halfpastwhenever's Moon Knight #1 review

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever

One Crazy Knight

I must admit that I don't know too much about the character or history of Moon Knight in the 616 Universe.  I am more familiar with his Ultimate counterpart, who I really liked.  This coupled with the fact that he is on the Secret Avengers roster made me interested in picking this issue up.  Long story short, I'm glad I did.

The Good
Well coming in as relatively clueless reader, I thought how they set up Marc Spector in L.A worked quite well.  He's a new upcoming television producer, well why not?  We get a origin story that doubles as a scene from a television pilot.  Guest stars abound with the big three of Spiderman, Wolverine and Cap showing up and telling Moon Knight that he needs to keep the streets of L.A safe and take down the 'Kingpin' of L.A.  So far so good.

I loved the art in this issue, it has a gritty feel to it which reminds me of Scarlet - not too much of a surprise considering it has the same creative team.  Moon Knight in action is a joy to behold.

I like that the big bad isn't revealed right off.  Bendis builds the tension through henchmen and shady deals.  And lets not forget the twist at the end, while not completely unexpected, is great and has me really excited for forthcoming issues.

The Bad
Not a lot wrong here in my opinion.  But while I liked the set-up of Marc as a TV producer/writer.  I really hope that it remains on the back burner for the majority of the run and we get more of a focus on Moon Knight.

The Verdict
A new lease of life for a very interesting character.  I'd recommend getting on board now.