Follow

Maxima

Character » Maxima appears in 239 issues.

Warrior Queen of Almerac, she has been enemy and ally of Superman and his family. Most recently she has joined the United Planets Superwatch.

MAYBE ITS BEEN SAID VOL1

maxima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maxima

maybe its been said before but i just have to say it anyway.WHY WAS MAXIMA KILLED OFF OF ALL PEOPLE!!? WHY IS SHE RANKED SO LOW ON HERE IN THE POWER RANK!!!? IS IT BASED ON FAVORITES? AND WHY WASNT SHE IN BLACKEST NIGHT!!!? but honestly why is maxima so unappreciated? i mean she did whip supes on numerous occasions,go toe to toe with doomsday and survive and actually fairing better than darkseid vs the beast which is impressive indeed.with a whole catalog full of abilities and a royal sense of character why was she booted and and nearly forgotten by her creators?maxima would have made quite the black lantern and quite a member in birds of prey.please coomment :)
    Switchdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Switchdoctor

Easy tiger.

Most people who are in the know about her realize that she's probably not dead.  I mean hell, there was no body at the end of Our Worlds at War.  In addition, we're talking about an alien who can teleport, and often pulls the Queen Amidala trick by using decoys because of how high profile she's supposed to be.  That's probably why she wasn't in Blackest Night.  I really can't picture her being on Birds of Prey, as she'd probably just consider it a complete waste of time.

Also, Kurt Busiek revealed during his exit interview that he had plans to do a Maxima story. 

I'm sure that DC hasn't forgotten about her.  She did just turn up in Smallville after all.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#3  Edited By Liberty

I am also ticked about her being gone so long.  Her last stories in Extreme Justice were not that great.  I mean a romance with Amazing Man.  Ridicules.  She was becoming one dimensional and it didn't fit.  It was as if she was settling.  I don't see that for her.  She is a powerful woman whop was fast becoming a "I've got to get me a man" girl.  She needs to rule and be a warrior.  She is one of my very favorite characters.

maxima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By maxima
    @Switchdoctor:
    i surely hope ypur right. but what about the low power rank? and is it based on favorites ?
    maxima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maxima
    @Liberty:
    shes one of my favs also. no particular order... maxima , ww( diana), barda, supergirl( kara), ms martian, catwoman. but to stay on topic i really hope shes brought back otherwise what a waste
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liberty
    @maxima: 

I agree that she should be brought back and yes the power ranking is a popularity contest.  I think people just pick the guy they know better.
    Switchdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Switchdoctor
    @Liberty said:
    " I am also ticked about her being gone so long.  Her last stories in Extreme Justice were not that great.  I mean a romance with Amazing Man.  Ridicules.  She was becoming one dimensional and it didn't fit.  It was as if she was settling.  I don't see that for her.  She is a powerful woman whop was fast becoming a "I've got to get me a man" girl.  She needs to rule and be a warrior.  She is one of my very favorite characters. "
    I actually thought that Extreme Justice No. 17 and 18 had some good superhero story elements in them with obscure characters.  The artwork was rather uneven though.  For example, the colorists kept screwing up Maxima's costume.  (Just like in that Amazing Man Maxima cover that you dug up)
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Liberty
    @Switchdoctor: 
     Extreme Justice had just about all of my favorite superheores and yet I did not like the book at all.  There was a small spot here and there that was good but for the most part it was awful art, coloring and writing.  I think that is what killed the careers of guys like Booster, Blue Beetle and Maxima in the Justice League.  Once Ice was killed in justice League America and they separated the leagues again the writing for the hero's changed dramatically and it was far less appealing.  It was inevitable that characters like Maxima, Blue Beetle, and Crimson Fox would eventually come to an end. 
    Switchdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Switchdoctor
    @Liberty said:
    " @Switchdoctor:   Extreme Justice had just about all of my favorite superheores and yet I did not like the book at all.  There was a small spot here and there that was good but for the most part it was awful art, coloring and writing.  I think that is what killed the careers of guys like Booster, Blue Beetle and Maxima in the Justice League.  Once Ice was killed in justice League America and they separated the leagues again the writing for the hero's changed dramatically and it was far less appealing.  It was inevitable that characters like Maxima, Blue Beetle, and Crimson Fox would eventually come to an end.  "
    True.  I did like seeing Wonder Woman, and Captain Atom having their own teams though when there was the split.  I can see how the death of Superman would mellow out Maxima, and make her play nice with Diana for a bit, but there's no way that pairing was going to last.  What's more is that WW couldn't even fly back then and had to rely on Maxima to carry her around, but when it was clutch time, the writers often made Maxima choke somehow on the level of a gas station exploding so that Diana could shine.  Anyways, much more interesting to see Maxima clashing with WW and her group anyways.  The problem was what you mentioned though.  The art got progressively bad as the series went on, but what's worse is that it started out by trying to ape Rob Liefield's X-Force art to begin with.

Personally, if they brought Maxima back, I'd really be interested to see how she'd interact with Maxwell Lord.  Looking back on their history together in JLA, and knowing now that both of them are powerful telepaths, you can't help but wonder.  How much did Maxima know about Maxwell Lord's scheming?  Did she care?  Did his plans somehow dovetail into hers with bagging Superman?  It kind of made sense for J'onn to be oblivious at the time with the whole Bloodwynd thing, and the fact that he doesn't (or can't) invade peoples' private thoughts, but Maxima has never had any of those inhibitions.
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Liberty
    @Switchdoctor: 

I love the way you think, and you are dead on!!!!   How cool would it be to see Maxima show up in the Justice League: Generation Lost.  As you said she would be intriguing to the story and she was on the league while Booster, Beetle, Ice and Fire were and.  She was on Captain Atom's team as well.   She would really make the book even better that it already is (If done correctly and being true to her character.)  I like her bordering between being a "good guy / bad guy".  I would hate to see her go too far either way.  She is/was the leader of her own planet and bound by her own rules.
    Switchdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Switchdoctor
    @Liberty: So.  I'm all caught up with Generation Lost now.  Thanks for the recommendation of sorts.  My interest was piqued somewhat also when someone mistakenly tagged Maxima in Splitting the Atom.  Great issue by the way.  At this point, I think Winick has dealt with the 'telepath problem' so that he can tell the story he wants to tell with that particular group.  At least for the moment.  Considering the girls' talk about how J'onn was off-planet, but still had no idea about the Maxwell Lord situation is the latest example of this.  It would be cool to see Maxima pop up, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Liberty

I will hold mine because I am hopelessly a big fan.  If I didn't I would be too afraid it wouldn't work.  Besides this is so close to my ultimate Justice League I feel I can't go wrong.  Check out my Ultimate Justice League List to see what I mean.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Liberty: I never really understood what was Supes problem with giving Max a kid? Just give her you're DNA dude. She'll just mix it with her's and badaboom.
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Liberty
    @Primmaster64:  He would have made a better villain than Superboy-Prime.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Liberty: The kid?
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Liberty

Yeah, I figure with Maxima as a mom and a missing dad the writers would make him a bad guy.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Liberty: The dad would be Supes...cool idea. A rogue son.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Kairan1979

I think I'd like the appearance of Maxima as possible love interest for older Superman in Batman Beyond comic book.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Kairan1979 said:
    I think I'd like the appearance of Maxima as possible love interest for older Superman in Batman Beyond comic book.
    O_O...not bad...but that's earth-12.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.