Follow

Miles Morales

Character » Miles Morales appears in 1193 issues.

Originally created in the Ultimate Universe, this version of Spider-Man is a 16 year old kid named Miles Morales from Brooklyn who takes on the Spider-Man identity after Peter Parker's death. Miles discovers spider powers of his own after he was bitten by a spider 11 months before Peter's death, and uses these powers to be the best superhero he can be. Currently, Miles lives in the main Marvel Universe and is a member of the Champions.

Miles Morales: The True Superior Spider-Man?

Saranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Saranth

The original blog can be found here: http://razingthethirdwall.wordpress.com/

Mention the word Spider-Man in these parts and you’ll be subject to a rainbow of opinion regarding the events of Peter Parker’s Freaky Friday sequel, Dying Wish; there’s no pot of gold at the end, though, just a lot of tears and ruined childhoods. Amidst the hype and excitement regarding Otto Octavius’ debut as the new superior, and a tad sociopathic, Spider-Man, it is easy to forget that Bendis’ own Spider-Man, written under Marvel’s Ultimate imprint, has been humming away quite nicely in the background. He’s overcome family crises, saved the life of a president and had the nerve to check out giant-girl’s boobs; is Miles Morales the true Superior Spider-Man?

-Those- are big…

This is a superhero book, and superheroes are defined by their powers. Miles is no different, but has a skill-set that’s a pretty big improvement on Peter’s traditional array of talents. Taking cues from Peter’s powers, which were proportionate to those of a spider, Bendis has equipped Miles with spider-powers from some of the more obscure corners of the arachnid family tree. These new powers take the form of a powerful venom strike and, perhaps less strangely to anyone who doesn’t study spiders, an ability to blend in with his surroundings; he can effectively become invisible. Coupled with that, he has Peter’s proportional strength and agility of a spider, his spider-sense, and, as of issue 14, a pair of Peter’s web-shooters. It’s therefore, if you ask me, a no-brainer; Miles’ powers, borne of Norman Osborne’s weird experiments on spiders, are an improvement upon those of the original Spider-Man.

The Amazing Hollow Man, written by Kevin Bacon.

Time is on my side, sang the Rolling Stones, and the same rings true for Miles. He’s squished the Scorpion, punished the Prowler, grappled with Giant Girl, wrangled with the Rhino and united the Ultimates… and he’s thirteen! Not only has he obtained his powers at such a young age, and not only has he achieved all manner of wondrous feats already, but he is now to be trained by Captain America. I’d say that he’s got an awful lot going for him, and an awful lot of time to hone his talents. Peter Parker was without martial training, and received his powers later than Miles; Otto Octavius is reliant on Parker’s muscle memory. In terms of prowess in combat, Miles may end up with the upper hand. ‘But what about right now?!’, I hear you cry. It’s true, Miles is nowhere near the superior fighter at the moment, but it has been suggested that there will be a time-jump associated with the up-coming Spider-Man No More story-line. An older, stronger Miles might well end up thwipping across our pages sooner than anticipated.

Poor Jessica Drew.

Spider-Man has long been associated with crazy tech’ and superb sci-fi, from Horizon Labs to Spider-Bots or that Space Marine-esque suit from Ends of the Earth; Peter Parker’s, and recently Otto Octavius’, genius is a staple of the series. Miles Morales is no genius. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a sharp kid, but he is not a scientist. Does that make him the inferior Spider-Man? It’s possible, but I’m not so sure. Firstly, we’ve seen Aunt May pass down Peter’s web-shooters and the formula for his web-fluid; these are the two most important pieces of any Spider-Man’s tech’ arsenal. He may not have Peter’s brain, but with these tools, and with Tony Stark sticking up for him in the Ultimates, Miles may find a way to circumvent the issue.

For the Empero- I mean, Avengers Assemble!

Ultimate Peter Parker had experience, as did the Peter Parker of the 616 universe; the latter’s experiences are now in the hands of Otto Octavius’ Spider-Man. Miles, it could be argued, is therefore at a disadvantage; he doesn’t know who these villains are, and he’s never fought them before! Maybe he should just quit, right? Wrong! In this tech’-savvy society in which we live, people have taken to recording Ultimate Peter Parker’s fights to YouTube. As seen in various issues, and most recently in Miles’ conflict with Venom, Miles has studied these tapes and effectively managed to imitate Peter’s approach to besting the individual villains. This might not be quite as good as having a memory of previous battles, but at least he won’t have as many scars.

Venom… have you been drinking again?

So, why am I writing this? Why is it relevant? The Superior Spider-Man is in the 616 universe, and Miles operates under the Ultimate imprint. Well, firstly, because it’s cool. Who doesn’t want to compare a pair of Spider-Men? Secondly, as we saw in the limited series, Spider-Men, Marvel seem to have developed a propensity towards crossing characters between universes for the sake of a good story. With a Spider-Men 2 already confirmed by Bendis, it will be interesting to take an older, stronger Miles, with his unique power-set, into Peter Parker’s world and see how he fares when he is no longer a wide-eyed newcomer to the superhero scene. It may well still be Otto under that mask, in which case this study becomes even more relevant!

This has better not be another -Clone Saga-.

Ultimately (Geddit?), though Miles lacks Peter’s practiced wit, pretty girlfriends, experiences and brilliant mind (Is that all?), he is, in my opinion, the superior Spider-Man. Not yet, I stress, but with his powers, his age and his mentor(s) taken into account, he has the potential to make a lasting impact in whichever universe he may end up. Long live Ultimate Spider-Man, long live Miles Morales.

What do you, the people of ComicVine, think?

Vermoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vermoot

Amen.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RedQueen

Hey, don't you have deadlines soon? :p

Well, I completely agree with this. Miles Morales is a great character.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

No

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By akbogert

With Great Potential, Comes Great Superiority, eh?

I do need to learn more about Miles. I'll admit, I'm in the "Peter Parker will always be Spider-Man" camp (and I'll always be upset seeing him with someone other than MJ, for that matter), but liking one character isn't a reason to dislike another one. Nice blog ^_^

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twentyfive

That was an awesome post.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By SavageDragon

Nicely done man.

I love Miles and I love Ultimate Comics Spider as a book even more. I read in trade so I'm way behind but it's ethier my favorite Marvel title or my seconf favorite. Seriously Bendis just understands Spiderman Morales and Parker, and just knows how to craft a brilliant book.

Miles is actually really powerful and with time could be one of the most powerful heroes in the Ultimate Universe.

Saranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Saranth

Thanks folks, I appreciate the feed-back. I'm very much looking forward to Spider-Men Two; with Peter Parker largely side-lined in both universes, it'll be great to see how Miles Morales deals with the heroic spotlight. My only real qualm with the series was the death of the Prowler. I get that it was supposed to be his 'with great power...' moment, but I felt that his uncle's continued presence would've been a nice plot device to have around.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Captain13

Awesome post!

Worth mentioning is that Peter and Miles will probably be two different kinds of Spider-Man.

Peter's main influences are Captain America (nobility/leadership/morality) and Iron Man (Science and Jokes). He's clearly a middle ground between these two heroes. He's the science Spider-Man. It's even shown in his family background because his dad is a scientist.

Miles's main influences are Captain America (nobility/leadership/morality) and Nick Fury (Black Ops/Spy-Work/Jokes). He's the middle ground between these two heroes. He's the spy Spider-Man. It's shown in his family background because his dad and uncle were thieves. Furthermore, he's joined an elite military organization at the age of 13 where he will no doubt get some advanced training and be sent on covert missions. He'll be the superior Spider-man and the superior spy. I would love to see him lead S.H.I.E.L.D. some day. He could save the world, then quietly celebrate on the streets of Paris with some fine wine and a fine woman.

3D_Dedrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By 3D_Dedrick

i am optimistic about the time skip but i am also worried that their just going to make him a gritty reboot whose out for blood and make me lose all faith in comics.

I wish that they wouldn't do a time skip only because i would rather see miles take down some more peter villans first so that we, the readers can see how he fought the badies back then and how he will fight them in a time skip.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Strider1992

To be honest as heretical as it sounds I prefer Superior to Miles. Yost is writing him like a boss in Avenging. Having said that though.

Kaine>>>every other current Spider-themed hero.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like him at first, he was a joke to me. So peter dies due to a lack of experience, and Nick acknowledges this, but then proceeds to give someone else with even less experience a suit and little to no supervision. Yeah ok.

I over all love the comic have every issue day one, but some of the earlier issues bug me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.