gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

This series makes me so incredibly happy to be a Moon Knight fan. In an interesting and uncommon move, we're getting yet another self-contained story. Long flowing story arcs can be interesting to see the plot develop over time but there is something about being able to read an entire story within a single issue. To do so with such a compelling story is surprising. But of course we have Warren Ellis to thank for that.

Despite being firmly in the Marvel Universe, this story doesn't feel like a regular Marvel Universe story. It's pretty dark in some ways. If you think about it, what could be more frightening than a sniper, hidden in the shadows, taking people out? It's the hidden threats that sometimes can be more frightening, and realistic, than some sort of "scary monster" or such things. Getting a glimpse into the lives of different individuals whose time may be limited makes it that much more creepy and shocking.

Declan Shalvey takes the story and does a remarkable job in the...execution. It's like we have multiple stories going on at once and you'll find yourself flipping the pages back and forth to fully take it all in. The choice of some blank/white panels really hits you.

The Bad

This issue does read a little fast because of the nature of the panel layouts. It's definitely something that can be overlooked for the sake of the powerful imagery the absence of certain panels leaves.

It's almost a little odd that Moon Knight doesn't come into the issue until halfway through. He makes up for it in his actions but because there's minimal dialogue with him, it almost feels like he's not fully invested in taking out the bad guy. Because of the self-contained nature, this issue also doesn't pick up from the last page of the first issue. The ending also felt as if Moon Knight wasn't going to go after the final...shooter. The sniper was dealt with and that seemed to be all that mattered.

The Verdict

Two issues in and this is one of my favorite titles right now. Right now, we all have to make a mental wish that Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey, and Jordie Bellaire will stay on this title for a while.

In an almost odd-fashion, we get another self-contained story. These days it feels like most stories are written into nice neat story arcs that can easily be collected in trades. We get a haunting story of Moon Knight coming across a sniper. The ending is a little abrupt but this wasn't really a story that would need a second part, perhaps just another page or two. This is a great issue of MOON KNIGHT that anyone can easily pick up. Check it out. You'll dig it for sure.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

When I fist started reading this I wasn't sure what was going on but once it clicked I thought it was genius. Keep the great issues coming!

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So stoked to get this tomorrow!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I enjoyed it

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Sort of a Marc Spector analog. Read very quickly, but over all a good issue.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly not bad, but yeah, with the very minimal dialogue and a few near empty pages of art, this issue can be filed under the quickest reads in comics. This felt more like half an issue.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it, but I feel they could of done more with the first half; It kinda felt empty.

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rebel_Leader1

Really wanting to get into Moon Knight what's a good series to start off with? Would like some decent dialogue and great illustrations.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cap10nate

I read it in the guided view on comixology and thought that I was only on page 10 or so whenever it ended. Very good though.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of a weird, rapid pacing on the last page

-Guy walks in

-BLAM!

-Exposition

-Leaves

All in a single stride. He had enough time to get back in the damn elevator.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I liked this issue half issue or not

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

gotta say this issue was really good , if moon knight is going to stay like this im in!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was only my second issue ever reading Moon Knight...absolutely loved it. Was a bit confused during the first half but once Moon Knight entered the scene it was all epic.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By scouts1998

has anyone noticed that they added the parental advisory to this issue on the cover?

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By manwithoutshame

This series moved into my personal top 10 with this issue. 5/5 as far as I'm concerned.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Really wanting to get into Moon Knight what's a good series to start off with? Would like some decent dialogue and great illustrations.

Why not start with issue 1 of this series?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

has anyone noticed that they added the parental advisory to this issue on the cover?

It's because of the violence in this particular issue.

In regards to how "short" the issue is, I don't mind because of the powerful imagery associated with the pale white panels. When the last guy died and only his panel was remaining, it was really something. Great use of panels.

SnowyMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 9

Better than average filler in issue. It was a nice self contained story but not mind blowing like the first issue was. I did enjoy the artist's use of panels though and that Moonie is definitely using more than one outfit in this run. The stark contrast between the white and black portions of his costume is nice too. Overall, I'm willing to take a chance on this book and spend the money to see what Ellis is going to do next.

RATING: 3 and 1/2 STARS.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By owie  Moderator

Excellent issue. I loved the first several pages with the slowly dropping panels. And for those of us (like me) who are tired of hearing people call Moon Knight a third-tier hero, he has some nice throwing feats here, like slicing a bullet in half after it's been fired at him!

Although I agree that it went a bit fast, especially at the end.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The fighting/action makes up for the white out panels.. but no biggie.

bummed out that i could only get this seconds issue.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

was realy dissapointed that the book was only half what it should be. hope next issue will be better. I realy dont want to drop this, love Moonknight.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.