turoksonofstone's Maximortal #1 review

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
  • turoksonofstone wrote this review on .
  • turoksonofstone has written a total of 18 reviews. The last one was for

Cheek, Chin, Knuckle, or Knee

Maximortal by Rick Veitch is the story of True-Man, an alien with a strangely familiar origin and set of powers. Though reminiscent of Superman, True-man has a very different disposition than Clark.

The Story:
  The story opens in Tungus Siberia in 1908, a lone soldier rides his horse through the debris from what seems to be a meteorite seeing many dead animals and trees  in flattened patterns he is in awe..
While exploring he comes across an unearthed Woolly Mammoth and becomes mesmerized.
Seconds later he is attacked by a Huge Nude Muscular Flying Woman. Displaying Super-speed she Incinerates his Clothes and Hair and Rapes Him. Leaving him barely alive.
Seconds later she lays an Egg..
and heaves it into Orbit. All while the dying man looks on.
Next She turns into a Man and flies off.
We are then introduced to Meryl Winston and George Winston a childless couple. Meryl claims an angel has been visiting her..
What the couple find is NOT a baby.
Meryl convinces George the Angel has blessed them.
Taking the "Egg" the new Family heads home.
Many unusual aspects of the "child" are soon noticed..
During a Diaper change things get Ugly..
George begins to realize he may have bitten off more than he can chew.
At this time George and Meryl begin to realize the Egg has a distinct effect on Wesley..
Alas, too late. Wesley realizes it too..
Wesley decides to have George take him away from the Egg...
The story ends with the "Angel" responding to Meryl's pleas..
Then to sum it up we get the one page "Spiegal and Shumacher " version.
The Good:
I had no Idea where this story was going or would go when I first read it and that was it's biggest appeal. Outside the box writing.Veitch is underrated.

The Bad:
   The main stories Art made me wish Tim Truman had drawn it instead. Though I enjoyed the retro stories Art quite a bit.

The Verdict 4.5/5:
  This is a really awesome series, it also includes several "Rare Bit Fiends" Illustrated dreams of Rick Veitch.I recommended this to anyone who is tired of the Marvel/DC "Soap Opera" style of circular stories. Great Stuff.