serious character development but everyone seems to have missed the mark in that department. And now she's jumping from title to title (with a strikingly new design as you said) and without explanation of how she survived her wound by Katana (which was implied to be fatal).
    rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rav4

@SupBatz: Perhaps it's just a complete oversight by the writers...? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Ivy isn't dead (apparently), but some explanation on how would have been freakin wonderful. Also, was it ever explained in #13 how they stopped the global plant disease thing that would have killed everyone on the planet, the one that only Ivy knew how to stop? I know that Batman magically had a cure available for the Birds (of course he did, because.... Batman, I guess), but I didn't see anything regarding the impending global doom... tell me it wasn't just forgotten about.

In any case, I'm dropping Birds of Prey now. Ivy was the only reason I picked it up in the first place, and I just can't take its ridiculous skips between issues anymore, with extremely little explanation on what happened between. It's beyond frustrating.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Ivy is probably one of the most interesting DC characters in existence...Too bad DC doesn;t know that. I was ready to break my foot off in some comic-book writing mout vesuvias'es when heard Ivy became a villan again. WHY RUIN ANY CHANCE OF MAJOR DEVELOPMENT FOR THIS CHARACTER?!! ARE YOU INSANE?!! AT LEAST WAIT 10 YEARS!!

But in all honesty...Did we really expect anything less? This was the company who turned Harley Quinn into a goth-wannabe slut and who's interesting heroes can be counted on ones fingers.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

Rotworld takes place in the future, though.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rav4

@SmashBrawler said:

Yeah, it takes place in the future, but if Ivy had died in the past from Katana's attack, then she wouldn't be in the future...

Plus, she's also listed in the Detective Comics #14 or 15 solicit... which leads you to assume she survived.

It's just... never explained how. Nothing of her fate is mentioned at all in BoP #13, from what I read, which is very infuriating, because it's not going to be in the future either, with it starting a new arc. So... it's just ugh. There's such a thing as keeping mystery, and then there's just pointlessly not explaining things.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Ravager4 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Yeah, it takes place in the future, but if Ivy had died in the past from Katana's attack, then she wouldn't be in the future...

Plus, she's also listed in the Detective Comics #14 or 15 solicit... which leads you to assume she survived.

It's just... never explained how. Nothing of her fate is mentioned at all in BoP #13, from what I read, which is very infuriating, because it's not going to be in the future either, with it starting a new arc. So... it's just ugh. There's such a thing as keeping mystery, and then there's just pointlessly not explaining things.

That's why I mentioned Rotworld took place in the future: maybe Ivy returned during those missing years. It's either that or lack of communication between writers. I haven't seen the scene though, so I can't comment much on this.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rav4

@SmashBrawler: Most likely a writer screw up... it's like the BoP writer wanted to lead you to believe that Ivy was dead, but purposefully left out what happened to her to be all ambiguous or whatever. But it doesn't come across as ambiguous, it comes across as baffling and frustrating, considering she's already showing up elsewhere.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By SupBatz

@Ravager4: Agreed on pretty much all accounts. I liked Birds of Prey but the second the Ivy arc started I knew I was dropping the series when it ended. There has been a lack of continuity between issues since the very beginning. I feel like the writer has an idea of what he wasnt in each issue but not an idea of how to connect everything or to conclude his stories. A good example is Black Canary's past which is addressed in one issue and made to seem like a huge deal and then is complete ignored in the next issue. Beyond frusterating indeed.

And I'm also very disappointed at the handling of Ivy's joining the team. I cannot even begin to comprehend how they could put her on the good side and not even bother to explore her character or reasons in the past year.

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26said:

Ivy is probably one of the most interesting DC characters in existence...Too bad DC doesn;t know that. I was ready to break my foot off in some comic-book writing mout vesuvias'es when heard Ivy became a villan again. WHY RUIN ANY CHANCE OF MAJOR DEVELOPMENT FOR THIS CHARACTER?!! ARE YOU INSANE?!! AT LEAST WAIT 10 YEARS!!

But in all honesty...Did we really expect anything less? This was the company who turned Harley Quinn into a goth-wannabe slut and who's interesting heroes can be counted on ones fingers.

Couldn't have said it better. Such a great opportunity for Ivy was completely wasted. I'm really hoping that Ivy's appearance in Detective Comics will give us a better look at Ivy.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fodigg

My guess is the Swamp Thing writers said "we need Ivy" and the editors said "okay, take her." The villainous turn seemed too abrupt. I was expecting drawn out and subtle villainy from Ivy over time.

I still love BoP though.

GreenGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GreenGhost

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

@SupBatz said:

Couldn't have said it better. Such a great opportunity for Ivy was completely wasted. I'm really hoping that Ivy's appearance in Detective Comics will give us a better look at Ivy.

Agree 100%! The anti-hero status fits her a lot better and I hated how she went to a crazy villainess in #11 & specially #12 so fast. It felt so rushed and out of character...hope other writers handle her better, because I love how she was written in the eraly BoP issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.