undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Ever since Jonathan Hickman jumped his sci-fi epic tale of the Illuminati forward in time, it’s been a bumpy road. While the quality of storytelling has been top-notch, things like character investment and comprehension of exactly what’s going on was low, making it a plot that was interesting, but rang hollow. One of the biggest unanswered questions was the fate of Tony Stark, a question this issue not only answers, but delves deeply into while even giving us glimpses of how everything came to be as it is. Hickman’s focus isn’t solely on Stark, far from it, but he definitely takes up the most panel time of anyone. The glimpse we get of Valeria delivering a similar ultimatum as she did her father to her erstwhile Uncle Doom is used as an excuse to check in on those characters, but it also gives a greater idea as to what Doom’s plan is. In typical Hickman fashion, it looks like it’s going to be a doozy. We also get to Stark and at first, he’s in typical form in spite of his new living situation: cocky, brash, self-assured, the whole nine. But by issue’s end we see an entirely different side emerge. A much, much uglier and altogether more unsettling side that his currently inverted self could only DREAM of becoming. Between the machinations of Doom and the breakdown of Stark, there’s a lot going on in this issue, and it all comes off amazingly.

This is an issue that is almost entirely bereft of action, except for a page or two, but it’s hardly a boring or uneventful one and a large part of what makes it so interesting is the linework of Kev Walker, with an assist from Scott Hanna. This is an issue that derives its impact, and there is plenty to be had, from its emotional beats and moments and, at long last, emotions are unleashed as tempers fray and remorse for lies to loved ones are expressed through the only portal they can be: the eyes. Walker’s always been phenomenal at emotions and his angular, jagged style lends itself well to the extreme feelings splashing across the pages and panels. Frank Martin and Dono Sanchez Almara handle colors, and while there are plenty to handle, they all look gorgeous. From the Latverian laboratory to Tony’s nearly empty location to the lush jungles of Wakanda, everything looks realized and pulses with life.

The Bad

We finally get some glimpses of what brought the world to this point but the drip delivery system wears more and more thin with every issue. This one was good enough to have a solid core to steady it, and I'm hoping that, whether or not we eventually learn everything, the characters remain this powerful.

The Verdict

I’m not sure we’ll ever get either an info-dump or an issue (or two) that fully explains how it came to this, but even enough pieces to put together a cohesive puzzle would be sufficient at this point. This book typifies the kind of thing that will almost certainly read better in trade, but this issue is the strongest one in awhile, with an amazing creative team using great characters in extremely interesting ways. It’s good to see that amidst all these grand, giant ideas that people are still what makes this story tick.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hickman is amazing.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

That interaction between Black Swan and Tony...

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

AxisInverted Tony Stark + Illuminati = Makes up for this 8 months (or whatever forward time jump)...cant wait to get this.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Stark really has fallen from grace. What a true, blue, piece of crap he's become.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

That interaction between Black Swan and Tony...

It was a sight to behold that is for sure.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Very good issue. I agree the framing system for this run is a bit odd: skipping over some potentially rewarding narrative points too fast.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

This has been such a fantastic series. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. I think that Avengers World in a couple months shows us what happens between current day and 8 months ahead.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bentley has plans! Also, I couldn't imagine currently reading this series without reading Avengers.

Chrisgonzo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Doom is making molecule man create the battle world for the new Secret War. it looks like he's assembling a new world.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got Avengers: Infinite Avengers and New Avengers: Perfect World the other day. I just finished reading the Avengers last night and about to read the New Avengers sometime tomorrow. Wow. Hickman writes the most convoluted arcs I have ever seen and I'm loving it. Now I definitely can't wait for Secret Wars.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You gotta love that ending man. "Make sure when you do come back---because you need me--- that it's on your knees." I'm not a huge fan of Kev Walker but the way he set up those panels & the expressions, truly worth the money.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah man, we got blasted with a snowstorm here in MI yesterday and I had to skip comics. Gonna hit store after work and pick up the other 7 Avenger TRO or Axis tie ins!

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
    MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremis 3.0 Hulkbuster 0.0 Great issue, love the characters, the dialogue, the art. 5/5 :D

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 owie  Moderator

I think Doom is making molecule man create the battle world for the new Secret War. it looks like he's assembling a new world.

That could definitely be. I am curious whether Marvel is going to continue the relationship between Owen and the Beyonder (in the sense of their shared cosmic cube origin) or whether they're going to go off into some new origin based on the mutant-Inhuman idea for the Beyonder or something else. Or I've heard that the handbook from a few years ago redefined the Beyonder's origin in some random ambiguous new way. Personally I think the cosmic cube idea works.

Either way it was good to see Owen back, and written in a way that seems respectful, even if he is nuts now. Too often MM is treated as a joke by both characters and writers so as long as he gets some respect (and Doom is certainly doing that, he doesn't mess with anyone who he doesn't respect, even if he's using him for his own means obviously) I'm cool with it.

I think the best parts of this issue were Doom's clearly different approach to the problem from everyone else's, and the end between Stark, Jessica, and Natasha.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hickman is a beast

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a solid issue.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

so where does this fit in with the solo titles?

DubyaNW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisgonzo2010: I don't think so. He's supposed to be trying to figure out who started the incursions for doom. Doom says he's going to exact revenge on this person. It has to be someone super powerful. If Marvel is going to steal from themselves with Secret Wars then they might as well make it the Beyonder.

DubyaNW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK I'm going to be the wet blanket here. I didn't like this issue at all. I like the fact that we finally find out what happened to Tony, and what are Swans' motives etc. but Natasha and Jessica? Seriously.

The world has voted to let the Cabal kill worlds so what exactly is the danger of releasing Tony? That made no sense at all.

and I say again Natasha and Jessica judging Tony? Natasha and Jessica are murders. Murderers! Jessica was an criminal at several points in her life sometimes because her father made her, sometimes because she wanted her powers back and sometimes just because. Natasha kills people for money. She used to kill people for money because she was evil. Now she kills people for money to make-up for the fact that she use to kill people for money (pick up the current Black Widow series).

Both these women have been given a second and third chance, and they are passing judgment on Tony when he was saving the world when they were still kids....killing people for money. Did I mention that the entire world agreed to let the Cabal blow up worlds? So what is the danger in letting Tony out? He blow up world too? Stupid Stupid plot development in an otherwise good story arc.

bandoogiemanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dubya I gotta hand it to you. I didnt like this issue, but I couldnt quite put my finger on it as to why. But you spelled it out for me. I totally agree with you. Now, I'm not sure if it has been made clear as to why Tony is the Cabal's prisoner. He must have tried to go up against them at some point. I'm just wondering what his motivation was.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.