Follow

Mr. Freeze

Character » Mr. Freeze appears in 1128 issues.

After his wife became terminally ill, Dr. Victor Fries devoted his life to saving her and used cryogenics to freeze her to get time to find a cure. After being attacked by his boss Ferris Boyle and exposed to some of his chemicals, Fries could only survive in sub-zero temperatures and built a special suit to keep himself alive, becoming Mr Freeze.

Was there more than one?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

So I'm reading the second Robin miniseries and right after Joker breaks out of Arkham he goes to his hideout and finds that his thugs are now working for Mister Freeze.  This upsets Joker so he kills Mister Freeze.  Was this not Victor Fries?  I don't remember ever hearing anything about him dieing.  So who was it?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shadowdoggy

well, he didn't necessarily die in that panel 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By danhimself
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    " well, he didn't necessarily die in that panel  "
    the one gang member says "you iced him Joker"  and he looks pretty dead to me....plus the Joker doesn't know who he is?  how doesn't he know who Mr. Freeze is?
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @danhimself:
    yeah, but "iced" could just be about him getting his butt kicked 
    lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for hamletofdenmark
    HamletofDenmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here it is, Mr. Freeze (originally called Mr. Zero in the 60s then changed to Mr. Freeze in the 1966 Batman TV Show, weird right?) he was supposed to be killed off in this issue. However when Paul Dini re-tooled Mr. Freeze in the Batman TAS and he became a very popular character so the comics wanted to re-introduce him. So they actually re-introduce Mr. Freeze in Knightquest (after Jean-Paul takes over as Batman) and it is explained that his suit somehow saved his body and hence the Freeze we grew up with returns to comics. Hope this helps!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here it is, Mr. Freeze (originally called Mr. Zero in the 60s then changed to Mr. Freeze in the 1966 Batman TV Show, weird right?) he was supposed to be killed off in this issue. However when Paul Dini re-tooled Mr. Freeze in the Batman TAS and he became a very popular character so the comics wanted to re-introduce him. So they actually re-introduce Mr. Freeze in Knightquest (after Jean-Paul takes over as Batman) and it is explained that his suit somehow saved his body and hence the Freeze we grew up with returns to comics. Hope this helps!!

wow 3 years later and I finally get an answer...THANKS!!

do they explain why Joker didn't know who he was?

Avatar image for hamletofdenmark
    HamletofDenmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problem, I actually joined comic vine like 5 mins ago after i saw this post and really wanted to clear things up. To answer your second question, Mr. Freeze was a pure gimmick character even until this point so he wasn't really a big bad yet. It is really awesome that over our lifetime three very popular batman characters were fleshed out (freeze, bane, and hush)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problem, I actually joined comic vine like 5 mins ago after i saw this post and really wanted to clear things up. To answer your second question, Mr. Freeze was a pure gimmick character even until this point so he wasn't really a big bad yet. It is really awesome that over our lifetime three very popular batman characters were fleshed out (freeze, bane, and hush)

Thanks and welcome to the Vine!!

see I didn't start reading comics until the late 80's/early 90's so for me Mister Freeze was always a big villain...I never knew him as anything but

it's funny because I actually remember having a figure of Mister Freeze in that armor/off topic

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.