gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The next big Marvel event is here. We hear many complain about event after event but the reality is, people buy them. Big things happen. Usually. The Watcher getting shot is a pretty big thing. Through the different teasers and press releases, we know the deal. Someone shoots the Watcher and takes his eyes. The big question is who did it and what secrets will they have?

Jason Aaron covers a lot in this first issue. (Yes, there was a zero issue but that isn't fully part of this story). What's really nice is we don't just come into the story after the event has already happened. We see Uatu at his home before. You have to wonder, how could this happen to him? Was there any way he could know before? Etc, etc.

Another nice touch is seeing the calm before the storm. Aaron lets us peek in on a group of characters enjoying time with each other before they all get pulled into the investigation. It's a nice way to show the human side of them as it's all about to hit the fan for them. As the story progresses, there are other players and interesting pairings that will be looking into this crime as well. This sets the stage for the rest of the story and raises some questions for the reader to keep them hungry for more.

I'm always happy to see Mike Deodato's art. There are some big scenes for him to draw and seeing him draw the numerous different characters here is a treat. Frank Martin's colors helps set the tone as well. This isn't meant to be a happy and upbeat story. There's a nice air of mystery and suspense hanging over everything thanks to the art and colors.

The Bad

There's a lot going on here. We see a lot of different characters. Newer readers might wonder who everyone is, even though the first page does at least show everyone's name. We're not supposed to have all the answers at once, obviously, but other teams of heroes are assembled to look into things but it's unclear who is behind this. We also get a glimpse of some characters at the end but their identities are left hidden as well. We can guess who they might look like but it's hard to tell.

With so many characters, there is the fear of this getting too convoluted. Something this big, in the Marvel Universe, should involved a lot of the big players. But with the way it appears the different teams are being assembled, it's just unclear what connection each group has with each other or if they're all working based off separate motivations. If the other teams are being put together by a mystery (for now) character, will the main team be aware? It doesn't seem like something that would be kept a secret.

The Verdict

Who doesn't like a good mystery? Jason Aaron is giving us a pretty big one. The Watcher has played an important role behind the scenes in the Marvel Universe. The idea of him being gone is hard but the idea that his death may unlock deep dark mysteries is pretty fascinating. Aaron assembles an army of characters. Actually we have several different groups being brought together. There is some confusion as to why and who is doing all the arranging but that's just something that will be clear in the coming issues. Mike Deodato's art is always fun to see. His detail and style adds a certain level of elegance to the characters and he has no problem drawing a multitude of different ones. There's bound to be huge repercussions over this. This event won't directly force you to read every single other Marvel title but it's going to be fun to see how the unleashed secrets affects everyone. We're off to a great start.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

Age of Ultron served to bring Angela into the Marvel Universe...perhaps this will bring Scooby Doo in?!

In all seriousness though I'll be sitting out this event. Age of Ultron and Forever Evil have really done me in on events for awhile. It looks like it has potential, and if it's good I might it in trades.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I thought this was coming out tomorrow.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeh, i'm staying clear out of this Marvel event after Fear Itself, AvX and Age of Ultron - they've all just been so shallow

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Hulk. He shoots everyone.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It is, periodicals come out on Wednesday. Tony probably got an advanced copy for an early review.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illo_29 said:

@jayc1324: It is, periodicals come out on Wednesday. Tony probably got an advanced copy for an early review.

Marvel has faith in their books, I guess. They often let us post reviews early.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm intrigued, I like Jason Aaron and do enjoy a good mystery. Also I dig that logo. I hope it's good because if not I think I'll be done with Marvel's events for awhile.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I tried to read Infinity but I was lost on what was going on, apparently because I hadn't read Avengers or New Avengers. Will the same thing happen if I buy this?

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecannon: Infinity was a different beast, I don't think this event is tied to any certain books it'll have some tie in books that will add to it but they aren't need for the main story. I think you'll be OK.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

@illo_29: Thanks.

I'll pick this up tomorrow then.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously excited for this! I'm in the small majority that genuinely enjoys big event series and, I've go to say, this looks like it'll be a good one!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll try it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Age of Ultron served to bring Angela into the Marvel Universe...perhaps this will bring Scooby Doo in?!

I know you're joking but Scooby Doo is used over in Dc. So unlikely.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier said:

I know you're joking but Scooby Doo is used over in Dc. So unlikely.

Damn, foiled again!

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By illmatic4177

I was luke warm to Fear Its Self and Age of Ultron, like AvX for the most part, Loved Infinity (and also currently Forever Evil). This one looks promising, and I love seeing Nick Fury (original) so Im in.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I know who shot the Watcher. It was...Red Skull's daughter. =P

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: forever evil isnt bad the thing that annoys me its that it has taken forever to finish

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By HumanRocket

For those of you who are complaining about events...Infinity wasn't bad at all. Compared to Fear it Self and AvX it was a great event...not amazing but great. So I'm excited about this and I'm already calling it. CIVIL WAR 2 is coming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those of you who are complaining about events...Infinity wasn't bad at all. Compared to Fear it Self and AvX it was a great event...not amazing but great. So I'm excited about this and I'm already calling it. CIVIL WAR 2 is coming

Honestly I don't count Infinity as an event like the others were. In my mind it was a mini that had tie ins. Kind of like most of Snyders Batman except without the mini part.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket said:

Honestly I don't count Infinity as an event like the others were. In my mind it was a mini that had tie ins. Kind of like most of Snyders Batman except without the mini part.

True. Still a good read. I just want to see how this all will tie into Hickman's New Avengers once Steve regains his memories.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laabitres: Thats pretty much what I meant. My bad for not being clear. AoU started well but really just became a directionless mess. Forever Evil is still pretty good in my opinion but the amount of time it's taken and still hasn't finished has caused me to lose interest. The idea and writing itself isn't bad, DC just kind of shot themselves in the foot with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laabitres: Thats pretty much what I meant. My bad for not being clear. AoU started well but really just became a directionless mess. Forever Evil is still pretty good in my opinion but the amount of time it's taken and still hasn't finished has caused me to lose interest. The idea and writing itself isn't bad, DC just kind of shot themselves in the foot with it.

Not to butt in, but I loved Forever evil it was the pacing that ruined it for me. 3 issues had only 1 - 2 relevant pages.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier said:

Not to butt in, but I loved Forever evil it was the pacing that ruined it for me. 3 issues had only 1 - 2 relevant pages.

They could have been better with that as well, I agree. More than anything though DC just let the irons cool for me and I am just ambivalent to it's conclusion.

Hell, we already have a "Forever Evil Aftermath" book out in the form of Batman vs Bane. They just really didn't keep up the pace (in the book and in releases) to keep people interested, despite my enjoyment of the story itself.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I never buy events, but this is tempting. I love Aaron's work on Thor and the cover looks really interesting. MUST RESIST. CANNOT AFFORD.

clubberlang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He shot himself.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Lead up to Earth X ? Maybe I'll pick this up instead of the new Silver Surfer book.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#31  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@granitesoldier: But Scooby Doo has already joined the DC universe silly goose.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was....an interesting issue to kick things off, we'll see if it picks up some more steam. Kept my attention, even if a few parts felt overly talky.

The calm before the storm scene was great, I've always enjoyed seeing the more mundane side of things, I think it's a nice contrast to the amped up action that we inevitably see in events.

All in all, I thought this was a solid start, and I'll be along for the ride. Glad it's eight issues instead of twelve, I find that things tend to drag when that happens.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Marvel just finish an event?

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Marvel just finish an event?

Yes. Marvel's general flow is to tease the next event about midway through their current. It's a pretty unending stream, because, as Tony mentioned in his review, as much as people vocally complain about it on comic book forums and other internet places, the sales are undeniable for these events and their tie-ins. Regardless of the reasons people are buying them (morbid curiosity or what have you), it's sales nonetheless, and Marvel looks at their sales to determine whether or not something works for them for the most part.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheBlackHood

I think Beast shot him. The Watcher had just got finished scolding him in New X-men so it would be right up Beat's alley to do something douchy like shoot the Watcher. Totally kidding, but it would be great... hate Beast...

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I was the Watcher , after seeing all the Retcon BS and such .. I would shoot myself for being forced to watch it all.

So it was the RETCONS !

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I don't understand why people complain about "Events blah" in reality every comic story you read is in some way an event, there is no difference. It might be one or two books a month you would buy (over your present pull). Some events are not as good as other ones but that's the same with everything. This looks real cool and it's got potential. I already miss Uatu...

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cap10nate

I really enjoyed the issue. I liked the scene with Cap, Widow, Fury, and Logan at meat night (I concur that bear is one of the worst game meats that I have tried). I love seeing Fury interact with the group and running things again. I'm scared this is his last hurrah, and he won't survive the conclusion.

As for the all the events, I'm a fan. I like big stories so I will continue to buy them as long as they look entertaining to me.

Avatar image for noteworthington
    Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Differentiating "events" from the rest of a comic series, has basically no sound basis outside of saving money.

The plots of "events" affect any given book you already read in universe, so you can buy them and read along, or just continue reading your series of choice and merely get allusions to what is going on the the universe your favorite characters inhabit.

Nothing wrong with the frugal choice!

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people complain about "Events blah" in reality every comic story you read is in some way an event, there is no difference.

There kind of is. Regular story arcs in ongoings are different from events, because they tend to be self contained and not spill into other books (unless it's a crossover like Battle of the Atom). When Marvel has an event going on, the majority of their series tie into it, and to understand what's happening in certain issues of a book you may already be reading, you're probably gonna have to pick up some issues of the event. As opposed to an ongoing doing it's own self contained arcs and you can just read along without having to worry about tie-ins that A. require you to read something you may not even want to or B. interrupt the story that's already being told in the book that you're reading.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531:

I like the concept of events it's cool seeing the heroes deal with their own stuff in their solo series then something major happens so they have to crossover and stories sort of tie together. Forever Evil,AOU,AvsX events sucked. But i like Original Sin so far.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't all that impressed with this :/ But the concept didn't really grab me anyway... I'll see, I might read another issue.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was decent

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 owie  Moderator

Interesting to have an event set up like a mystery instead of a classic conflict storyline. I'm in for now. Although the whole "who's setting up this team" angle could get old quick.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The interior art was amazing, and I'm going to enjoy that we have old Nick Fury running this operation.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@chaos_burn: what about infinity

I've been meaning to get back to you on it. How did you enjoy Infinity? and have you gotten your hands on New Avengers? I hope you enjoyed both.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this, solid first issue. Murder mystery, excellent Jason Aaron writing, gorgeous Mike Deodato art. I'm not interested in any of the other tie-ins that I'm not already reading, but I'm onboard for the main book. Oddly, I'm happy they are double shipping this so it won't drag out longer than four months.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.