Follow

Oberon Sexton

Character » Oberon Sexton appears in 22 issues.

Oberon Sexton was an English best-selling crime author and "amateur" detective. He was killed by the Joker who later usurped his identity.

Batman and Robin #12 SPOILERS

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By Theodore
    Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Paragon

I actually never saw it coming! What's interesting now, is it seems like "Oberon" knows who Batman is/was.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

what's great is that Joker wants his Batman back so bad that he's willing to help Dick

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Theodore

Yeah it's a great twist!

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Gylan Thomas

YUCK!

More left field Morrison crazyness.
    I'm out :(  

@danhimself: 
    Dude! Gotta spoiler warn your post :)

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Theodore
    @Gylan Thomas: You didn't like it?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I like it!!!! Awesome twist!
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @danhimself: 
    Then again the blog title is spoiler warned. No biggy :)

@Theodore: 
    I'm just waitin' for DC to write a bump on the ehad and have him forget who Batman is again. 
    I haven't read the issue so I don't know if they explain how he figured it all out either but it feels out of character. 
    It's just classic Morrison for me. I don't dislike his work. He's got some good ideas of his own. Hate when he's allowed to play with the big names though.
    JLA worked for me 'cause no big changes happen out side of a characters own book and a writer can do epic with the league. All Star Superman was fun because it wasn't Superman proper but I hate his Batman and with Final Crisis I constantly felt like I was missing some thing there seemed to be so many dangling plot lines and jumps forward. Hated the ending too.
    He's said in an interview he didn't know what to do with Wonder Woman in Final Crisis but he's got an idea now. I sincerely hope he's never allowed to follow through with it.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By the_fallen11

This was great. I never saw that coming...although I'm not a huge fan of the art, this was fantastic

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Lot of people praising it because they it was unpredictable. i'm not so sure that's a good thing. 
    It'd easy for a writer to go in a totally left field direction with a story and thus keep the reader guessing.
    I can't help but feel there's gonna be a lot of clean up left over for over get the Bat gig after Morrison. 
    Remember how quickly the X-folk got back into the supersuits after he left New X-men?
    (I did sorta enjoy New X-men though)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @Gylan Thomas:  sorry about the spoiler...Joker was told who Batman was by Doctor Hurt during R.I.P.....IIRC
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:  sorry about the spoiler...Joker was told who Batman was by Doctor Hurt during R.I.P.....IIRC "
    I'm sorry I mentioned the spoiler thing. With a spoiler warnin' in the blog title no need to spoiler warn if some one's already opened it :)

Thanks for the update. I'd quit Batman by then. Picked up the trade at the library to see what the fuss was about. Should've remembered I suppose but like DC when the next retcon comes I'm tryin' to forget this run :P
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_fallen11
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Lot of people praising it because they it was unpredictable. i'm not so sure that's a good thing.  It'd easy for a writer to go in a totally left field direction with a story and thus keep the reader guessing. I can't help but feel there's gonna be a lot of clean up left over for over get the Bat gig after Morrison.  Remember how quickly the X-folk got back into the supersuits after he left New X-men? (I did sorta enjoy New X-men though) "
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Lot of people praising it because they it was unpredictable. i'm not so sure that's a good thing.  It'd easy for a writer to go in a totally left field direction with a story and thus keep the reader guessing. I can't help but feel there's gonna be a lot of clean up left over for over get the Bat gig after Morrison.  Remember how quickly the X-folk got back into the supersuits after he left New X-men? (I did sorta enjoy New X-men though) "
    you do have a point but I really like the fact that I didn't see it coming, its refreshing, we ALL knew there was gonna be a White Lantern in Blackest Night and a Black Lantern "Batman", we ALL knew who was going to bite the dust in X-Force this week comics more often then not can be very routine, I find it really cool when they throw craziness at me, but I would be annoyed if it happened all the time.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Theodore

I actually thought of it a while ago, but didn't think they would actually go there, so the fact that they actually did made it a surprise.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself

it may have been unpredictable but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense for Joker to help Dick get "his" Batman back....he would want Bruce back even if it meant helping the current Batman to do it

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Theodore:
    @the_fallen11:

I think it's just a bit too much.
    Doesn't any one else think it seems sort of out of character for Joker?
    Could he really play it straight for long enough to pull it off?
    Is he even the same built as Sexton?
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself
    @Gylan Thomas:   not at all...there is no set character when it comes to the Joker....he's so insane that his personality reworks its self whenever he needs to be something different....remember how he went from the crazy playful Joker of the Silver age to the crazy homicidal Joker of the Modern age
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

I was gonna post something on here as soon as i read it!Amazing i really didnt see it coming...!Great!

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:   not at all...there is no set character when it comes to the Joker....he's so insane that his personality reworks its self whenever he needs to be something different....remember how he went from the crazy playful Joker of the Silver age to the crazy homicidal Joker of the Modern age "
    I assumed that was down to Crisis.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_fallen11
    @Gylan Thomas:  
    No you’re right it doesn’t seem in his character to do this, especially since Morrison’s joker is like the craziest joker I’ve seen in a long long time but I really hope Grant explains where he’s been and why he’s doing what he’s doing. If you’re gonna do something unexpected you have to explain one thing; motive. That’s what Grant has to do now.  
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:   not at all...there is no set character when it comes to the Joker....he's so insane that his personality reworks its self whenever he needs to be something different....remember how he went from the crazy playful Joker of the Silver age to the crazy homicidal Joker of the Modern age "
    I assumed that was down to Crisis. "
    all of that Silver Age stuff happened...that's what Morrison's run has been all about...he's explaining all of the craziness of the Silver Age
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @danhimself said:
    all of that Silver Age stuff happened...that's what Morrison's run has been all about...he's explaining all of the craziness of the Silver Age "
    So did all of the silver age happen for every character? 
    There's too many contradictions in that.  Didn't silver age Batman have a slightly differnet origin to post crisis and modern age?
    Makes no sense at all. I understand it's fiction and superheroes and all that but good fiction needs at least a little consistancy. 

@the_fallen11 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:   No you’re right it doesn’t seem in his character to do this, especially since Morrison’s joker is like the craziest joker I’ve seen in a long long time but I really hope Grant explains where he’s been and why he’s doing what he’s doing. If you’re gonna do something unexpected you have to explain one thing; motive. That’s what Grant has to do now.   "
    I sure hope he's gonna explain it better than he did Final Crisis :P
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @danhimself said:
    all of that Silver Age stuff happened...that's what Morrison's run has been all about...he's explaining all of the craziness of the Silver Age "
    I honestly feel a better writer would've left the silver age alone and done some thing completely original instead of making every thing so confusing.
    But that's just my opinion.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_fallen11
    @Gylan Thomas:  Ha! I'm with ya on that.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @the_fallen11 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:  Ha! I'm with ya on that. "
    Thank you! :D
    Finally some on Comicvine who hasn't been brain washed in to Morrison worship :D
    XXXXXXX
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_fallen11
    @Gylan Thomas:  I know right xD
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @the_fallen11 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:  I know right xD "
    I mean, I know he's a Scot but does he have to always get drunk before he writes?
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_fallen11
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @the_fallen11 said:
    I mean, I know he's a Scot but does he have to always get drunk before he writes? "
    Lol! I know, he's a good writer but he is by no means a godsend, like others make him out to be.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_fallen11
    @the_fallen11 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @the_fallen11 said:
    I mean, I know he's a Scot but does he have to always get drunk before he writes? "
    Lol! I know, he's a good writer but he is by no means a godsend, like others make him out to be. "
    some of his stuff is so hard to follow. when I read comics my head isn't supposed to hurt from trying to figure out whats going on.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By danhimself
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @danhimself said:
    I honestly feel a better writer would've left the silver age alone and done some thing completely original instead of making every thing so confusing. But that's just my opinion. "
    all of DC's history is convoluted....a lot of characters origins were retconned during Infinite Crisis to make them more like their original origins...Batman's parent's killer was caught and Superman operated as Superboy in Smallville now....either way every writer that's come before Morrison has ignored the campy Silver age stuff because they couldn't think of a way to make it work but Morrison has thought of a way to make Batman's Silver Age stuff work and has been turning it into a pretty awesome story....I hated Morrison before R.I.P. and well into R.I.P. .... his run on New X-men made me stop reading comics all together for a while but after I read an interview with him where he explained that he was trying to make all of the Siver Age stuff relevant now I changed my mind... it takes a really brave writer to take on something as corny as the Silver Age stuff and turn it into this totally awesome mind warping dark story
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By doordoor123

This reveal kind of made me think about when joker was the red hood.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @the_fallen11 said:
    some of his stuff is so hard to follow. when I read comics my head isn't supposed to hurt from trying to figure out whats going on. "
    Final Crisis

@danhimself:
    It just really doesn't work for me to be honest.
    If all the silver age happened Batman and Robin had wacky space adventures and allsorts of stoopidness as well as all the many contradictions it opens up.
    You say it was Brave. There's a fine line between brave and foolish and for me it was foolish. If I'm honest I sort of feel any writer could've come along and adapted the silver age ideas to fit a darker tone. It's basicly a case of reworking what's already been done by other writers. It takes a better writer to come up with some thing completely original.
    He's really just taken a few of the silver age ideas that were easier to rework and used them. all the true brain farts from back in the day wont even get a mention.
    He revived the heroes club with a updated spin? Easy.
    Batmite was a halucination? Easy.
    The Batman of Zur En Lar, or what ever it was, some kind of mental defence mechanism in Bruces head? 
    It's all just taking existing ideas and reworking them.
    Maybe he could do screen plays for some of the upcoming movies. That's what most of them are.  Reworking what's come before.
    Even the idea of Dick subbing as Batman was doen in Prodigal years ago.

And don't even get me started on a flying Batmobile :P
    lol
    Exusiai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Exusiai

Ok, I'm just wondering if anyone else sees Grant's huge and Gaping plot hole in this story. All of this about how the Underground tunnels of Wayne Manor resemble a Bat Symbol, when Combined with the Above ground Wayne Manor.

Would this be the same Wayne Manor and Batcave that were Completely and totally destroyed in Batman: Cataclysm? If I recall correctly

In Cataclysm the earthquake was a mile away from Wayne Manor. The mansion was seriously damaged, as was the cave network beneath. The ground beneath the mansion shifted significantly, and actually revealed the Batcave below. The original Manor was damaged beyond repair, forcing Bruce Wayne to redesign the Manor along with the Batcave .

So, with all of that being said, where in Hades name did all these secret tunnels come from, Alfred's quoted "As you'll see the manor, designed by Nathan Van Derm for Darius Wayne in 1795, forms a stylized "W" But there is more to it than that. If we add the former lynch-way to Alan Wayne's crypt along with the proposed paths of his planned funeral garden , something familiar appears."

That's nice Really it is, but the Manor that was designed in 1795 Isn't there any more

Someone Excuse me, I'm going to move, before the Semi you can drive through that plot hole comes through here.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hamz
    @Exusiai: Nope. I interpreted that as Alfred taking the blueprint of Wayne Manor from 1795 and then adding the blueprints for proposed changes by Alan Wayne on top to form the Bat Symbol. Something they wouldn't have noticed with the current layout of Wayne Manor. Essentially he looked through records and realised over the years each change made or proposed to the layout of Wayne Manor added another significant piece to form the Bat Symbol. It's just not all of those changes survived to the modern day which is why Dick, Damian and Alfred didn't pick up on it straight away.

Keep in mind Alan Wayne was an ancestor of Bruce Wayne, ie. he was around pre-Cataclysm, so whatever planned changes to the layout he made would still exist in blueprints and records. Much like the blueprints for the 1795 design of Wayne Manor would still exist through records kept of the blueprints. The significance of this scene isn't that the tunnels and so forth exist but that the designs and layout form to make the Bat Symbol, a sure sign Bruce is stuck in the past and trying to communicate somehow.

Also keep in mind in the previous issue someone did mention multiple parts of the cave system below Wayne Manor were now unusable or couldn't be accessed due to effects from the earthquake which means the tunnels were always likely there but even before the earthquake they may have been filled in. Either by natural causes (such as a cave-in or collapse) or by man made means (such as intentionally filling or blocking them in).

Either way given the previous issue and the way they explain it I didn't see a plot hole in this myself. Seemed more like some vague explanation than anything else.
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By skaarason

can't wait to see what gm has for us next !!! 

and what happened to what the joker looked like at the end of rip 

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@danhimself said:
    " what's great is that Joker wants his Batman back so bad that he's willing to help Dick "
    good point. 

Im kinda gutted though, I really was hoping for someone more interesting
    Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pez85

That's fantastic. I was wondering when Morrison was going to bring back Joker. Turns out, he was right under our noses all along.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By johnny_spam

The reveal makes so much sense in RIP Joker we saw Joker insulting the Black Glove walk up to Hurt and say "I respect you but I am not one of your guys and you don't stand a chance against Batman". Then when we saw Oberon Sexton he said he was hunting "The Domino Killer" who was killing members of the Black Glove all over the world the reveal that it is Joker makes lots of sense because it meant he wasn't hunting the killer he was the killer. 

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By moviegeek17

should be interesting to see what happens next
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Theodore
    @johnny spam said:
    " The reveal makes so much sense in RIP Joker we saw Joker insulting the Black Glove walk up to Hurt and say "I respect you but I am not one of your guys and you don't stand a chance against Batman". Then when we saw Oberon Sexton he said he was hunting "The Domino Killer" who was killing members of the Black Glove all over the world the reveal that it is Joker makes lots of sense because it meant he wasn't hunting the killer he was the killer.  "
    Yeah he was definitely the killer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.