zack_freeman's New Avengers #5 - Magic Gone Berserk(er)! review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: New Avengers #5

The Avengers' struggle with extra-dimensional worsens terribly after they realize that the threat may stem from even before the Ancient One's time.

The Good

If there's one thing I've appreciated about Marvel's output of late, it's their willingness to push their concepts and characters forward. This isn't the Avengers I grew up on - - it's got a different thrust - - and it's more exciting for that. Similarily, I'm glad to see them to Dr. Strange and his mythos in to new areas. Spidey's joke about Agamatto simply wanting his eye back, and the magic-men's pale reactions, summed what I like about this book. You never would've seen classic Strange in that situation.

The Bad

We're five issues and I'm still not entirely clear on what mission statement sets this team of Avengers apart from the four other Avenger teams running around. I'd say they're supposed to be handling more magic/occult-based threats, but then the line-up selection doesn't really embody that as cohesively as, say, the Secret Avengers' more stealthy crew does.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

While the A feature, with all its Agamatto-associated intrigue is of the same caliber of quality you've come to expect from Bendis and Immonen, I was really more taken with the Oral History of the Avengers back-up. It might sound boring to see a prose feature entirely comprised entirely of quotations, but I find the whole thing endlessly diverting. It adds a humanism and verisimilitude to Marvel continuity. like few, if any, other features have.

Other reviews for New Avengers #5 - Magic Gone Berserk(er)!

Woman are always painted in the background 0

Cover I did not really like the cover that much. I just thought the eye on Wolverine’s head was kind of weird. Story Years Ago the hand was sent to get the eye of Agamotto from Doctor Strange, but kind of lost that battle. Hawkeye and Mockingbird unite and Hawkeye said he cannot be there to help because he had an emergency call from the other Avengers. Iron Fist said he does not Trust Doctor Strange because he is not telling the whole story. Then Agamotto shows up and he wants the eye back but,...

New Avengers #5 Review 0

Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen continue their mystic in this month's New Avengers.This issue kicks off with a scence involving the Eye of Agamotto, which I actually liked that turned to Dr.Strange and Wong kicking ass. Stuart Immonen's art is really great here. We get a scence involving Hawkeye and Mockingbird and we get an answer as to who is on what team for the couple. Hawkeye has to leave because he is getting an emergency call for the other Avengers, but I'm wondering if Sp...