Can Thor's Hammer be "lifted" in Zero Gravity?

• 79 results
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Last_Guardian

well the thing is in zero gravity you don't have to technically lift anything...so it wasn't lifting at all....it's a loophole...a damn good one too...Red Hulk had been studying Thor for a while before their battlethat's how he knew exactly what to do and ho to defeat Thor..

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Mr. Wilson
Spider-Pantrelli said:
"Mr. Wilson said:
"Spider-Pantrelli said:
"Can the Hulk breathe in space anyway?"

He held his breath in the issue."
But how when he was talking to Thor?"
He wasn't fully in space yet.  Hulks lungs can probably pick up large amounts of oxygen where there isn't much.
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Last_Guardian
Spider-Pantrelli said:
"Mr. Wilson said:
"Spider-Pantrelli said:

they didn't talk in space....during the battle he stopped and said.."okay time for me to hold my breath"
Avatar image for spider_pantrelli
Spider-Pantrelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Spider-Pantrelli

Obi Wan Kenobi! said:

"Spider-Pantrelli said:
"Mr. Wilson said:
"Spider-Pantrelli said:

they didn't talk in space....during the battle he stopped and said.."okay time for me to hold my breath""

Oh... I didn't read so I didn't know.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Thanks, Kenobi.

Ruin Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By Ruin Cross
G~man said:
"I know it's been done.  My question is should it be possible."

YEs it should..........people dont say Galactus couldnt lift it. So what its a red hulk, we are yet to see his limit so how do we know what he can do. He could be one of the most powerful biengs in the world for all we know
Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Mr. Wilson
Ruin Cross said:
"G~man said:
"I know it's been done.  My question is should it be possible."

YEs it should..........people dont say Galactus couldnt lift it. So what its a red hulk, we are yet to see his limit so how do we know what he can do. He could be one of the most powerful biengs in the world for all we know"

Nice point. 
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Erik

It shouldn't be a simple case of physical strength though. It's not like the hammer is just really heavy, it can't be lifted because of the enchantment on it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#59  Edited By gmanfromheck

Yeah, power or strength has nothing to do with it (which is why I mentioned Ben Grimm not being able to lift it).  Even from the scan of Red Hulk using it in space, there was a tiny bit of lightning coming out of it.  I just don't think he should be able to move it, gravity or no.  You'd think an Asgardian enchantment could overcome something simple like gravity.  I mean the hammer can create thunder/lightning, make Thor fly, open portals, etc.  All that defies the natural laws of physics.  Also Odin being an all-powerful god, or rather father of gods, I just don't see him overlooking this.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60  Edited By Erik
G~man said:
"Yeah, power or strength has nothing to do with it (which is why I mentioned Ben Grimm not being able to lift it).  Even from the scan of Red Hulk using it in space, there was a tiny bit of lightning coming out of it.  I just don't think he should be able to move it, gravity or no.  You'd think an Asgardian enchantment could overcome something simple like gravity.  I mean the hammer can create thunder/lightning, make Thor fly, open portals, etc.  All that defies the natural laws of physics.  Also Odin being an all-powerful god, or rather father of gods, I just don't see him overlooking this."

Yes. If a person is unworthy, he should not be able to lift, move, or control it.
Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

In zero gravity it is not needed to be lifted it weighs nothing as anything in zero gravity. So Red Hulk and any other loser would be able to hold it just fine.  However to wield it means more than to just hold it and the enchantments are only able to be used by those worthy so no zero gravity has no effect.  Its all in what part of it you intend to use.  Red hulk didn't gain strength or god hood from Mjolnir but he did use his strength in zero gravity to cause it to hit Thor. Beta Ray Bill instantly became a godling. that is the difference.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#62  Edited By gmanfromheck

I still say Asgardian magic should trump zero gravity.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Slinger
G-Man said:
"I still say Asgardian magic should trump zero gravity."
I agree. Dr. Strange has told Mr. Fantastic over and over again, magic > science.
The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By The_Scourge
Slinger said:
"G-Man said:
"I still say Asgardian magic should trump zero gravity."
I agree. Dr. Strange has told Mr. Fantastic over and over again, magic > science.
"
Yeah well Loeb used science>magic in that case.
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Hawk
G-Man said:
"I still say Asgardian magic should trump zero gravity.
"
I wanna know how they are talking in Space...? O.o? If Hulk can be knocked out by gas.....but hold his breath in space? Do they hear each other? Is the Marvel Space different?
speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By speedlgt

yeah its total crap cause the concept of lifting the hammer is not about lifting at all thats just the fable to the hammer "only thor can lift it" its a simple mans
understanding magic the real issue is that only those worthy can wield it. And thats Thor Bill and SUperman so this was total crap and a plot device so that
rulk could LOOK like he can beat thor.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Valkaad

This is a case of either one or two things and even one of these makes no sense. 1.  Red Hulk  is worthy and the case is closed, or 2. Its horrible horrible writing. As usual with marvel (lately), the answer is bad writing. Red Hulk has not proven himself "worthy" to wield the hammer based upon the original enchantment. Quoted directly from the marvel universe "The first enchanment is that no living being can lift the hammer from the ground unless he or she is worthy. Provisions to that enchanment require that there can be but one worthy wielder of  the hammer at a given time, and the current wielder must be bested in fair combat by a worthy contestant in order for that contestant to win it."   Even if the writer feels that the Red Hulk is worthy, he hasn't beaten Thor in combat yet and therefore could not wield the hammer. Even without the fair combat provision, gravity or lack of gravity would not come in to play with an enchantment as powerful as this Odin's.  The thought that with odin gone the enchanment no longer works is ludicrous. If that were the case, then none of the enchanments would work and ANYONE gravity or not could pick up the hammer, the hammer would not return to thor when thrown, the hammer wouldn't summon the elements of the storm and the hammer would not be able to open dimensional portals. Therefore the only logical answer (yeah throwing logic in when talking about comics is not always wise) is BAD WRITING.  

Avatar image for stormamazonpheonix
StormAmazonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rulk is strong enough to lift whateva he damn well pleases. Case closed 

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Valkaad
StormAmazonPheonix said:
"Rulk is strong enough to lift whateva he damn well pleases. Case closed "

If you think that lifting Thor's hammer only requires great strength you are sadly mistaken. Let me guess, you think the Surfer loses his powers when he is off his board too.
Avatar image for stormamazonpheonix
StormAmazonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, but it sounds as if you're presuming to tell me what I know. I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It should in no way, shape or form be possible.  This is just another example of Loeb's insanity in the wake of his son's death.  He clearly couldn't care less about established character lore, and instead is doing whatever he feels like.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Valkaad
StormAmazonPheonix said:
"

I'm sorry, but it sounds as if you're presuming to tell me what I know. I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.

"

Apology accepted. Just try not to be wrong next time.
darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By darth_fletcher

its possible because jeph loeb is a f*cking tool who needs sacking for disgracing every single comic hes ever writing!!!
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By AtPhantom

I don't know guys, as bad as the series is, I really don't see much of a problem with the loop hole.  Thor's hammer works by clamping to the ground when an unworthy person grasps it. Remove the ground and you remove this restriction. It's not like Rulk actually used the hammer's powers or anything...

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Precise

I still think you should be able to grasp it in space but not swing it or drag it with you. And it's completely ridiculous that there was lightning coming off when Red Hulk used it to smack Thor around.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By AtPhantom
@Precise said:
" I still think you should be able to grasp it in space but not swing it or drag it with you. And it's completely ridiculous that there was lightning coming off when Red Hulk used it to smack Thor around. "
I forgot that part, but yeah, that was completely retarded.
darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By darth_fletcher

loeb is retarded!!!
RageofAngels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By RageofAngels

Jeph Loeb is smoking crack...that never ever should have happened and woe to marvel editors for letting that slide!!!!!!

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By NerdsFTW

@G-Man:

Lifting thor's hammer has nothing to do with strength, only those who are worthy can lift it.

No Caption Provided

Avengers #122: The enchantment actually requires the presence of gravity. Here, Ironman picks it up in zero gravity, but once he starts heading towards Earth, the enchantment takes affect.

Hulk #5: This is the only reason as to how Rulk lifted mjolnir(because it was in space).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.