Space Sector: 586
Sector Partner: Unknown
Homeworld: J586 Predecessor: Jothra
Medphyll is one of the first members recruited by the Guardians of the Universe and comes from the plant world J586, a world where plants are the dominant life form. As a sentient plant with a very unique biology, he gains nourishment through photosynthesis and life from his "Mind Stalks" that lie on top of his head. These "Mind Stalks" are Medphyll's only vital organ.
He first met Hal Jordan during a Green Lantern conference on the planet Yquem. He is an accomplished Green Lantern, having served in the war against Krona and Nekron, and as one of the almost one hundred Green Lanterns who invaded the anti-matter universe of Qward to destroy the Anti-Green Lantern Corps.
As a vegetable-based life form, Medphyll is extremely sensitive to cold. He had great difficulty on an icy world that had yellow snowfall. The Green Lantern had pursued a murdering band of pirates to this unnamed world.
There, the pirates slaughtered the natives and took a young child hostage. The yellow snowflakes would fall through Medphyll's emerald shield, causing excruciating pain upon touch. Dodging the pirates' laser blasts, the Green Lantern waited until they had uncovered the soil beneath the snow. Medphyll then burrowed under their position to capture them.
Medphyll was active during the so-called Crisis on Infinite Earths. Before the Guardians of the Universe left our plane of existence, he and KT21 were assigned to apprehend Plasma Fig, the killer of Sandro Batorn of Twen. Medphyll then returned to his homeworld.
Shortly after his mentor Jothra died, Medphyll was called upon to save the populace of J586. The world was apparently attacked by an alien life force which caused the sentient vegetation of J586 to merge into one horrific being. Medphyll would later discover that it was the plant elemental from Earth, the Swamp Thing.
Torn from the Earth, the Swamp Thing had been wandering the cosmos, searching for a way to return home. He had been given information by Adam Strange on Rann to seek help on J586. The Swamp Thing had not realized this world's plant life was already sentient. After forming a body from the people of J586, he was unable to extract himself from the chaos of the alien personalities.
The Green Lantern tried to cut through the horror, but that sliced apart dozens of innocents. Restraining the horror caused it to fall on more victims.
Medphyll tried a different approach. He used his ring's verdant light in a strobing optic display, modulating at a frequency of nineteen cycles per second which transfixed the creature. He was then able to untangle each soul from the now calmed mass.
All that remained was the horror's soul, electrical energies in a jade glass jar. The Green Lantern took this back to his metal cave.
Medphyll offered to help the Swamp Thing return to Earth by showing the Earth Elemental how to modulate the vibrational rate of his bio-field, although this would take time. The Swamp Thing was reluctant to remain without a form of vegetation to inhabit. It was with mixed feelings Medphyll offered the stilled body of Jothra.
During the days, the two would walk through the Lizard Gardens of J586. By night in Medphyll's cavern of lamps, the Swamp Thing would observe the feedback images of his wave patterns to learn to control the changes.
Finally, the night came when Swamp Thing was ready to leave. He was confident of his ability to modify his wavelength to return home. Medphyll thanked the Swamp Thing for the chance to come to terms with his grief, a chance to say good bye to Jothra, but it was too late. The Swamp Thing was gone, and Jothra was unmoving once more.
Prior to the Alien Alliance's invasion of Earth, Medphyll attempted to warn the Omega Men and Earth of the Dominators' plans. He was intercepted by a Khund Battle Wagon, and fired upon. It is assumed Medphyll was captured by the Khunds, rather than killed. Presumably, he escaped from the Starlag prison during the mass breakout devised by Vril Dox II.
Medphyll later joined The Darkstars until that group was destroyed and disbanded. Following the resurrection of the Corps, Medphyll was re-enlisted and serves as a veteran presence. Despite the actions of a Parallax-possessed Hal Jordan, Medphyll still considered the Green Lantern of Earth as one of the universe's greatest protectors.
Currently Medphyll has appeared in the crossover Rotworld. He became the Lantern of sector 2814 when the Rot started attacking because of his connection to the Green. The Rot battled Earth's heroes and they lost. Medphyll was the only hope but, when the Guardians saw that the Rot was too strong they barricaded Earth and Medphyll ended up locked there. He then went to the subways to hide because he couldn't defeat the Rot by himself until he was found by Animal Man, John Constantine and Beast Boy.They freed him and took him to his Power Battery, housed in the broken Daily Planet dome, where he charged his ring and got ready for the final battle with Arcane and the Rot.
He was later decapitated by a small, flying rot creature. His ring was then transferred to Frankenstein.
Medphyll, like many others, have their own oaths they recite to charge their rings. Medphyll's goes as followed:
"In Forest Dark Or Glade Beferned,
No Blade Of Grass Shall Go Unturned,
Let Those Who Have The Daylight Spurned,
Tread Not Where This Green Lamp Has Burned!"
Powers, Abilities, Weaknesses, and Characteristics
Medphyll is the wielder of a Green Lantern Power Ring which enables him to accomplish a variety of effects. The Green Lantern Ring allows Medphyll to manipulate its energies through the use of willpower.
The Green Lantern Ring gives Medphyll the following abilities:
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Transforming: The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes (Barry and Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow (through the use of x-rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns.
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.
Log in to comment