Follow

Mr. Miracle

Character » Mr. Miracle appears in 922 issues.

The son of Highfather, Scott Free was traded as an infant for Darkseid's child, Orion, to end the war between the New Gods of Apokolips and New Genesis. Scott later fled to Earth where he took on the mantle of Mister Miracle, and is considered the greatest escape artist in the universe. He is the husband of former Female Fury, Big Barda.

The Case for Female Escape Artists

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

Miss Miracle showed up briefly in a Superman/Batman issue in a universe where all the genders were reversed.   All other things being equal (intelligence, access to technology, fighting ability) I think Miss Miracle would be better than Mister Miracle at escaping and for one reason, flexibility.   Escape artistry is not based solely on flexibility, there is a requirement for a high pain tolerance (men are said to have a higher level of pain tolerance), ingenuity and creativity, but in many aspects of escape artistry flexibility is a major factor.   Keep in mind that the term escape artist is used as a catch-all for different types of escaping.   For instance Frank Morris and the Anglin brothers (who took part in the 1962 Alacatraz escape) could be said to be escape artists, whereas Harry Houdini can similarly be labelled as one.   Though the methods are different in both cases, flexibility is important, whether it be to squeeze through a ventilation shaft or escape from a straight jacket.  

I think we can all agree that women are generally more flexible.   There are of course some amazing flexible men, but the determining factor here is that a man doing stuff requiring flexibility has to trade off his flexibility against muscle gain, whereas with women flexibility and muscles do not necessarily contradict one another as much.   This is how you can have Olympic level athletes in sports such as gymnastics where the men have abilities based on power (for instance the ability to do an iron cross) whereas women in the same sport have abilities based more on flexibility (for instance the entire sport of rhythmic gymnastics which men don’t do).  

So men may have a higher pain tolerance (though women have a pretty high pain tolerance at times, for example giving birth), but they are no more intelligent and somewhat less flexible.   All this considered I think that Miss Miracle would probably be more effective at escaping than Mister Miracle.  

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

I would think that strength and weight as in ability to apply it would be something important with escaping bonds/restraints? Though as you point out, their are various arena's of escapism. Miss Miracle is the name of my bathroom floor cleaner though 0_0

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

It's a moot point, since either could/can escape from anything.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " It's a moot point, since either could/can escape from anything. "

None of them can escape Bendis cold, sweaty, damp, vulture like, disease ridden talons. None of them! *grin* 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @SC said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " It's a moot point, since either could/can escape from anything. "

None of them can escape Bendis cold, sweaty, damp, vulture like, disease ridden talons. None of them! *grin* 
    "
    Which is why we thank whatever deity/cosmic energy/scientific concept that we worship everyday that Bendis doesn't work for DC.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  Praise be to Galactus/Darkseid! =D
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  lol. I've only heard stories, though, if Brother Voodoo is any inclination then I'm most thankful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.