Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

What Marvel comics should I read that will lead to AvX?!

Sheldon131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sheldon131

1. So, like the title says, which Marvel comics should I read that will lead to this crossover?!

I'm new with the comics. I like Avengers and the X-Men, but I'm confused about these. I saw comics with New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Young Avengers, Uncanny Avengers and New X-Men or Uncanny X-Men. Something with "What if? "

I don't know what to start.

2. After I will finish with Avengers vs X-Men, can I start the comics released by Marvel NOW! ?

Sheldon131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sheldon131

No one?!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jhazzroucher

i'm not good on this. just wait for somebody who will help you.

MrPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrPsycho

@Sheldon131: There are two basic classification of comics, those that follow the main universe ( Earth 616) and those that do not; alternate realities such as the What if?, the Ultimate universe, Age of Apocalypse, Age of X, Marvel Zombies etc...

AvX takes place in the main reality. To read events preceding AvX, you have to decide do you want to read avengers story lines or x-men story lines, each gives you a different perspective to the lead up to AvX (obviously you can read avengers and X-men, but it might be more expensive) Ill give you a list of main continuity events that you can read which provide a pretty decent lead into AvX

X-Men

Morrisons New X-men 2001-2004

Whedons Astonishing X-Men (2004-2006)

House of M

Messiah Complex

Messiah War

Utopia

Second Coming

Remenders Uncanny X-Force

Schism

Avengers

youre going to have to ask someone else for most avengers titles, i have like no idea as im not a fan haha

House of M (its actually pretty important for both sides)

Avengers disassembled

Civil War

Secret invasion

Dark reign

Siege

Fear Itself

You can buy all of these in collections or digital issues, so that you don't have to buy every individual issue. the ones in bold are more important, the others are just fun to read for the characters. I might have missed some shit out haha, im relatively new myself.

2. This stuff all leads in to marvel now, which was a general restructuring of the number of books they are producing and was designed to be a place for new readers to jump on, although reading these events makes everything a little clearer.

keonas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By keonas

And that's why I can't follow anything from Marvel.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cap10nate

@Sheldon131: The lead in for AVX from the Avengers side is Avengers: X-Sanction. That's about it. All of the other Avengers items mentioned above don't really matter when it comes to AVX. Can't help from the X side, but anything about Hope would probably be helpful. Honestly, I haven't read much of any X-Men stories, but AVX explains what's going on pretty well. I would just read X-Sanction and the intro issue to AVX.

You really don't even need to read AVX to get into Marvel Now as long as you know the major things that happened to the story. Again, I don't know how things are on the X-Men side of the Universe, but other than Uncanny Avengers, there is virtually no impact from AVX for any non X title (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, New Avengers, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Winter Soldier, etc)

I personally wouldn't pump the cash into AVX. It wasn't the best written story and so many people seemed to be written out of character. Instead of buying those twelve issues, read a synopsis and buy twelve issues of a Marvel Now story that you wouldn't have picked up or try the first couple issues of 3 or 4 stories to try them out. Age of Ultron is also coming out next month which looks pretty cool that you could spend the money on.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnnyGat

X-Sanction is all you need really.

Sheldon131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sheldon131

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I'm a total newbie when it comes to Marvel Comics. I never read anything about Marvel Comics, so it's gonna be a little bit difficult.

1. What about The Superior Spider-Man?! What do I have to read for this? (I know that it replace the long running series TheAmazing Spider-Man (700 issues, whaaat?) But, perhaps there is a summary, or something that will lead to this too.

2. And also, there are some issues that will lead to Young Avengers?!

pularickal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pularickal
    Loading Video...

This is a pretty good summary of all the events that lead up to Superior Spider-Man

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.