Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1414 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

Good riddance.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantsizeManThing

I love moon knight. He's my favorite character, But the absolute rape of this character(and that is what it was) is nothing short of atrocious. Let me tell you why I hated this terrible book.

1. He's a T.V. producer? So he moves to L.A. (which actually was a good move) and he get a job making a T.V. show about his life when he has absolutely no history or experience in hollywood. Doesn't make a lick of sense when a superhero makes a show about his life as said superhero, Does wonders for the secret identity doesn't it?

2. He had a great supporting cast, why get rid of it?

3.Bendis gave him a Lucius Fox rip-off named Buck Lime. Other people might not have mind it but I hated it.

4. Last, the Avenger personalities. Not original, not innovative, just a bullsh*t way to get spider-man and wolverine in ANOTHER book. He never had multiple personalities, they were aliases. I always felt his insanity came from his relationship to khonshu, something Bendis also ignored. The $3.99 price tag speaks for itself.

I'm not a Bendis hater, just a frustrated moon knight fan. Thanks for taking the time to read my Half-assed rant.

I leave you with this question, what should marvel should do with moon knight in 2012 and beyond?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

@GiantsizeManThing said:

I always felt his insanity came from his relationship to khonshu, something Bendis also ignored.

Technically, Khonshu is real. Been proven.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GiantsizeManThing

@InnerVenom123: I know. His relationship with khonshu makes him insane. I thought it was best depicted in Charlie Houston's run.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@GiantsizeManThing: Bravo, sir!

@InnerVenom123: I think he's just implying the connection they have is difficult and driven him mad at times.

As for what should Marvel do with him? Put him in hands that will bring back his established cast and push him in an organic direction from there.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@GiantsizeManThing: @k4tzm4n: My mistake, I thought you meant Khonshu was a hallucination or something of the sort.

Am I the only one who wants to know just what the flying hell happened with Frenchie and Rob? They were awesome characters (and a good couple, if I might add =P). And... and then they just f**king vanished after VOTMK.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GiantsizeManThing

@k4tzm4n: Thank you and that is exactly what mean.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DanialCarroll

@InnerVenom123 said:

@GiantsizeManThing: @k4tzm4n: My mistake, I thought you meant Khonshu was a hallucination or something of the sort.

Am I the only one who wants to know just what the flying hell happened with Frenchie and Rob? They were awesome characters (and a good couple, if I might add =P). And... and then they just f**king vanished after VOTMK.

Not to mention Marlene. The last we saw her, she had just gotten pregnant and then lost it. Such a traumatic experience for both of them, and yet Marc just up and leaves for LA? It makes no sense at all.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Superguy0009e

@GiantsizeManThing:honestly, they need to reboot him. go back to his roots and build up from the bottom. start from the beginning so no one can complain

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Dreadmaster

If there's one thing this run made me realize...is of how rich the supporting cast used to be. I insanely want that back in the next series.

Good rant though.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Superguy0009e: Yeah I agree with this.

@dreadmaster: I agree, sometimes the supporting cast can make or break a book.

marco_spectro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By marco_spectro

i always have high hopes for Marc Spector/Moon Knight.

They cancelled a Taskmaster series with a lead character who had a tony stark goatee and a shitty entourage tv show. Marvel must lose money on comics.. i can only see this writing pushing readers away to other forms of more thought out entertainment.

i believe an angle would be take it back to the werewolf bite. marc spector was wearing silver armour - it provides him supernatural abilities without a lycanthrope mutation . the personality disorder arose from a series of traumatic events. The Lycanthrope virus caused depersonalization and hallucinations (Khonshu is a justification for returning from the dead). Have him grounded in a urban supernatural setting taking on werewolf street gangs, lesbian draculas, f_ck even have him punch out a few mummies that storm the set of his TV show. DO NOT REBOOT. REFINE. it can and must be done - BATMAN had a dog!

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DanialCarroll

@dreadmaster said:

If there's one thing this run made me realize...is of how rich the supporting cast used to be. I insanely want that back in the next series.

Why would anyone want to get rid of Frenchie, Marlene, Crawley, and Gena? They really are a great supporting cast.

xlizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xlizen

Hearing that Moon Knight was cancelled yet again honestly made me feel depressed. I really don't want Marvel to shelf him like other countless characters since he has so much potential.

@GiantsizeManThing said:

I love moon knight. He's my favorite character, But the absolute rape of this character(and that is what it was) is nothing short of atrocious. Let me tell you why I hated this terrible book.

1. He's a T.V. producer? So he moves to L.A. (which actually was a good move) and he get a job making a T.V. show about his life when he has absolutely no history or experience in hollywood. Doesn't make a lick of sense when a superhero makes a show about his life as said superhero, Does wonders for the secret identity doesn't it?

3.Bendis gave him a Lucius Fox rip-off named Buck Lime. Other people might not have mind it but I hated it.

4. Last, the Avenger personalities. Not original, not innovative, just a bullsh*t way to get spider-man and wolverine in ANOTHER book. He never had multiple personalities, they were aliases. I always felt his insanity came from his relationship to khonshu, something Bendis also ignored. The $3.99 price tag speaks for itself.

I'm not a Bendis hater, just a frustrated moon knight fan. Thanks for taking the time to read my Half-assed rant.

I leave you with this question, what should marvel should do with moon knight in 2012 and beyond?

Agree with all man, that was just as sad to watch our character just get destroyed in front of our eyes and to end up being cancelled.

On a weird note, I kind of want Marvel to revive their horror comics and throw Moon Knight in the front and center of it so he can fight the Wolfman and others while teaming up with other heroes like Blade and Daimon (stupid idea, I know but it sounds kind of interesting on paper). Or they can, ya know put him back to his original roots with his original cast while adding new rogues and characters in the process.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By daredevil21134

@GiantsizeManThing said:

A-Men

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DanialCarroll

@GiantsizeManThing said:

I would love for him to keep on with the Secret Avengers as well as possibly making appearances in Daredevil or Punisher.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daredevil21134

@Danial79 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

I would love for him to keep on with the Secret Avengers as well as possibly making appearances in Daredevil or Punisher.

I welcome him in Daredevil

Justinpants21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Justinpants21

Marvel needs to find not just a good writer, but also someone who actually wants to write Moon Knight. Someone who loves the character and can give the character 100% dedication. Ed Brubaker's favorite character was Bucky and you can easilly tell by his writing, and look what he did for that character, so i think that's what Marvel needs. Either that or give him a more mature Marvel Max type series that's a little darker. Alot of people might not agree, but i've always wanted to see someone like Garth Ennis take a stab at MK. He may be too much for some but i think he could def handle the crazy side of MK without changing everything.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Justinpants21: I heard Dan Slott is a big moon knight fan and really wants to write him.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DanialCarroll

@GiantsizeManThing said:

@Justinpants21: I heard Dan Slott is a big moon knight fan and really wants to write him.

If that's true, it would be awesome :)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

@GiantsizeManThing said:

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? HOLY CRAP.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

If that's true, it would be awesome :)

@InnerVenom123 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? HOLY CRAP.

Yeah, check the #150 post in this forum http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=285723&highlight=moon+knight

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DanialCarroll

@GiantsizeManThing said:

Yeah, check the #150 post in this forum http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=285723&highlight=moon+knight

That is so cool. I would have preferred him write it over Bendis any day. Hopefully he'll get the chance in the future.

Here's the post for anyone who can't find it:

Moon Knight is the ONE Marvel Character that I own EVERY single appearance of. (Including the original ver. of the hard to find B&W back-up stories from the HULK magazines.)
    When I first went to work at Acclaim Comics, I think I freaked out their Art Director, Don Perlin, by shouting out, "You're the guy who created Moon Knight!!!" (Which he did, in WEREWOLF BY NIGHT).
    During an un-aired Marvel podcast, Joe Quesada went around a table asking every writer there-- if they could write ANY Marvel Character, who would it be. EVERY single guy (including JMS who was writing Spider-Man at the time) said Spider-Man. And then it got to me-- and I freaked everybody out by saying Moon Knight!
    I LOVE Moon Knight.
    And I think that when they introduced (or rather confirmed) the magical Khonshu elements into the book (back when Moench left) was the first wrong turn they took with the character. It kinda goofed up the premise: Is Marc/Jake/Steven/Moon Knight crazy or isn't he? And that kind of screwed the pooch by CLEARLY saying "Nope. Magic Egyptian God DEFINITELY saved him. And look, here's Dr. Strange to back that up." :(
    Moon Knight is the Marvel U. Batman-- except he's on the crazy side-- and he can screw up. (Which is wonderful! Because if you're writing Batman correctly-- HE shouldn't screw up. Ever.).
    Could I write a good Moon Knight story? Ever read my Batman stuff from DC? Not just Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, but my Batman Adventures stuff too? After my first big arc-- BATMAN ADVENTURES Vol.2 #5-#8, my fellow Batman scribe turned to me and said, "Congratulations, you finally wrote a Moon Knight story." And I said, "No. That was Batman." And he said, "Trust me, that was Moon Knight-- you just had him as Batman/Bruce Wayne/Matches Malone... But that was REALLY Moon Knight/Steven Grant/ and a hybrid of Marc Spector/Jake Lockley." (And he TOTALLY caught me. Because that was EXACTLY what I was doing!) :)
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Marvel needs to give up on Moon Knight and give someone else their undying attention....how many new volumes do you have to start before you realize not enough people care?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Thank God cosplay- man is gone.

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Benzo

Dan Slott would be a great choice to write Moon Knight! If he can't do it, then get someone like Warren Ellis to write the character. :P

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daredevil21134

@Vance Astro said:

Marvel needs to give up on Moon Knight and give someone else their undying attention....how many new volumes do you have to start before you realize not enough people care?

I hate to say it, but I agree.I would like Ironfist or Blade to get another shot

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Danial79 said:

Moon Knight is the ONE Marvel Character that I own EVERY single appearance of. (Including the original ver. of the hard to find B&W back-up stories from the HULK magazines.)
    When I first went to work at Acclaim Comics, I think I freaked out their Art Director, Don Perlin, by shouting out, "You're the guy who created Moon Knight!!!" (Which he did, in WEREWOLF BY NIGHT).
    During an un-aired Marvel podcast, Joe Quesada went around a table asking every writer there-- if they could write ANY Marvel Character, who would it be. EVERY single guy (including JMS who was writing Spider-Man at the time) said Spider-Man. And then it got to me-- and I freaked everybody out by saying Moon Knight!
    I LOVE Moon Knight.
    And I think that when they introduced (or rather confirmed) the magical Khonshu elements into the book (back when Moench left) was the first wrong turn they took with the character. It kinda goofed up the premise: Is Marc/Jake/Steven/Moon Knight crazy or isn't he? And that kind of screwed the pooch by CLEARLY saying "Nope. Magic Egyptian God DEFINITELY saved him. And look, here's Dr. Strange to back that up." :(
    Moon Knight is the Marvel U. Batman-- except he's on the crazy side-- and he can screw up. (Which is wonderful! Because if you're writing Batman correctly-- HE shouldn't screw up. Ever.).
    Could I write a good Moon Knight story? Ever read my Batman stuff from DC? Not just Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, but my Batman Adventures stuff too? After my first big arc-- BATMAN ADVENTURES Vol.2 #5-#8, my fellow Batman scribe turned to me and said, "Congratulations, you finally wrote a Moon Knight story." And I said, "No. That was Batman." And he said, "Trust me, that was Moon Knight-- you just had him as Batman/Bruce Wayne/Matches Malone... But that was REALLY Moon Knight/Steven Grant/ and a hybrid of Marc Spector/Jake Lockley." (And he TOTALLY caught me. Because that was EXACTLY what I was doing!) :)

So, so awesome.

I wouldn't mind ambiguity being given back to MK's mental state, even if I love Khonshu.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DanialCarroll

@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

I hate to say it, but I agree.I would like Ironfist or Blade to get another shot

Sacrilege, both of you! :)

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

That is so cool. I would have preferred him write it over Bendis any day. Hopefully he'll get the chance in the future.

I LOVE Moon Knight.

Damn, I missed the part where he said they goofed the part about the khonshu elements, I thinks he's totally wrong about that.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

@GiantsizeManThing: But, to be fair, the Khonshu elements could still be awesome if it was played with ambiguity.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123: BAH! the hell with it! bring on the khonshu!!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

@GiantsizeManThing: =P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.