Follow

Moonstone

Character » Moonstone appears in 853 issues.

Dr. Karla Sofen is a founding member of the Thunderbolts and former member of the Masters of Evil. She has flirted with both sides of the law in Norman Osborn's Avengers as Ms. Marvel. She's a control freak with nearly limitless power granted her by moonstones, hence her codename.

Who is the best writer for her?

Avatar image for captain_danvers
    Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Captain Danvers
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

Reed has only done two issues with her so far so he's not fair to judge yet, but i prefer the way she was written in Thundebrolts!

Avatar image for captain_danvers
    Captain Danvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captain Danvers
    I think Reed's Moonstone is the best so far even though she's only been written by him for a short time.Ellis did well with her personality but she looked like the worst metahuman ever.In fact all the Thunderbolts did.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By geraldthesloth

Warren Ellis did her best at making her what she is.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " Warren Ellis did her best at making her what she is. "
    An underhanded b#tch who has trouble taking down street levelers with a whole team at her command?
    .Scorpion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By .Scorpion.

Warren Ellis

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " Warren Ellis did her best at making her what she is. "
    An underhanded b#tch who has trouble taking down street levelers with a whole team at her command?
    "
    as far as the b!tch part goes yeah.
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tassa_kay

Ellis, most definitely.  Bendis writes her like a foul-mouthed teenage whore and Reed gives her little to no personality whatsoever.

Oh, and it's not Ellis' fault that Karla is a bad team leader.  Karla has ALWAYS been a bad team leader in the tactical aspect, all the way back to her Master of Evil days.  That's an established trait of hers, and he captured that perfectly.  Also, if Karla is making the team look bad, she's also making Norman look bad by extension, and that's also an established trait of hers: plotting against whoever is in charge over her.

I actually wish Ellis was writing Dark Avengers.  It really is a continuation of his Thunderbolts "era", and he gets the characters enough to really do well with the book.

Avatar image for jean_paul_beaubier
    Jean-Paul_Beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Can I please be a rebel and vote for Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza? lol

I hate how Karla's been written since Fabian stopped writing Thunderbolts. 

As for Karla's leadership....she never really wanted to "lead", she's just always wanted to be in control, and that's different.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pixelized
    @pixelized said:
    " Reed has only done two issues with her so far so he's not fair to judge yet, but i prefer the way she was written in Thundebrolts! "
    edit, REED is awful
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @pixelized said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " Reed has only done two issues with her so far so he's not fair to judge yet, but i prefer the way she was written in Thundebrolts! "
    edit, REED is awful "
    So is Karla :)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pixelized
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " @pixelized said:
    edit, REED is awful "
    So is Karla :) "
    because she's the victim of character abuse.
    Avatar image for jean_paul_beaubier
    Jean-Paul_Beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@Vance Astro said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " @pixelized said:
    edit, REED is awful "
    So is Karla :) "

Karla's not awful, she's just self-serving.
    Speedy92286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Speedy92286
    @Jean-Paul_Beaubier said:
    " Can I please be a rebel and vote for Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza? lol I hate how Karla's been written since Fabian stopped writing Thunderbolts.  As for Karla's leadership....she never really wanted to "lead", she's just always wanted to be in control, and that's different. "
    Exactly. She wants to be the one who manipulates the one in command, not be in command of anything. She has her own goals, but rather manipulate others to her own purpose than go for the throat herself. Why Ellis wanted Moonstone to be team leader is beyond me, but he did an okay job with her leadership skills. My only real complaint is that Karla never attacked once in the fights that the Thunderbolts had when Ellis was at the helm. Karla likes watching her puppets dance, but she is a damn fine fighter. She is a phaser that can control gravity, has super strength, durability and projectiles. Before Ellis' run Karla was never afraid to get into a scrap, but his version of her was afraid of breaking a nail. Whatever. At least the other characters he wrote well. 

Out of this poll? Ellis. Bendis makes her too whorish and Reed makes her seem like a Ms. Marvel clone with no personality. I rather have a bad representation of Karla than one that is totally wrong or extremely boring.
    Avatar image for generation_jubes_
    Generation Jubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Speedy92286 said:
     Ms. Marvel clone with no personality. I rather have a bad representation of Karla than one that is totally wrong or extremely boring. "
    Let's go ahead and pretend Moonstone had SOOOOO much personality before Reed got to her.Ellis' Moonstone was just as lame as Reed's and whoever was writing Thunderbolts back when she was still Meteorite.She was invisible in Vol.1.
    Speedy92286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Speedy92286
    @Generation Jubes said:
    " @Speedy92286 said:
     Ms. Marvel clone with no personality. I rather have a bad representation of Karla than one that is totally wrong or extremely boring. "
    Let's go ahead and pretend Moonstone had SOOOOO much personality before Reed got to her.Ellis' Moonstone was just as lame as Reed's and whoever was writing Thunderbolts back when she was still Meteorite.She was invisible in Vol.1. "
    I will admit she was not reeking any sort of amazingly memorable personality, but she had something to her. Yes, Ellis wrote a very uninvolved Moonstone whose only real qualities were being a bitch and a whore. Reed could have done a lot more with her since she was the focus of the series. Reed actually gave Moonstone a role in combat, and didn't do a bad job in displaying her prowess. Bendis also accomplished this in Dark Avengers. While I am glad to see that Karla will actually risk breaking her ever so expensive nails, there is no real meat to her anymore. 

In the old series she had a mix of some personality, developing from someone cold hearted who only wanted to manipulate those in charge to her own ends, to a person who actually came to care about her teammates. She was even had feelings for Hawkeye, something the character never thought possible. That is a simple explanation of her personality in the old series before Ellis took it up. At least she had something that was positive going for her back then.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Speedy92286 said:
    " @Generation Jubes said:
    " @Speedy92286 said:
    Let's go ahead and pretend Moonstone had SOOOOO much personality before Reed got to her.Ellis' Moonstone was just as lame as Reed's and whoever was writing Thunderbolts back when she was still Meteorite.She was invisible in Vol.1. "
    I will admit she was not reeking any sort of amazingly memorable personality, but she had something to her. Yes, Ellis wrote a very uninvolved Moonstone whose only real qualities were being a bitch and a whore. Reed could have done a lot more with her since she was the focus of the series. Reed actually gave Moonstone a role in combat, and didn't do a bad job in displaying her prowess. Bendis also accomplished this in Dark Avengers. While I am glad to see that Karla will actually risk breaking her ever so expensive nails, there is no real meat to her anymore.   In the old series she had a mix of some personality, developing from someone cold hearted who only wanted to manipulate those in charge to her own ends, to a person who actually came to care about her teammates. She was even had feelings for Hawkeye, something the character never thought possible. That is a simple explanation of her personality in the old series before Ellis took it up. At least she had something that was positive going for her back then. "
    I don't know what you're expecting from someone pretending to be Ms.Marvel.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iLLituracy

Fabian Nicieza.

tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tassa_kay
    @Generation Jubes :
    Are you kidding me?  Moonstone was a multi-faceted villainess-turned-antihero who was one of the most compelling characters in the original Thunderbolts book because she was so difficult to get a bead on.  She managed to sell out the team more than once and still remain a sympathetic character, and had a consistent characterization as a self-serving manipulator who had the *potential* to reform but ultimately failed to do so.    

Since emerging from her coma, Moonstone has slowly but surely turned into a bitchy, foul-mouthed skank whose default setting for dealing with the opposite sex is to sleep with them.  Moonstone certainly doesn't have any qualms about using sex as a weapon, but it's been used as her ONLY weapon, and that's sad.
    Avatar image for generation_jubes_
    Generation Jubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tassa_kay said:
    " @Generation Jubes : Are you kidding me?  Moonstone was a multi-faceted villainess-turned-antihero who was one of the most compelling characters in the original Thunderbolts book because she was so difficult to get a bead on.  She managed to sell out the team more than once and still remain a sympathetic character, and had a consistent characterization as a self-serving manipulator who had the *potential* to reform but ultimately failed to do so.      Since emerging from her coma, Moonstone has slowly but surely turned into a bitchy, foul-mouthed skank whose default setting for dealing with the opposite sex is to sleep with them.  Moonstone certainly doesn't have any qualms about using sex as a weapon, but it's been used as her ONLY weapon, and that's sad. "
    Well you are obviously someone who likes Moonstone so it appears you are exaggerating her worth.She never once CHOSE to be an anti-hero.The first time the suggestion came from Baron Zemo and then currently from Osborn.She just spent an entire arc of Ms.Marvel's comic playing her and doing a terrible job of it.Self-Serving manipulator is so Mystique,So Paladin,So Magneto,basically what i'm saying is that she shares that trait with several other characters that do it alot better.She's self-serving but still on a short leash.I don't know when sex became Moonstone's only weapon but either way I don't find anything about her interesting.Ms.Marvel #46 made my day.I could wait for Carol to kick her ass.
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tassa_kay
    @Generation Jubes said:
    " @tassa_kay said:
    " @Generation Jubes : Are you kidding me?  Moonstone was a multi-faceted villainess-turned-antihero who was one of the most compelling characters in the original Thunderbolts book because she was so difficult to get a bead on.  She managed to sell out the team more than once and still remain a sympathetic character, and had a consistent characterization as a self-serving manipulator who had the *potential* to reform but ultimately failed to do so.      Since emerging from her coma, Moonstone has slowly but surely turned into a bitchy, foul-mouthed skank whose default setting for dealing with the opposite sex is to sleep with them.  Moonstone certainly doesn't have any qualms about using sex as a weapon, but it's been used as her ONLY weapon, and that's sad. "
    Well you are obviously someone who likes Moonstone so it appears you are exaggerating her worth.She never once CHOSE to be an anti-hero.The first time the suggestion came from Baron Zemo and then currently from Osborn.She just spent an entire arc of Ms.Marvel's comic playing her and doing a terrible job of it.Self-Serving manipulator is so Mystique,So Paladin,So Magneto,basically what i'm saying is that she shares that trait with several other characters that do it alot better.She's self-serving but still on a short leash.I don't know when sex became Moonstone's only weapon but either way I don't find anything about her interesting.Ms.Marvel #46 made my day.I could wait for Carol to kick her ass. "

How am I exaggerating her worth, exactly?  I haven't said that she's this second-to-none puppet master who makes everyone dance to her tune, but she's certainly good in the role.  Moonstone has been a self-serving manipulator since the days when Paladin was the merc with a heart of gold, Magneto was just emerging as a mutant supremist, and Mystique... well, she has the advantage of her power giving her a level of experience that Moonstone could never have, but it doesn't mean Moonstone is filling anyone's niche.  Her niche, as it is, is that of the second-in-command who manipulates her team members against whoever's in charge, and works toward her own goals first. 

And yes, Moonstone (in the entirety of her time in Thunderbolts after rebelling against Zemo) has been consistently portrayed as an anti-hero.  Look up the word, and it fits her to a T.  It has since she became a Thunderbolt.  Are we reading the same books here? 

It all boils down to this just being your opinion: YOU don't find Moonstone interesting.  I could say that I find a self-serving manipulator far more interesting than Carol Danvers, a character that, under Reed's pen, has two settings: angsty I'm-not-good-enough underachiever and jackbooted government thug.  But hey, to each his own. 

(And if Reed knew how to write Moonstone properly, we'd have seen a more even fight.  Where was the psychological warfare?  Where was the intangibility?  And don't even get me started on how Carol knows all this information about how Moonstone's powers work by telling, instead of showing, that Carol was in her head learning about what makes her tick.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.