Follow

Mr. Fantastic

Character » Mr. Fantastic appears in 6884 issues.

Reed Richards, also known as Mr. Fantastic, is the leader of the Fantastic Four. He can stretch his body to great distances due to his exposure to cosmic rays while in space. He is also considered to be one of the smartest men alive, using his brain to explore alternate dimensions and save the world alongside his family from science-based threats.

mr. fantastic is a bad husband

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

everybodys allways giving hank pym crap about bein a bad husband but what about reed
    everybodys allways giving hank pym crap about bein a bad husband but what about reed
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

hes treated her like a second class citizen since the 60s,hes insulted her, neglected her, and even physically abused her yet hardly anyone ever brings up what an awful husband he is. captain america gets all pissed cause hank hit jan but ive never heard any one say a word about reeds mistreatment of sue.
    rein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By rein

that's because sue is a secret masochist. What you've seen is the foreplay for their s+m game. that's why nobody ever talks about it

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe
    @rein:
    that would actually be the only reasonable explanation for her not dumping reeds a$$.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @rein: LOL excellent answer!
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By EdwardWindsor

either that or or he has some deal realting to if he gets slap happy again she can sod off with namor lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe
    @lazystudent:
    my main question is with all that talk of right and wrong from the heros how come they all ignore reeds behavior while constantly riding pyms a$$ about how he treated his wife is it cause reed is the upstanding oe whereas pym is open about his problems and atleast pym had remorse reed acts like its all fine and dandy
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @joshmightbe: It might be because Reed has saved the world so many times while Pym needs to pretend to and create a horrible machine bent on killing all humans.  Reed is just a better hero.

I think that the writers made Reed this way, like they had such a hard time combining someone who spent all of his time in a lab and had a good relationship with his wife. Plus, the Fantastic Four is all about a family dynamic and we all know that families don't always get along.

Hopefully, the time of Reed being a bad husband and father is over. He has recently picked his family over his work and I'm looking forward to a new FF that not only works together well but gets along better.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By iLLituracy
    @joshmightbe said:
    "
    "
    I see nothing wrong here. Clearly--she wasn't shutting up. Nothing like a swift hand to silence a wench. :]
    NagolNuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NagolNuff

lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
    @jloneblackheart:
    im not trying to say pym is better im just saying there shouldnt be a double standard and abusing your wife is wrong no matter how many times you save the planet
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @joshmightbe: That's true, I'm just trying to come up with my they treat Pym differently than Reed. It might also have to do with Cap and the Avengers knowing Pym better. When you are more comfortable with someone you are ready to bring up the bad things more. If you see someone all the time you have a better chance of telling them their breath smells than someone you rarely spend time with. For all we know they talk all kinds of smack about Reed behind his back playing cards in Avengers Mansion.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe
    @jloneblackheart:
    youd think thing or johnny wouldve said something about it especially johnny that is his sister
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

You have to remember it was years and years before Sue turned from the weak woman filled with self doubt to the confident powerhouse she is now. Most of the earliest FF issues are full of sexism, which was acceptable at the time. It actually took many years for all of them to evolve in character and in powers. 

It's all kind of speculation. Maybe Thing doesn't say anything because he knows Reed so well. He just turns away and takes the good with the bad. 

It is a little inconceivable that Johnny would'nt have said or done anything. He is characterized as a 'hothead' so you think he would do something. But Reed only slapped her the one time I know of. It's not like a constant abuse issue. The real abuse is the neglect. But maybe Johnny and Ben just know Reed has to be in the lab working so he can save the day, as he usually does. I've seen them comfort Sue before. Maybe they all just know Reed to well to know he might be impossible to change unless he changes on his own, which he hopefully has. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe
    @jloneblackheart:
    even their powers were sexest at first reed could strech and shape shift, thing was super strong,johnny could control fire and fly, but sue turned invisible ow her powers are cool but then it was basically only good for hiding
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hoboseid

wo hoo

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7540176/16-Superheroes-Who-Are-Actually-Douche-Bags    

The case against: If the image over on the right is too small to read, let me quote what's being said there for you: REED: I mean you're right! I've been a blind, inconsiderate fool -- but I'm going to makeup for it! I want to buy you a whole new wardrobe -- and then you and I will do the townlike it's never been done before!SUE: Darling -- I don't know what to say--!REED: Fine! Wives should be kissed -- and not heard!    

Evpraksiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Evpraksiya
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " @joshmightbe: It might be because Reed has saved the world so many times while Pym needs to pretend to and create a horrible machine bent on killing all humans.  Reed is just a better hero.  I think that the writers made Reed this way, like they had such a hard time combining someone who spent all of his time in a lab and had a good relationship with his wife. Plus, the Fantastic Four is all about a family dynamic and we all know that families don't always get along.  Hopefully, the time of Reed being a bad husband and father is over. He has recently picked his family over his work and I'm looking forward to a new FF that not only works together well but gets along better. "
    Agree. plus we can't omit the fact that comics have been, in some ways, a mirror of the society. Today this is shocking at that time this was pretty ''normal''.''Supergirls'' wrote by Mike Madrid got some good content and explanation about a lot of things like that.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Evpraksiya said:
    " @jloneblackheart said:
    " @joshmightbe: It might be because Reed has saved the world so many times while Pym needs to pretend to and create a horrible machine bent on killing all humans.  Reed is just a better hero.  I think that the writers made Reed this way, like they had such a hard time combining someone who spent all of his time in a lab and had a good relationship with his wife. Plus, the Fantastic Four is all about a family dynamic and we all know that families don't always get along.  Hopefully, the time of Reed being a bad husband and father is over. He has recently picked his family over his work and I'm looking forward to a new FF that not only works together well but gets along better. "
    Agree. plus we can't omit the fact that comics have been, in some ways, a mirror of the society. Today this is shocking at that time this was pretty ''normal''.''Supergirls'' wrote by Mike Madrid got some good content and explanation about a lot of things like that. "
    Yeah....Hank's a better hero than Reed has ever or will ever be. Hank was having a mental breakdown when he accidentally hit Jan, and he spent the rest of his life trying to make up for that one mistake. Everyone else gives Hank crap, but no one moreso than Hank himself. Reed's an egotistical douche who's sole reason to exist is to prove himself smarter than everyone. He uses Science to fuel his ego, Doom uses it for power, but Hank uses it to help people. He's only used it to help people. Sure, sometimes he's been too smart for his own good (Ultron), but he's still stopped Chthon, the Unspoken and the Cosmic Cube endowed Absorbing Man; all while Reed was focused on "Solving everything". What was Hank doing?

"Saving everything". And that's why he's Scientist Supreme.
    Evpraksiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Evpraksiya
    @FadeToBlackBolt: 

Reed's an egotistical douche who's sole reason to exist is to prove himself smarter than everyone. He uses Science to fuel his ego 

how true...! but in comics i've realized that guys of this type are kind a legion but masses love them so their bad behavior seems rather normal. What masses think isn't to be taken as law, as you said Reed needs to shut it once in a while for sake...people always use what they think they're good for in order to fuel their ego. Sometimes it's just too much and too obvious.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt: The point I was trying to make was that Reed isn't a bad husband, he just often puts being a hero before being a husband. 

As for being a better hero, I was being a little subjective. It is, of course, debatable. A debate you'd probably win because I'm no debater. Also, for the most part, I never got the "egotistical douche" vibe from Reed. Well, sometimes. I just think certain writers don't know how to handle the big intellects of some characters. At the same time, I think he just may lack some of the social grace that smart people sometimes miss. You know, more comfortable with machines and microscopes than with people.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: The point I was trying to make was that Reed isn't a bad husband, he just often puts being a hero before being a husband. 

As for being a better hero, I was being a little subjective. It is, of course, debatable. A debate you'd probably win because I'm no debater. Also, for the most part, I never got the "egotistical douche" vibe from Reed. Well, sometimes. I just think certain writers don't know how to handle the big intellects of some characters. At the same time, I think he just may lack some of the social grace that smart people sometimes miss. You know, more comfortable with machines and microscopes than with people.
    "
    Damnit, I've done it again, engaged in hyperbole when I'm flustered (I'm doing it in another thread as we speak :P). I apologise. Reed does have a big ego, but that is as much the fault of poor writers as it is his character's nature. I always felt Waid understood Reed the best, he's a Scientist who let his confidence get the best of him, and he ruined his family's lives. The only wait he could see to make it up to them, was to turn them into celebrities. I actually like Reed, but I'm fiercely protective of Hank :P

Sorry for responding to a year old comment, it's a pain when people do that.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt: No worries. I wasn't upset at all. No apologies necessary.

Unlike most who just love to get in an argument over the internet, I understood your point, realized I made a general statement that was subjective and possibly untrue, recanted said statement, reiterated point and tried to expand on our conversation to promote dialogue. :)

Also, most people don't ever respond to most of my comments so a year later is better than never. 

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @jloneblackheart:  Yeah, you were (no sycophancy intended) quite classy in response to my less than charming comment, so thank you for that.

I hate getting into Internet arguments, I just have an insane habit of doing so >_>
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hoboseid
    Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Inverno

http://www.cracked.com/article_16512_the-6-worst-comic-book-super-husbands_p2.html

And guess who is number 1? With just the same picture above. For those lazy to click on it:

Married To:

Susan Storm, AKA The Invisible Woman

Good Qualities:

A winning smile, a smooth talker, and a penis that can actually stretch a county mile.

Warning Signs:

Let's look at some examples of Mr. Fantastic's philosophies towards marriage:

Mr. Fantastic on Communication:

Mr. Fantastic on Reconciliation:

Mr. Fantastic on Shutting Susan Up:

The Clincher:

Let's be honest: any of the above pictures are enough to condemn Reed Richards as a lousy husband, and a total dick to boot. But we here at Cracked pride ourselves in going that extra mile when denouncing imaginary jerks, so try this gem on for size: Reed Richards shut off his own son's brain.

Young Franklin Richards, budding mutant prodigy and apple of his mother's eye, was an issue of some concern to his father. Franklin apparently had a godlike supply of reality-altering power, which Reed was afraid he might lose control of. His solution is enough to make anyone remotely familiar with an Oedipus complex bite clean through their cigars.

Ladies and gentlemen, The Coma Ray:

Reed "There's No Problem That Rayguns Can't Solve" Richards

Reed may look conflicted in the picture, but you just know that in the back of his mind he's going "Excellent! My calculations regarding the Vegetomatic Tranfusor were spot on! Truly, this a glorious day for science!"

The fact that Reed Richards is both the worst husband on this list while being the only one who's still married is probably a testament to just how good Reed Richards is at spinning his dick moves. Keep in mind, this guy got superpowers in the first place by taking his fiancee and her dopey teenage brother into dangerously radioactive areas of space (on said fiancee's dollar). That he became known as a superhero at all shows he is one smooth m*****ker. Well we're not fooled, Mr. Richards.

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Charlie_Jade

Reed is the wannabe dictator of 616

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@joshmightbe said:

hes treated her like a second class citizen since the 60s,hes insulted her, neglected her, and even physically abused her yet hardly anyone ever brings up what an awful husband he is. captain america gets all pissed cause hank hit jan but ive never heard any one say a word about reeds mistreatment of sue.

i thought he hit/insulted her because of her whole Malice trip. then there's also the fact that Pym was on Cap watch which in a way made him sort of responsible for Hank.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't argue he neglects them. What was the story where Franklin asked people if they hated him because he was a mutant, and Reed pretty much shrugged it off and continued working away in his lab. That for me summed up their shit parenting skills

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By skypilotbinky

Reed represents that stereotype that smart people have no emotion. He's Marvel's Sheldon Cooper. I'm surprised nobody has accused him of having Aspergers Syndrome yet.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Sue can do so, so much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.