Follow

Paul Jenkins

Person » Paul Jenkins is credited in 735 issues.

A British comic book writer with a wide and varied career. Recently he wrote Lantern City #1 for Archaia, an imprint of Boom! Studios, Spawn: Resurrection #1 for Image Comics and is working on the following Spawn issues since.

Kickstarter Alert and Interview: Paul Jenkins' FICTION SQUAD

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Paul Jenkins has created a rich world in Fablewood. It's a place where "every nursery rhyme is actually a crime scene." Jenkins originally introduced the world in his FAIRY QUEST series. With a return trip in mind, Jenkins needs your help with his Kickstarter campaign. Joining him will be Ramon Bachs on art. You can check out the Kickstarter page and the incentives you can get.

We asked Paul a few questions to find out more about this latest series.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What can you tell us about the world of FAIRY QUEST?

PAUL JENKINS: The world is actually a giant, uncharted forest called Fablewood where all of the stories that have ever been told live side by side, and are divided by genre borders. In Fairy Quest, the Realm of Children's Stories is governed by a bunch of Fascists named the Think Police, and they make the characters tell their stories without deviation, or risk having their minds wiped in the dreaded Mind Eraser. Red Riding Hood and the Wolf rebel against this, and in order to keep their friendship alive they attempt to escape to the real world...

CV: How does FICTION SQUAD fit in with the previous volumes, OUTLAWS and OUTCASTS? Is the tone the same?

No Caption Provided

PJ: It is the same world, and I feel the art (and especially the coloring) has a similar tone. It's done in a kind of "gumshoe detective/Marlowe" style, where the main character is born in the Realm of Crime Fiction, and leaves to work in the Children's Realm after he fails to catch his bad guy. Poor Frankie Mack is the lead character of a forgotten 30's crime novella, and he realizes his only chance to make an impact in the world is to solve crimes in a town named Rimes, where all of the nursery rhymes live. After all, all Nursery Rhymes are crimes scenes.

CV: With each volume in the FABLEWOOD series, you’re fleshing out your world more and more. Did you always have a vision of what you wanted this place to be? Has it changed or evolved in any way with each volume?

PJ: I have a thousand stories to tell in Fablewood. Our next story involves a woman from Romance Realm who is sent to be an ambassador to the world of Horror Stories. She's a stranger in a strange land.

CV: You’re taking the idea that every nursery rhyme is the result of a crime. Can you give us an example or two?

PJ: Well, you know... Little Bo Sheep's sheep go missing and Humpty falls off a wall - next thing you know, Mrs. Humpty's cashing a big, fat insurance check and Bo Peep gets a payoff. In this world, the Queens and the Witches are the Mafia, basically. The Mayor is a Crooked Man and the Police Chief is Tom Thumb (he's in everyone's pocket).

CV: What can you tell us about the character Frankie Mack? What’s his motivation or incentive in the story?

PJ: He could not solve his crime, and so came to Rimes to get ahead. But he's completely out of his depth because the Children's characters are insane!

No Caption Provided

CV: You’ve had successful Kickstarter campaigns in the past. What suggestion can you offer to those thinking about starting their own?

PJ: The Kickstarter fans are largely in this to help. Of course, everyone would like to be sent a product as a reward but I am so blown away by the genuine attempts to help creators.

CV: Can we assume you have more FABLEWOOD stories in you?

PJ: I can't turn them off!

Here's the video about FICTION SQUAD:

Head on over to Paul's Kickstarter page to check out how you can help.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
    i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

fables + grimm fairy tales

Jubilation7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jubilation7

I pledged on his kickstarter projects Fiction Squad and Fairy Quest 2. And as of this date, I have yet to see ANY of the rewards I pledged for. I spent $320 between the two projects (he had no problem taking the money) and as you can see Boom has put out both projects. It is obvious that Paul Jenkins does not give a damn about any of the people that have pledged money for either kickstarter project. I urge everyone to boycott all of his work.

STOGGYRETURNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By STOGGYRETURNS

Actually BOOM! STudios took all the money and never did the work. They screwed up the whole campaign of FQ2 and Fiction Squad and were withholding the login to the Kickstarter account until about a month ago. They have never provided an accounting of how the money was spent and to this day claim everyone has been taken care of yet there are 4 years old unanswered messaged about unresolved fulfillment.

Boom robbed Mr. Jenkins, acted in bad faith as his publisher, stamped their logo all over his books without permission, sold the rights to a French company without authorizations, never paid out any royalties or revenues from online sales, connected Mr. Jenkins Kickstarter account to Backerkit without authorization and hide the sales while never servicing any of the pre-orders made through that service.

Here is the apology BOOM! Studios made over 4 years ago before abandoning the backers and running off with nearly $100,000 and all of the physical materials Mr. Jenkins had handed over from his previous campaigns.

"Thank you.

Thanks to each and every one of you for helping bring Fairy Quest 2 to life. Thank you for your support. Thank you for your continued patience.

When we partnered with Paul and embarked on our first Kickstarter campaign two years ago, we greatly underestimated the volume of moving pieces and detail that is required to successfully fulfill on a campaign of this size. We pride ourselves on creating, producing, and shipping hundreds of original comics and graphic novels every year at the highest quality level and in a timely fashion. We distribute those comics and graphic novels worldwide successfully and professionally. We've fulfilled direct sales through our webstore for years in the same way.

We have not been successful in fulfilling all of the Fairy Quest 2 rewards in a timely fashion and for that, we sincerely apologize.

The reasons for the delays are numerous and varied. In the end, the reasons don't matter as much as your expectations not being met. We wanted to let you know that we take responsibility for not getting everyone their rewards earlier. As much as Paul would love to have taken care of everyone at this point, the fulfillment has been beyond his control.

The good news is that the few remaining items are in process and will be fulfilled relatively soon. We will be working with Paul to provide more consistent updates until all the rewards have been shipped.

The statue rewards were shipped out earlier this week and those backers should receive them shortly.

The certificates for the Deluxe Edition hardcover are being printed and will soon be on their way to Humberto and Paul to sign. We expect we will be able to start shipping those out in 5-6 weeks, but will keep everyone posted on our progress.

If you have any questions about your specific reward or haven't received any rewards outside of those mentioned above, please feel free to reach out to us through contact@boom-studios.com and we'll do our best to address your concern as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,

Your friends at BOOM! Studios"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.