Follow

Nova

Character » Nova appears in 1111 issues.

Richard Rider was a young teenager when he was granted the power of a Nova Centurion. He would have many adventures both on his own and with his peers among the New Warriors; Richard even became a member of the Avengers ever so briefly. He eventually became Nova-Prime, leader of the Nova Corps, where he established himself as a universally cosmic hero of immense power.

your opinion about Nova Corps in the movie

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How do you feel about the rendition of Nova corps in Guardians of the Galaxy? Did it do them justice, or were you disappointed?

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really disappointed

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They were fine for what we saw (as far as design goes), but I think everyone would've loved to see some actual Centurions in their iconic get-up. Personality wise though, I thought they were fantastic. Fit within the tone of the film well without compromising who these people are at their core. They still seemed like authoritarian peacekeepers, but with a little added heart, a light-ish attitude, and a grounded sense of humor.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetrolldance:

I was too, but since I only just started getting into nova I was probably less let down than hardcore fans.

@jaken7 said:

They were fine for what we saw (as far as design goes), but I think everyone would've loved to see some actual Centurions in their iconic get-up. Personality wise though, I thought they were fantastic. Fit within the tone of the film well without compromising who these people are at their core. They still seemed like authoritarian peacekeepers, but with a little added heart, a light-ish attitude, and a grounded sense of humor.

that's a positive way to look at it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@w0nd: Yeah, which is odd for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The attempt made to save the city was a pretty cool scene, and it got across how powerful the Nova Corps could be, but considering how this was a film to do more with GoTG and not Nova Corps, I think they were represented okay. I would much rather have a film about them specifically.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

The attempt made to save the city was a pretty cool scene, and it got across how powerful the Nova Corps could be, but considering how this was a film to do more with GoTG and not Nova Corps, I think they were represented okay. I would much rather have a film about them specifically.

now t hat they were introduced though, and shown to be standard cops and all human, idk how a future movie will go. Maybe one day we will see

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@w0nd said:

@ms-lola said:

now t hat they were introduced though, and shown to be standard cops and all human, idk how a future movie will go. Maybe one day we will see

You know, I did not notice that. They were all humans, weren't they? I guess they will stay peripherally in the Guardians Universe, and hopefully more will be done with them.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I thought they did a great job introducing the team into the MCU, and while I don't know much about them comic-wise, personally I'd like to see them explored more in solo Nova movie in the future.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By w0nd

@ms-lola said:

@w0nd said:

@ms-lola said:

You know, I did not notice that. They were all humans, weren't they? I guess they will stay peripherally in the Guardians Universe, and hopefully more will be done with them.

Well they all looked like humans at least, they could be alien, but they refereed to Peter and the other human race as "Terran" or something like that.

@war_killer said:

I thought they did a great job introducing the team into the MCU, and while I don't know much about them comic-wise, personally I'd like to see them explored more in solo Nova movie in the future.

In the comics they were pretty much like green lanterns.. Flight, energy blasts and super strength, They all share their power, from a central computer (like the oa battery) and the higher up you are the more power you get, "nova prime" was one of the strongest, but in the movie she was just like a police captain. And there weren't that many human ones, also like green lanterns.

As characters in the movie i thought they were cool. I mean if there were a bunch of super human super strong space cops flying around it probably would have taken attention away from the main cast lol.

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

The film made it impossible for Centurions or any Nova's with super powers to exist. If there was any then they would be there protecting Xandar. The Corps was limited to normal guys with guns and space ships. Denarians are supposed to be powered and they were in the film. With no powers.

Gunn has stated that he is not a fan of the Nova corps and it shows because he made it all but impossible for there to be a solo Nova movie.

When I think about it I get kind of angry because RR is my favourite character.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alak

I was actually thinking about this recently, and I believe there may be a work-around based on the fact that Gunn didn't dive too deeply into Xandarian lore. At this point in time within the MCU, Xandar had some pretty admirable technology. They had the ability to harness gravimetric powers for the purpose of policing (restraining the main characters when they first encounter each other) as well as actual warfare (casting a large net to slow the Aster's descent). This gravimetric power could very well be the Nova Force. After Ronan easily wiped out their navy and nearly destroyed the planet, the Nova Prime and the rest of Xandar may conclude that they need to reevaluate their defensive system. While their military could be potent enough to fight civilized empires (i.e.- the Kree), it has proven futile against cosmic entities.

This is when they decide to pour the Nova Force into individual soldiers, thus, leading to the creation of the Nova Corps. Through the use of "super soldiers", Xandar recovers its reputation of becoming an elite police force in the galaxy. Due to Peter Quill's surprising heroic potential, Xandar decides to visit Earth to recruit a Terran corpsman to add diversity to their ranks. That's when our beloved Richard Rider enters the MCU.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they were weak. much like the rest of the MCU so far. but hopefully that will change. even if it doesnt, it doesnt really matter cause the films are entertaining.

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak: @sodamyat: @jaken7: @thetrolldance: @w0nd:

I am glad that I am not the only one who was complet disappointed with the nova corps, even there ships were destroyed with there power net/shield, I am starting to think that maybe the novas that we saw were a general soldier type and that maybe the real novas like we know are maybe in there space sectors or maybe they hung up there nova power helmets in part of there alliance with the kree empire.

I knew that we would not see many or any real novas in this movie because they would be to powerful compared to the guardians of the Galaxy.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbadwolfx0: the whole movie was weak. drax was like a regular human strength guy in it for christ's sake.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.