inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The mythos of Mortal Kombat can be intimidating as well as a tad convoluted at times. With this first issue of MORTAL KOMBAT X, readers are dunked into a kiddie-pool of MK lore and it's a soft and easy blow to the reader without dumping gallons on history onto their heads. Writer Shawn Kittelsen does a fine job at presenting this package that is the world of Mortal Kombat to readers which both those familiar and unfamiliar with the mythos will enjoy reading.

This first issue takes place just a few years after Mortal Kombat 9 and it mainly follows Kenshi and features Scorpion, Hsu Hao, and even a little surprise at the end of the issue. Kenshi has always been quite a compelling character: a blind man who is a master at martial arts who possesses telekinetic abilities. Kenshi apparently has a child and after a battle with Hsu Hao, which is ended quickly by Scorpion, we learned how he came to have a son.

We get a really cool flashback scene where Kenshi is off on a mission that connects him to his son. The color work from Veronica Gandini is fantastic during these scenes. The muted color palate is very appealing and gives the obvious impression that we're in the world of the flashback.

In addition to that flashback scene, the art here is beautiful. Dexter Soy and Gandini do an amazing job in this first issue. Character designs and color look wonderful and it's a nice break from the darker look fans have gotten used to in the video games. Also, bearded Scorpion is super-cool looking. As far as the creative team goes as a whole, there's a lot of potential for this to be a top weekly, digital book.

Lots of people want to know if this book can live up to the brutality and violence of the video game series. In short, yes it does. Now, this book isn't about violence and brutality though. It's about story, character development, and introducing this world to readers. Violence is merely a means to an end for some scenes. The balance between violence and story is near perfect here. We even get a fatality here, without Shao Kahn yelling "Finish Him" over the page. It's brutal. It's violent, but don't the book doesn't let that be the focus of the issue, which is a great thing.

The Bad

There's certain lines or phrases that have to be in a Mortal Kombat comic, no matter what. "Get over here" is one of those phrases. So Scorpion shouting a version of that out is a bit forgivable, even though it feels a tad cheesy. There's another moment with a cheesy line of dialogue where a mother says something that feels very much like a 90s one-liner that doesn't fit the tone of the the book. The last page also sat a little rough as far as dialogue goes. It's not bad, but for a big moment like this one, it just feels a little out of place for the character. Aside from that, the dialogue works well, there's just a few hiccups.

The Verdict

In the past, books, films, television, and even some games with "Mortal Kombat" slapped onto the title have sucked, for the most part. What Mortal Kombat X does well is that it's a labor of love written by someone who loves the mythos and understands it but can still present it to a mainstream audience. This first issue is a success and even die-hard, hardcore MK fans will love this. The talent on this issue it top notch and if you're a MK fan, this is a must read. DC Digital has yet another hit on their hands.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Dying to read this. Now that you gave it 5 star makes me want to get it more.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Kenshi is the love child of Daredevil and Psylocke

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Never played Mortal Kombat before (except when I tried out the Fred Krueger character on a whim) I know nothing on the characters, or backstories or plot...but I might pick this up in print.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Can't wait till I get the chance to read, it looks like this is going to be everything I wanted. I'm going to have to wait a while though since my reading device is having technical problems.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to read this, is it only available digitally?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Looks at review for comixbook

Get over here!!!!

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be interesting

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this will read better in trade for non-mortal kombat fans like me, because I was totally lost as to who these people were and what they were doing. It's looks good and it reads good, but it does feel like we need an audience surrogate asking important questions.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
    onilordasmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, that was fast. Anyways, I enjoyed it very much! Though I thought that were certain pacing issues. I mean, we get tons of revelations and hints of what happened during or after the 25 years after the first MK tournament, and that kind of disrupted the flow for me. Aside from that, I enjoyed it very much.

Dexter Soy draws one badass Scorpion, too. Can't wait for more bloody fatalities.

@the_stegman said:

Never played Mortal Kombat before (except when I tried out the Fred Krueger character on a whim) I know nothing on the characters, or backstories or plot...but I might pick this up in print.

You'll be completely lost though. If you don't know anything about what happens in the first game, you won't understand the bred crumbs Shawn Kittelsen has left for many MK fans. You can always watch the collection of the cutscenes on youtube, though.

I don't think hell be lost, at least not more than the rest of us are. Sure he probably won't know who Hsu Hao is, or Mavado, or Daegon, or understand the loads of other little nods here and there, but much, if not all, of that stuff isn't relevant to the story being told in this issue.

My take...

At first I was luke warm on what I read and say, but I really think my experience of reading it (Google Play on Tablet) is what turned me off. I have since read through it again on a bigger screen, with Comixology's "guided View", and WHOA! did that make my experience better. Anyway, I really enjoyed the art, and the characters, though I agree with the gripes of the review above. This issue is great, and the only major issue I have is that there isn't more of it.

Here's looking forward to issue #2!

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'll take this over squirrels any day. Glad to see 5 stars.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very awesome issue! The timeline is as Shawn said really post MK 9 but way, way before MK X...

Curious to see who this Sub-Zero is, and if it's the same one in the game. Game one has glowing eyes and no scar so wondering what's going on there, love the paying homage to the way Sub was dressed in this issue/series to oldschool Kuai-Liang(MK3 and MK Deadly Alliance Sub-Zero)

This may be confusing honestly to the non-MK follower of the canon games, storyline over the years but they can catch up. But to the newer reader, it can perk interest in the games so it could have that solid reverse effect too.

10/10 first issue, pacing, writing and art are all solid. I hope this has the same success as Injustice!

@onilordasmodeus I noticed elsewhere you said you were lost lol understandable we don't know the exact year/time but I believe it's post MK 9/pre, very, very pre MK X. Awesome issue, can't wait to pick it up in trade!

onilordasmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onilordasmodeus

@fallingcliffs said:

@onilordasmodeus I noticed elsewhere you said you were lost lol understandable we don't know the exact year/time but I believe it's post MK 9/pre, very, very pre MK X. Awesome issue, can't wait to pick it up in trade!

Yeah, I have since re-read the issue a few times, and also really looked at the art again. The first time I read it, it was just not that enjoyable and hard to follow as the app I was using was completely F'd, but I read it again on Comixology and that seemed to make a world of difference as I could follow along better, and see everything as a whole.

The story seems to be taking place around the time of Deadly Alliance and Deception, but with noticeable differences like the DA isn't a thing, and thus Onaga may not be a thing. I just wanted to have a clear picture in my head of who I could expect to see, and thus could see how everything in the comic lines up with everything else in the universe.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onilordasmodeus: Yeah I hear ya. Sadly there's not enough room on my phone for the comixology so I had to read it on my PC instead I agree it's far easier wide screen lol. I'm curious who the hell this Sub-Zero is, notice how they paid homage to classic Kuai Liang MK 3 timeline with how he's dressed and of course him having a scar now. Wondering if it'll be the same Sub in MKX's future, that one has no scar and has glowing eyes.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onilordasmodeus: Yeah...Since the last Mortal Kombat game was a reboot of the whole franchise, I agree any storyline that happened before the last game is non-existent. Hence the reason why Kano gave the younger Sub-Zero the scar on his face instead of the Lin Kuei giving him that mark when he did not praticipate in the cyborg program.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna get a PS4 in a while but this is sure gonna help with the wait for that and MKX.

onilordasmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onilordasmodeus: Yeah I hear ya. Sadly there's not enough room on my phone for the comixology so I had to read it on my PC instead I agree it's far easier wide screen lol. I'm curious who the hell this Sub-Zero is, notice how they paid homage to classic Kuai Liang MK 3 timeline with how he's dressed and of course him having a scar now. Wondering if it'll be the same Sub in MKX's future, that one has no scar and has glowing eyes.

Subzero is the biggest question mark for me too. Him wearing the MK3 costume and NOT having the scare is what threw me the most, but Kano giving him a scare similar to the old one is interesting. I really want this to be Bi Han reborn, but it could just as likely be Kuai or some new guy. Well will see.

@onilordasmodeus: Yeah...Since the last Mortal Kombat game was a reboot of the whole franchise, I agree any storyline that happened before the last game is non-existent. Hence the reason why Kano gave the younger Sub-Zero the scar on his face instead of the Lin Kuei giving him that mark when he did not participate in the cyborg program.

MK9 wasn't a reboot, but it did restart / refresh the franchise. Furthermore, the "Netherrealm War" referenced in the story is seemingly MK4's war between Heaven and Hell, and the Red Dragon being headed by Daegon is a direct nod to Shinnok and Taven's quest, which leads directly to Armageddon. While the old details may not apply going forward, the big story beats are seemingly still there.

And about Subzero's scar, I'm completely lost on this as if this is post MK4, that scar should already be there. I don't know what the F is going on there, but they again the mess around with that scar in like every game.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't wait to read this!

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onilordasmodeus: I agree was about to say, Sub's scar originally they never really dived into it was hinted that either he got it from a fight with Scorpion or the LK possibly, but at least now we get a confirmation on A Sub-Zero(I hope it's Kuai Liang honestly) getting his scar from Kano using cursed Kamidogu knife. Maybe my guess is due to Raiden changing parts of the timeline that perhaps this time Sub just gets the scar LATER rather than sooner, my guess.

I also agree on the reboot thing, even Ed Boon said it's a "retelling of the MK 1, MK2 and MK3 storyline" MK 9 that is. Noticed while some things changed, a lot also stayed the same or still happened/happens. I think due to the scar it's not Bi-Han but COULD be with some changes, or as you said a new Sub-Zero as just a nod to MK 3 Sub-Zero with the scar OR is could indeed be Kuai Liang come back which is my theory as to why the dude he oneshotted by kicking was mocking him about working for Quan-Chi, which Bi-han also kind of did in Mythologies way back and as Noob technically....or it could be Kuai Liang as a former puppet similar to how he was when he was a cyborg in MK9 being controlled by the Lin Kuei when they worked with Outworld, before he got reprogrammed and freed by the good guys. Cause I noticed he said "Lord Raiden" Bi-Han wouldn't be as receptive towards Raiden that way. Just my theory but guess we'll find out soon.

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hype is real!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was sitting staring at my phone for this to become available for download and got it as soon as it was up, awesome read. Completely agree with the review and everyone should pick this thing up!

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chaos911

Will most likely just wait for the printed trade, glad to hear the first issue is amazing!

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blade_R

Loved it. Cant wait for the next one. It's also nice to see that the writer or whoever designed the characters in this comic knows their stuff, or at least did their homework.

Here is some concept art of Hsu Hao from back in the day

No Caption Provided

Notice those stars on his face?

Those actually never made it into his final designs in the games he has appeared in, but if you look at the page of the comic where you see Scorpion throw his spear into Hsu's cybernetic implant and look really close at Hsu's face, he has them! (black instead of red)

That's awesome to me, especially since he has never actually had those make his final design before.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wow, totally forgot this came out this week. Gotta check it out

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Dude how have you managed to not play Mortal Kombat? This thing was everywhere in the 90's. Lol

sonova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand what you're saying about the tone and dialogue but if they don't find a clever way to include "Whoopsieeeeee" then all is lost.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Mezmero

I'm a bit apprehensive if this comic is as good as people say it is. The reason being that Injustice's tie in comic book was really great too and then the story presented in the actual game ended up being merely decent. I really enjoyed the story mode in MK9 but Injustice was sort of a let down on the narrative side. I'm worried that the story in Mortal Kombat X proper will end up being just okay. Anyway good review. I'll consider reading this.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@mezmero: I'd say there's a big difference, being one that Shawn actually addressed in recent interview. He said Injustice was great, however everyone knows the JL you have an idea who they are and what they stand for. Where as MK newer fans can pick it up and dive in, if you're a hardcore MK fan even better and the nods with these name drops and characters would make perfect sense to you.

That would be the major difference, Injustice was a newer and solid concept of an alternate look at a darker JL ruling the world through fear, while good it has been done before in albeit similar way. MK's plot however is unique and had literally 20 years going into knowledge and cues, breadcrumbs within this comic.

I don't know how familiar you are with MK mythos but if you're familiar you will like this comic. If you like darker, interesting and just something fresh a bit more mature you will like this comic. If you're hyped for MK X you will like this comic. Besides, MK9's story was overall considered better than Injustice's(I personally loved both) but also keep in mind two different writing teams. Injustice had both NRS and DC writers while MK just has their own writers including guys like John Vogel who was apart of the original core 5 guys who did the first few MK games yet is still with them today.

One other thing the writer is a bigtime MK fan who actually grew up with guys like me in my era being in his 30's, he knows his stuff did lots of research on top of being a fan himself which always helps. The first issue is indeed awesome, but I do think this has tons of potential to last a while.

Lastly if you're not fond of violence or messed up ways of people dying you may not like it, it's just apart of MK's world.

@blade_r Yeah I remember that concept wayy back and true, just noticed that. Good eye. They're paying lots of homage to classic things and cues about previous characters costume wise and name wise. Even Sub-Zero he's donning his MK 3 look which I thought was awesome lol.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Just read it, Enjoyed what is featured and can't wait to read more!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.