inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

This issue of NAILBITER takes a look into the early years of Edward Charles Warren and the first time he saw a dead body. This book plays this weird game of trying to make Warren a sympathetic character, over and over again. It's like the book is trying desperately to win over the reader. However, in the back of the reader's mind, they all know Warren is going to do something awful in the future. However, that's what really works with this issue is that it feels like it's toying with the reader and stringing them alone.

There's a fantastic shock moment here involving Agent Barker and Crane. Without getting into spoiler territory not only do we get inside Barker's head, but we also get a very surreal moment that at first glance changes the book entirely. It is also pretty dang creepy. Writer Joshua Williamson does a solid job at keeping the reader on their toes.

The next place this issue is going though is with the townspeople coming together to end all these serial killers popping up in their town. Here's the awesome thing about that scene. It looks like they're going down the road to become what they hate. They don't do any killing here, but at any point in time, it seems they can go down that road. Again, what makes people in this town like that?

There's two artists on this book, but it's pretty seamless, and Adam Guzowski's colors really bring it all together. Adam Markiewicz handles the art during the scenes with the priest and Mike Henderson covers the rest. You wouldn't know it by just reading that there are two artists on here, which is great to immerse the reader within the story. Markiewicz and Henderson are wonderfully solid artists and are the real drive behind this story. In addition, Guzowski handles the colors in the flashback sequences extremely well.

The Bad

Issue #11 ends with Warren saying he's going to tell Finch everything about the town. We're led to believe that what he means is we're going to learn Buckaroo's secrets. However, issue #12 turns into a story about Warren's life. Sure, getting to know more about him is cool, but what the readers are led to believe is that more is going to be unraveled about the town, which they don't get.

The Verdict

Another very solid issue of NAILBITER. Issue to issue, this is a good book, but is works even better in trade. The second issue of this story gives the reader better insight into some of its characters while progressing the story. NAILBITER is always giving the reader more. It's got a great story, some solid shocks and a dynamic mixture of horror and mystery. Check this book out.

SlimJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good issue overall, but I was annoyed by the writers drawing Warren's reveal of the town's secrets out like they did.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jdp180

Man I actually thought Agent Barker had stabbed Sheriff Crane for real.

Avatar image for saul_on_the_road_to_damascus
    Saul_on_the_road_to_damascus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone share what letters were printed in the back of this issue. It'll be about two weeks before I pick my copy up and I want to know if mine was printed. Did they print the reponces to the survey they put in issue 10?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.