Follow

Notable Comic Book Advertisements

Concept » Notable Comic Book Advertisements appears in 46 issues.

Comics and graphic novels have given us many famous and notable advertisements through the years. Who can forget the Charles Atlas ads, the X-Ray Specks, Sea Monkeys, or the mysterious Grab Bag?

Captain 'O' (Ad Heroes #4)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateAd Heroes #4:View:Attached to Forum:Last Sighting:
    05/01/19Captain 'O'(Blog) (Forum)Chris Bishop3: Max Action!

Ad Heroes are superheroes that are created specifically for a certain ad, outside of the comics medium. Some are just eye candy, some are funny, and some are just weird. As I run across them, I'll make a blog to showcase them.

No, not Olympian. That would have been too cool...
    No, not Olympian. That would have been too cool...

Okay, I'm sort of cheating with this one, because this guy did appear in comics. More commonly: on the back cover of comics. For years. In fact, this ad may very well have ran longer than Spalding Presents Street Ball, if you can believe that.

Captain 'O' was created for Olympic Sales Club, Inc.- one of those "sell our stuff and get swell prizes" gimmicks that ran on comics for years, like Grit or The Consumer Gazette that was being advertised in Margie gets FRee GIFTS for the whole family. As a young child, I never understood why they'd design such a cool looking hero, but not give him his own comic book. Of course the answer was that he was only the eye candy that enticed young superhero fans like myself to give the ad more than a passing glance.

The kids look a little... I dunno... dubious about this hero.
    The kids look a little... I dunno... dubious about this hero.

Usually rocketing across the upper left corner of the ad, he was sometimes merely posing with a few children to show how kid-friendly he was. This ad ran long enough to see the number of prizes change at least once, from 86 to 100. At one point, stars and a planet were even worked into the normally plain blue background. For the most part though, the ads stayed the same over the years.

What did not stay the same- and this may be a subtle hint to the Captain's true personality off-camera- were the names of the many Captain 'O' Operators from ad to ad; they show a revolving door of changing cast members. The children stayed the same- why didn't the operators? Was the Captain difficult to deal with? Were they forced to play obligatory damsel-in-distress roles that the Captain never quite saved them from? They all looked basically the same. Did the Captain have a type? Was a certain look the criteria for being an Operator, ala Star Sapphire? Or were they perhaps glimpses into alternate Earths- hints that no matter the world, the same woman would stand behind this super salesman, no matter what her name might be?

Whatever the case, let it be known that Captain 'O' did not sell alone! Oh no! Behind him were a legion of Captain 'O' Operators! With names like Ann, Bridget, Dawn, Deb, Janet, Marcia, Peggy, and Sally! ...Okay, those were actually their names. But let us pay tribute to these: the...

...Captain 'O' Operators on Infinite Earths!
    ...Captain 'O' Operators on Infinite Earths!

Um...ahem...yes...I got a trifle...carried away there. But then, what good is a blog if you don't indulge yourself? Anyway, here are some of the ads:

By the way, I checked the 800 number- it's some roadside assistance sales thing now. Ho hum.

I hope you enjoyed it. See you when I spot the next Ad Hero. As always, thanks for reading.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
    Captain 'O'
    Captain 'O'

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Ad Heroes are superheroes that are created specifically for a certain ad, outside of the comics medium.

oh yeah, Sketchers has a lot of those

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop

@amazing_webhead said:

Ad Heroes are superheroes that are created specifically for a certain ad, outside of the comics medium.

oh yeah, Sketchers has a lot of those

Yeah, I have at least one of them on the backburner... although the character did actually get a comic, so I don't know if I'd count it. ;)

Avatar image for cellophane_girl
    Cellophane_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Ha ha great running into this. Just wonderful brings back a lot of good memories. Great piece?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha ha great running into this. Just wonderful brings back a lot of good memories. Great piece?

Thanks. I had fun doing this one. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.