Follow

Midnighter

Character » Midnighter appears in 436 issues.

Midnighter is an augmented hero with superhuman physical abilities and the power to run through thousands of fight scenarios in his head before a single punch is thrown. Although he's one of the good guys, Midnighter enjoys violence and brutality and never feels more alive than when he's in the middle of a bloody brawl.

Midnighter: Love him or Hate him?

• 68 results
    Avatar image for charmcitycomics
    CharmCityComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CharmCityComics

Midnighter is friggin awesome!!! Read Garth Ennis' run on Midnighter and Authority World's End
    ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ComicStooge

I sorta' like him...
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Love him no homo

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By sexy_merc

Hate him

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Ebbm

I just finished reading Warren Ellis's run on the Authority and immediately started to like the character. I just started reading Killing Machine and am kind of put off by how much more violent he is, but its Ennis so I guess I should expect that. I really don't like the beginning "I'm not a lover...etc". He didn't come off that way in the Authority at all.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ThexX

Midnighter Awesome

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Chaos Prime

Honestly imo hes up there in the top 20 comicbook characters of the past few years.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Hyperlight

I personally dont like him... Im a big fan of power levels and the authority is a very powerful group. They are all jackasses though. you dont need to be perfect but they have a lot of problems.

midnighter is given too much credit as a character. that battle computer should only be able to do so much against someone whos physical abilities far outclass him.

BulletTimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a pretty interesting character, but I find his arrogant attitude a little grating

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's my bae

ThePulpMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only read one comic that have him and Grifter, he was cool but just it... Grifter was far cooler.

BulletTimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a pretty interesting character, but I find his arrogant attitude a little grating

Actually, scratch that. He's an overpowered murderer with a hyped-up rep and an annoying fanbase, a relic of 90s "badass" superheroes, a glib portmanteau of Batman and Wolverine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullettimer: What sparked this post?

I'd say Midnighter's rep is earned, considering he is indeed overpowered, which was appropriate for the comics he was initially featured in(Stormwatch/The Authority). He's not any more or less shallow than Bats or Wolvie, nor is he all that similar in character. He simply has the lovely distinction of being unapologetically gay.

Also, where is this fanbase you speak of? lol

BulletTimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@bullettimer: What sparked this post?

I'd say Midnighter's rep is earned, considering he is indeed overpowered, which was appropriate for the comics he was initially featured in(Stormwatch/The Authority). He's not any more or less shallow than Bats or Wolvie, nor is he all that similar in character. He simply has the lovely distinction of being unapologetically gay.

Also, where is this fanbase you speak of? lol

I just don't like the way he's written, these days. He's very unsympathetic, mostly because of the combination of holier-than-thou attitude and the fact that he's constantly written as an unrepentant murderer, yet we should cheer for him.

Back in Wildstorm days he wasn't so bad, I actually liked him, he was entertaining to read about and his OP abilities were written well, and he had a good anti-hero vibe going. Warren Ellis would give him a challenge when it came to fights, he'd play his role well, etc. But these days, his characterisation is very flat and bland, in my opinion. He's a boorish serial killer, which is hardly something I want to read about.

And the fanbase is on the frickin battle board, where people say he can give Hulk, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, a dozen street levellers at the same time, etc. a good fight. I mean, seriously? Midnighterwankery is some of the worst circlejerking I've seen on that board.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I personally love him. I really like how his violent methods are sort of against your typical hero and his personality really sells this for me. Also really like his powerset. Most seem to think he is OP, but I think they are cool and interesting. They lead to some interesting fights and cool art pages. He's one of my favorite heroes. Im really surprised to see so much hate for him.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good when his supersoldier side is shown.
    Bad when his gay side is shown.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked The Authority, and Midnighter, and the Midnighter/Apollo pairing up until Jenny Sparks died. I still read the book for awhile, but it steadily went down hill from there. For one thing, they used Midnighter's powers creatively back then.

Then needed a way to take out Gamorra Island..Midnighter couldn't figure out how to do it until almost the last second. He made the Ship solid and parked it right on top of Gamorra and saved the day.

When the "Avengers" rip offs were attacking Jenny Quantum, and the "Iron Man" was about to kill Midnighter and lil baby Jenny, and there was no way Midnighter could fight AND save the baby? He TALKED to the guy, broke him down psychologically, sent him off crying and trying to find a new purpose in his life. Plus, yes...he was also the bad ass killing machine thing too, which was cool. However, even when they fought what's his name Seth, and Seth was wrecking them Midnighter got creative and hit him with a jet fighter through a Ship "door". Anyone see THAT cool ass Midnighter around anymore?

GeekMangacomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Midnighter is in my top ten.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.