undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

I’ve been a little baffled on where the Incursion storyline is going from here and this issue did a great job of crystallizing it. We actually spend nearly half the issue on another Earth that is attempting to fight off one of the invasion by the world breaking Black Priests and we do it through the Bridge that the 616 Reed Richards built. We observe an Earth very similar to the one of the mainstream Marvel U and one that does not stand up well to the invasion. Jonathan Hickman doesn’t waste time nor mince words showing the efficiency with which these beings can take apart even the strongest, most resourceful of fighters but this universe’s Doctor Doom gives a glimmer of hope before being snuffed out himself. It’s actually somewhat difficult to watch the way it’s framed as it’s more massacre than battle and when we finally see the reactions of the main cast, they seem to agree with that notion. These are intercut with Dr. Strange, who was last seen lamenting his depowered state, seeking a boost in the Sinner’s Market, but the price may be too high for even the Sorcerer Supreme to pay.

If ever there was a title for Simone Bianchi to draw, it would be this arc of New Avengers and, even more specifically, it would be this issue. Combining the bizarre and fantastical elements of Strange’s visits with the gruesome, grisly sci-fi violence of the main story, Bianchi weaves and crafts strange, surreal visuals on all sides of the story, but they’re never hard to follow and always beautiful to behold and that’s also owed to the colors of Adriano Dall’Alpi, who’s splotchy, dark palette is perfect for the strangely macabre story being told.

The Bad

This is still a very heady book, particularly by mainstream standards, and has only just now begun to make clear sense to me. There are still some things unanswered and some very odd concepts still hanging above the New Avengers. I’m not sure I’d go so far as to call them plot holes, and I hope to never get there, but there are still some things that need a reckoning.

The Verdict

This book is still the best that thinkin’ man’s superhero readers can get. And no, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with reading something deliciously simple to just enjoy, but a book that touches on some higher concepts is definitely a standout and this book does that quite well. Its greatest accomplishment, however, has to be integrating all the characters into it organically and seamlessly. A lot of times when we get writers like this telling stories like this, the characters are just window dressing, but this story without these characters would be monumentally and demonstrably different, and I think that bears mention and praise.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

that cover is sweet

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This was a good issue.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So getting this Saturday.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

New Avengers is so good

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hickman's writing has always seemed overly complex just for the sake of being complex, to me at least.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Uh, the Black Priests never appeared in this issue. The alt-Illuminati were facing the Sidera Maris, forerunners to the Mapmakers, an entirely different group.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue was good pretty gloom and scary, very interested to see what they do with Dr Strange and his quest for Godhood

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

Want to see childhood as well

tommyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, Marvel Now has equated to Marvel Now I Should Quit Reading Comics. And Hickman's writing on the Avengers titles is one of the main reasons. I don't think I've ever been so bored, basically just flipping to the back to see, and hope, that the next issue might hold promise. I've been doing this for a year. If I want to read something 'intelligent', I'll pick up a sci-fi novel. Comics are supposed to be interesting and fun, these are anything but...

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By SavageDragon

Does anyone else feel like it's kind of a blow to this series that Bianchi is doing the art full time now? I was hoping it was just a fill in, but man, compared to Astonishing X-men Ghost boxes this art seems so rushed. Really not a fan of the last two issues visuals to be honest. The story is still very intriguing but this art is making me hesitate to spend money on it.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyx: why can't comics be fun, interesting and intelligent ?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spacemanspiff85: That'd be because it definately is. Not that it's a bad thing, though. I'm really enjoying his titles.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rubear

Is it just me or the whole theme looks like Crisis on Infinite Earths with incursions instead of antimatter walls? Even first event with something happens on unknown earth wich caused its death is the same, the first antimatter wall slammed one of DC Earth after very unwise experiment and that caused chain reaction.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else feel like it's kind of a blow to this series that Bianchi is doing the art full time now? I was hoping it was just a fill in, but man, compared to Astonishing X-men Ghost boxes this art seems so rushed. Really not a fan of the last two issues visuals to be honest. The story is still very intriguing but this art is making me hesitate to spend money on it.

the next issue is his last issue

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I love this series. Hickman has been doing awesome things and exploring serious relationships and consequences. It's clear he's building up to something massive in the next couple years. I just wish I could afford to keep picking this book up every month...instead of waiting for trades.

johnwirmel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spacemanspiff85: You are not alone...I'm still enjoying it but I feel like I'm going to be waiting an extraordinary amount of time for the payoff.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savagedragon said:

the next issue is his last issue

Good to know.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnwirmel:

If you really stop and think about what's happened in each issue, and how much the story has moved along, it doesn't seem like a ton has really happened since they found out about incursions. There's been a lot of talk about how bad things are, and showing how bad incursions are in other universes, but as far as actual plot movement, not much progress has been made in a while.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyx said:

For me, Marvel Now has equated to Marvel Now I Should Quit Reading Comics. And Hickman's writing on the Avengers titles is one of the main reasons. I don't think I've ever been so bored, basically just flipping to the back to see, and hope, that the next issue might hold promise. I've been doing this for a year. If I want to read something 'intelligent', I'll pick up a sci-fi novel. Comics are supposed to be interesting and fun, these are anything but...

Can't believe I'm reading misconceived, backward and prejudice garbage like this on Comic Vine of all places. Go ahead and leave if you want; Comics don't need you.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HELL YEAH, HICKMAN DOES IT ONCE AGAIN!

no doubt this is perfect. just like the rest of the series. the man is truly talented and his creative capabilities never seem to run dry.

Star_Boy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, this is getting a little confusing with all the concepts. I though this issue was about the Black Priest.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" I need more,,I want to be able to move worlds and shake them to their foundations. I want enough power in my hands to tear planets from the heavens and place them in a new sky."

That was chilling, and can't help to think the old saying about absolute power corrupting

This should be interesting.

But to be honest this New Avengers run has been full of great concepts but the pacing has been very slow.

The threat was revealed in issue 1 and for the most part as a reader you where lead to believe the events in INFINITY would be the culmination of that storyline, however 14 issues in we have not progressed much at all.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyx said:

Comics are supposed to be however the writer wants it to be

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By MisterAnderson

@madeinbangladesh: Yeah, I'm not interested in the innards, but I agree. I'd like that as a poster o t-shirt.

Also, @grenadeflow, sure, the creative team creates the storyworld, but fan interest drives the sales which keeps them in print.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: Yeah, I'm not interested in the innards, but I agree. I'd like that as a poster o t-shirt.

Also, @grenadeflow, sure, the creative team creates the storyworld, but fan interest drives the sales which keeps them in print.

Yeah but looking at sales most readers are content with Hickman's writing

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#33  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@misteranderson said:

Yeah but looking at sales most readers are content with Hickman's writing

same with me. I dropped this series after first couple issues. T WAS BORING as HELL to read

tommyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyx said:

Can't believe I'm reading misconceived, backward and prejudice garbage like this on Comic Vine of all places. Go ahead and leave if you want; Comics don't need you.

I don't see how I'm 'misconceived', 'backward', or 'prejudice' (sic) by expressing my opinion that Hickman's Avengers titles don't interest me. Thanks for comparing my opinion to 'garbage', netshyster. You're a real class act. Now, it's MY turn to lament how I have to read YOUR vindictive garbage on Comic Vine...

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyx said:

@netshyster said:
    @tommyx said:

I don't see how I'm 'misconceived', 'backward', or 'prejudice' (sic) by expressing my opinion that Hickman's Avengers titles don't interest me. Thanks for comparing my opinion to 'garbage', netshyster. You're a real class act. Now, it's MY turn to lament how I have to read YOUR vindictive garbage on Comic Vine...

It's not about Hickman. It's about your backward and misconceived perception of Comics as a medium of storytelling.

"If I want to read something 'intelligent', I'll pick up a sci-fi novel. Comics are supposed to be interesting and fun, these are anything but..."

In other words, Intelligent literature is the exclusive realm of Novels, Comics can only be fun and stupid. Because they're Comics...and that's how they're supposed to be right?

tommyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyx said:

@netshyster said:
    @tommyx said:

It's not about Hickman. It's about your backward and misconceived perception of Comics as a medium of storytelling.

"If I want to read something 'intelligent', I'll pick up a sci-fi novel. Comics are supposed to be interesting and fun, these are anything but..."

In other words, Intelligent literature is the exclusive realm of Novels, Comics can only be fun and stupid. Because they're Comics...and that's how they're supposed to be right?

Wow. Did you pay attention to the quotation marks on the word intelligent? Are you capable of understanding that they can alter the literal meaning of a word? I won't bother trying to explain what I meant, since you'd twist it to your demented rantings anyway.

You make a blanket statement "Comics can only be fun and stupid", implying that's what I meant. 'Stupid' is your word, not mine. I said 'comics should be interesting and fun', and my personal opinion is that Hickman's comics aren't. I never said that Marvel's current titles are ALL bad, just certain ones. DON'T try to paraphrase for me, especially when you're incapable of comprehending anything.

Now, do me a favour: Express your opinion on a comic you don't like, so I can rip it apart and insult you. I would like the opportunity to pretend I'm you, so I can misquote your comments and go off on a tangent...

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue was good pretty gloom and scary, very interested to see what they do with Dr Strange and his quest for Godhood

HELL YEAH, HICKMAN DOES IT ONCE AGAIN!

no doubt this is perfect. just like the rest of the series. the man is truly talented and his creative capabilities never seem to run dry.

New Avengers is so good

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This series is slow but I really enjoy it. Dr. Strange's quest has me really interested in seeing where this goes.

At some point the New Avengers are gonna have to take on these new villains that Hickman has created. Should be very good.

TheMagicStik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked this up, I kinda don't like how Strange is being written and the plot is getting a little contrived imo, we will have to see in the next issue though.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange level god mode incoming

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.