Follow

Perry White

Character » Perry White appears in 2962 issues.

The City Editor of the Daily Planet, the newspaper where Clark Kent (Superman) works. A gruff and hard taskmaster, but a very loveable character.

What the heck? Laurence Fishburn as Perry White

• 101 results
    Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Final Arrow

@theicon: 90 plus by my count...not sure how you only got forty just saying.

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By OracleX

I could really care less about his his skin color. I would have complained if if Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis, Ice-T, Mr. T or any other meat head you can think of. I know comics aren't realistic, but it drives me a little crazy someone who met real-life editors. Editors don't get to play in the field, they spend late nights yelling at writers and live on coffee and eat vending machine food and whatever can be delivered at odd hours. Perry is the annoying, cranky, demanding father, not the fit uncle who will let you ride on his motorcycle as long your mother doesn't find out.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@theicon: OH sure, attack me.. tons of other posters agreed with Fesak, but I am the one that gets picked on... typical ;)

LOL thats messed up.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Osiris1428
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    DC's answer to Samuel L. Jackson. 
    No, that would be Amanda Waller played by Angela Basset. You know, the only good thing in the Green Lantern movie.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Osiris1428
    @Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

Sure, why not. Imagine what would happen if they made a black comic book character white, though.
    this I would pay to see the reaction to.

I wrote about this briefly in a blog I did about changing character race. We already know what the reaction would be which is why it'll never happen.

Keep in mind there is no equality in representation in comics in the first place. Doing something like making Storm white would be a step backwards. If it were even on all side, you could take a piece here, there, but one section is a little more developed than another. There is no arguing that. Plus, have you guys seen LF's role in Predators?? OMG
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Gambler said:

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@theicon: OH sure, attack me.. tons of other posters agreed with Fesak, but I am the one that gets picked on... typical ;)

LOL thats messed up.

So me though right? lol

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Osiris1428
    @fodigg said:
    @fesak said: 
    Sure, why not. Imagine what would happen if they made a black comic book character white, though.
    That...that happens like all the time. Maybe not "comic book character" but "character?" Oh yeah. Non-white characters get portrayed by white actors on the silver screen. And when this happens, people are usually rightfully upset because non-white actors and actresses are so underrepresented in the industry. Which is a shame.
    Prince of Persia, The Last Airbender, John Wayne playing Ghangis Khan...yeah, that never happened.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By Caligula
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

I wrote about this briefly in a blog I did about changing character race. We already know what the reaction would be which is why it'll never happen.

Keep in mind there is no equality in representation in comics in the first place. Doing something like making Storm white would be a step backwards. If it were even on all side, you could take a piece here, there, but one section is a little more developed than another. There is no arguing that. Plus, have you guys seen LF's role in Predators?? OMG
    I've been down with Larry since Elm Street 3: the Dream Warriors. I've liked him in pretty much everything since then.
    Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Final Arrow

@Caligula said:

@Osiris1428 said:
    @Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

Keep in mind there is no equality in representation in comics in the first place. Doing something like making Storm white would be a step backwards. If it were even on all side, you could take a piece here, there, but one section is a little more developed than another. There is no arguing that. Plus, have you guys seen LF's role in Predators?? OMG
    I've been down with Larry since Elm Street 3: the Dream Warriors. I've liked him in pretty much everything since then.

QFT

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Osiris1428 said:

@Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

Keep in mind there is no equality in representation in comics in the first place. Doing something like making Storm white would be a step backwards. If it were even on all side, you could take a piece here, there, but one section is a little more developed than another. There is no arguing that. Plus, have you guys seen LF's role in Predators?? OMG

Like I said I'm not in favor of changing any comicbook characters ethnicity just for the sake of appearing diverse. Merely pointing out the outrage it would cause should the standard White character to Black character roles be reversed. I also mentioned (might of been a different diversity thread) had these companies started out creating more diverse characters to begin with they wouldn't need to change the races of established characters now. And I agree, one side is more developed, but simply swapping one race for another does nothing to develop the lingering section. Whats needed are original, new, innovative, ethnically diverse characters. And I'm a fan of LF. Deep Cover was the first movie I saw him in and he was a beast. I also liked his character in Boyz in Da Hood.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Caligula
    @Gambler said:

@Osiris1428 said:

@Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

Like I said I'm not in favor of changing any comicbook characters ethnicity just for the sake of appearing diverse. Merely pointing out the outrage it would cause should the standard White character to Black character roles be reversed. I also mentioned (might of been a different diversity thread) had these companies started out creating more diverse characters do begin with they wouldn't need to change the races of established characters now. And I agree, one side is more developed, but simply swapping one race for another does nothing to develop the lingering section. Whats needed are original, new, innovative, ethnically diverse characters. And I'm a fan of LF. Deep Cover was the first movie I saw him in and he was a beast. I also liked his character in Boyz in Da Hood.

exaclty. add new badass characters, don't palette swap them.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By fodigg
    @Gambler said:

@Osiris1428 said:

@Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

Like I said I'm not in favor of changing any comicbook characters ethnicity just for the sake of appearing diverse. Merely pointing out the outrage it would cause should the standard White character to Black character roles be reversed. I also mentioned (might of been a different diversity thread) had these companies started out creating more diverse characters do begin with they wouldn't need to change the races of established characters now. And I agree, one side is more developed, but simply swapping one race for another does nothing to develop the lingering section. Whats needed are original, new, innovative, ethnically diverse characters. And I'm a fan of LF. Deep Cover was the first movie I saw him in and he was a beast. I also liked his character in Boyz in Da Hood.

I prefer expanding total number of characters to introduce more diversity but I will defend the "different portrayal" approach as it can lead to some good and interesting performances. I think Sam Jackson is great as Nick Fury and Michael Clarke Duncan was the only good thing about Daredevil. Did it really "improve" those characters to make them black? No, but it did open up the pool of potential actors to not worry about it, which led to some good performances.  

Could they have found somebody who was white who gave performances that were just as good? Probably yes, but I liked these ones and I like that the industry was open (for once) to introducing them. 

Oh, and sometimes even the "new characters" diversity solution pisses people off when it comes time to deciding team book rosters. I still remember the internet sh** storm of the "minori-team" rants for the Justice League cartoon. Oh noes, they opted for John Stewart and Hawk Girl! Super heroes are ruined forever!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Caligula
    @fodigg said:
    @Gambler said:

@Osiris1428 said:

@Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

I prefer expanding total number of characters to introduce more diversity but I will defend the "different portrayal" approach as it can lead to some good and interesting performances. I think Sam Jackson is great as Nick Fury and Michael Clarke Duncan was the only good thing about Daredevil. Did it really "improve" those characters to make them black? No, but it did open up the pool of potential actors to not worry about it, which led to some good performances.   Could they have found somebody who was white who gave performances that were just as good? Probably yes, but I liked these ones and I like that the industry was open (for once) to introducing them.  Oh, and sometimes even the "new characters" diversity solution pisses people off when it comes time to deciding team book rosters. I still remember the internet sh** storm of the "minori-team" rants for the Justice League cartoon. Oh noes, they opted for John Stewart and Hawk Girl! Super heroes are ruined forever!
    hey I like John Stewart. he is my favorite Lantern
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By fodigg
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    I prefer expanding total number of characters to introduce more diversity but I will defend the "different portrayal" approach as it can lead to some good and interesting performances. I think Sam Jackson is great as Nick Fury and Michael Clarke Duncan was the only good thing about Daredevil. Did it really "improve" those characters to make them black? No, but it did open up the pool of potential actors to not worry about it, which led to some good performances.   Could they have found somebody who was white who gave performances that were just as good? Probably yes, but I liked these ones and I like that the industry was open (for once) to introducing them.  Oh, and sometimes even the "new characters" diversity solution pisses people off when it comes time to deciding team book rosters. I still remember the internet sh** storm of the "minori-team" rants for the Justice League cartoon. Oh noes, they opted for John Stewart and Hawk Girl! Super heroes are ruined forever!
    Mine too, and in no small part because of his appearances in the animated stuff. A lot of kids grew up with John Stewart as their Green Lantern because of that and that is awesome.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Caligula
    @fodigg said:
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    Mine too, and in no small part because of his appearances in the animated stuff. A lot of kids grew up with John Stewart as their Green Lantern because of that and that is awesome.
    have you read Green Lantern: Mosaic ? it's one of the best arc featuring John.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By fodigg
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    I'm embarrassed to say that no I have not. Is it collected as a trade paperback?
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

@Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

I know. Which makes the so called "equality supporters" more two-faced then Harvey Dent.

Agreed. If its okay to change Spiderman's ethnicity then it should be equally okay to change Blade's. But just for the record I'm not a fan of changing any major comicbook characters race. In my opinion a CB characters look is the single most important aspect.

I agree. 

@.Mistress Redhead.: LOL
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Caligula
    @fodigg said:
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    I'm embarrassed to say that no I have not. Is it collected as a trade paperback?
    IDK, I have it collected in singles. but I'll see if they've ever put out a trade of it.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Caligula
    @fodigg: I'm sorry to say it's never been collected in Trade format.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By fodigg
    @Caligula said:
    Those racist bastards. ;) 

No but seriously that sucks. I'll have to track down singles somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Caligula
    @fodigg said:
    @Caligula said:
    Those racist bastards. ;)  No but seriously that sucks. I'll have to track down singles somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion!
    no problem :D
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@fodigg: I guess it comes down to a personal preference.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By fodigg
    @Gambler said:

@fodigg: I guess it comes down to a personal preference.

I think it depends on format too. Like, what works best for what you're trying to do? If you're trying to make a new ongoing, new character all the way. If you're trying to fill a movie cast, well there's only so much screen time to go around, so it might be better to opt for some characters over others or do the "new portrayal" route. Whatever way you go, somebody's not gonna be happy.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By pixelized

@Gambler said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@Gambler: Maybe they did. Who thinks that Snyder has an in with DC and Perry White is black in the DCnU?

Thats kind of more of the same though. My point is that Perry White could have easily been black from the very beginning. (Insert character name here) could have been (insert ethnicity here) from the beginning. But since they weren't all these recent attempts to rectify that situation seem disingenuous in my opinion.

Or Maaaaaaaybe Laurence was the actor that walked in there and blew everyone away. I was reading recently where Idris Elba just won himself a part that was originally written for Brad Pitt.

As a comic reader I have no idea who Perry White is, I doubt the general public does as well, so I'm more than happy to label this as a "non issue" and move on. It'd be like recreating a scene from a comic and having the cashier right handed instead of left.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@pixelized said:

@Gambler said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@Gambler: Maybe they did. Who thinks that Snyder has an in with DC and Perry White is black in the DCnU?

Thats kind of more of the same though. My point is that Perry White could have easily been black from the very beginning. (Insert character name here) could have been (insert ethnicity here) from the beginning. But since they weren't all these recent attempts to rectify that situation seem disingenuous in my opinion.

Or Maaaaaaaybe Laurence was the actor that walked in there and blew everyone away. I was reading recently where Idris Elba just won himself a part that was originally written for Brad Pitt.

As a comic reader I have no idea who Perry White is, I doubt the general public does as well, so I'm more than happy to label this as a "non issue" and move on. It'd be like recreating a scene from a comic and having the cashier right handed instead of left.

Its possible. But if thats the case then they could have had a great actress walk in and blow em away and instead of changing his race, they change his gender. Whats the difference?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By z3ro180
    @sesquipedalophobe: he played silver surffer??
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Z3RO180: He voiced the Silver Surfer. It was Doug Jones who did motion captures and wore the suit..

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#78  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

@Gambler said:

@Caligula said:

I know. Which makes the so called "equality supporters" more two-faced then Harvey Dent.

Agreed. If its okay to change Spiderman's ethnicity then it should be equally okay to change Blade's. But just for the record I'm not a fan of changing any major comicbook characters race. In my opinion a CB characters look is the single most important aspect.

Well they did change Blade. (well they made him more American lol) though for most, Blade being born in England wasn't really a defining aspect of the character. At least generally. For all I know, there might be a lot of Blade fans who are pissed that changed. So anyway does that mean for a character whose race (or any characteristic) defines them and is one big reason why they have fans, changing that is the same as changing a character whose race is negligible and no one really strictly likes the character for? Why does it have to be equally applicable when we have this amazing ability to weigh up and recognize the differences between things? Its a lot more complicated sure and it speaks of human nature and our biology. Most people find it almost more automatic to identify with things that are similar to them, and so even though Spider-man's race isn't written as being a defining feature for the character, his everyman, and relatable aspect is, and for many, many people that means his skin color. So that would be a much tougher sell maybe, as opposed to Norrin Radd whose skin color doesn't really matter and I'd say doesn't define his character and is changed to Silver anyway. So no one really knows what color he was or might have been and for most it wouldn't matter since the movie would have him silver the entire time. Storm's race on the other hand defines her, I mean, not just from writers point of view, but in the eyes of many fans, fans with money. Not that I disagree with your example. Just the equally bit I suppose. Its like how Wonder Woman's gender is more important that say, Marrow. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#79  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

@pixelized said:

@Gambler said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Its possible. But if thats the case then they could have had a great actress walk in and blow em away and instead of changing his race, they change his gender. Whats the difference?

Its very possible. At least for Kenneth Branagh. He literally casts color blind. So if he though a white women best represented what he considered to be the Storm character's defining aspects, then he would weather the storm (aha I am lame) and cast a white actress... but... like I was saying with my other post, he would probably consider her visual look a defining aspect. Since only until recently thats how comic writers, wrote characters of color. So its a bit hard to think of a comic character who is not white but whose race, and/or color didn't in some way shape, define or form them, because usually writers were really sensitive with that. Its actually easier to look at characters who are aliens and or mutants. Or say take something like gender. Thor girl? Her gender doesn't define the character so much maybe? Character is still quite undeveloped. They could probably make her Thor Boy, an alien from a planet Thor saved who was fascinated so much by Thor she adopted his look and name. That right there is a defining aspect of the character. So Thor boy could be blue, green, black of Irish.  

They could change his gender too, if the actress was good enough and the person casting the role didn't think his (the character) gender defining the character. Bob Dylan was okay with Cate Blanchett playing him. Her casting was genius. For that part of his life, look, etc people involved with that decision thought she was the best. The difference is with us the individual, and then the larger majority. Our discretion in deciding what's important to us individually and then the general as in risk involved with creative discretion, deciding what are defining aspects of a character and so what can be changed and or, what should not be.  
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Osiris1428

Source: EW

Great Caesar's Ghost! While everyone from Hugh Laurie to Ed Harris has been suggested for the role, Zack Snyder's 'Man of Steel' has gone with an unconventional (but excellent choice) for the role of The Daily Planet's editor-in-chief Perry White'The Matrix' star Laurence Fishburne.

At this point, no one should be at all surprised that an iconic supporting role has been changed to reflect modern diversity (let's face it - comics are chock full o' white people), but we're sure that won't stop people from complaining about it anyway. However, let's really run this down and examine why Fishburne might be a good choice for the role. One, Perry White is essentially "the irascible boss" stereotype, a trope prevalent in all forms of media (see: J Jonah Jameson). If there's anyone out there who can play a stern, gruff, and intimidating boss character, it's Fishburne. From his recent stint as the head of 'CSI' to playing the man-behind-the-man in the'Matrix' trilogy, he's shown that he's not someone you want to mess with, and that he demands results. Two, all you really need for a great Perry White is the ability to huff and puff and then be surprised when everything works out. Toss in his catchphrase and a scene where he's chewing out some reporters, and you're good to go.

Previously played by Jackie Cooper in the original films, and then Frank Langella in the recent Bryan Singer reboot/homage, Fishburne will take over the role for WB's new revamp of the franchise in what will most likely be nothing more than an extended cameo. So, relax fanboys. There are probably much worse things to worry about (i.e. the director).

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Osiris1428

And I would like to add, that there was a movie where they changed a black character to white: Spawn. They changed Terry to a white guy.

dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By dangerapple
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    I much rather watch his daughter. She should be Perry White. A naked one.
    why are you so perverted
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @dangerapple: A better question is why are you following me?
    dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By dangerapple
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7: im not
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @dangerapple: You've made 14 post and 3 of them are to me.
    dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By dangerapple

um i dident know you were in the forums gess

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#87  Edited By InnerVenom123

LOOOOLLLLL, stalker thread. 

dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By dangerapple
    @InnerVenom123: no i went and forums and he manged to be in them
    Vision2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By Vision2.0

but but but i wanted a perry "white"....
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By iLLituracy

Oh, these threads...

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91  Edited By Vortex13
    @PikminMania said:
    I have a feeling this will suck, Zack Snyder does not have a very good track record.
    FINALLY! Someone other than me thinks Zack Snyder is a s###ty directer.
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By GT-Man

Dude! THIS IS FREAKING MORPHEUS! ohhh I get it! you got something against blacks! doncha! -_-
    PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#93  Edited By PikminMania
    @Vortex13

I don't think he is sh***y, just really really average
    dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dangerapple
    @GT-Man said:
    Dude! THIS IS FREAKING MORPHEUS! ohhh I get it! you got something against blacks! doncha! -_-
    morpheus was awsome
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By GT-Man

@dangerapple said:

@GT-Man said:
    morpheus was awsome

IKR, I bet that if Morpheus didn't take the wrong medication pill he would of kicked Mr.Smiths A$$ in the bathroom in Martrix 1
    dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By dangerapple
    @GT-Man said:

@dangerapple said:

@GT-Man said:
    morpheus was awsome

IKR, I bet that if Morpheus didn't take the wrong medication pill he would of kicked Mr.Smiths A$$ in the bathroom in Martrix 1
    right well i personaly think he gave up for neo really neo wow
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By GT-Man
    @dangerapple said:
    @GT-Man said:

@dangerapple said:

@GT-Man said:
    morpheus was awsome

right well i personaly think he gave up for neo really neo wow

Hehe what you don't like neo? he's badazz too rigth?!
    dangerapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By dangerapple

i like neo but its just hes just better then neo

digitalceo2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By digitalceo2012

@InnerVenom123: lol

Wraiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Wraiven

@oraclex: You know...How many more comic book characters are we going to tolerate being turned black, or blacks being turned white, or indians played by a white man, before we finally get tired of it? What would happen if they suddenly made Spawn White? I imagine the black community would be in an uproar...and I can't say I would blame them...I would be in an uproar right along side them! Spawn is a black man, that is how I grew up and come to recognize Spawn, if I were to wake up one day and see him played by a white man, I would be pretty ticked off. Same as I am upset that Tonto is played by Johnny Depp. Really? An American Indian played by a white man? Was there a shortage of good American Indian actors? I mean, in Batman, they made Harvey Dent black, but then made him white again two movies later.They made Bosley black from Charlies Angels. Now Perry White? I mean come on....there is no reason for this what-so-ever. Makes no sense... What is the fascination with changing the races of all these characters into some other race? Is there something wrong with a character being played by the correct ethnic group? What, was there a shortage of good middle aged white actors to pick from?

Obviously it bothered me, they changed an iconic character for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.