Follow

Nightcrawler

Character » Nightcrawler appears in 7172 issues.

Kurt Wagner is a prominent member of the X-Men and former member and leader of Excalibur. He possessed the Neyaphemian ability of teleportation, as well as incredible agility, wall scaling and a prehensile tail. Nightcrawler is a devout Catholic, contrasting his demonic appearance. He is a highly skilled swordsmen and former circus acrobat.

Good / self contained story?

AgentOfAnarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AgentOfAnarchy

Hey I don't read x-men apart from x-23 but would like a good story arch or one shot that focuses on nightcrawler without having to know the ins and outs of x-men.

asmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By asmus

AOA - good question.  Nightcrawler was my #1 character that got me into comics.  But, sadly, there aren't a ton of great stories for him outside of bigger team-focused tales. 

ONE-SHOTS:
    X-Men: Origins - Nightcrawler was a pretty good one-shot recently.   I would also recommend one of the first comics I wrote - awkwardly titled X-Men: Manifest Destiny - Nightcrawler.  It got a little muddled in its journey from proposal (a miniseries) to its ultimate fate (a one-shot with a few mandated changes).  But I would say that if you like Nightcrawler, you should enjoy the center 80% of the book.   

As for single-issues:  maybe Excalibur #31 & Uncanny #204

MINISERIES: 
    There was a solid (if surprising) limited series in 2004 just titled Nightcrawler that lasted 12 issues.  The first few issues aren't great, but the series improves as it goes along.  I don't think you'd 'miss' anything if you got issues 7-12 of that one.   

STORY ARCS: 
    My personal favorites would be the ones that got me hooked in the first place - early issues of Excalibur and the #122-165-ish range of Uncanny X-Men.  Some of the later Excalibur stuff is good (I'd consider either the Alan Davis or Warren Ellis collections) - and certainly a more modernly paced reading experience.   

AVOID: 
    Chuck Austin's X-Men stuff.   -  Unfortunately, one guy who actually spent time on Nightcrawler was one of the most widely reviled runs on the book.  I approached it with an open mind, but did not enjoy those books at all. 
    The first Nightcrawler mini (from the mid-80s) is pretty cartoony and, IMHO, doesn't hold up well.   He had a four-issue mini in the early 2000s that was bone dry and not particularly rewarding.  

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nightcrawler23

An old limited series. Ancient.

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By (((Prodigy)))

He's had a couple of mini-series in the past, but none of them have been particularly interesting or well-written, much to my dismay.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.