Why is Mr Terrific gay in Arrow?

• 58 results
#1 Posted by bigcimmerian (10325 posts) - - Show Bio

- Why not create unique and new superhero and make him gay, why they have to drastically change characters just to satisfy LGBT loby?

#2 Edited by TheSpoiler (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't people complained in the past when Arrow made new characters?

#3 Posted by Sprior93 (12848 posts) - - Show Bio

Characters are better when they're gay.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
#4 Posted by deactivated-57af58bda2d61 (5409 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: Cept when you don't like them? amirite ?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#5 Posted by amazing_webhead (9183 posts) - - Show Bio

...why not?

#6 Edited by gokuss4z (3225 posts) - - Show Bio

Because correctness.

#7 Posted by Sprior93 (12848 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
#8 Posted by deactivated-57af58bda2d61 (5409 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Redatom1234 (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause reasons. I personally am not feeling him, not cause he's gay, but cause his character is just basically a sidekick for felicity

#10 Posted by ianrogers (189 posts) - - Show Bio

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

#11 Posted by Guru_Crack (10044 posts) - - Show Bio

No idea why. Why is he so young also?

#12 Posted by Outside_85 (18075 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

So lets make Oliver gay then.

#13 Posted by The Stegman (38533 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to understand that movies and tv series can take liberties with these characters, they aren't 100% faithful adaptations. I see Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Gotham, etc as Elseworld stories. There are characters we know, but slightly different in some regards.

So, short answer, "Why not?"

#14 Posted by Mrnoital (6053 posts) - - Show Bio

to avoid another love triangle, while bringing in a recognizable character who is known as the smartest man on earth(in comics), the perfect person to bring Ray Palmer back

#15 Posted by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

For the same reason they turn whites into black and mexicans into white.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

#16 Posted by soldierofel (2573 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Correct answer? TV executives thing audience's are too dumb to believe that a man and woman can have a platonic answer.

Other answer? Political correctness.

My opinion? I don't know. I know Terrific's wife was important but if they're not going to introduce him as a hero then it won't matter. Otherwise it'll be like Alan Scott in earth two.

#17 Posted by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio
@sprior93 said:

I
I
Freaking
Freaking
Agree
Agree
Mate
Mate

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

#18 Posted by Heatforce (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Correct answer? TV executives thing audience's are too dumb to believe that a man and woman can have a platonic answer.

Other answer? Political correctness.

My opinion? I don't know. I know Terrific's wife was important but if they're not going to introduce him as a hero then it won't matter. Otherwise it'll be like Alan Scott in earth two.

I think the bold but let's not forget the love-triangle that Felicity was part of last season. Fans didn't like it so perhaps the execs took note and were like "iight make him gay so it's obvious he isn't competing with Oliver".

#19 Posted by never give up (24999 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's attracted to men.

#20 Posted by iknowwhoyouare (1260 posts) - - Show Bio

It's apparently cool to turn all straight comic men gay these days

#21 Posted by Nite_Nite (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's black. It's well known media does there best to portray blacks and the gay community hand in hand.

#22 Posted by AdmiralLogic (4131 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by RetconCrisis (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the minority have to be portrayed in all forms of media, apparently. Me being a minority myself, it's not really justified.

#24 Posted by ms-lola (10556 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not? Who cares? Does it matter? Where is my cat? Do I have a cat?

#25 Posted by never give up (24999 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms-lola said:

Why not? Who cares? Does it matter? Where is my cat? Do I have a cat?

#26 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

Different universe, different rules.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
#27 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (8157 posts) - - Show Bio

Political correctness.

#28 Posted by phantomjolt (727 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex: Death by Amazonian snu snu would be an honor and a privilege.

#30 Posted by NateDwag (754 posts) - - Show Bio

BECAUSE DIVERSITY

#31 Posted by jashro44 (43449 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it doesn't carry over to the comics I don't care.

#32 Posted by SC (17672 posts) - - Show Bio

He's always been gay, guys called Mr Terrific, only superhero more gay than him, is Mr Fantastic, and well… Mr Fabulous, but that too gay to actually be gay. I joke of course, he's not actually gay, I am just making bad humor around the stereotypes of homosexuality and people being flamboyant and proud, Mr Terrific is not gay in the comics, but thats the thing, he also isn't gay in Arrow either. Nothing gay about two men having sex with each other, or men having sex with less men than two, or more men than two. Sorry I am not sure why I said two, its an arbitrary number, i am not trying to imply that sex by yourself, or with more than two people is not normal. Just trying to explain that its not gay. Thats a bad joke too.

The real reason is to annoy people so they participate in online forums more. The online forum market bubble is bursting, better get those inquisitive lads on the internet typing away questions to boost online forum interactions. Only way to do that is turn everyone gay and black and black to gay and man cross woman Tekken gay lesbian dinosaur robot.

#33 Posted by Pokeysteve (11679 posts) - - Show Bio

The unnecessary race changes are more annoying than sexual orientation changes. I doubt PG will be showing up in the CW verse so Mr T is good to go love on some dudes.

#34 Posted by never give up (24999 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for wolverineistoaa
#35 Posted by WolverineIsTOAA (1730 posts) - - Show Bio

Human Torch

#36 Posted by nickzambuto (29274 posts) - - Show Bio

Felicity needed to have a black gay BFF.

#37 Posted by SpareHeadOne (2481 posts) - - Show Bio

Felicity.....

Sigh.....

#38 Posted by Sovereign91001 (7455 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to understand that movies and tv series can take liberties with these characters, they aren't 100% faithful adaptations. I see Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Gotham, etc as Elseworld stories. There are characters we know, but slightly different in some regards.

So, short answer, "Why not?"

Pretty much this. Add the fact that this Holt is a very different character from the Olympic level athlete, polymath that his comic counterpart was and they might as well be two separate characters (iirc Arrow EP said that there were other differences as well). So I really don't get the point of complaining about it.

#39 Posted by bigcimmerian (10325 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

He's always been gay, guys called Mr Terrific, only superhero more gay than him, is Mr Fantastic, and well… Mr Fabulous, but that too gay to actually be gay. I joke of course, he's not actually gay, I am just making bad humor around the stereotypes of homosexuality and people being flamboyant and proud, Mr Terrific is not gay in the comics, but thats the thing, he also isn't gay in Arrow either. Nothing gay about two men having sex with each other, or men having sex with less men than two, or more men than two. Sorry I am not sure why I said two, its an arbitrary number, i am not trying to imply that sex by yourself, or with more than two people is not normal. Just trying to explain that its not gay. Thats a bad joke too.

The real reason is to annoy people so they participate in online forums more. The online forum market bubble is bursting, better get those inquisitive lads on the internet typing away questions to boost online forum interactions. Only way to do that is turn everyone gay and black and black to gay and man cross woman Tekken gay lesbian dinosaur robot.

Sure, it makes sense xD

#40 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Meh, not your best work.

5.5/10

#41 Posted by Deathstroke52 (6996 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they want diversity.

#42 Posted by Dextersinister (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

He takes down bad men with his spheres.

#43 Edited by radarpoet (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh... you want desperately to make this Cannon in your head?... Ok, Mr.Terrific originally Terry Sloane introduced 1942, white, billionaire, superhero YAWN... Cuz y'know 1942, barely any women, people of colour, poor people, and especially no LGBTQ. So the mantle is passed on in 1997 to Michael Holt, BOOM, the progressive awesome sauce, he's a black man bringing the number of black superheroes in DC up to like 30 (if you count one offs and alt universes) with only 7ish long-term titles. He's a genius and a martial arts expert and get's an origin story that isn't a complete stereo-type of Black America. Yes his wife and unborn child died in an accident, but his driving force is mostly the brutal death of his cognitively-disabled brother. So he had a wife , prior to 1997, well America was not an LGBTQ friendly space in 1997 (or today, thus this ridiculous question) so maybe Michael Holt get's married young under pressure of being in the closet, loves his wife, she unfortunately dies, and then Same Sex marriage FINALLY becomes legal in the US allowing for him to step out of the closet. And Michael Holt AKA Mr.Terrific continues his canon legacy of being a progressive character in the otherwise still very cis-gender, straight, white male DC Universe. You call it "Political Correctness" but I call it progress meaning that our world of comic -loving friends will expand, strengthening it's longevity, and providing heroes to those who may become heroes in their own right in the real world.

#44 Posted by RyDub (192 posts) - - Show Bio

the original poster proves writers cant win. Literally I was just reading the comments of the Flash episode last night and some one is in there whining about the fact that they brought to be the other half of firestorm instead of bringing in one of the comic cannon ones. While i know its not the same thing it still holds a bit of value on one show they bring in an original Identity for a character they get blasted for it, in another show in that same universe they alter the characters sexual orientation and people complain. Who cares? Are you really that mad that he is having intercourse with men instead of women? Who cares what the sexual orientation of the character is. Focus on the story not the sexual orientation so far I like the character he is kind of like early Felicity which she hasn't been the same since like mid season 2

#45 Edited by SupBatz (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

He also isn't an employee of Felicity/Ray Palmer/Oliver Queen in comics. Same way that Killer Frost didn't work with the Flash, Dinah Lance wasn't a lawyer with a formerly deceased sister, Barry Allen didn't live with Iris West as a child, Deathstroke didn't spend any time on the island as Oliver's buddy, Merlyn did have a son, daughter, or much of a backstory at all, and Nyssa was not a lesbian.

The showrunners have admitted on several occasional that they create concepts for characters first, and then try to find a comic book character who is similar to the concept they're going for. Usually, this results in characters not bearing much resemblance to their comic book counterparts - at least not at first. Generally, characters grow to resemble their comic book counterparts over time in these CW shows. Never exactly, but they tend to head in that direction.

Mister Terrific is gay. Should that attract more attention/anger than his being an employee of Felicity's? Or any of the other changes made to other characters?

So far, as a character, we've seen Michael Curtis. He's not overly flamboyant about his sexuality - which, by the way, would not be a problem, but would likely attract a lot more flack. He's even had a fun line or two, and seems to be an all-around intelligent guy. I'm willing to see where they go with the character. Maybe I'll end up not liking him much (like I did Ray Palmer). But if that is the case, it definitely won't be just because "he wasn't supposed to be gay".

#46 Posted by Dextersinister (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

@rydub:

Are you really that mad that he is having intercourse with men instead of women? Who cares what the sexual orientation of the character is.

and yet they changed his sexual orientation because people do care about these things.

There could be a guy or girl out there who really likes this character and they do not connect with him as much if he isn't straight, sure I know some people may connect more if where gay but that's a stranger to them, they shouldn't be obligated to care.

You don't really get to tell people what they can and cannot like, as long as they are civil they have done nothing wrong and can criticise whatever changes or lack of.

#47 Posted by Cloakx14 (9137 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by just_banter (11435 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does it matter? You PC bro? Need me to check your privilege brah?

seriously though, it's a little weird, the execs are probably wanting to stress nothing will happen between him and Felicity

#49 Posted by Ugivemethelulz (1706 posts) - - Show Bio

because people love to shove their moral/political beliefs in others faces.

#50 Posted by birdman400 (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it really a big deal tho? Is he flamboyant ? no Does he constantly pull the gay card ? no , you can barely tell her is a gay man , he literally said it ONCE , I mean is he still smart? yes , I mean people weren't tripping than John Diggle is another version Guardian , whats the problem with Curtis Holt , as a gay man ? I doubt he ever becomes Mr.T

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.