Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1414 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

Comic Book Question of the Week RESULTS: Favorite Moon Knight Villain

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Moon Knight is our latest Character of the Month, but what good is a character if they don't have an awesome rogues gallery to truly test them? That's why our latest Question of the Week asked you to reflect on the many terrible people Marc Spector has encountered over the years. Quite a few characters on the poll only have a limited number of appearances, but they definitely managed to leave an impact despite not having too much time to stick around. In the end, the majority decided to side with Moon Knight's most well-known enemy: Raoul Bushman!

No Caption Provided

Bushman is the most popular Moon Knight foe, so it's easy to understand why he took the lead over several lesser-known characters. He's had several encounters with the anti-hero, but it's worth noting that Moon Knight likely wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Bushman. If the evil guy never attacked Peter and Marlene Alraune, Spector never would have been viciously beaten and left to die in the desert. And, as we all know, that's how he eventually became the character we now know and love. Plus, Bushman's fights with Moon Knight in the first story of the 2006 run and VENGEANCE OF MOON KNIGHT are shockingly brutal.

Here's the poll results. Sad to see the very fun Zapata Brothers didn't get more love! And no, we didn't include Werewolf by Night since he technically isn't a villain.

No Caption Provided

Let's see what the community had to say about these villains.

Deadpoolwins23

"I had to vote for Bushman because lets face it he's Moon Knight, and Marc Spector's number one villain. He has been a constant and reoccurring thorn in his side. When it really comes down to it, he helped created Moon Knight in the first place, caused he greatest fall, and even helped rise him back up again. Not even death could cause Bushman to leave permanently.

Honorary mention for the Zapata brothers because I loved the down south story."

No Caption Provided

TommytheHitman

"Conquer Lord was the first villain that really pushed Moon Knight to the limit. He kidnapped his girlfriend and tried to feed her to the rats. After shooting the Mayor in Moon Knight's own House. He even challenged Moonie to a game of Life Sized Chess right before!"

No Caption Provided

Gutwire

"As for my choice I went with Morpheus. Moon Knight is a physical fighter so watching him dodge Morpheus and his "Ebon energy" is pretty cool. That and he's just an incredibly weird villain. I Think we might be seeing him next issue (#4) after reading the solicitation."

No Caption Provided

Check back next Tuesday for another Moon Knight question! If you have suggestions for the segment, please leave them in the comments below or reach out via Twitter! Want to continue celebrating Moon Knight? He's currently fighting Green Arrow (vote here!!!) and his 'Best Covers' will be posted on Friday.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

I figured Bushman would win. Gotta say I'm surprised by all the love for the Zapata Bros.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I figured Bushman would win. Gotta say I'm surprised by all the love for the Zapata Bros.

I'm surprised by all the love for Count Nefaria.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tparks said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

I'm so glad he didn't win.

Saddened that Scarlet didn't get more votes.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tparks said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Does Black Spectre appearing in Ellis' run help counter your sadness?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@tparks said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Eillis' run in general counters any sadness at all from me.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@tparks said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Eillis' run in general counters any sadness at all from me.

It counters then re-saddens me after I remember that's in the last issue.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@tparks: true, I thought Nefaria would get some votes if only for being the big bad of the previous title. Never imagined he would get that many. In all honesty I did have to look Lupinar up, I had no recollection of him.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pfft, I was robbed. Cancellation totally should have won. I hope the new series does well, but it sucks that they are switching creative teams after only 6 issues. Marvel needs to get over this crap of writing everything with an eye toward the TPB market, it makes all the stories very ADD.

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gutwire

I mentioned seeing Morpheus in #4 but my hopes were dashed. However they harken back to him in a valid way so I suppose it wasn't a complete loss. Everyone should pick this series up.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft, I was robbed. Cancellation totally should have won. I hope the new series does well, but it sucks that they are switching creative teams after only 6 issues. Marvel needs to get over this crap of writing everything with an eye toward the TPB market, it makes all the stories very ADD.

Nothing to do with Marvel, Ellis only wanted to do the first arc.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

It counters then re-saddens me after I remember that's in the last issue.

Oh no you reminded me! Now I'm sad again...

@tparks: true, I thought Nefaria would get some votes if only for being the big bad of the previous title. Never imagined he would get that many. In all honesty I did have to look Lupinar up, I had no recollection of him.

Ya, Lupinar was an obscure one, but it's cool to see that @k4tzm4n knew to put him on the list. I'm a pretty big Moon Knight collector, so I remembered Lupinar, but Nefaria did strike me as strange to get that many votes. I guess he's the most recent main villain though, so it does kind of make sense, because he might be the only one a lot of people are familiar with.

Either way, this is awesome that Moon Knight is getting a month. I would have never guesses he'd win that vote, but It's pretty great that he did.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackhood said:

Nothing to do with Marvel, Ellis only wanted to do the first arc.

I understand that was far as this particular book is concerned, but still part of that is mandating that an arc lasts only six issues so they can slam it into a trade 4 months after it comes it. Forcing every story other than an event into these little six issue servings is bad for storytelling in my opinion. Thankfully, Marvel gives some leeway to Peter David with X-factor so he can have longer arcs, which shows in the quality of the book.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Fourth place! I'll take it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

He does look pretty badass

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

If i voted I would have said Count Nefaria only because he killed Echo who Spector was in love with.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No real surprise. It's the equivalent of Joker winning in a best Batman villains poll, or Doom in a Fantastic Four one. Every good hero/team has their penultimate opponent, and Bushman is clearly Moon Knight's... even though I voted for Scarlet :P

Deadpoolwins23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My post got featured! that's awesome and even more awesome because Moon Knight is my favorite character. too be honest one of my favorite moon knight villains is actually stained glass scarlet, but i never really thought of her as a villain more of a brutal anti- hero, in a way she was more like catwoman(just more vicious). Gotta give props to Moon Knight villains in general though because while they may be B- list.... ok maybe C or D-list they're all strange and in the end thats what Moon Knight is all about weird and unnatural things.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imma be honest...I didn't even know Moon Knight had villains

SnowyMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By SnowyMountain

I'm surprised that Dominus nor the Examiner got an honorable mention as I remember that these were the guys that ol' Loonie Moonie trounched during his membership in the West Coast Avengers.

In retrospect, I think that is one of the main reasons why Moon Knight gets so little respect. He lacks a major league rogue's gallery like Batman.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bystander

RB isn't my favourite of MK's villains. However I can't make up my mind who is. Black Spectre? Werewolf by Night (yes I know that he is not a villan!)? Morpheus? A properly handed Shadow Knight? Duh.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tparks said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Yeah, somehow he beat Black Spectre and a host of other great villains which is just baffling to me. Clearly people need to read more Moon Knight than just the Bendis volume (ugh!).

Not at all surprised by Bushman winning. But when I think about the original Black Spectre arc and the God and Country arc where he returned and systematically tore apart Marc's life he should have gotten more than 10%.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Def black spectre

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: I'm personally tied between the Black Spectre and Randal Spector. The Black Spectre is a great character as a whole, but Randal Spector was in the hands down best Moon Knight story arc. Then again, Marvel ruined Randal by bringing him back as The Shadow Knight.

Also, Bushman is pretty bland and boring of a character. I can see how Marvel can improve the character but over the years they were just making him even worst.

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsthenamecom: Exactly!! Bushman imo is probably one of moon knights worst villains despite being his main one. Randal and black spectre had some amazing storylines in moon knights fisrt volume under doug's writing. Speaking of bushman, have you seen him in moon knight's new marcel legacy run? He's in no shape to fight moon knight now

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: I did not read issue 2 of the Marvel Legacy Moon Knight run yet. So far I am not a big fan of it. It just seems they are trying to make another Shadow Knight and this "new" villain sucks just as bad if not worst. And just like Shadow Knight, this new villain SOMEHOW gets superpowers while serving in war and became mentally insane as a result (if you don't remember, Shadow Knight got laser eyes during the war. So first Cyclops and now Pyro, way to ripoff the X-Men New Moon Knight writers).

WOW Bemis truly is a genius and this new villain that I do not know the name of is definitely Moon Knight's main arch rival.

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsthenamecom: issue 2 was actually pretty entertaining, you should check it out. Something is wrong with the jake persona though, he's acting like marc. Apparently issue 190 is going to reveal whats wrong

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: It just sounds stupid to me, I mean Doug Moench gave Moon Knight three disguises to tell the story of a hero in hiding. Marc Spector is man wanted by the CIA for knowing about the mind control program and constantly being tracked down by terrorists he fought back during his mercenary days.

As a result, The Steven Grant disguise was invented so he can use his wealth without seeming suspicious and the Jake Lockely disguise was dawn so he can leave home to interact with normal civilians.

Oh and the same thing happened in that Shadow Knight story. Jake Lockely's "persona" was dying and by the end of the story, Marc Spector says to Marlene: "Jake is dead, I'm Marc Spector".

I'm telling you the truth, this new run of Moon Knight is just doing the same exact things that Shadow Knight run did a decade ago. Both are terrible stories, but I hate this new run of Moon Knight more than the Shadow Knight run. Also just like how Bemis is boasting about "The Sun King" being Moon Knight's Best villain because to quote Bemis, "Moon Knight never had a rogues gallery, so I wanted to create a villain that to be Moon Knight's arch rival", on the other side of things The Shadow Knight writer said the same things and for some reason he never knew Moon Knight had the Hatchet man story. So he purpose turning Randall Spector into a villain (Once again without knowing he was already used as a villain before. All he knew was Moon Knight had a brother name Randall).

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsthenamecom: im not saying the story is amazing. Im just curious as of now. I like the original shadow knight arc where noon knight teamed up with the punisher( i love their team ups). I'd have to say my 3 favorite runs on moon knight were Doug's, marc spector: moon knight, and the high strangers storyline. Resurrection wars is a good one too. What are yours?

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: "I like the original Shadow Knight arc where noon knight teamed up with the punisher".

Yeah... that never happened. I am assuming you are confusing Shadow Knight with Midnight's Son. The Shadow Knight three part story happened during the Shadowlands event where Daredevil is evil.

"(i love their team ups)". Well to quote Doug Moench, "ehhh, back in the day Marvel had me write forced team ups with Moon Knight meeting Daredevil, Brother Voodoo, etc. Every time it felt like a forced in gimmick, especially with the Spider-man teams up which thankfully I never had to write but how the heck did one or two of them pop in my Moon Knight Essentials Graphic Novel. I will never know. Moon Knight as a character works in the shadows and always to me at least, felt out of place in the Marvel universe".

My personal favorite Moon Knight run is Count Down to Dark, My favorite one off story (well actually I believe it is two issues) is when Moon Knight has to save Chicago from a terrorist group poisoning the water, and my favorite non-Doug Moench story arc is Scarlet Redemption with Trials of Marc Spector coming in second.

The Moon Knight runs I think are the worst include: Vengeance of the Moon Knight, Jeff Lemire's Moon Knight, Bendis's Moon Knight, Charlie Huston Moon Knight (not because it was bad, but because it tainted the character making everyone base Moon Knight around his vision), and Final Phase Moon Knight (especially the drawings that made my eyes bleed).

I was going to include Warren Ellis Moon Knight as one I hate, but the stories in the run are too well written though have little connection to Moon Knight as a character. It never felt like a Moon Knight comic. I mostly just hate it since it popularized the Moon Knight O.C. (do not steal) Mr. Knight that character that everyone seems to "love".

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsthenamecom: that did happen. I have the issues. Punisher and moon knight had to stop Randal and nepthys. In the 3rd part randal donned the shadowknight persona to try and replace marc. I know there was a shadowknight story arc from shadowland but im saying that wasn't the first time randal became shadowknight.

I think marvel made a good move on having other vigilantes appear im moon knight's life. He feels more a part of marvel that way, not to mention his establishment as new allies.

I agree completely on the huston/benson run. The story was great but now everyone thinks moon knight is an unskilled reckless brawler with d.i.d who likes pain. He was originally established as a sane mercenary, who knew every form of martial arts known to man with a black and silver costume. Oh well, i know that moon knight is never comming back but it's always fun to see a new writer's take on him.

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: Oh it must have been from that "Down South" Charlie Huston Moon Knight graphic novel... I never read that comic yet.

I guess its like how Mr. Knight's first appearance was in a Secret Avengers story.

Hopefully the Warren Ellis Moon Knight will just be a fad like the Bendis Moon Knight. I mean we aren't seeing Moon Knight pretending to be Wolverine or Spider-man in the new comics, right?

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: Meanwhile if it makes you happy, I am working on project "Moon Trip": a hand drawn animated short Moon Knight series I am working on for youtube.

And before you denounce it, just remember the wise words of the late Steve Gerber (creator of Howard the Duck), "Any additional works of literature NOT written by it's original creator should be consider as Fan Fiction". So in Steve Gerber's eyes, none of the post Doug Moench Moon Knight comics exist.

Anyways, here's a title card:

No Caption Provided

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw: I'm hoping for late January, but now probably mid Spring. Hand Drawn animation takes a lot of time and effort as you can imagine... Especially at 25 frames a second.

Anyways "Moon Trip" refers to a "Bad Trip" meaning you are going to see a TON of messed up imagery.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k4tzm4n  Moderator

#DeadZoneWasRobbed

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.