Follow

Mjolnir

Object » Mjolnir appears in 3589 issues.

Mjolnir (pronounced myawl-nir) is the enchanted hammer wielded by Thor. It was forged by the dwarf weaponsmiths Brokk and Eitri after a bet with Loki. The name means crusher or grinder.

Not worthy to lift Mjolnir?

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dex

So I just had a quick question.  Mjolnir... those that are not worthy cannot lift it....is this because weight? Like Can Thor Place his hammer on a sleeping random person making that person unable to get up because the hammer?

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By difficlus

because of an enchantment by odin. 

DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeathinFire

Yeah, but I wonder about OP's orignial question still.  Could he put in on someone while they're sleeping and they would be stuck?  I know the enchantment thing, I get that, but sitting up, grabbing the hammer, scooting sideways, is still moving the hammer, right?  Thus said person couldn't move could they?
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I always wondered if like Thor randomly lost his powers and the hammer just fell into the middle of like a New York City street, couldn't you just like carve out the ground around it, not lifting the hammer itself but the earth around it and be able to move it? (does that even make sense?)

CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @War Killer said:
    " I always wondered if like Thor randomly lost his powers and the hammer just fell into the middle of like a New York City street, couldn't you just like carve out the ground around it, not lifting the hammer itself but the earth around it and be able to move it? (does that even make sense?) "
    Yes. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " I always wondered if like Thor randomly lost his powers and the hammer just fell into the middle of like a New York City street, couldn't you just like carve out the ground around it, not lifting the hammer itself but the earth around it and be able to move it? (does that even make sense?) "
    Yes.  "
    Then by that logic, what Red Hulk did to Mjolnir should plausibly work, too, right?
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 
    Then by that logic, what Red Hulk did to Mjolnir should plausibly work, too, right? "
    No. Completely different principles. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:

" @NexusOfLight said: 

Then by that logic, what Red Hulk did to Mjolnir should plausibly work, too, right? "
    No. Completely different principles.  "
    How so? Based on that explanation Red Hulk gave (as silly as it was), he didn't technically lift Mjolnir. So if moving the earth Mjolnir is on works, then that should too.
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 

How so? Based on that explanation Red Hulk gave (as silly as it was), he didn't technically lift Mjolnir. So if moving the earth Mjolnir is on works, then that should too.

Mjolnir can be moved/wielded by animated constructs or inanimate objects. It's conceivable that you can move the ground around Mjolnir and therefore lift Mjolnir up. 

There is gravity in space, therefore Rulk is a dumbass. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    Mjolnir can be moved/wielded by animated constructs or inanimate objects.  There is gravity in space, therefore Rulk is a dumbass.  "
    So if someone was driving a crane, and tried to lift Mjolnir with it, it would work?
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 
    So if someone was driving a crane, and tried to lift Mjolnir with it, it would work? "
    If the crane is strong enough, yes. I dunno what good that would do. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    So if someone was driving a crane, and tried to lift Mjolnir with it, it would work? "
    If the crane is strong enough, yes. I dunno what good that would do.  "
    I'm sorry, but that kinda makes no sense to me. Sorta goes against everything I know about the hammer. I've read Thor from the start of volume 2 (Jake Olson stuff) til' now, and haven't seen anything to to support this. In fact, the closest thing I can think of would be what Red Hulk did, and most would agree that was sorta silly. I'm not a Mjolnir expert or anything, and I will admit that if I have read over something that sorta goes along with that line of thinking, I've over looked it, but it just doesn't seem to make sense.
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 
    I'm sorry, but that kinda makes no sense to me. Sorta goes against everything I know about the hammer. I've read Thor from the start of volume 2 (Jake Olson stuff) til' now, and haven't seen anything to to support this. In fact, the closest thing I can think of would be what Red Hulk did, and most would agree that was sorta silly. I'm not a Mjolnir expert or anything, and I will admit that if I have read over something that sorta goes along with that line of thinking, I've over looked it, but it just doesn't seem to make sense. "
    The Destroyer was able to wield the hammer before. It was plucked out of Thor's grasp by a mechanical arm as well. Mjolnir's enhancement applies to sentient beings only, which is why the first two happened and the Rulk moment is PIS. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    I'm sorry, but that kinda makes no sense to me. Sorta goes against everything I know about the hammer. I've read Thor from the start of volume 2 (Jake Olson stuff) til' now, and haven't seen anything to to support this. In fact, the closest thing I can think of would be what Red Hulk did, and most would agree that was sorta silly. I'm not a Mjolnir expert or anything, and I will admit that if I have read over something that sorta goes along with that line of thinking, I've over looked it, but it just doesn't seem to make sense. "
    The Destroyer was able to wield the hammer before. It was plucked out of Thor's grasp by a mechanical arm as well. Mjolnir's enhancement applies to sentient beings only, which is why the first two happened and the Rulk moment is PIS.  "
    I always figured since the Destroyer was created by Odin, it was automatically enchanted, thus able to lift it whenever it wants, no matter who's in the driver's seat, it's doing what Odin created it to do. If the reason the Destroyer could lift the hammer was due to it being a machine, then wouldn't that mean any of Doom's Doombots could lift the hammer as well?
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dex
    @CosmicSpiral:  So back to my original question... Guy laying flat on his back and hammer put on his chest... Can he get up?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Dex: it would probably crush him rendering the question moot
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dex
    @joshmightbe: what if its juggs though...
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Dex: then he's stuck till thor comes back
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 
    I always figured since the Destroyer was created by Odin, it was automatically enchanted, thus able to lift it whenever it wants, no matter who's in the driver's seat, it's doing what Odin created it to do. If the reason the Destroyer could lift the hammer was due to it being a machine, then wouldn't that mean any of Doom's Doombots could lift the hammer as well? "
    I don't know if Doombots are strong enough to lift the hammer. It ought to be extremely heavy to begin with. Even if they could, they couldn't draw upon its power.  

@Dex said:
    " @CosmicSpiral:  So back to my original question... Guy laying flat on his back and hammer put on his chest... Can he get up? "
    No. 
    Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Jayso4201

I'm worthy give me that bitch!!! 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    I always figured since the Destroyer was created by Odin, it was automatically enchanted, thus able to lift it whenever it wants, no matter who's in the driver's seat, it's doing what Odin created it to do. If the reason the Destroyer could lift the hammer was due to it being a machine, then wouldn't that mean any of Doom's Doombots could lift the hammer as well? "
    I don't know if Doombots are strong enough to lift the hammer. It ought to be extremely heavy to begin with. Even if they could, they couldn't draw upon its power. "
    And how heavy could it possibly be? From my understanding, the hammer's weight has nothing to do with who can and can't lift it. It has nothing to do with who's strong enough to lift it either. It all boils down to Odin's magic. Jake Olson and Donald Blake certainly aren't strong enough to lift it, but since they're worthy, they can do so and become Thor as a result. If it were a matter of who's strong enough to lift it, then I'm sure a lot of other people could, Red Hulk included. Again, maybe you read something I didn't or overlooked, but where did you find that Mjolnir's magic doesn't work on non-sentient beings?

@joshmightbe
    said:
    " @Dex: then he's stuck till thor comes back "
    Actually, I just saw a scan of the hammer being rendered useless against Juggernauts magical defenses.
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 
    And how heavy could it possibly be? From my understanding, the hammer's weight has nothing to do with who can and can't lift it. It has nothing to do with who's strong enough to lift it either. It all boils down to Odin's magic. Jake Olson and Donald Blake certainly aren't strong enough to lift it, but since they're worthy, they can do so and become Thor as a result. If it were a matter of who's strong enough to lift it, then I'm sure a lot of other people could, Red Hulk included. Again, maybe you read something I didn't or overlooked, but where did you find that Mjolnir's magic doesn't work on non-sentient beings?
    If something attempts to lift the hammer which doesn't fall under the rules of the enchantment, then the only thing stopping them is the physical weight of the hammer. Uru itself is extremely difficult to fashion and weighs a considerable amount. 

A conclusion gathered from empirical evidence. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    If something attempts to lift the hammer which doesn't fall under the rules of the enchantment, then the only thing stopping them is the physical weight of the hammer. Uru itself is extremely difficult to fashion and weighs a considerable amount.  A conclusion gathered from empirical evidence.  "
    So where would Hulk fall under that? I seem to recall him actually getting mad enough to move the hammer, not lift, but budge it. I'm sure your reasoning is based on evidence, but what sources or instances in particular? Obviously the Destroyer being able to use it is one, but what else? 
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @NexusOfLight said: 
    So where would Hulk fall under that? I seem to recall him actually getting mad enough to move the hammer, not lift, but budge it. I'm sure your reasoning is based on evidence, but what sources or instances in particular? Obviously the Destroyer being able to use it is one, but what else?  "
    I don't think Hulk falls under the category of worthiness. There seems to be several factors in play beyond having good intentions and a good heart.  

I named two, and there is at least one more I cannot recall at the moment. 
    The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The Mango

I  think it's pretty much immovable.

Usually wherever in the world the hammer falls, it stays there until Thor comes to get it. I'm sure if all you had to do was lift it with a robot or move the dirt around it, the US government would have it in some secret lab within hours.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By roadbuster
    @Dex said:
    " So I just had a quick question.  Mjolnir... those that are not worthy cannot lift it....is this because weight? Like Can Thor Place his hammer on a sleeping random person making that person unable to get up because the hammer? "
    It's magic, not science, so there's no reason for the rules to be so rigid or formal. 

Consider the fact that Mjolnir is being "lifted" through space by the surface of the planet, its rotation, gravitational field, etc.  If Mjolnir was purely and formally rooted in space as a strict matter of magic then it would be stuck in space as the whole planet, solar system, and galaxy spun and it would "fly" at incredible speed relative to our location in an instant.  But no, the enchantment is "intelligent" in that it keeps itself relative to the Earth in a way that is meaningful to sentient beings (because such positioning has no innate meaning in and of itself to an inanimate object)... one elegant way to execute this would be to use gravity and weight as you suggest (and as was suggested by the Red Hulk incident) because it provides a general rule which would accommodate many/most situations. 

To cover some of the exceptions to those situations- for example being wielded in space with reduced gravity or encountering anti-gravitational fields or gravity manipulating powered being (and note that making the hammer absolutely heavy- a black hole- isn't really a solution if, for example, the whole earth was vaporized and it sat there floating in space) you could make a more elaborate rule set for the enchantment particularly ones which take consciousness, will, and intent into account (which the hammer can do in its determination of worthiness) however it becomes fuzzy again with respect to what constitutes "wielding". 

It comes down to how sophisticated magic is with respect to Mjolnir.  If the hammer is "stupid" then perhaps one can be pinned that way (and if it works by enhancing its own gravity- whether actual or merely perceived- crushed that way) but if the hammer is sufficiently "smart" to identify and quantify what constitutes "wielding" then the person should be fine until such a time as they or someone else attempts to wield it. 

Bottom line, until someone writes it into a story and uses it as a technique (much in the way Captain Marvel's magic lightning became weaponized) this is an unlikely result and actually counter-intuitive if you give magical sophistication a fair shake.
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    So where would Hulk fall under that? I seem to recall him actually getting mad enough to move the hammer, not lift, but budge it. I'm sure your reasoning is based on evidence, but what sources or instances in particular? Obviously the Destroyer being able to use it is one, but what else?  "
    I don't think Hulk falls under the category of worthiness. There seems to be several factors in play beyond having good intentions and a good heart.   I named two, and there is at least one more I cannot recall at the moment.  "
    Alright, thanks for explaining. Not sure if I'm quite ready to take your word for it yet, but you did get me thinking. Thanks for that, too. 

@Mainline: That sounds good. Well put.
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dex
    @CosmicSpiral: so...Thor could pretty much beat anyone...Lay the hammer on their chest and then wait until they die.
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @Dex said:

" @CosmicSpiral: so...Thor could pretty much beat anyone...Lay the hammer on their chest and then wait until they die. "

Thor would never do that, and the enchantment would kick in when he starts using it for ignoble purposes.   

@Mainline: Well explained. 
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dex
    @Mainline: well spoken
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Gambit1024

I read somewhere that robots/androids can lift Mjolnir because they aren't people. There ARE ways to lift it (like with cranes and such) but physically lifting it cannot happen unless you're worthy. What Rulk did was really PIS and would never happen. 

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @Dex said:
    " @CosmicSpiral: so...Thor could pretty much beat anyone...Lay the hammer on their chest and then wait until they die. "
    Y'know, if that were the case, then every time he throws it, someone who'd get hit would stay pinned, but that's never been the case. All it does is hit the target, and comes back. 
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrinceIMC

I remember seeing Thor using the worthiness enchantment to pin Hyperion to the ground. I'm trying to remember when it was, I believe it was at the beginning of Avengers vol 3.

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dex
    @PrinceIMC: find that scan =)
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    The Destroyer was able to wield the hammer before. It was plucked out of Thor's grasp by a mechanical arm as well. Mjolnir's enhancement applies to sentient beings only, which is why the first two happened and the Rulk moment is PIS.  "
    No, it's not PIS. Rulk just isn't sentient. heh-heh-heh
    Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @CosmicSpiral said:
    " @NexusOfLight said: 
    No, it's not PIS. Rulk just isn't sentient. heh-heh-heh "

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Decoy Elite: Thank you, thank you; I'm here all week :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.