gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

You never know what to expect with each issue of MOON KNIGHT. Brian Wood has captured the formula that has made this a fantastic series and has been running with it with ease. Bringing back the doctor from the first issue, we journey down a pretty interesting path. Moon Knight has decided to pay her another visit in order to find out what she's all about, despite the fact that she tried to kill him...a couple times. He undergoes some funky hypnosis session with her that allows them to share memories.

During this trip, the tables turn a little and Marc gets to be immersed in some of her memories to find out why she tried having the general of a micro-nation in East Africa. It's a compelling and hard-hitting story as we witness the horrors that sometimes occur in other nations. It comes down to a bit of a philosophical debate between the two on a different sort of scale. Needless to say, things don't quite go down as you would expect.

Greg Smallwood's art is incredible. Amped up with Jordie Bellaire's art, it's such a visual treat. With each issue, his art becomes stronger and stronger. The action scenes are becoming more fluid and detailed. I'm starting to really slow down while reading just to take it all in.

Yes, we had a great writer and artist in the first arc of this volume but Wood and Smallwood have absolutely taken ownership over this series. And talk about a pretty insane ending!

The Bad

The only confusion I had was over the hypnosis session. It almost seemed like some sort of telepathy was involved in order for the two to share memories and even interact in them. Perhaps we'll find out more next issue unless I completely missed something.

The Verdict

This series makes me so incredibly happy. I've always felt Moon Knight was a great characters and it brings me joy to have see him with such a great series. Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood are doing wonders with this series. Any doubts readers had over the changing of the creative team should be long gone by now. Each issue gives you something different. Things go in a strange and bad direction (for Moon Knight) in this issue. As soon as I finish reading, I start counting the days until the next issue.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By BeaconofStrength

Fun issue. Brian Wood is really living up to my expectations. Really didn't see that ending coming.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Definitely wasn't expecting that ending. I am excited for the next issue to see where it goes from here.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So is there a story arc going on or is it still following the one and done story formula?

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

To be honest I completely forgot about the doctor. Wonder how Marc will handle this dilemma

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ragtag7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the best Marvel Comic Series' in a long time.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Ugh how many times have we seen this story with Moon Knight now?

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By Romthelegionaire
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@romthelegionaire: Almost every run has had Khonshu betray Marc and ditch him for a new avatar, I thought we were done with him being a hindrance.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I just love this team, they're a perfect follow-up to the perfection that was Ellis and Shavely

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Lol at the tag line for this review.

Will his insurance covers this?

Awesome. Great issue too.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@jonny_anonymous: Oh. This is the first volume of Moon Knight I have ever read so I wasn't aware of that. Anyway maybe Brian Wood will put a new spin on an old formula?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

arcs> single issues IMO

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Warren Ellis's Moon Knight series. Six issues is a short run but it felt longer due to the one-shot approach he took with it. I have to say, even though I enjoyed the writing and stories (the art was beautiful too), this never felt like a Moon Knight comic to me. It felt like something else. Like a brand new character altogether. Yes the "supernatural element" is there but the new costume (Mr. Knight) is a significant departure. Also, Moon Knight is crazy. Multiple Personalities/dissociative personality disorder is kind of his thing. He was a crazy Batman, which I liked. Once again, I liked the series, but does anyone else feel like by revamping the character as much as Ellis did, that it doesn't even feel like Moon Knight anymore but a whole new character? Or is everyone happy with the revamp and I'm alone in missing the classic "crazy Batman" version of Moon Knight, who struggled his his past and multiple personalities?

I will say this, after reading this review I'm thinking of picking up the Brian Wood issues now. I love supernatural, weird crime, horror stuff and this book appears to have stuck with Ellis's original interpretation instead of Mr. Wood going in an all new direction.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brian Wood is definitely not a let down.

i had faith going into the news he was replacing Ellis, because i love Wood's stuff but man he is knocking it out of the damn park!

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Xframe29

Absolutely loved the ending of this issue!!!! I was new to Moon Knight but I picked up issue 1 of this new series and absolutely loved it so I have been following this series.

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
    MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yessss, 5/5 love it <3

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 owie  Moderator

I feel like in some ways it isn't clear to me what's going on here, and it's kind of randomly throwing time and continuity around (why is this doctor randomly showing up in his life, why did he make the cop call her last issue, what kind of crazy hypnosis was this?).

But, it's thoroughly enjoyable and I'm happy to let it play out and see where it goes.

Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brian Wood is the single most underrated writer in the industry

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SO SO SO GOOD

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to get back on this - didn't think any creative team could live up to Ellis' work.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

man, I gotta catch up to this arc!

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@romthelegionaire: Almost every run has had Khonshu betray Marc and ditch him for a new avatar, I thought we were done with him being a hindrance.

Yup. I am not particularly digging Wood's writing. My jimmies. They are rustled.

Avatar image for left_my_heart_in_san_franchees
    Left_My_Heart_In_San_Francheesie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book continues to surprise and impress me. I've never been a Moon Knight fan and I started reading against my (believed) better judgement solely because of Warren Ellis, and I have to admit, I'm glad I stuck with the book through the writer change.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I've been waiting for this book to start it's long term plot and it finally happened. It has a brilliant concept and I loved everything about this issue.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superior_prime_maybe: It's such a tired story now, it's happened in every run since the 80s. One of the best things about Ellis's run was that they were finally working in tandem.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.