Follow

Odin

Character » Odin appears in 1372 issues.

Odin Borson, is a nexus being who is omnipotent and almost unrivaled in raw power . He is the son of Bor Burison, brother of Vili and Ve, husband of Frigga and the father of Thor, Vidar, Balder and adoptive father of Loki. Odin is the wisest and by far the most powerful of the Asgardian Gods. Alpha of the council of God Heads Odin is a name that is respected and feared throughout the Marvel Multiverse.

Overpowered Odin

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By White Phantom

OK, who here has read the original Norse myths. If you have then you know that the original Odin had nothing like the Odinforce. He was the wisest being in all the 9 worlds, harnessed the Rune Magic, could see anywhere on his throne, had a spear that never missed, and rode a horse that could ride anywhere. So why did Marvel give him the Odinforce when, I thought, he was fairly powerful already, but the Odinforce seemed just like a way to make Odin super powerful. So my question is, do you think they should of make the Odinforce or kept Odin more like he was in the myths?

Kal-Kent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kal-Kent

well its comics they dont want to make it exactly like the myths or it will be boring.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eternal Chaos

White Phantom says:

"OK, who here has read the original Norse myths. If you have then you know that the original Odin had nothing like the Odinforce. He was the wisest being in all the 9 worlds, harnessed the Rune Magic, could see anywhere on his throne, had a spear that never missed, and rode a horse that could ride anywhere. So why did Marvel give him the Odinforce when, I thought, he was fairly powerful already, but the Odinforce seemed just like a way to make Odin super powerful. So my question is, do you think they should of make the Odinforce or kept Odin more like he was in the myths?"

I can ask you the same thing about DC.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zee crusher

Simple white fantom. If your read the Surtur comics back in the day when odin was young he had two brothers. After he and his two brother killed the frost giant ymir they created the 616 earth. They felt as to so cocky they tried to take on Surtur. After they broke Surturs sword odin made a run for it. Sadly however his brothers had to stay behind. The power of odins two brothers is what makes up the odin force. The Odin force was originally odin and his brothers merged. Now its just the left over power they gave to Odin right before Surtur killed them with a simply blast separate. Also in mythology Thor and loki were some of the closets friends. In comics more like bitter enemies. Thors name wasn't really thor either lol and in mythology he was actually smart. In comics thor gets tricked pretty easily and Odin sometimes even ask Loki for advice sadly. Comics for you.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zee crusher

Also I agree with EC have you seen what DC did to captain marvel or lord shazam??

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gottheit

I feel they should tone down Odin so that he is more in line with mythology. However, I think he should be equal to Galactus in terms of power level. Less power, more powerful, you get it?

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zee crusher

Gottheit says:

"I feel they should tone down Odin so that he is more in line with mythology. However, I think he should be equal to Galactus in terms of power level. Less power, more powerful, you get it?"

No way he can't be anywhere near galactus power. That would mess every thing up. Think of it this way. When Thor gets odins power and what not he shall be stronger then galactus and if hes so strong why even read his comics?? If odin was stronger then galactus then his foes surtur, seth the death god, mangog would be as well. Although mangog wasn't stronger but you get the picture. As for sticking to mythology way to late for that lol. To many years for them to just change to the right way.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gottheit

I would read his comics because it is Thor. They can change everything, Zee. Everything is being remade after Ragnorok, don't you remember?

Odin should be equal to Galactus, because it is Odin the All-Father. He shouldn't be stronger.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zee crusher

Yeah but that would mess up Thor. Dc messed up lord shazam lol by making him an omnipotent god. I wouldn't want marvel to do that to Thor. Yes it did just end but I'd rather they keep to some of the things and change up only a little. On being a high father is about as strong as a weak galactus. He can't be equal to a real galactus.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gottheit

Yes he can be as strong as Galactus. He's a God, that should count for more.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lordraiden

White Phantom says:

"OK, who here has read the original Norse myths. If you have then you know that the original Odin had nothing like the Odinforce. He was the wisest being in all the 9 worlds, harnessed the Rune Magic, could see anywhere on his throne, had a spear that never missed, and rode a horse that could ride anywhere. So why did Marvel give him the Odinforce when, I thought, he was fairly powerful already, but the Odinforce seemed just like a way to make Odin super powerful. So my question is, do you think they should of make the Odinforce or kept Odin more like he was in the myths?"

As someone stated, it's comics!!! They did that to differentiate from their myth counterpart, to make him, Thor and the rest of the Asgardian pantheon unique to marvel, like giving Thor his costume! It's also well know that Thor is a redhead, but he just happens to be a tall blonde haird god in Marvel! It doesn't really take that much creativity to just use something completely that's already their, Marvel/Stan Lee just used from the Mythology to create his own in marvel! Just common sense, really!

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zee crusher

Gottheit says:

"Yes he can be as strong as Galactus. He's a God, that should count for more."

Odin isn't a god. He has a godly force. Zeus is a god Hercules is a god. Pluto is a god. Odin is not a god he ages every 100 years. He has to eat the golden apple. Either way in marvel a the real powerful beings aren't gods but cosmic beings.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zee crusher

lordraiden says:

"zee crusher says:
    "Simple white fantom. If your read the Surtur comics back in the day when odin was young he had two brothers. After he and his two brother killed the frost giant ymir they created the 616 earth. They felt as to so cocky they tried to take on Surtur. After they broke Surturs sword odin made a run for it. Sadly however his brothers had to stay behind. The power of odins two brothers is what makes up the odin force. The Odin force was originally odin and his brothers merged. Now its just the left over power they gave to Odin right before Surtur killed them with a simply blast separate. Also in mythology Thor and loki were some of the closets friends. In comics more like bitter enemies. Thors name wasn't really thor either lol and in mythology he was actually smart. In comics thor gets tricked pretty easily and Odin sometimes even ask Loki for advice sadly. Comics for you."

What was Thor's real name? if it wasn't Thor then, Zee!"

Look it up in mythology I forgot.

Gottheit says:

"No, Odin's a god."

Saying this shows how much you don't know about the gods of marvel. Keep saying that but everybody else that reads this will tell you differently.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gottheit

No, Odin's a god.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordraiden

zee crusher says:

"Simple white fantom. If your read the Surtur comics back in the day when odin was young he had two brothers. After he and his two brother killed the frost giant ymir they created the 616 earth. They felt as to so cocky they tried to take on Surtur. After they broke Surturs sword odin made a run for it. Sadly however his brothers had to stay behind. The power of odins two brothers is what makes up the odin force. The Odin force was originally odin and his brothers merged. Now its just the left over power they gave to Odin right before Surtur killed them with a simply blast separate. Also in mythology Thor and loki were some of the closets friends. In comics more like bitter enemies. Thors name wasn't really thor either lol and in mythology he was actually smart. In comics thor gets tricked pretty easily and Odin sometimes even ask Loki for advice sadly. Comics for you."

What was Thor's real name? if it wasn't Thor then, Zee!

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gottheit

I don't care what the heretics shove into their ear holes, Odin is a god.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zee crusher

Gottheit says:

"I don't care what the heretics shove into their ear holes, Odin is a god."

What does this have to do with heretics. IN MARVEL HE IS NOT A GOD IN MYTHOLOGY HE IS A GOD.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gottheit

In all realities he is a God. He is Odin.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gottheit

I am happy knowing the truth, Zee. I feel sorry for the filth you speak from your fingertips, shaming you with it's taint.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zee crusher

Gottheit says:

"In all realities he is a God. He is Odin."

What ever makes you happy keep believing that lie.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lordraiden

zee crusher says:

"lordraiden says:
    "zee crusher says:
    Look it up in mythology I forgot. Gottheit says:
    "No, Odin's a god."
    Saying this shows how much you don't know about the gods of marvel. Keep saying that but everybody else that reads this will tell you differently."

I already new, I just wanted to hear what you were going to say! Thor is his name, he just had aliases and was called differently in different cultures, just like odin has different names! Just like Odin, who's also known as Woden or Wotan amongst other names!

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gottheit

Or Wutang in the bronx.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gottheit

I am not worried that Odin is a god, Zee. I have known this for a long time.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zee crusher

Gottheit says:

"I am happy knowing the truth, Zee. I feel sorry for the filth you speak from your fingertips, shaming you with it's taint."

Sadly though I read more Odin and Thor then you thought right?? Yeah I guess so. So keep believing you lie don't worry.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zee crusher

lordraiden says:

"zee crusher says:
    "lordraiden says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "No, Odin's a god."
    Saying this shows how much you don't know about the gods of marvel. Keep saying that but everybody else that reads this will tell you differently."

I already new, I just wanted to hear what you were going to say! Thor is his name, he just had aliases and was called differently in different cultures, just like odin has different names! Just like Odin, who's also known as Woden or Wotan amongst other names!"

Woden is thors sons name.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gottheit

Just like Goku named Gohan after the man he recognizes as father.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zee crusher

Gottheit says:

"Or Wutang in the bronx."

Your ignorance and joking isn't funny I'm done here I've proven you wrong enough. You remind me of how vance astro use to act.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gottheit

I love you.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lordraiden

zee crusher says:

"lordraiden says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "lordraiden says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "No, Odin's a god."
    I already new, I just wanted to hear what you were going to say! Thor is his name, he just had aliases and was called differently in different cultures, just like odin has different names! Just like Odin, who's also known as Woden or Wotan amongst other names!"
    Woden is thors sons name."

Read on, my friend:

Aesir (Æsir in Old Norse) were one race of gods that resided in Asgard. Their counterpart and once enemies, whom they warred upon, were the Vanir. The Vanir were more deities of nature and fertility. Whereas the Aesir were more warlike than their rival. When the two warring races, Aesir and Vanir, made peace, the Vanir deities such as Njörd (Njord), Frey and Freyr became Aesir. (See War of Aesir and Vanir for more detail.)

Only four of the Aesir deities were common to other Germanic tribes: Odin (Wodan), Frigg, Thor (Donar) and Tyr (Tiw or Tiwaz). See Teutonic Deities.

The only son's Thor had I know of are Modi & Magni! P.S. Donar was another name associated with Thor!

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the creator

zee crusher says:

"Gottheit says:
    Your ignorance and joking isn't funny I'm done here I've proven you wrong enough. You remind me of how vance astro use to act."

A little bit of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zee crusher

The_Creator says:

"zee crusher says:
    "Gottheit says:
    Your ignorance and joking isn't funny I'm done here I've proven you wrong enough. You remind me of how vance astro use to act."

"

Coming from the iggnorant guy who think kalibak is 20x stronger then hulk lol and surtur stronger then galactus lol. Just shut the hell up once you read a comic then what you say can actually matter till then just stick to messing around with peoples messages and your lies and estimates.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zee crusher

zee crusher says:

"The_Creator says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "Gottheit says:

"

Coming from the ignorant guy who think kalibak is 20x stronger then hulk lol and surtur stronger then galactus lol. Just shut the hell up once you read a comic then what you say can actually matter till then just stick to messing around with peoples messages and your lies and estimates."

Avatar image for chokmah_ravenhurst
    Chokmah Ravenhurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, time for me to put my two-pence in.

Thor (thunor, thror, thorr etc) wasn't smart in the myths. He knew a bit about mythology, enough to get him by in a contest. He was quick witted with his tongue as well. But he wasn't especially intelligent. He had a tendancy to solve problems by hitting them with his hammer and hoping for the best, that is why he was teamed with Loki so many times.

Woden is just a different dialects name for Odin and not Thor's son. As stated above Modi and Magni where Thor's sons and a daughter called Thrud. He also had a stepson called Ull (Ullr) who was such a mighty god that he deposes Odin on several occasions. The legendary Thor (rather than the mythic Thor) also had a son called Loridi, but since that was Thor as a legendary hero rather than a god he probably doesn't count here.

I don't know much about Thor in Marvel (other than Ultimate Thor) but it would be cool for Ull to make an appearance if he hadn't already. He was an archer god who lived in lands even more inhospitable than those of the Vikings. He was also a shaman god, like the early Odin.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the creator

zee crusher says:

"The_Creator says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "Gottheit says:
    A little bit of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think. "
    Coming from the iggnorant guy who think kalibak is 20x stronger then hulk lol and surtur stronger then galactus lol. Just shut the hell up once you read a comic then what you say can actually matter till then just stick to messing around with peoples messages and your lies and estimates."

Love those misquotes.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gottheit

What's funny is Colt Python would probably be more offended by Zee's earlier comment then me. lol.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Apparition

zee crusher says:

"zee crusher says:
    "The_Creator says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "Gottheit says:
    Coming from the ignorant guy who think kalibak is 20x stronger then hulk lol and surtur stronger then galactus lol. Just shut the hell up once you read a comic then what you say can actually matter till then just stick to messing around with peoples messages and your lies and estimates."
    "

why are you calling him ignorant? he's one of the most knowledgable guys on this site.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By the creator

Apparition says:

"zee crusher says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "The_Creator says:
    "zee crusher says:
    "Gottheit says:
    "
    why are you calling him ignorant? he's one of the most knowledgable guys on this site."

Thanks for the support Apparition but statements like that mean little to Zee.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hadrelius

Why would anyone think Odin is as powerful as Galactus? Galactusd is a supreme cosmic entity, while Odin is just a god. Galactus power surpasses the Celestrials (being a force in the universe with Death and Eternity). Odin had to once get all the other gods like Zeus, to confront just one Celetrial, and even that wasn't enough power to do anything. Odin is powerful, but again, he is just a god. He's not even the most powerful, since even Zeus power rivals his. People need to understand what Galactus is.

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By White Phantom

Personally, I thought Odin was fine in the myths, and plenty powerful. I mean, he had rune magic, could see anywhere on Earth, his spear never missed, the works. And I'm fine with them powering him up, but he isn't even one of the main heroes, so why work to make him different like he would be one?

TruePwnge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TruePwnge
    @zee crusher said:
    "

Simple white fantom. If your read the Surtur comics back in the day when odin was young he had two brothers. After he and his two brother killed the frost giant ymir they created the 616 earth. They felt as to so cocky they tried to take on Surtur. After they broke Surturs sword odin made a run for it. Sadly however his brothers had to stay behind. The power of odins two brothers is what makes up the odin force. The Odin force was originally odin and his brothers merged. Now its just the left over power they gave to Odin right before Surtur killed them with a simply blast separate. Also in mythology Thor and loki were some of the closets friends. In comics more like bitter enemies. Thors name wasn't really thor either lol and in mythology he was actually smart. In comics thor gets tricked pretty easily and Odin sometimes even ask Loki for advice sadly. Comics for you.

"
    If you have pix of the Galaxy busting please post them in this thread
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Alpha said:
    "

Why would anyone think Odin is as powerful as Galactus? Galactusd is a supreme cosmic entity, while Odin is just a god. Galactus power surpasses the Celestrials (being a force in the universe with Death and Eternity). Odin had to once get all the other gods like Zeus, to confront just one Celetrial, and even that wasn't enough power to do anything. Odin is powerful, but again, he is just a god. He's not even the most powerful, since even Zeus power rivals his. People need to understand what Galactus is.

"
    agreed. i have equal love for Thor comics and Cosmic stuff, but those are spot on facts.

as for odin, leave him the way he is. firstly, he's not the mythological version persay, he's a Marvel universe superhero representation as are the rest, and by being attached and having a huge history in the Marvel U, the detailed mythoological account wouldnt match. as for power levels, Thor already got his messed with, and Zeus lost it all. cant see now as the time such a storyline would work, especially with Odin not even being around nor in play.
    Strife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Strife

Silver age odin was crazy.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Theworldbreaker

These are all the gods marvel needs.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thor's hammmer

he is to powerful skyfathers shouldn't be shaking the multiverse.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By PowerHerc

Odin is not overpowered.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.