Follow

Namor

Character » Namor appears in 4968 issues.

Namor the Sub-Mariner is the ruler of undersea Atlantis. The offspring of a sea captain and an Atlantean princess, he has been both a hero and a villain to the surface world. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest published characters with his origins in the Golden Age of comics.

Top speed

• 53 results
    Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sling Shot

What should be Namor's top speed?
    Post Edited:2007-07-23 04:49:08

Xmen_forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Xmen_forever

What do you meen?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sling Shot

How fast should his top speed be swimming flying running or otherwise.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ms. Invisible

For underwater, I reckon 120km/h.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sling Shot

Given his weight to power ratio I think his speed should be upgraded. Since I think the Ocean powers him he would be fastest in them. I say near 500 m/hr. in the air about 300m/hr

so he can at least fly to catch a jet if need be.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Satyrquaze

Swimming: The international unit of measure for sea-going vessels/creatures is the nautical mile, not miles per hour or kilometers per hour. That said, I believe Namor was clocked swimming at 3,000kts in Namor #1, which is right around where I'd place him. One Nautical mile is equal to 1.852 kilometers or 1.1508 miles.

Flying: I put Namor at or near the speed of sound. (1225 kilometers per hour at sea level)

Running: Namor never really struck me as a particularly fast runner, I think he'd maybe max out at 100kph.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sling Shot

Hex yeah Satyr! Namor is fast baby. Faaaaaast.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Valkaad

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, because I am a huge namor fan, but his air speed is only about 40mph and his swimming speed is 60mph. 60mph in the water, especially underwater, is hauling serious ass!

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sling Shot

Yeah, I know that is the antiquated listings. But Namor has exhibited ability above and beyond those listings on numerous occasion and by our own discretion we have averaged his more displayed top speeds.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"Yeah, I know that is the antiquated listings. But Namor has exhibited ability above and beyond those listings on numerous occasion and by our own discretion we have averaged his more displayed top speeds."

I haven't seen those, but 3000kts is a little outrageous that's 3456 mph.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sling Shot

Satyr read it in Namor#1.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Valkaad

Yeah, but that is one writers take on him. I am a Namor fan like you, but don't you think that's a little D.C. for him to swim over 3000mph?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sling Shot

Namor is a top tier character. Hulk has lifted millions of tons, Silver surfer has beat light in a race, Gladiator beats up asteroid belts. I hear you about the D.C. but Namor needs his propers, brotha don't you agree.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"Namor is a top tier character. Hulk has lifted millions of tons, Silver surfer has beat light in a race, Gladiator beats up asteroid belts. I hear you about the D.C. but Namor needs his propers, brotha don't you agree."

Yeah I would give him Class 100 strength, Near Invulnerability, Ability to talk with and control Sea Creatures. I think 40mph is too slow for his flight, but 3000mph underwater is a little much. The fastest fish is the sailfish 68mph for short bursts, I think he should be faster than that, but not 50 times faster.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sling Shot

How much faster? And remember he isn't combatting mundane aquatic creatures, but super humans who can can produce the effects of natural disasters and military war machines.

He is Namor, King of all Atlantis and possible usurper of the surface world.How fast are Doom's or Iron Man's boot jets and retro rockets or Thor with Mjlonr or Storm on a hurricane gale? You get the gist

Also is your avatar Sebastian Shaw? If so fresh.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the creator

Water transmits force directly and equally to the force applied to it i.e. You cannot compress it (that's why it's used in hydraulic systems). Imagine trying to push through it (even if you were streamlined) at over 4 times the speed of sound. It's difficult enough to get a plane moving at this speed with tens of thousands of pounds of thrust through only air. So for Namor to pull this off through water would be a feat beyond his strength (even at 100 tonnes). Movement at 3000mph in water would not do the swimmer much good either as at this speed the water would be literally pulling at every pore on the body moving through it and stripping it apart. That's when they use a high pressure water stream to cut through stone and even steel.

It would be more realistic to say that with Namors vast strength compared to the size of his form and his body's aquatic adaptions, he could reach speeds of approx 200 knots (nautical miles/hour).

His running speed I would say may be as high as 60 - 80 mph due to the power of his legs.

Finally, his flight was never meant to be that fast - so i would put him around 200 - 250 mph (and that's being generous).

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Valkaad says:

"Yeah, but that is one writers take on him. I am a Namor fan like you, but don't you think that's a little D.C. for him to swim over 3000mph?"

How is that DC? It's not like Aquaman can swim at 3000mph. Those with top level super speed might, but that would be true at Marvel.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Valkaad

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Valkaad says:
    "Yeah, but that is one writers take on him. I am a Namor fan like you, but don't you think that's a little D.C. for him to swim over 3000mph?"
    How is that DC? It's not like Aquaman can swim at 3000mph. Those with top level super speed might, but that would be true at Marvel."

I think if you took a poll general consensus is that DC has always been the Overpowered comics group. Just Wonderwoman and superman at their peak levels could beat the x-men, avengers, and ff combined.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Valkaad says:

"Cosmic Sentinel says:
    "Valkaad says:
    How is that DC? It's not like Aquaman can swim at 3000mph. Those with top level super speed might, but that would be true at Marvel."
    I think if you took a poll general consensus is that DC has always been the Overpowered comics group. Just Wonderwoman and superman at their peak levels could beat the x-men, avengers, and ff combined."

So could the Sentry.

The fundamental flaw in any true democracy is it allows any idiot to give their opinion, so I don't base my opinions on polls.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Satyrquaze

Valkaad says:

"Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, because I am a huge namor fan, but his air speed is only about 40mph and his swimming speed is 60mph. 60mph in the water, especially underwater, is hauling serious ass!"

I just want to point out that with Atlantis in the North Atlantic, and Lemuria deep within the Pacific it doesn't make sense for Namor to be limited to 40mph, it would take upwards of a year to travel there one way(!) Where would he find the time to invade the surface world if his wife was always wanting time in her homeland?

Given especially that we almost never see him onboard ships or other sea-going vessels of Atlantian design.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Forever

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Valkaad says:
    "Cosmic Sentinel says:
    "Valkaad says:
    I think if you took a poll general consensus is that DC has always been the Overpowered comics group. Just Wonderwoman and superman at their peak levels could beat the x-men, avengers, and ff combined."
    So could the Sentry. The fundamental flaw in any true democracy is it allows any idiot to give their opinion, so I don't base my opinions on polls."

You should have said so could Thor or Surfer, because Sentry's an obvious Superman rip off who was created only recently.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

True. Sentry was the first one to my head. I won't say that the Superman rip off in the supposedly underpowered universe is more powerful than Superman because I'm giving up the universal power level arguements for Lent.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sling Shot

Either way Namor needs to be relatively fast.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Valkaad

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Valkaad says:
    "Cosmic Sentinel says:
    "Valkaad says:
    So could the Sentry. The fundamental flaw in any true democracy is it allows any idiot to give their opinion, so I don't base my opinions on polls."

Of course you can point out an exception to a rule, Living Tribunal could do the same thing.IN general Marvel has just recently stepped into the DC realm of impossibility and day to day heroes being UBER powerfule. As for my statement about polls I meant if you took a sample of people with comic book knowledge, they would agree that as a whole or until recently DC has been way more powerful in terms of characters than marvel. If you want to argue that then maybe you are new to comic collecting and don't realize that you are wrong, or maybe YOU are an idiot.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sling Shot

That is Sebastian Shaw. Bravo Valkaad.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"That is Sebastian Shaw. Bravo Valkaad."

You like?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sling Shot

Heck Yeah, SS is the dude.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"Heck Yeah, SS is the dude."

YEah I have always thought he was a BMF! You are a true namor fan, what would you have his powers be?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sling Shot

Namors?

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Valkaad

Yeah.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Valkaad

Yeah.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sling Shot

I wrote this in depth paragraph and my computer tripped. But I essentially said he would be the avatar of the ocean giving him an aquatic awareness, like the ocean is his spider's web, he would have equal resistance to mystical attack as he does physical, He's class 100+ submerged, his obscure talent for mimicking the abilities of sea life would be explained as proximity simbiotic ability where the sea creature lends it's esseence to him temporarily through an ethereal exchange.He has influence over the flow of the water like a crude hydrokinesis( maybe he can summon it and it will break it's normal boundaries in an attempt to reach him, He can fly as fast as a fighter jet, and even faster submerged due to the hydrokinesis.

I don't know these powers might better express the depth of his connection/mutation with the ocean and as a character of three elements water, earth, air.

Either way he is Imperius Rex.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"I wrote this in depth paragraph and my computer tripped. But I essentially said he would be the avatar of the ocean giving him an aquatic awareness, like the ocean is his spider's web, he would have equal resistance to mystical attack as he does physical, He's class 100+ submerged, his obscure talent for mimicking the abilities of sea life would be explained as proximity simbiotic ability where the sea creature lends it's esseence to him temporarily through an ethereal exchange.He has influence over the flow of the water like a crude hydrokinesis( maybe he can summon it and it will break it's normal boundaries in an attempt to reach him, He can fly as fast as a fighter jet, and even faster submerged due to the hydrokinesis. I don't know these powers might better express the depth of his connection/mutation with the ocean and as a character of three elements water, earth, air. Either way he is Imperius Rex."

I like that! I can agree with all of that. If you say that he controls the water and uses it to increase his speed almost as though he is partly swimming and partly using the water to transport him I can see him moving extremely fast!

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sling Shot

Yeah, thanks. I like his powers to be connected to the Ocean lie Hulk is to gamma and Capt. Britain is to ...Britain.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Forever

That would be fantastic Sling Shot. Namor doesn't get the play he deserves but with those powers he could really step into the limelight. Everything would have to be based near the oceans to take advantage of those powers, but when landlocked, he could show that he is still the powerhouse he's always been.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sling Shot

Heck yeah.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Valkaad

I would like to see the Atlanteans decide that the Surface world has done enough damage to the oceans and that they will no longer have access to it. I have said this before, but I see the atlanteans as having knowledge of everything that goes on in the sea, be it from sensors set up everywhere, communications with the sea life, or both. I see them with machines that can create Tsunami's, Gigantic whirlpools, etc. Every ship that tries to cross any ocean, gets destroyed, either by the aforemention machines, or by Gigantic Squids, or by a batallion of superhumanly strong atlantean soldiers! Shipping/Fishing is no longer an option for the surface world unless they stop the atlanteans! Namor becomes not only the King of Atlantis, but The King of all the oceans!

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sling Shot

Thats whats up Valkaad. Try to out jerk Namor Iron Man? yeah right.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Forever

Yeah that would be a fantastic idea for a storyline. They've done similar before but never anything on that level, I think. I would love to see Namor start that out in launching himself as a powerhouse.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sling Shot

Yeah that dude would try to get all the tight gear. Mjolnr, Ultimate Nullifier, Lockjaw, Rick Jones card collection...and some other rare artifacts.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"Yeah, I know that is the antiquated listings. But Namor has exhibited ability above and beyond those listings on numerous occasion and by our own discretion we have averaged his more displayed top speeds."

Be prepared to be pissed! The New marvel universe came out today and they still list namor at 60mph underwater. I think he should be faster than that!

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sling Shot

I think these newer marvel universe's are infereior to their late 80's early 90's predecesseors. But I also believe theere was a tighter reign on the writing then.

You know what though Namor would not allow for anyone to go faster than him in his home court. I bet Stingray swims faster. I wonder how fast Aquaman is going over there in DC.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Forever

That's interesting because I think Marrina could swim 800 knots per hour.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

"I think these newer marvel universe's are infereior to their late 80's early 90's predecesseors. But I also believe theere was a tighter reign on the writing then. You know what though Namor would not allow for anyone to go faster than him in his home court. I bet Stingray swims faster. I wonder how fast Aquaman is going over there in DC."

The new marvel univereses are a joke, I don't even buy them. For you to break down and catalog the wide range of powers, strengths, speeds in the marvel universe and base it on a range from 1-7 is absolutely ridiculous! Buckshot posted the Benchmarks one time and one of the strength ranges was something like 800lbs to 25tons. I think maybe marvel has gotten lazy and doesn't want to put the effort into cataloging actual strengths, speeds etc. beause for you to put a guy who can lift 800lbs and a guy who can lift 25tons in the same level is just plain dumb!

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Satyrquaze

I re-read the issue I mentioned earler... it was Sub-Mariner #2 not Namor #1 and it was 300kts (and increasing), not 3,000kts.

So that's nearly 600mph which isn't far under the speed of sound at sea level... So I still place Namor flying at mach 1 or so.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Valkaad

Satyrquaze says:

"I re-read the issue I mentioned earler... it was Sub-Mariner #2 not Namor #1 and it was 300kts (and increasing), not 3,000kts. So that's nearly 600mph which isn't far under the speed of sound at sea level... So I still place Namor flying at mach 1 or so. "

Did you see where marvel still has him swimming at 60mph?

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Valkaad

Sling Shot says:

" I wonder how fast Aquaman is going over there in DC."

Knowing DC Aquaman probably swims at light speed, dont all DC characters, especially JLA characters have to move at light speed.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Forever

Valkaad says:

"Sling Shot says:
    Knowing DC Aquaman probably swims at light speed, dont all DC characters, especially JLA characters have to move at light speed."

lol

It's just a different approach then Marvel's.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Valkaad

Forever says:

"Valkaad says:
    "Sling Shot says:
    Knowing DC Aquaman probably swims at light speed, dont all DC characters, especially JLA characters have to move at light speed."
    lol It's just a different approach then Marvel's."

lol yead, I had to take a little shot at DC.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Forever

Valkaad says:

"lol yead, I had to take a little shot at DC. "

I'm with you. Every once in a while you just have to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.