Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Why Doesn't Marvel Make Animated Movies Like Dc Does?

Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Djinn

I personally enjoy Marvel a lot more than Dc but marvel do not come out with as many cartoon movies as Dc. Im sure Marvel Has the money but what is the reason for not doing it?

_Courage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By _Courage_

They're dumb :P 
    Haha kidding. They make the occasional one.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

They do. They're just not as enjoyable. Keep in mind they also have a line of anime and animated series coming along with their Avengers franchise running. So its not for nothin'.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Thor's hammmer

They do just not as often
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MrDirector786

There was actually a thread made about this a few months ago. I'll link it if I find it. I remember the title was something like "Why are DC's animated movies better than Marvel's"

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MrDirector786
    @Djinn said:
    " I personally enjoy Marvel a lot more than Dc but marvel do not come out with as many cartoon movies as Dc. Im sure Marvel Has the money but what is the reason for not doing it? "
    Simple answer: they have the money, but they don't want to spend it. Marvel has gone to the point where money is more important than quality.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NightFang3
    @MrDirector786 said: 
    Simple answer: they have the money, but they don't want to spend it. Marvel has gone to the point where money is more important than quality. "
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @MrDirector786 said:
    " @Djinn said:
    " I personally enjoy Marvel a lot more than Dc but marvel do not come out with as many cartoon movies as Dc. Im sure Marvel Has the money but what is the reason for not doing it? "
    Simple answer: they have the money, but they don't want to spend it. Marvel has gone to the point where money is more important than quality. "
    This. 

But it's also because outside of Kyle and Yost, no one at Marvel cares about animated films. DC have Bruce Timm, Dwayne McDuffie, Sam Liu, Lauren Montgomery, Paul Dini, Brandon Vietti etc... working for them, they all love animated films and series, and are more than willing to put the effort in to get them made.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Because DC has a superior production crew in it's film and animation department

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HellionVulcan

Because they don't want to do animation films on guys like moon knight & such so their main guys/gals no longer are the most popular .

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think the biggest reason was because Marvel didn't have another company to relay on like DC has WB, but now that Marvel is under the Disney umbrella it wouldn't surprise me we start seeing more and more Marvel animated movies. Now to finish this I am really hoping they get around to finishing Thor: Son of Asgard some time the next decade.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By batman_is_god
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    @Djinn:
    Marvel is stomping DC's ass in a major way at the box office. Why would they worry about their animated films?
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batman_is_god
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    "Because DC has a superior production crew in it's film and animation department "

As far as animation goes, very much so. It has always been this way. 

As far as box office movies go, Marvel stomps. DC can only get two characters off the ground. How terrible was that Green Lantern trailer?
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By roadbuster
    @Djinn said:
    The creators themselves gravitate towards DC because they've cultivated a reputation for high quality western action animation.  When Marvel does puts out something good, the WB makes them an offer and they typically come over to WB.  The creators of Spectacular Spider-Man, Planet Hulk, Hulk Versus, etc. have gone to work for the WB.  Talent begets talent.  If you're a top CGI animator is your dream to work at Pixar or Dreamworks or Universal? 

It's not cost effective for Marvel to try to compete in same arena so they've simply outsourced it to Madhouse- a Japanese anime studio- which finished a short Iron Man series (employing many cost saving measures such as cell-shaded CGI, Korean fill-ins, short run length, etc) and is just about to release a Wolverine series. 

Of course, outside of fanboyism, Marvel and DC aren't actually in competition anymore than Pixar or Dreamworks are... the success of Marvel or DC in any given field doesn't tend to take dollars from the other since both businesses are built on intellectual property not products.  They're not selling durable goods really, they're selling licensed trademarks, media which can be reproduced at will, and the speculative value of their IP / stock / etc.  Marvel is thrilled when Dark Knight gets an Oscar and crosses the billion dollar mark, DC is excited when Sony or Fox churn out duds that still break $300M, etc.  There's some wrestling for mindshare, sure, but this isn't like the personal computing, automobile, or appliance market where the things are necessary / saturated fighting for a slice of the pie... for comics IP it is very much about growing the pie ("A rising tide raises all boats") and the fact is- outside of fanboyism- they're more partners trying to grow the market than anything else (which most indie works being freeriders on that support of retailers, conventions, distribution, digital infrastructure, etc.).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

The first Avengers/Ultimates animated movie was awesome. Hulk vs Thor and Hulk vs Wolverine were both short but enjoyable.
    budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By budonkadonk

I suppose DC just have more vested in animation; a rich history.   

When comparing the two on the animated front, I see DC more like the timeless War movie and Marvel like the "what's in" action flick.   

I love where DC has gone in the past 6 years or so with their animated movies and it'd be nice to see Marvel match it. 
    The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By The_Warlord
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " Because DC has a superior production crew in it's film and animation department "
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I personally wish Marvel would make movies based off of their own story lines, like DC has done with Doomsday, Red Hood, Public Enemies, ect. Like maybe an Avengers Disassembled that is then lead up by a New Avengers: Breakout movie. Maybe do a Civil War one as well, and heck, throw in Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America to top it all off.

Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Djinn
    @budonkadonk said:
    " I suppose DC just have more vested in animation; a rich history.    When comparing the two on the animated front, I see DC more like the timeless War movie and Marvel like the "what's in" action flick.    I love where DC has gone in the past 6 years or so with their animated movies and it'd be nice to see Marvel match it.  "
    thats what i would like to see. i was watching a dc animation n while watching it i thought it would be cool to see some marvel characters in an animation like that. but there is only very few while dc has many more
    Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Djinn
    @War Killer said:
    " I personally wish Marvel would make movies based off of their own story lines, like DC has done with Doomsday, Red Hood, Public Enemies, ect. Like maybe an Avengers Disassembled that is then lead up by a New Avengers: Breakout movie. Maybe do a Civil War one as well, and heck, throw in Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America to top it all off. "
    i would like 2 c a secret invasion. it would be nice if they create movies based on story lines which i hope in the future they do
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think that the lastest Hulk animated movies Planet Hulk and Hulk vs. 
    Aside from that though the Avengers Movies were horrible so it's a little give and take

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @MrDirector786 said:

" @Djinn said:

Wrong. Marvel opened up their own MOVIE studios. Making lots of live action MOVIES. DC fails at making live action movies. Marvel is actually doing better in the 'film' area than DC, IMO. They are no where near being cheap asses.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
    deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why doesn't Marvel make the Infinity Gauntlet or Secret Wars or Annihilation into animated movies?

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

Why doesn't Marvel make the Infinity Gauntlet or Secret Wars or Annihilation into animated movies?

Good question, but let's be real here, Marvel currently doesn't really create good animated movies or shows, so even if they get the idea to do so, the execution would be poor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
    deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_spectrum:

They'd win so many more fans if they did. I literally cannot stand the sjw direction Marvel has been going in lately. But if they at least had enough sense to animate some of their best classics and stayed true to the source material (at least for the animated material) there would be no stopping them.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

@jagernutt said:

They'd win so many more fans if they did. I literally cannot stand the sjw direction Marvel has been going in lately. But if they at least had enough sense to animate some of their best classics and stayed true to the source material (at least for the animated material) there would be no stopping them.

Absolutely true.

I mean it doesn't take a genius to understand something like this, all Marvel needs to is stay true to source material, hire lots of decent animators, write proper script and be done with it, it will take lots of money to create it, but they would get back much more of it, sometimes they need to take risks.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC Animated Movies will trump Marvel animated movies because of the way there universes is set up which is also why Marvel Live action trumps DC live action. DC world works better with animation because the stories are more fantasy in nature where as Marvel tends to deal with more real world Social issues. Also marvel has always dealt with Social issues so it isn't a new thing like some love to claim. You can basically read any previous marvel comic(1940's-1990's) and see this.

With that being said it simply comes down to preference. Some fans just can't admit that maybe they simply like DC more than Marvel or vice versa.

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does animated movies matter to marvel when their live action movie empire has made billions of dollars.

Great for dc with the animated movies other than the Nolan Batman movies the dceu animated universe is their only bragging right

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djinn said:

I personally enjoy Marvel a lot more than Dc but marvel do not come out with as many cartoon movies as Dc. Im sure Marvel Has the money but what is the reason for not doing it?

Well Marvel and animation is not a great success quality wise exept the X-Men.

DC had the luck to soon partner with WB. WB is far from bad in anmation and has a long history of animation (Merry Melody cartoons for exemple).

Also why waste time on cartoon when the live movies are oddly doing so well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.