Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck was the third most powerful of the Espada, created by Sosuke Aizen. She was constantly challenge for this title by Nnoitra Gilga, who couldn't tolerate being ruled over by a woman. She would often scold him for his needless slaughter of lesser Hollows, and told him that he only hated her becasue he was weaker.
Some time later, Neliel was ambushed by Nnoitra who had teamed up with Szayel Aporro Grantz in a sneak attack. They had taken her Fracción members, Pesche Guatiche and Bilstin Dondochakka, and forcibly removed their Hollow masks. He took her shock as an opening to attack form behind. Her mask was damaged and she was knocked unconscious. Nnoitra tossed her body off the edged of Las Noches, along with her Fracción. He planned to surpass her strength by the time she could return and finally defeat her in a battle. The wound to her mask had caused her reiatsu had leaked from her body and changed into a child.
Dondochakka and Pesche woke to find their leader had changed into a child and had no memory of her life before. To protect her, they took her into hiding deep in the deserts of Hueco Mundo and pretended to be her older brothers. They knew how much she hated fighting and would be spared from that life the way she is now.
Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck (ネリエル・トゥ・オーデルシュヴァンク, Nerieru Tu Ōderushuwanku) is a supporting character from the BLEACH series, created by Tite Kubo. It began serialization in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump in August 2001.
She first appeared in her child form in BLEACH Volume 28, CH. 245 "The Way Without Enemies". and her adult form is later revealed in BLEACH Volume 33 CH. 290 "The Broken Mask".
After Neliel's adult form was revealed in Volume 33, she was illustrated on the cover of BLEACH Volume 34. Neliel's full name is more commonly shortened to "Nel Tu".
" There was a time when we ceased to be Human and became beasts. And then in becoming Arrancar, we regained our capacity for reason. One who possesses reason should require a reason to fight. "
Neliel Tu Oderschvank - BLEACH Vol. 33 Ch. 294
Nel Tu's first appearance was that of a small child Hollow. Even her Hollow mask was a damaged, cartoonish skull. She has large incisors and a horizontal crimson-line that runs across her face, under her eyes. She also has a large scar between her eyes. Unlike any other Hollow that has been introduced in the story, her personality was very innocent. She was afraid of Ichigo, believing that Shinigami were evil. She has a childish style of speech and talks with a lisp. Eventually, she begins to bond with Ichigo after she forces him to play several games of tag and rides on his back as he heads for the Hueco Mundo castle of Las Noches.
Major Story Arc
Hueco Mundo Arc
Nel Tu had was running about the deserts of Hueco Mundo playing when she met Ichigo Kurosaki and his friends. She led them to Las Noches, since they were there to save their friend Orihime Inoue. The group had to separate as they got deeper inside, and Nel tagged along with Ichigo. She watched as Ichigo fought with Dordonii Alessandro Del Socacchio, and saved him using her Double Cero. Dordonii turned his wrath on Nel, but Ichigo defeated him using Hollowfication. On Ichigo's request, she healed Dordonii's wounds with her healing saliva.
After Ulquiorra Cifer defeated Ichigo, Nel was crying over Ichigo's dead body when Grimmjow arrived with Orihime to heal Ichigo. Nel blamed herself, becasue he had spent so much of the fight protecting her. As Grimmjow and Ichigo proceeded to fight, Nel scolded Orihime for being scared of Ichigo's Hollowfied form instead of cheering for him. Almost immediately after Ichigo's victory, they were attacked by Nnoitra Jiruga and his Fraccion, Tesla Lindocruz. Nnoitra revleaed her identiy of being the former 3rd ranked Espada, but she had no memories of it.
Just as Ichigo was about to be slain by Nnoitra, Nel suddenly returned to her humanoid form to rescue him.Her speed was still far too great, and Nnoitra forgot about her Double Cero. Nel was poised to with this fight with ease after she released her zanpakutō, but she suddenly transformed back into a child before giving the final blow. Nnoitra kicked Nel about as he taunted her and forced her to watch as she brutalized Ichigo. They were rescued by the appearance of Kenpachi Zaraki, and Orihime healed her wounds. Orihime was then abducted by Coyote Stark.
The Thousand-Year Blood War Arc
Several months after Aizen was defeated by Ichigo. Nel, still in her child form, rushed to the Human World to find Ichigo because Hueco Mundo had been overrun by a powerful army of Quincy called Vandenreich.
Powers & Abilities
As a former high ranking member of the Espada, Nel has an immense Spiritual Pressure (reaitsu) and strength. With a single hand she can stop and opponents Cero attack with ease. Some of her strengths do vary depending on which form she is currently in. Her adult form being the obviously stronger one. Still, some of her adult abilities do remain in the child form and it also has a few unique ones, as well. As with most character in the BLEACH series, Nel also possesses extraordinary skill with her own zanpakuto.
Neliel's Child Form Techniques
- Healing Saliva: A trait that seems unique to her child form is a healing drool. With it, she can heal some injuries. She vomits it out by reaching into her throat and massaging her uvula.
- Sonido (響転/ソニード, Sonīdo): Nel can use a simplified version of the Hollow skill called Sonido, but she calls Super Acceleration (超加速, chōka soku). This allows for increased speed to avoid attacks. This is a technique she also has an adult, but at far less speed and skill.
- Cero Double (重奏虚閃/セロ・ドーブル, Sero Dōburu): The Double Cero is a technique that Nel retains from her adult form. She can swallow an enemies energy based attack, increases the power by adding some of her own, and firing it back at the attacker. The consequence of this attack is that she becomes exhausted right after using it.
Neliel's Adult Form Techniques
- Sonído: The Sinido that Nel can use is a speed technique that is similar to the Shimigami's Flash Step (瞬歩, shunpo). This allows the Hollow to move at extremely fast speeds that makes them seem to disappear form sight and flank enemies from behind. Nel's proficiency with this technique is such that she was able to carry Ichigo and appear to lose no speed.
- Cero Double: Using the Double Cero, she can swallow an enemies energy based attack, increases the power by adding some of her own, and firing it back at the attacker. Unlike her child form, this attack has no negative side effects and is even more powerful.
- Hierro (鋼皮/イエロ, Eero): The Hierro is a technique that is unique to the Espada. The user condenses their Reiyoku(Spirit Power) to cause their skin to become as hard as steel armor and can block an attack from a zanpakuto. It's a powerful skill that allows for hand-to-hand combat with an armed opponent. The limit of the Hierro is dependent on the users Reiyoku. Nel's is strong enough to where she could kick away Nnoitra's own zanpakuto with no injury to herself.
Weapons & Equipment
Neliel's zanpakutō is named Gamuza (羚騎士/ガミューサ, gamyuusa). It has a green sheath and the tsuba is in the form of two crescent moons. The blade is in the shape of a basic katana. Similar to the Shinigami's Bankai, the Espada and other Arrancar have what is called a Resurrección (帰刃 (レスレクシオン). They are released by a verbal command of the Arrancar. Neliel's command is Declare (謳え, utae) The extent of Gamuza's abilities have yet to be revealed. She has not used the Gamuza in an extended battle outside of releasing it to fight with Nnoitra. The released form of a Arrancar's zanpakuto reveals partially what their original Hollow form was before they were transformed into an Arrancar. Neliel's release transforms her into a centaur, and she has shoulder armor.
Neliel's release command is "Declare... Gamuza". Gamuza means "Chamois" in Spanish. The kanji means "Antelope Knight". The released form of Gamuza transforms into a long metal lance. With the release of her zanpakuto comes increases in all her natural abilities of Reiyoku, strength, and speed.
- Lanzador Verde (翠の射槍/ランサドール・ヴェルデ, Ransadōru Verude): The Lanzador Verde is an attack that can only be performed with her released Gamuza's spear form. As she throws the Gamuza, there is a spin that increases the spiritual energy and causes a greater piercing ability as it drills through whatever it hits. Even strong enough to break Nnoitra's zanpakuto.
Birthday: 24 April
Height: 176cm (5'9") (adult form)
Weight: 63kg (139lbs.) (adult form)
The BLEACH animated series is a direct adaptation of Tite Kubo's original manga. It's produced by Studio Pierrot and first began airing in October 5, 2004. Nel's first anime appearance was in BLEACH - Episode 145 "The Espada Gather! Aizen's Royal Assembly", which aired on October 24, 2007. Her adult form first anime appearance was in BLEACH - Episode 192 "Nel's Secret, A Busty Beauty Joins the Battle!?"., which aired on October 29, 2008.
Her character in the Japanese series is voiced by Tomoko Kaneda, and the U.S. dub produced by VIZ Media is done by Colleen O'Shaughnessey. Despite the drastic change in forms, she keeps the same voice actress. For the English dub of BLEACH, Nelliel's child form doesn't speak with a lisp. Though, she does occasionally call Ichigo "Itsygo".
In the original anime that aired in Japan of Tite Kubo's BLEACH series, alterations were added to Neliel's design. Her clothes, in her adult form, were slightly altered from the original manga version. Her top was extended to fully cover her breasts, and the size of her breasts were slightly reduced. The manga version reveals the lower portion of her breasts. A similar alteration was made in the same episode. When her 3rd rank Espada mark was revealed on her back, the manga version clearly showed her breast from the back. This was also removed in the anime scene.
In the anime, Nel's Gamuza zanpakuto is colored as having a white-crescent moon guard, but on the cover of Volume 34 it's painted as a dark brown.
Nel has her own character album that is part of the third season of the BLEACH Beat Collection published by Sony Music. In these collections, the voice actors of the character performs songs and skits. Songs that were included on the Session 5 edition that were performed by Tomoko Kaneda(Nel Tu) include "Kokoro Oasis" and "Every Fight!".
Being a relatively new character to the BLEACH series, Nel has not appeared in as many games as some of her fellow cast of characters. Her first game appearance was in the Sony PSP game BLEACH: Heat of the Soul 4(2007) in her child form only. Her adult form later debuted in BLEACH: Heat of the Soul 5(2008) on the PSP, and on BLEACH: Versus Crusade(2008) on the Nintendo Wii. Nel appears in both her child and adult forms. In BLEACH: Heat of the Soul 6(2009), all three of her forms appeared in game, this included her Ressurection form.
(For a full list of games that feature Neliel, see her profile on Giant Bomb. HERE)