"Each of you will take part in our customary welcoming ceremony later tonight. Before that. You will complete a few assessments. They help us get to know you and for you to get to know us and how life is on the island. Be strong. Be wise. Be well" -- Nubia.
Nubia was the first character to use the name Wonder Woman. She was Wonder Woman's "black sister", modeled from black clay before Diana that was created from white clay after. Both were brought to life by Aphrodite, but Nubia was stolen by Ares/Mars (the Greek and Roman names were interchangeable, and more often than not, the Roman names were used. Mars was one of the gods whose Roman name was used.), so Nubia did not get the powers that was given to Diana.
Mars raised Nubia to be his warrior, giving her a special ring to keep her mind clouded. Years later, Diana met Nubia, who became her roommate. After several battles, Wonder Woman was able to release Nubia from Mars' control, when she used the heat of the sun, reflected off her bracelets, to cause the ring to expand and fall off. Nubia defied Mars, and optioned to lead her warriors to the ways of peace. It was then that Queen Hippolyte revealed the truth: Nubia was Diana's sister!
Nubia is also seen in a few issues of Superfriends, in which she is wearing a costume inspired by Wonder Woman:
A gold disc with a red feather in the top center.
A blue, strapless, legless bodysuit with yellow ovals over the breasts.
A pair of white gauntlets, over which are a pair of Amazon bracelets.
Tall, yellow boots, with the top edges folded down.
In the last issue of Final Crisis, a new Nubia appears as the Wonder Woman of Earth-23 and has regular dealing with the Superman of her Earth.
She differs from the New Earth Diana in that she seems to be based on (the equivalent of on her Earth) and has complete access to its technology and mystical devices, suggesting her position may be more akin to Queen Hippplyta rather than Diana.
Nubia's Wonder Woman armor is different from that of the New Earth Diana in that has actual body plates covering her abdomen area showing stomach muscles in grey plate.
The specific background of has yet to be fully revealed at this time.
Nubia possessed a magic sword created by Mars/Ares which was the only weapon on Earth that could counteract Diana's magic lasso. She could also glide on air currents like Wonder Woman and possessed super-strength as well as all other Amazon abilities.
Nu'Bia wears special magical armor with a raised embossed lion's head on its breastplate. Nu'Bia has been shown traveling back and forth to Hades at will, and from there to other mythological realms. Typically when she is about to appear at a new location the lion's head on her armor appears as part of the doorway, suggesting that the armor might be the source of this ability. In honor of an ancient pact, the Gorgons of the underworld blessed Nu'Bia with the Cold Sight, which allows her to turn anyone to stone. She carries an unspecified magic sword. She possesses super-human strength and all other abilities equal to that of a standard Themyscirian Amazon and has millennia of experience in fighting and killing demons.
Queen Hippolyta, ruler of Themyscira and mother to Diana and Nubia.
Princess Diana, Wonder Woman and sister to Nubia.
Jason, son of Hippolyta and Zeus also the first male born on Themyscira.
Phillipus, general and former co-ruler of Paradise Island.
Artemis, of Bana-Mighdall, Bana warrior, former co-ruler of Paradise Island and former Wonder Woman.
Donna Troy, the first Wonder Girl and member of the Titans of Myth, Queen Hippolyta's adopted daughter.
Cassandra Sandsmark, the second Wonder Girl, Granddaughter of Zeus.
The Olympian, Achilles Warkiller became the King of the Amazons, later gives Queen Hippolyta back the throne.
Steve Trevor, love interest to Wonder Woman, first man on Themyscira and honorary Amazon.
The Amazons, of Themyscira.
- Height: 6'5"
- Weight: 180 lbs
- Hair: Black
- Eyes: Brown
Powers and abilities
Nubia's Powers are thought to be just like her sister Diana since they both were made the same way.
- Superhuman Strength: She has the ability to lifted far in excess of 100 tons.
- Superhuman Durability: Nubia possesses a high resistance to damage and magical attacks. Like Wonder Woman Nubia is extremely resistant to blunt force attacks.
- Flight: Nubia is capable of unassisted flight through magical means.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Nubia was easily able to keep up with Wonder Woman in a Hand-to-Hand battle and she possesses reflex abilities similar to speedsters, such as the Flash. Batman noted that Wonder Woman's reflexes are superior to that of even Superman himself.
- Superhuman Speed: Since Nubia has superhuman-reflexes her speed should be on the same level as Wonder Woman's.
- Superhuman Agility: Nubia's agility is far beyond that of even an olympic level athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Nubia can last a great deal of time in any fight and with virtually anyone. She has held her own in combat with foes as powerful as a Wonder Woman.
- Healing: Nubia can heal at superhuman levels.
- Superhuman Senses: All five of Nubia senses can be used at an superhuman degree.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Nubia is a trained warrior and can fight with the best of the best.
Nubia is somewhat vulnerable to piercing weapons, such as projectiles.
Log in to comment