Follow

Mr. Terrific

Character » Mr. Terrific appears in 925 issues.

Michael Holt aka Mr. Terrific is the 3rd smartest man alive. Mr. Terrific embodies his Golden Age predecessor's slogan of "Fair Play", and is currently the leader of his own team, the Terrifics.

The Science of Mister Terrific #4

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

It has been a while since I have done a science breakdown of a particular issue, and in this case I am more than a month behind as I took a long break from here over the holidays.  I am working through the issues I missed chronologically though, so while Mister Terrific #5 is already out I will have a look at issue #4.  There was not a lot of science here, but that may have been a good thing after the last issue (as usual there will be a lot of spoilers here.) 

No Caption Provided

The Universal Translator

Those following my various projects here on this site know that I am slowly working my way through all the Mystery in Space issues from the 1950s and 1960s.  In these issues one of the most common plot devices is an invasion by aliens.  In order to communicate with aliens some form of universal translator usually shows up, and in a nod to how a universal translator would actually work is usually based on telepathy.  In the case of this issue there is a bit of a disconnect.  The main aliens (who are the antagonists) can speak English which Michael Holt can understand, but then he cannot communicate with the other aliens he comes into contact with.  He even goes so far as to quote the famous line from “The Day the Earth Stood Still” – Klaatu Barada Nikto.  Still, the bad aliens might know English from some other way, and the fact that the others cannot communicate with him except through gestures is pretty well handled.  

Verdict: Good Science 

No Caption Provided

Quantum Optics

So in order to break the force field near the end he modifies the electronics of his mask (using an alien quill as a needle) to modify the infinite fractal mechanics of the device to create a nullifying field and … voila! no more force field.  And then he … hold on a second, that is all just a bunch of scientific gobbledeegook.  There is indeed such a thing as quantum optics (dealing with how quantum mechanics interacts with light and the subsequent interaction with matter) and fractals do exist of course but this is complete soft science for the necessary plot device of “Michael breaks out of space jail.”  I liked how it was handled by the science was just a bunch of words added together to sound intelligent, when in fact it really meant pretty much nothing. 

Verdict: Bad Science

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ReVamp

Everyone loves Bad Science. Quantum Optics. Lol.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: Actually I wouldnt write these if I didn't  not like bad science
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz said:

@ReVamp: Actually I wouldnt write these if I didn't not like bad science

Purposeful double negative?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: Isnt that a triple negative?  Anyway I dont like bad science
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz said:

@ReVamp: Isnt that a triple negative? Anyway I dont like bad science

Lol, yeah it is. I like bad science. Not all writers can be expected to know all that much about science and whatnot.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: Plus it gives science geeks like my something to do.  
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By daredevil21134

interesting

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.