Follow

Metallo

Character » Metallo appears in 468 issues.

He is an invulnerable cyborg with superhuman strength who uses his Kryptonite power source against Superman, therefore, making him a dangerous foe.

Did the original idea for Iron Man come from DC’s Metallo?

• 74 results
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MTHarman

@ThomasElliot: I write many things, and for some reason I enjoy writing anything related to comics. Rather this blog was pointless, futile, or a complete waste of time....... I could really careless because it was something that I stumbled upon when making a video and decided to add along with my video.

I also write other stuff besides possible Rip-Offs, mostly scripts.

@SupremeHyperion: Very few, but what interests me the most about Rip-Offs and inspirations is rather a character was nothing more than a mere copy and paste with very little difference.

KidNexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By KidNexus

Actually, I'm pretty convinced Stan's Iron Man concept was "influenced" substantially by the tech described in Robert Heinlein's seminal science-fiction novel, Starship Troopers. (Note: The 1997 feature film and subsequent DTV sequels didn't accurately adapt the source material in terms of weaponry and technology.)

Grand Master Heinlein serialized the 1959 story as "Starship Soldier" in The Magazine Of Fantasy & Science Fiction before expanding to novel length and retitling as Starship Troopers, which won the 1960 Hugo Award.

Heinlein's descriptions of the battle gear used by the future soldiers bears an uncanny resemblance to Iron Man. Difficult to believe Stan wasn't familiar with Heinlein.

Although there are obvious similarities with Metallo, reading Starship Troopers suggests Heinlein had a much larger influence on the development of Iron Man.

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#53  Edited By kartron

Very interesting observation! I had no idea that some character by name Metalo exists!!

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By shackle

I'd say the most obvious and most logical inspiration for Iron Man is the suits of armor worn by knights. You know, a man in a suit of armor. That should be self-evident; it doesn't take a genius to draw that conclusion. Duh. Anything else is convoluted speculation.

user1mame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By user1mame

i second

Avatar image for draketheslaughter
    DraketheSlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sinestro_GL: O__O really

chaloy82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By chaloy82

Intresting theory you got , i never thought about it like that , always thought of tony stark as an original twist for batman but with the points you make i can see the whole metallo-ironman theory being a possibility. However if Stan Lee ever got inspiration from the competition i think he made sure that it wasn't extremely obvious that it was a knock off . I think now in days we see that more with characters from newer publishers for example image just to mention one .

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By sethysquare

Makes sense.

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By KMART4455

Iron Man should really be able to beat down metallo

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By wdchefdave

Nobody has mentioned the TONS of pulp magazines that could and have influenced comic book characters... The Black Bat/Batman... The Spider/Spider-man... and I know I saw more than a few "men in metal suits" on the covers of the old pulps.

Sometimes a "rip-off" is obvious... but, when you fall into such a deep pool of creativity... ya never know what might stick to you.

Doc Savage alone fought swamp creatures, metal men, and men/women with enhanced human abilities.

Wonder what Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were doing in those days?!?

Seafarinhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Seafarinhare

Huh. I had no idea that version of Metallo existed. It is interesting to think that Stan Lee may have borrowed from Golden Age Metalo for Iron Man, and now HE is the quintessential man in a metal suit. Although I really kinda doubt it.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jobbernos

yes.

confirukia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By confirukia

really dont know,but alot of marvels character were originated by some of the dc characters.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By lilben42

Typical Marvel haha jk

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

Interesting read. I'd like to see more articles like this.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By LordRequiem

Metallo is now just an iteration of the almighty Cyborg Superman.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#67  Edited By amazing_webhead

Does anyone else so want to see Metallo vs Iron Man now?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

A guy with a robot suit. Such a unique idea. How could more then one person come up with it? I mean it's not like Japan had anything that could have helped inspire Ironman years before...oh wait...

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ADAMocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtharman: So anyone who disagrees with you makes them a troll right? Now I have to ask, are you the one that is upset? Because the other guy clearly said he wasn't gonna comment anymore but yet you felt the need to reply to him. Sooo why waste the time of making such a long comment. Do you not have anything else to do with your life?

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#72  Edited By MTHarman

@teerack:

Confession: I was bored and wanted to write something, found it when stumbling upon a picture where Metallo looked remarkably like Tony Stark.

Of course it's poor evidence to prove that Iron Man was inspired from Metallo, but a wonderful and playful topic to bring up. Sadly it seems that the RIP-OFF concept is quite frowned upon on here by quite a few.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sure there is a long list of Marvel ripping off DC.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Well, to be honest, most popular super-heroes are inspired by other characters.

Batman was inspired by Zoro, Superman was inspired by Tarzan as well as a fanzine character called the Super-Man who was supposed to be a bald telepathic madman (also written by Siegel), I think even Spider-Man was inspired by a pulp fiction character called the Spider. So I wouldn't be surprised, as there are some obvious similarities (though I think the resemblance between Tony Stark and Corben is pure coincidence). Nice observation though, and it's nice to learn a few things.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gambit1024: not inspire marvel steals way to much from dc they take a bunch of dc ideas

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

@laserlambert: Doom patrol had the whole mutant outsider to society crap going before the X-Men so get over it.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@crimsonalchemist: Doom Patrol beat X-Men by like 3 months. Doom Patrol is way better than X-Men IMO mainly because they actually feel like they are rejects of the superhero and because DC doesn't go overboard with them so when we do see the Doom Patrol it's actually pretty cool and not overdone.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woulden't be the first time nor the last.

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@anjales said:

Well, to be honest, most popular super-heroes are inspired by other characters.

Batman was inspired by Zoro, Superman was inspired by Tarzan as well as a fanzine character called the Super-Man who was supposed to be a bald telepathic madman (also written by Siegel), I think even Spider-Man was inspired by a pulp fiction character called the Spider. So I wouldn't be surprised, as there are some obvious similarities (though I think the resemblance between Tony Stark and Corben is pure coincidence). Nice observation though, and it's nice to learn a few things.

No Caption Provided

Batman was also inspired by a 1926 movie called The Bat, Bob Kane was a big film buff.

Lone_Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the original idea for The Punisher, came from the The Batman....... seriously.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#81  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@anjales: The Super-Man was Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster testing the character of Superman actually. I don't consider that a rip off really.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shackle said:

I'd say the most obvious and most logical inspiration for Iron Man is the suits of armor worn by knights. You know, a man in a suit of armor. That should be self-evident; it doesn't take a genius to draw that conclusion. Duh. Anything else is convoluted speculation.

amathur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By amathur

@supremehyperion: That's the point I was thinking: nothing is fully original, everything has a little "touch" from other characters from movies, series and other comics. The hard work is to make something that is not a rip off and that is good enough! Not only for comics, but for tv shows, movies, songs, etc.

Debelindzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserlambert: But your argument sinks because Robotman was made in 1949....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.