k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

The artwork in this issue may be inconsistent, but it really shines with the non-organic elements and the effects. The settings (debris, buildings, etc) all look perfectly fine, but it's the effects that really give these pages some much-needed energy. The vivid explosions and bright bullets soaring through the air are striking and Black Manta's glowing eyes will catch your attention.

Thankfully, Deadshot's struggle receives more attention in this one. The brief mayhem going down in China is an okay amount of fun (again, it's the effects which really sell it), but showing us Floyd's difficulty was greatly appreciated. He's just a guy who's exceptional at shooting, so without that skill being what it once was, he must feel empty, useless, and outraged. The execution of his panels allowed me to feel his frustration and anger and I'm happy that subplot made some much-needed progress.

Another highlight is Black Manta being bold enough to call out Waller when things don't go his way. A fair amount of the issue highlights the complexities behind how the squad operates and why them failing may actually be beneficial, but the narrative really shines during this character-driven moment. I'm not the biggest fan of how Waller is handled (I'll explain in "The Bad"), but it illustrates the loveless dynamic that you'd expect from the team and I think it's Black Manta's standout moment in this series. People yelling at Waller is nothing new, but he got under her skin and kept his composure while lashing out. I know he's not a part of the upcoming roster, but I hope he's given more time to shine before he potentially leaves the title.

The Bad

The inconsistent artwork is very distracting. Certain things look fine or even impressive (covered above in "The Good"), but the character work fluctuates so much from page to page and it's almost impossible not to notice it. Expressions sometimes seem off, character's appear oddly rigid, and I even noticed the new powerhouse character undergoes a change in hairstyle. Maaaaaybe leaving the planet burned off his sides?

I'm all for showing and not telling, but it feels like two full pages aren't used properly. It's a silent scene as we see Deadshot's frustration and that part is effective, but the other panels don't add anything substantial to the issue. It almost feels like showing us what should mostly be off-panel.

I love having Black Manta stand up to Amanda Waller and I'm all for giving us insight into her more vulnerable side, but she doesn't come off as a strong individual here at all. It's almost like the issue paints her as more of a victim instead of illustrating the point she thinks she's doing what needs to be done. It makes her come off as weak, not confident and strong. Showing her anger and then following it with a cool, confident and imposing rebuttal would have been an effective way to give both characters credit. Again, I'm cool with showing moments of weakness and humanizing her by looking at how lonely she is in her off-time, but this seemed to strip her of her defining characteristics.

Minor criticism: I thought it was a bit odd that Harley Quinn seems to almost have an existential crisis just because someone saved her. I get it, her teammates wouldn't and this enemy did, but is that really enough to make her question killing random enemies just because her savoir is against killing? Hasn't she experienced way worse and way crazier over the years? How many times has she encountered and possibly been saved by Batman -- a guy against killing -- again? Okay, that's an unfair question since Batman's continuity is a tricky subject, but the point is it seemed like the moment was trying a little too hard to be heavy. Also, the ending seems like it's there to offer some contrast to all of the negativity and messed up stuff we've been seeing. A "normal" life is happier and has problems that can often be easily fixed. It could also mean there's teams out there that are in much better shape. The drastic change in direction is obviously there to be thought-provoking, but it didn't really resonate all that much with me. I would have much rather received a teaser for what's to come (that would have made the next page even more exciting!) or a little more insight into the main roster. They're why many of us are reading the book, after all. Lastly, with the military focused on the area, it seems like the team escaped way too easily.

Personal criticism (and it's an ongoing one -- doesn't impact the score, though): I don't understated why Black Manta doesn't use energy blasts. The artwork makes it seem like he can use them, but then he sticks to just hand-to-hand combat against odds which obviously warrant firing projectiles. Incorporating them would certainly look good (the coloring thrives with effects) and that would add a little more excitement to the action sequences.

The Verdict

Everything in me wants to love this comic. I love the premise behind the team, I like the cast of characters, and I most definitely like seeing them get throw into all kinds of chaos. It has the potential to be smart, exciting, and even funny. However, noticeably inconsistent and stiff artwork and a mostly uneventful issue leaves me feeling pretty disappointed. There are times when the comic is obviously trying to offer something more compelling -- an effort I absolutely appreciate -- but it doesn't really deliver and unfortunately, it feels like some of the pages could have been used in better ways. I want this series to impress and feel like a noteworthy addition to Task Force X's long history, but sadly, it's just not doing anything to really pull me in, care about what's going on, and then leave me wanting more. At least not yet. Maybe the new roster (which has been teased in Channel 52) will breathe new life into this title. I wasn't a fan of this issue, but I'm still rooting for you, NEW SUICIDE SQUAD.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Jesus! Dat cover art! Sad to see this book can't find it's stride. TT seems to have done it

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

good stuff. good look at waller. and LMAO at her eating burgers and fries. i think DC wants to fatten her back up.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

2 star review? Ouch

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

good stuff. good look at waller. and LMAO at her eating burgers and fries. i think DC wants to fatten her back up.

Oh god that sounds stupid. Then again it's not to surprising since they probably want to model this after the movie in the future.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

I've been reading through the Osterander Suicide Squad off Comixology and man reading that and than looking through this is a bummer. The art just dosen't do it for me even though the first arc was actually kinda good.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SodamYat

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

Oh god that sounds stupid. Then again it's not to surprising since they probably want to model this after the movie in the future.

OR they could just want to return her to her original, fat, form.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Glad I dropped this, it's worse than the original run.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

Why? that wouldn't change her character, that would just make it harder to tell stories with her since DC is trying harder to put her in the field as much as they want her pulling strings.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

I have always liked the idea that she was a a good agent/spy as young and as she got a more desk job she got fatter.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

Why? that wouldn't change her character, that would just make it harder to tell stories with her since DC is trying harder to put her in the field as much as they want her pulling strings.

Cause thats how she was prior to new 52 and maybe theyre listening to the fans who in a wide majority like her better when she was fat...and i dont know what stories youve been reading cause she hasnt been on missions with the squad. and i only remember her having a waller one shot where she fought some soldiers and one time she fought the smart guy who was trying to take over OMACS body..so idk what issues youve been reading considering ive read every appearance shes made in the new 52.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@sodamyat said:

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

Cause thats how she was prior to new 52 and maybe theyre listening to the fans who in a wide majority like her better when she was fat...and i dont know what stories youve been reading cause she hasnt been on missions with the squad. and i only remember her having a waller one shot where she fought some soldiers and one time she fought the smart guy who was trying to take over OMACS body..so idk what issues youve been reading considering ive read every appearance shes made in the new 52.

She's been on missions, she was part of Team 7, and as you said she was on a mission in her one shot. Also if people actually have an opinion on her wight, then they're really missing the point of the comic.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SodamYat

@sodamyat said:

@sodamyat said:

2/5, no surprise here

@sodamyat said:

She's been on missions, she was part of Team 7, and as you said she was on a mission in her one shot. Also if people actually have an opinion on her wight, then they're really missing the point of the comic.

What missions?

Team 7 was many years before the start of New 52. As in before they fought darkseid 5 years ago.

So yea, like I said.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Those missions, the ones I just mentioned. Not like it matters though, for whatever reason (I still say it's the movies, that's the only reason this comic got rebooted) it's going to happen.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Those missions, the ones I just mentioned. Not like it matters though, for whatever reason (I still say it's the movies, that's the only reason this comic got rebooted) it's going to happen.

You didnt mention any. I did.

So what missions?

...yeesh. It didnt get rebooted. Its just having new characters. If youve read the book at all, youd know new characters come and go constantly.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By ForeverMan

I've tried and dropped the New 52 Suicide Squad 3 times now, one for each "new team" they've tried to launch.

IMO they are so sorely missing a Rick Flag character, and suffering Harley Quinn's overbearing presence being shoehorned into the spotlight.

They need to bring someone in to write this as a cool counter-espionage type book, instead of this weird 90's cartoon style melodrama. Though IMO that's a running theme for DC these days...

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I just said, the Team 7 stuff and her one shot.

No, rebooted as in it was revived immediately after getting canceled with a new #1 and a new title.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Who cares? it's still examples of her doing things out in the field.

No, not this one the series before this

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Who cares? it's still examples of her doing things out in the field.

No, not this one the series before this

What the heck kind of answer is that? Of couse it matters. She doesnt go on the field. Point blank. Period.

There you go then. You need to catch up with the news.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: That whole series was focused on her and the other members in the field

I'm aware they're adding a new team, I just wasn't referring to that

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: That whole series was focused on her and the other members in the field

I'm aware they're adding a new team, I just wasn't referring to that

NO. you said DC is trying to put her in the field as much as possible. THats wrong. She hasnt been on the field technically since team 7 which was more than 5 years ago. She does NOT go on missions.

Im just saying in general, it sounds like youre out of the loop and need to catch up.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I'm saying this leaves her open to go on missions (although probably not for long as we've been discussing)

Well you misread.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I'm saying this leaves her open to go on missions (although probably not for long as we've been discussing)

Well you misread.

What leaves her open to go on missions? Her being in shape? Shes been in shape for 4 years. Just stop it. Shes not going anywhere.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: That's what I'm saying.

You were saying that DC was trying to put her in the field more. I said no. And then proved my point as to why thats not true at all. If you are now changing your stance then fine. But that is not what you were saying.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I said that was the intent, and they did stuff with it, but now that they're going to change her up for the movies.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I said that was the intent, and they did stuff with it, but now that they're going to change her up for the movies.

No they didnt. For all the reasons that ive alrady stated...no. they didnt.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Yes they did, we've seen her in the field in the New 52.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Yes they did, we've seen her in the field in the New 52.

in a book that happened before the new 52. she has not been on any missioins with the squad. at this point youre just being stubborn when you know youre wrong. just stop it.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: It's part of the New 52, it takes place before the events of Justice League, but it's still part of the New 52.

What are you talking about?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: It's part of the New 52, it takes place before the events of Justice League, but it's still part of the New 52.

What are you talking about?

Yea I already said that twice. You must not be paying attention. Other than that she has not been on missions with the Squad. Thats not her job and thats not what she does. Period.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's only going to get worse.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Yeah I know, I never said it didn't take place before JL. I'm not just talking about the Squad, I'm talking about her specifically. I'm saying they wanted to leave that open as a possibility, and sadly soon that door will close.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mrmazz said:

I've been reading through the Osterander Suicide Squad off Comixology and man reading that and than looking through this is a bummer. The art just dosen't do it for me even though the first arc was actually kinda good.

I'm a huge fan of the Ostrander run. I don't know why anyone would bother picking this up.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By saoakden

Can anyone tell me when Daniel got his powers back? Last I checked he was powerless in Flash then powered up again but that was in Futures End.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Surza7

sucks that this book doesn't seem to be picking up.I dropped it a while ago,just could not get into the story and the art did not help with it either.

Avatar image for everybodyhateschris
    EverybodyHatesChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had high hopes for this series. I was enjoying the first arc but the series is suffering from a lot of instability. Especially on art, it feels like there is a different artist each issue. Not a good way to keep fans interested. I hope after convergence the series gets the lift it needs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.