Follow

Oni Press

Publisher »

Oni Press is an independent comic book publisher, founded by Bob Schreck and Joe Nozemack in 1997. Some of Oni Press’ more popular publications include Scott Pilgrim, Local, Whiteout, and Queen and Country.

Oni Press Partners with Jhonen Vasquez and Nickelodeon for New Invader Zim Comic

• 50 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Oni Press, Portland’s premier independent comic book publisher, announced today it is collaborating with Jhonen Vasquez and Nickelodeon in producing an ongoing comic book series based on the beloved animated show Invader Zim. The series will explore a new chapter in Zim’s Earth invasion and the adventures of GIR, Dib and Gaz. The first comic will release on July 1st, 2015.

"All of us at Oni Press are elated to be bringing the first new Invader Zim stories in years to a rabid fanbase," explained Oni Press Editor in Chief, James Lucas Jones. "Getting to tell those tales with folks from the show like Jhonen, Aaron Alexovich, Eric Trueheart, and Rikki Simons just makes it all the more sweet."

Zim, the diminutive, naïve Irken soldier, is assigned to invade Earth to keep him from disrupting his leaders’ plans to expand their empire. Arriving on the unsuspecting planet, he tries to blend in by disguising himself and his malfunctioning robot sidekick GIR as a human boy and his dog. Zim is constantly hounded by his nemesis Dib, who recognizes his alien nature, and Dib’s younger sister Gaz.

“I’m always confused when people say how much they miss Invader Zim because the show never stopped running in my head, and then I remember everyone else isn’t in my head," said show creator Jhonen Vasquez. "I try to imagine the world for all those people who don’t know what Zim’s been up to since the show went off the air and it makes me shudder. How can people live that way? Hopefully this comic helps make the world a better place.”

In 2001 animation fans were introduced to Zim, his oft-foiled plots to enslave the Earth and Jhonen Vasquez’s dark, funny universe on Nickelodeon. The show and Vasquez’s iconic characters went on to become cult classics with a following to this day. Fans have been waiting for the return of Zim and GIR; now they’ll get it in the first all-Zim comic book, part of Nickelodeon’s commitment to bring its beloved classic characters to new audiences.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

Oh my God...yes!

My favorite non superhero cartoon of all time!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Where is my Ed Edd n' Eddy comic?

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By kantrip

YES!!!!!

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

We got a Samurai Jack comic, and now we are getting a Invader Zim comic. Now all I need is a Megas XLR comic

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By micah007123

@johnapocalypse said:

We got a Samurai Jack comic, and now we are getting a Invader Zim comic. Now all I need is a Megas XLR comic

Don't forget Ed Edd n' Eddy

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok, so i got my samurai jack comic and now Zim. Now i just need a Teen Titans continuation.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

“I’m always confused when people say how much they miss Invader Zim because the show never stopped running in my head, and then I remember everyone else isn’t in my head," said show creator Jhonen Vasquez. "I try to imagine the world for all those people who don’t know what Zim’s been up to since the show went off the air and it makes me shudder. How can people live that way? Hopefully this comic helps make the world a better place.”

Jhonen is awesome

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I am beyond excited for this. Can't wait

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnapocalypse: We also have an Avatar the Last Airbender comic too.

Avatar is the best thing EVER!!! but I am excited for this Zim comic

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ParaChomp

Nickelodeon doing something smart? Who am I kidding? Invader Zim is one of my favourite cartoon of all time, I'm buying this and am glad they got creator Vasquez (especially considering he has experience in comics).

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stoked, definitely getting this one. Lets bring back Johnny next!

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@werst9:

Teen Titans Go! (the comic series)?

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd love to see a Gargoyles ongoing from Marvel since they are part of Disney these days.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go ahead, ask me how many episodes of Zim I have on DVD. ALL OF THEM THANKS FOR ASKING

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

*adds yet another title to his ever-growing pull list*

I'd love to see a Gargoyles ongoing from Marvel since they are part of Disney these days.

^^also this. i would pull that too, haha

Avatar image for deactivated-6078d92bc3efb
    deactivated-6078d92bc3efb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Samurai Jack and then Dexter's Lab and now this, the last couple of years the comic industry has really breathed some life into these old IP's. I applaud the effort. Courage the Cowardly Dog would make a great comic, just saying.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@hit_monkey: Yeah. I miss the Gargoyles universe. There was a continuation written by Greg Weisman and published by Slave Labor Graphics years ago. If Marvel does bring it back I hope they do Timedancer, Gargoyles 2198, and the other arcs that Weisman wanted to do.

I never really got into Invader Zim but I saw a few episodes back in the day and thought it was cool. Hopefully if this comic does well it may encourage Nickelodeon to adapt more of their properties like Danny Phantom perhaps.

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very happy to hear about this! Can't wait to start picking up these issues! :)

zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for another round of merchandise at Hot Topic!

Exile-616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

holds up spork

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! Always liked how Zim tried invading our planet one bizarre scheme at a time. And GIR!!! How could anyone forget that lovable robot!

No Caption Provided

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#27 pikahyper  Moderator

finally!!!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This show had one of the best themes.

Loading Video...

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is wonderful news! I still pop in a DVD and watch a few episodes from time to time. It's still so good.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@hit_monkey: Yeah. I miss the Gargoyles universe. There was a continuation written by Greg Weisman and published by Slave Labor Graphics years ago. If Marvel does bring it back I hope they do Timedancer, Gargoyles 2198, and the other arcs that Weisman wanted to do.

I never really got into Invader Zim but I saw a few episodes back in the day and thought it was cool. Hopefully if this comic does well it may encourage Nickelodeon to adapt more of their properties like Danny Phantom perhaps.

Yeah, I have the Slave Labor Gargoyles comics even 'bad guys'. Some more would be nice. Also, YES.Timedancer and Gargoyles 2198 would be the way forward.

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: not go just original teen titans. finding out who red x was and what happend to slade? How did Terra come back? anything to fill my titans need thats not the crap new 52

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

I hope th4ey do thesame withDAny PHantom and XJ9, but I hope they won't let butch have any saying on the DP comic, it would be awesome to have all the clssic nicks in comic

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weisman said Disney pulled him off of the second season of Star Wars Rebels to work on a new secret project. I'm hoping in my heart of hearts that means a Gargoyles revival.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@romthelegionaire said:

Weisman said Disney pulled him off of the second season of Star Wars Rebels to work on a new secret project. I'm hoping in my heart of hearts that means a Gargoyles revival.

What you just told me. It made my day. Thank you. Now if you excuse me. I must change my shorts.

Lemuel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lemuel15

@werst9: Actually, the teen titans cartoon had a comic book tie-in series that was released alongside the series and even continued where the series left off after it was cancelled.. It introduced new characters, expanded on the backstories of the Titans, even answered some lingering questions, and gave the fans some closure to the Terra storyline.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@werst9:

@lemuel15 said:

@werst9: Actually, the teen titans cartoon had a comic book tie-in series that was released alongside the series and even continued where the series left off after it was cancelled.. It introduced new characters, expanded on the backstories of the Titans, even answered some lingering questions, and gave the fans some closure to the Terra storyline.

Thankyou, this is what I was referring to. The comic series titled Teen Titans Go! was a continuation of the original animated series and it debuted long before the animated series also titled Teen Titans Go! (which also got a comic titled Teen Titans Go!, because DC apparently enjoys making fans go cross-eyed from confusion).

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome.

Beata

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just rewatched the pilot of Invader Zim a few days ago and it reminded me how much I missed it. I'll definitely be grabbing this when it comes out!

BenStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BenStark

YES!
    My favoritew cartoon ever! All I need now is a Megas XLR comic and my life will be complete!

WolfMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let the madness resume... MADNESS!!! Ooh I like madness. Now make Freakazoid a comic!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.