Follow

Orson Scott Card

Person » Orson Scott Card is credited in 101 issues.

Famous science fiction novelist. Author of the book 'Enders Game' and sequels. He also wrote Ultimate Iron Man.

Orson Scott Card at DC?

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By charlieboy

I was just wondering what everybody thinks about the Orson Scott Card controversy going on at DC? There are protesters because of his anti-gay views. I personally don't like his views but it doesn't mean I will stop reading DC comics. I think he is just writing one story arc for a digital Superman comic. I probably won't read that but I don't think that the man should be fired because of his views. I personally feel if you have a problem with the man and his views then just don't read his work. DC should not be held responsible for it. What do you guys think?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

All I know is that Tumblr is furious and it's fun as hell to watch.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle  Online

Basically. DC can't get be held responsible. Its just one mans opinion.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By charlieboy

@cattlebattle: I agree with that. And he is writing one story arc. It is not the end of the world. I am a gay man. But I am not giving up comics I love to read over one guy working at DC however briefly.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle  Online
    @charlieboy said:

@cattlebattle: I agree with that. And he is writing one story arc. It is not the end of the world. I am a gay man. But I am not giving up comics I love to read over one guy working at DC however briefly.

Plenty of people, whether they are your teachers or co workers are going to likely harbor some opinion that you don't agree with .....perhaps something like religous beliefs, sexuality or maybe they think the tattoos you have are stupid, can't win them all. I don't understand the protesting, it just makes a mountain out of a molehill. Let the guy just do his work and go, you don't have to read it if you don't want to. If he has a problem with homosexuality....whatever, I am sure someone doesn't like him for some naive reason.
    VGLosers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VGLosers

Marvel's been using him for years and adapting his Ender's Game stuff into comics. I don't hear protests at the House of Ideas...

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss

Yeah, if you fire someone because of their views on something, that sets a bad precedent. The best thing upset fans can do in this situation is express their discontent by not buying whatever it is that Card ends up writing. As for Card himself, it's a damn shame the man can't keep his mouth shut. You're a writer. Be a writer. Not an ideologue.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By skooks

The thing is he is on the board of directors for the National Organisation for Marriage, so potentially any money he makes from this could be used to attempt to take away civil rights. I don't know about firing him for his beliefs, but as for boycotting, people have a right to decide where their money should and shouldn't go. Personally I can't stand the thought of a single penny of my money going towards taking away my rights. The guy is generally an enormous, bigoted butthole, and any business that hires him should be embarrassed.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Rumble Man

people have rights to be inconsiderate and intolerant

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Humanoid

I'm game. I have no problem with him or his views. I feel like the people that are mad at him are the ones that wage war on people fighting in the war.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss

@Humanoid said:

I feel like the people that are mad at him are the ones that wage war on people fighting in the war.

Ooh, opinions on the war and civil rights are not the same. That is a dangerous direction to take this thread in.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ren_

I won't be purchasing anything he writes.

Avatar image for jacksonvillewriter
    jacksonvillewriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I won't be buying his comic. I think the garbage he's written about the LGBT community over the years is disgusting, but I support his right to free speech. I just won't be paying for it.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@charlieboy: Do we know the opinions/politics/faith of everyone who produces the games we play or the movies we watch? Usually no. And we don't care. We enjoy the content.

Mr_Hudson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr_Hudson

The only really good thing I've seen from Card was Ender's Game.

I honestly wouldn't have even known he was writing for DC if there hadn't been such a stink about it.

Personally I couldn't care less about his opinions, although it does irk me when an author shoves their views in people's faces.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

If he's not spamming his beliefs in the stories, then I don't care.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By charlieboy

@Crash_Recovery: Well generally you don't know. This guy just makes his extremely public.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@cattlebattle said:

Basically. DC can't get be held responsible. Its just one mans opinion.

basically this

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colonyofcells

Lots of americans hate gays so no need to go on a witch hunt. Ok to hate but no crimes please. Authors tend to have very unorthodox opinions whether to the right or to the left or just bizarro, so just continue business as usual.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Just heard about this because that Superman book is coming out next week with Lemire as the author instead of card. I figure the issue is pretty much settled but the topic was pretty interesting. I'm glad to hear reasonable viewpoints on the Vine since all the other net debates on this got pretty uncivil.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.