Follow

Mongul

Character » Mongul appears in 206 issues.

The cruel conqueror Mongul once roamed the cosmos aboard Warworld, a planet-sized engine of destruction. Invading countless worlds, Mongul enslaved entire populations. Dying at the hands of Neron, his son carries on the family tradition, most recently as a member and would be leader of the Sinestro Corps.

Time for the DCnU to Bring Back Mongul

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By DEGRAAF

TO BE CLEAR I AM TALKING ABOUT MONGUL II.

No Caption Provided

I chose Mongul II for a number of reasons

1. I didnt think he needed to or wanted him to be recreated

2. Current events leave an opening for him to come back

3. i would like to see him as a villain in the Action Comics series

4. With the current opening for his return he could come back more powerful and ruthless hen ever

Mongul was a force to be reckoned with. His strength was on par with or above Superman with the evil and destruction that is Darkseid. For those of you who don't know who Mongul is, he is a vicious conqueror of worlds that is only out for destruction and death. Born of the planet Debstam IV. His father (by the same name) was a tyrant ruler that slaughtered the worlds population (depending on which story you go by, others say he was cast out and they were slaughtered by a more villainous tyrant with them begging Mongul to return only to leave them to their choices and fate).

In his early incarnations during the Bronze Age Mongul was written as physically more powerful than Superman and as almost totally invulnerable to harm. In addition, Mongul demonstrated the ability to teleport, limited telepathy and could project blasts of potent force via his eyes or hands. The character also used technology to shrink his enemies and place them in dimensional-inversion cubes, designed to prevent escape by warping their interior reality and absorbing any power used against them from within. Later on he was significantly reduced in power, no longer being able to physically match Superman and was even defeated by him while Superman was in a weakened state. He also no longer had the abilities to shoot force blasts from his hands or eyes nor the cube technology, and could only project energy blasts via an amulet attached to his torso. He is also no longer a physical match for Superman, as Superman was able to defeat him in their first fight despite being weakened by lack of regular yellow sun rays.

No Caption Provided

In the more modern incarnation, Geoff Johns turned this character in to a true force to be reckoned with. He was big, powerful, and ruthless. He came back killing his sister (Mongal), stealing a lantern ring from a dying Sinestro Corps being and then went on a killing spree while acquiring more power. He took control of the Sinestro Corps for a time being leading it with an iron fist only to be beaten by the weapon he had originally taken and Sinestro being trapped in the Yellow Battery.

With Recent events shutting down the Yellow battery and putting most of the Sinestro Corps in stasis, this leave a perfect time for Mongul to come back in to his reign of terror. Since being trapped in the power battery alot has changed. He has defeated Arkillo once already for the right to lead the Sinestro Corps. and now with Arkillo having his own ring separate from the Sinestro Corps we have all come to know Mongul could restart the battery with the fear he creates and bring the corps out of stasis. In doing so he could move the power battery to his home planet of Debstem IV and Creating a new Warworld (Warworld). With the power of the Yellow Lantern Corps, he could have the abilities to properly run Warworld mentally.

So to sum it all up they need to bring Mongul back, make him as powerful as he was before (eye and hand force blasts and all) as well as giving him his more powerful chest blast for when fighting beings even more powerful then him) and give him the corps back. With DC wanting to bring more presence to their cosmos Mongul (as well as Despero) would make a great addition to it. With his forma abilities, an army of lanterns, and a war world to protect the source of the power for the corps he could take control of his own galaxy and rule it.

He could still fight the Justice League and the Lantern corps and when one on one (w/o his rings) face Superman for an amazing battle. We could see him make an appearance in the Red Lantern book as villain as he looks to gain a red Lantern ring for more power.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Totally agreed here.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Here freaking here.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Lvenger

@RedheadedAtrocitus: @Gambit1024: If any of you guys have read Green Lantern 5 you can spot Mongul II chained to the bottom of the Sinestro Corps battery right where Sinestro left him during Blackest Night. So technically he has made his New 52 debut but I agree with the sentiments raised here that Mongul needs to come back as a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully Johns will find a way to free him and make him a threat to Green Lantern or Superman again.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Lvenger said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus: @Gambit1024: If any of you guys have read Green Lantern 5 you can spot Mongul II chained to the bottom of the Sinestro Corps battery right where Sinestro left him during Blackest Night. So technically he has made his New 52 debut but I agree with the sentiments raised here that Mongul needs to come back as a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully Johns will find a way to free him and make him a threat to Green Lantern or Superman again.

i must have missed that. I thought they actually placed him within the battery after his defeat not just chained to the bottom that why when they turned the battery off that he would then be able to get out.

I would like to see him as a larger force even. I like him fighting Superman but i would want him to be able to fight multiple corps at a time and being to the point of fighting the Justice League

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lvenger

@DEGRAAF said:

@Lvenger said:

i must have missed that. I thought they actually placed him within the battery after his defeat not just chained to the bottom that why when they turned the battery off that he would then be able to get out.

I would like to see him as a larger force even. I like him fighting Superman but i would want him to be able to fight multiple corps at a time and being to the point of fighting the Justice League

You mean like at the level he was in the Silver/Bronze Age when he smacked Pre Crisis Superman and Martian Manhunter around? He does need more powerful enemies I have to say.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Bring back original Mongul. (New 52 is all about getting new readers, you don't want to introduce Mongul II to new people) 

Just have him come in as though he's never appeared before, and wreck everything. Keep him away from the SC, as he's a Superman villain, and just put him as Superman's biggest physical threat. What Darkseid is often seen as.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Bring back original Mongul. (New 52 is all about getting new readers, you don't want to introduce Mongul II to new people) Just have him come in as though he's never appeared before, and wreck everything. Keep him away from the SC, as he's a Superman villain, and just put him as Superman's biggest physical threat. What Darkseid is often seen as.

Honestly I never quite understood the whole point behind Mongul 2,he's looks like the original Mongul,has the same motivation,same power set.I hate when they recreate the same character and try to pass him off as someone different lazy writing, wonder who gets the royalties for the character.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Lvenger: Yes. Giving him back all the poers he had in the bronze age as well as give him the Sinestro Corps (based off of War World) and Debstam IV as his Throne. In my eyes he should be above Superman but possibly below Darkseid. I've always kind of seen him as a villain up there with Darkseid. I also always thought of him as DC's version of Apocalypse.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Bring back original Mongul. (New 52 is all about getting new readers, you don't want to introduce Mongul II to new people) Just have him come in as though he's never appeared before, and wreck everything. Keep him away from the SC, as he's a Superman villain, and just put him as Superman's biggest physical threat. What Darkseid is often seen as.

They are trying to make it easier for new readers but they also are trying to not start over with everybody. They could easily tell his background in 1 issue. Who is SC? I agree he should be placed as ONE of Supermans biggest threats but i feel like he should be bigger then that. He should want to take down worlds and more powerful then superman but maybe not as fast (barely) and still couldnt fly without the use of a yellow power ring.

@entropy_aegis:

He does look slightly different but i think it had more to do with his dad dying so they brought in a new more evil version. Still i can see what you mean.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @DEGRAAF said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

They are trying to make it easier for new readers but they also are trying to not start over with everybody. They could easily tell his background in 1 issue. Who is SC? I agree he should be placed as ONE of Supermans biggest threats but i feel like he should be bigger then that. He should want to take down worlds and more powerful then superman but maybe not as fast (barely) and still couldnt fly without the use of a yellow power ring.

They really don't care about the established readership. Least of all with Superman. 

SC = Sinestro Corps.
    mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By mk111

Eh, Mongul is only good with great writers. If they brought him back, they couldn't have just any author write him.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEGRAAF

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@DEGRAAF said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

They really don't care about the established readership. Least of all with Superman. SC = Sinestro Corps.

yeah unfortunately i know but i would really like to see them keep him with his current background since he is one with few contradictory backgrounds

Oh that makes sense (about SC). Why would you want to keep him away? I thought he was great with the Sinestro Corps. ONe of my favorite parts was him gaining the ring then taking the time to learn about it. Thats one of the things that make him so menacing is that he is not normally a dumb villain. He could grow the tainted black mercy on his home abandoned planet

@mk111: yeah but you could say that about any character

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @DEGRAAF: Just because it took him away from Superman and made him more of a GL villain. And really, a Lantern should ALWAYS dominate Superman, since the ring can clone any radioactive substance, ala Kryptonite. I just think Mongul is that much of a beast in terms of power, he shouldn't be given a weapon that basically limits him to its use. 
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DEGRAAF

@FadeToBlackBolt: Ah, i like the idea of heroes sharing villains and vice versa. Also He doesnt have to be limited by the use of it. There are multiple members of various lantern groups that only use their rings as last resorts when it comes to fighting.

You would think but i guess they would have to know that Kryptonite weakens Super powered Kryptonians and also in my other blog i just created im not sure if it is just Hal or the whole Corps but since the New 52 launch Hal has been getting smacked around by power houses the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Darkseid as well as got his ring stolen by Batman. So either Hal has gotten worse or the ring isnt as effective as it used to be. ( i would say it is Hal though considering Sinestro knows how to create solid objects that last even after they have left compared to Hal making green constructs that eventually disappear

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@DEGRAAF: Just because it took him away from Superman and made him more of a GL villain. And really, a Lantern should ALWAYS dominate Superman, since the ring can clone any radioactive substance, ala Kryptonite. I just think Mongul is that much of a beast in terms of power, he shouldn't be given a weapon that basically limits him to its use.

He wasn't that much of a beast Pre New 52. Mongul II anyway. Superman handed it to him with ease during Public Enemies and Infinite Crisis 1. So I guess he does need to be beefed up. And isn't the creation of radioactive substances a Silver Age power? I can't think of any modern Lanterns using that ability and without it they can't really beat Kryptonians.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By WarlordEternal

I love Mongul and would love to see him again.

@Lvenger said:

Wait this happened in a New 52 book? So the events that have happened in the past with Mongul Sr. dying and his son trying to take control of the SC are still intact?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@WarlordEternal said:

I love Mongul and would love to see him again.

@Lvenger said:

Wait this happened in a New 52 book? So the events that have happened in the past with Mongul Sr. dying and his son trying to take control of the SC are still intact?

Yes the New 52 volume of Green Lantern issue 5. I will vouch for the fact that I certainly saw Mongul II at the bottom of the Sinestro Corps Lantern implying that the events of Blackest Night had taken place. However the New 52 continuity wise is a mess. The most relevant, worthwhile parts of a 35 year history have been cherry picked to occur within 5 years. Which doesn't make much sense since we don't know what specifically occurred. But I would imagine that Mongul trying to seize the Sinestro Corps is canon which must mean he had to face Superman beforehand.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WarlordEternal

@Lvenger: I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Part of me is relieved that Mongul Jr. is still alive and could break out to reek havoc at anytime but another part of me is pissed off because this was suppose to be a reboot and I would loved to have seen some stories that had to do with the whole Mongul family. To see Mongul Sr. back in action kicking Superman's a**. Give Mongal some spot light and some actual feats. I feel relieved and disappointed at the same time.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF

@WarlordEternal said:

@Lvenger: I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Part of me is relieved that Mongul Jr. is still alive and could break out to reek havoc at anytime but another part of me is pissed off because this was suppose to be a reboot and I would loved to have seen some stories that had to do with the whole Mongul family. To see Mongul Sr. back in action kicking Superman's a**. Give Mongal some spot light and some actual feats. I feel relieved and disappointed at the same time.

New 52 wasn't supposed to be a reboot. It was supposed to be a relaunch for the most part. They were supposed to condense and simplify everything so it was easier for new readers to jump on. Then they made the mistake of cherry picking events out of existence without telling anyone then having ot go back and explain what happened. They had a good idea until they started trying to remake characters and retcon major characters while leaving others mostly intact. I think that was their biggest downfall. They could have simply retconned things out of characters histories but without going to the extents that they did new readers never would have known.

@Lvenger: If you own the comic is there anyway you could possibly get a scan of it?

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WarlordEternal

@DEGRAAF:

WOW!

Just wow...

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEGRAAF

@WarlordEternal: what?

The best example would be the Bat-family. Everything was supposed to be condensed but now we are to believe that Bruce had 4 robins in a 5 year period (i still argue that Batman was around longer then 5 years) They decided that Tim Drake is no longer named Tim Drake and was never a "Robin" but has now always been Red Robin. He also used to have a close relationship with Bruce and Dick and hated Jason, but after New 52 he claims to be closest to Jason out of everyone (but he got to know him before Jason died which make no sense since Tim didnt become robin until after Jason died) is sort of an outcast of the Bat-family when he used to be the closer to Bruce then any other person.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WarlordEternal

@DEGRAAF said:

@WarlordEternal: what?

The best example would be the Bat-family. Everything was supposed to be condensed but now we are to believe that Bruce had 4 robins in a 5 year period (i still argue that Batman was around longer then 5 years) They decided that Tim Drake is no longer named Tim Drake and was never a "Robin" but has now always been Red Robin. He also used to have a close relationship with Bruce and Dick and hated Jason, but after New 52 he claims to be closest to Jason out of everyone (but he got to know him before Jason died which make no sense since Tim didnt become robin until after Jason died) is sort of an outcast of the Bat-family when he used to be the closer to Bruce then any other person.

WOW! That doesn't make any sense! Why would they do that!

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DEGRAAF

@WarlordEternal: Bc they were trying to condense 70 years of Batman, 70 years of Dick Grayson, 25 years of Tim and so on into 5 years of history.

As well as with a new launch writers seem to have more creative control over what did and did not happen and it seems like they laid out a basic plan for the whole universe but didnt nail down the specifics before launching

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WarlordEternal

@DEGRAAF: So they basically pulled a Jeff Loeb

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Herokiller12344

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Bring back original Mongul. (New 52 is all about getting new readers, you don't want to introduce Mongul II to new people)

Just have him come in as though he's never appeared before, and wreck everything. Keep him away from the SC, as he's a Superman villain, and just put him as Superman's biggest physical threat. What Darkseid is often seen as.

You know, the first Mongul I ever read about was Mongul II. If Jr was good enough for me, then why should everyone else have to go back to the drawing board?

This is yet another instance of the New52 just being a chore to follow. By the logic of the Green Lantern series, Mongul II should be the main Mongul. Yet we're getting his long dead dad? I liked "For the Man who has Everything" too, but why have two versions of Mongul if we're just going back to Sr?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.