Follow

Poison Ivy

Character » Poison Ivy appears in 1965 issues.

A brilliant botanical biochemist, Pamela Isley is a fervent eco-terrorist out to save the world's plant life by any means necessary. She often finds herself at odds with Batman, though they have, on occasion, fought on the same side.

Is Poison Ivy gay?

• 66 results
    Avatar image for thegreatwhiteshark
    TheGreatWhiteShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In most comics I've read and cartoon's I've seen, Ivy sticks to the same basic cannon in which she hates/dislikes humanity but has a special hatred of men and will use/kill them happily as well as the fact she seems to care more about women (particularly Harley and Catwoman)

In batman the animated series its heavily implied she and harley have a sexual relationship (as they sleep and bathe together in the cartoons and associated comics) on top of the fact that Paul Dini (who created Harley Quinn, thus its canonical) stated that her relationship with Ivy was a sexual one.

This along with some not so subtle hints from Harley and Ivy in birds of prey and various other comics on top of that, her and catwoman in other comics just makes me wonder if she's gay? Bisexual? Or just doesn't care?

I think a strong case could be made (with the right scans) that Poison Ivy is gay, but then again I'm not sure, opinions?

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think a strong case could be made (with the right scans) that Poison Ivy is gay, but then again I'm not sure, opinions?

inclining this thread served any other purpose ;D

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I highly doubt she is gay but then again the harley friendship always did make me wonder.......

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Joygirl

Survey says --- DINGDINGDINGDING! YES, MOSTLY LIKELY!

TheGreatWhiteShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@warlock360: I gotta be honest, I would like to see some scans confirming or denying this theory.

I mean there are hints and small references like the one above but never anything solid.

She could just be asexual though, being half plant and all.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yes. Very.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose
    batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By batmannflash

I still think of Harley and Ivy as really really comfortable friends. I find it hard to believe that Ivy has any love for humans, except Harley. But either then, I don't think Ivy is sexually attracted to "meat bags"

However, I wouldn't be surprised if she was

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Joygirl

@batmannflash: Except that Ivy has shown very serious and deep concern for Harley and her life, and the fact that Paul Dini confirmed that their relationship is romantic and sexual. There. Myth = busted. It's over. Spread the word. No longer a debate. They get it on.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreatwhiteshark: That comic looks fantastic, I was chuckling from that. I should give those books a chance.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: well I did say that Harley was an exception. Not sure what it is if Ivy has no attraction whatsoever to any other female or male, but only Harley. It's a special type of lesbian lol...

And just because Dini said it, doesn't mean that other writers that write about those two make their relationship sexual. I'm not saying your wrong, I trust you. But just saying

I wouldn't mind if they were gay haha. not.at.all.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@batmannflash: Except that Ivy has shown very serious and deep concern for Harley and her life, and the fact that Paul Dini confirmed that their relationship is romantic and sexual. There. Myth = busted. It's over. Spread the word. No longer a debate. They get it on.

Do you have a source for this?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batmannflash

@v_scarlotte_rose: No need to get a source from joygirl. She knows everything there is about Harley! But I think I've read that somewhere too

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but Batman is.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@vortex13 said:

No, but Batman is.

No, just no.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I assumed she was bisexual.

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By batpala

I would say she's definitely on the queer spectrum but we don't know where on it whether it be bi, pan or something else.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've honestly never really seen her as the kind of person to really have an orientation for some reason. Like, I always see her as this...I dunno, not sex person.

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2: Asexual? [We do exist. Hi]

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batpala said:

@armiv2: Asexual? [We do exist. Hi]

That's the word, thank you.
    And howdy.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I tend not to look at Ivy's sexuality as clearly defined. I don't think she really goes for men or women. Perhaps she has romantic feelings of some sort for Harley but I think that is due to her being the only human that she feels close to rather than a sexual preference.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's not gay or straight, bi, or even asexual or pansexual, her sexuality is predatorial, meaning that she'll play to lust whenever it suits her, and ultimately subservient to her nutjob ecoterrorist beliefs.

Also Ivy primarily gets off by using vines for tentacle sex.

From Adherents.com

Poison Ivy's omni-predatorial sexuality

In some circles, much has said about Poison Ivy's sexuality, with speculation that she may be a GLBT person or a lesbian. She is not known have explicitly identified herself with such classifications. To do is an over-simplification of her character and may be inaccurate.

In point of fact, Poison Ivy's romantic relationships and infatuations have nearly always been with men. Suppositions about Poison Ivy's sexuality largely stem from the way she has, in recent years, been illustrated alongside her frequent partner-in-crime, Harley Quinn.

A frequent modus operandi utilized by Poison Ivy is to use plant-based chemical concoctions to cause men to fall in love with her or fall under her spell so that she can manipulate them. She has done this to Batman and even Superman. She has at times pronounced her love for her victims, including Batman. Her chemical control over individuals is sometimes delivered through a kiss.

None of this indicates a normative of societally accepted category of sexual preference. Her behavior is indicative of a strongly aberrant psychosexual persona. She might be classified as omni-predatorial in her sexuality. That is, she is indiscriminate in the gender of the people she uses and abuses through sexual and emotional manipulation toward villainous and murderous ends. Poison Ivy's relationship with Harley Quinn (whether mere platonic friendship or more), appear to be an exception to this pattern of behavior, and appears to be focused on Harley Quinn as an individual, rather than a fixation on women generally.

Regardless of whether Poison Ivy is best characterized as GLBT, LGBT, lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual or simply psychosexually deviant, all of these elements of her behavior and character are secondary or subservient to her primary motivation/ultimate concern/religion: her obsession with plants and radical environmentalism. In no way does Poison Ivy identify herself primarily based on any aspect of her sexuality.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By warlock360

@guardian_of_gravity: that would sub-sequentially fall under pansexual for me :p

Edit: When she wants too

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joygirl

@v_scarlotte_rose: www.harley-quinn.com -- towards the end of the Harley and Ivy section, the admin (who is herself a Harley/Joker shipper) states that she interviewed Dini on the subject and quotes him on it.

LimboBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes. very.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: www.harley-quinn.com -- towards the end of the Harley and Ivy section, the admin (who is herself a Harley/Joker shipper) states that she interviewed Dini on the subject and quotes him on it.

I could say I interviewed Stan Lee who said that Thor can tear a black hole in half with his bare hands, but would you be skeptical towards me if I said that?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Joygirl

@guardian_of_gravity: If you ran a respectable database, were known to troll around conventions, generally talked about how weak you thought Thor was and therefore had no reason to lie, and Thor had been shown doing it? No, I really wouldn't. This isn't as much of a mystery as it seems. In GCS Harley asks if Ivy is in love with her. Ivy tried to break up her wedding with the Joker. Ivy also rescued her and nursed her back to health. They sleep in the same bed. There have been piles of romantic insinuations. I could come to the conclusion without a confirmation -- it's pretty freaking obvious.

TheGreatWhiteShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@deaditegonzo: Yeah its a great comic series, you should read it, here's another scan for Harley and Ivy (great mini series), it's a really funny and charming comic.

@v_scarlotte_rose: Because plants are asexual, they mate with themselves but I dunno how that'd effect Ivy. Just a theory, I think shes asexual verging on gay.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

Loading Video...

Now Rorschach being gay...That is more of an argument.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

A handshake that lasted a little too long. ;)

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

Not just that. Unlike Ivy, Rorschach has never had a partner of the opposite sex and he constantly praises The Comedian and Nite Owl, almost in a sexual way. He's seen holding hands with Nite Owl for like 10 seconds too, and was disgusted when he had to sort women's clothing.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite said:

Not just that. Unlike Ivy, Rorschach has never had a partner of the opposite sex and he constantly praises The Comedian and Nite Owl, almost in a sexual way. He's seen holding hands with Nite Owl for like 10 seconds too, and was disgusted when he had to sort women's clothing.

I was referencing the hand holding thing. Nite Owl did the same thing to Silk Spectre and we all know how he felt about her. Honestly I would say he's probably gay, but very deep in the closet due to his various insecurities.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite said:

I was referencing the hand holding thing. Nite Owl did the same thing to Silk Spectre and we all know how he felt about her. Honestly I would say he's probably gay, but very deep in the closet due to his various insecurities.

Yeah, surprised that people don't talk about that relationship when they talk about closet gay characters (And he's definitely closet, as he hates lesbianism, so he would be a hypocrite) and instead talk about this one, which really doesn't make a lot of sense to me as Ivy has had a few male love interests in her character history and no female ones. It may have been suggested in the animated series, but honestly I didn't see it, it seemed more like a big sister thing.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DecoyElite

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Actually Ivy and Harley were a thing according to Paul Dini, or so I heard. Never found the actual interview where he said that.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Actually Ivy and Harley were a thing according to Paul Dini, or so I heard. Never found the actual interview where he said that.

Dini also wrote Harvest, ruined Wonder Woman and completley destroyed the oppurtunity to make a good Harley/Ivy series with his mediocre-at-best Harley/Ivy series...And he was only co-producer, and I'm pretty sure that Timm said they had a sister/sister relationship. Even if Dini did say it, I hate his guts from everything else he did, so I don't really care. If TIMM said it though...

No Caption Provided

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@guardian_of_gravity: If you ran a respectable database, were known to troll around conventions, generally talked about how weak you thought Thor was and therefore had no reason to lie, and Thor had been shown doing it? No, I really wouldn't. This isn't as much of a mystery as it seems. In GCS Harley asks if Ivy is in love with her. Ivy tried to break up her wedding with the Joker. Ivy also rescued her and nursed her back to health. They sleep in the same bed. There have been piles of romantic insinuations. I could come to the conclusion without a confirmation -- it's pretty freaking obvious.

But what if I told you that another comic book says that Poison Ivy's primary method of sexual relief is screwing herself with vines a la tentacle hentai?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: How is that relevant to the topic...? Unless you are trying to goad me into saying something perverse so that you can debunk my stance.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

It's pretty simple really. Ivy likes what Ivy likes.

I think a lot of peoples only reason for asking this question is so they can see the two of them going at it. I'm sorry, but you'll probably never see it in the pages of a DC comic, but if you're dead set on seeing green and pale white tits pressed up against one another then you need look no further than google.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

In spite what one writer allegedly said. I don't believe she is. I believe she predatory towards males where she takes what she wants then kills them. I believe she and Harley are just really close friends. Maybe more so on Ivy's side because Harley is her connection to humanity and Harley's only real love is the Joker. Despite the New 52's interpretation of Harley.

Avatar image for nufai_the_skinwalker
    Nufai_the_Skinwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@guardian_of_gravity: How is that relevant to the topic...? Unless you are trying to goad me into saying something perverse so that you can debunk my stance.

I was saying she's mostly plantsexual but willing to predatorily take advantage of others' sexualities.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By batmannflash

@thegreatwhiteshark: what comics series are you talking about? (not Harley and Ivy). The one with scan of Babs and Harley. where is that from?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

I was saying she's mostly plantsexual but willing to predatorily take advantage of others' sexualities.

Doesn't fit though. Ivy shows serious care and concern towards Harley and always has.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic said:

It's pretty simple really. Ivy likes what Ivy likes.

I think a lot of peoples only reason for asking this question is so they can see the two of them going at it. I'm sorry, but you'll probably never see it in the pages of a DC comic, but if you're dead set on seeing green and pale white tits pressed up against one another then you need look no further than google.

You summed it up better than I ever could. I feel the only real reason for this is the lesbianism appeal to teenage boys. I really just see them as sisters, and seeing them as a relationship would be equivalent to comic book incest to me.

Avatar image for eliminator_omega_returns
    Eliminator_Omega_Returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@nufai_the_skinwalker said:

@joygirl said:

Doesn't fit though. Ivy shows serious care and concern towards Harley and always has.

She is ultimately a sexual predator when it comes to people, Harley is probably the only exception.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@joygirl said:

@nufai_the_skinwalker said:

@joygirl said:

She is ultimately a sexual predator when it comes to people, Harley is probably the only exception.

For arguments sake if we go with the theory of her being "plantsexual" or sexual predator. I would think that the reason she shows real care and concern over Harley is because she doesn't see her in a sexual manner. More sisterly that speaks to her human side.

TheGreatWhiteShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: I think Timm in general agree'd with Dini's way of thinking, they both made the decision to have harley and ivy the way they are and both contributed to the cartoon comics. Its pretty cannon. I'm not saying they are gay together, Harley loves the joker, we all know that but just because you love someone doesn't mean you wont sleep with someone else and the cannon fact is that they did sleep together, so said her creator. They do have a big/little sister relationship aswell, thats what makes it weird but intriguing and interesting storyline. I think just because you don't like Dini (and I can see why) doesn't mean you can just discard the evidence here.

The fact is it isn't incest, they have slept together and Ivy has shown sexual and emotional interest in other women and hasn't shown sexual and emotional interest in men. Ivy likes what she likes, but what she likes has included women and plants, not men.

Off topic how did Dini ruin wonderwoman for you?

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: I think Timm in general agree'd with Dini's way of thinking, they both made the decision to have harley and ivy the way they are and both contributed to the cartoon comics. Its pretty cannon. I'm not saying they are gay together, Harley loves the joker, we all know that but just because you love someone doesn't mean you wont sleep with someone else and the cannon fact is that they did sleep together, so said her creator. They do have a big/little sister relationship aswell, thats what makes it weird but intriguing and interesting storyline. I think just because you don't like Dini (and I can see why) doesn't mean you can just discard the evidence here.

The fact is it isn't incest, they have slept together and Ivy has shown sexual and emotional interest in other women and hasn't shown sexual and emotional interest in men. Ivy likes what she likes, but what she likes has included women and plants, not men.

Off topic how did Dini ruin wonderwoman for you?

Well they didn't so much "sleep together" as just sleep in the same bed. And Ivy had a boyfriend in college, and even had a short fling with this plant-man before he betrayed her and she killed him. As for Dini, he made Wonder Woman less strict and badass, which is what she should be. Not to mention, ever since 2000, Dini has done nothing to show that he deserves ANYTHING to do with Harley or Ivy and has driven them both so hard into the ground, they're about 1 mile away from Hell itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.