tomlikesfries's New Avengers #5 - Black Swans review

Avatar image for tomlikesfries
    • tomlikesfries wrote this review on .
    • tomlikesfries has written a total of 108 reviews. The last one was for Thane

There was everything. Followed by nothing.

I've to say I'm really impressed. Hickman's New Avengers is not the typical Avengers story, in which we see some "avengers assembling" and Captain America kicking butt. No, he features the Illuminati in the book and writes a thrilling sci-fi story that'll make you wonder what'll happen next. The best part? It's not even confusing. There's all that scientific talk, which is actually very interesting here, and Hickman puts it in a way that you easily comprehend what the heck is going on. This is highly better than the current Avengers title, also written by Jonathan Hickman, that is, on the other hand, fairly confusing. What I probably loved the most about this issue was the fight scene. I was speechless after scrolling my eyes through the entire thing. There is no dialogue or narration whatsoever during the battle and that maintains the intriguing and tense tone. We see Iron Man hanging by a string and Black Bolt finally doing, or better yet, saying something.

Steve Epting's flawless pencilling fits the book perfectly. To be honest, it'd fit any book perfectly. His art is so detailed and realistic. Fight scenes have never looked so good.

Overall, New Avengers #5 is a fantastic sci-fi comic book. The writing is intriguing and absolutely not confusing and the artwork is eye candy. It's surely my favorite issue of the week. Do yourself a favor and pick this up.

10/10